Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid vs Liverpool - Champions League Final - 26th May 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just highlighting the fact that they where 5 goals ahead and still only Roma went out of the tie because of one goal.Thats getting into bottle territory all right.

No it's not. Roma were never going through. They were two behind with time just up and they got a lucky penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

sabat wrote: »
    Even as a Liverpool fan speaking I don't think it's unrealistic to say that they've never at any point in this competition looked in danger of going out-maybe after City got their goal in the 2nd leg there was a bit of "oh sh1t" but that didn't last long. Real on the other hand could easily have gone out in each of the last 2 rounds.

Doesn't that go into Real favour tho ,Beating the likes of PSG Bayern and Juve and holding there own and getting through.Lets be honest the only team Liverpool were up against it was City fair enough they beat them but that's was the only team.
    Porto and Roma are the easy side of the coin.
    If you can convince me that a Liverpool team that has a lot of injuries espically midfield and lack depth in there squad are going to beat a full strength Real.
    I have heard they beat City argument they have that trophy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Report the post and leave it there

Was I witty Harry? Or lazy? Maybe absurd though? Please don't say I was boring Harry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

It's a one off game, you can argue who are the better team until the cows come home but the game will be decided by which team has the better game on the night.

Madrid have the better squad and more experience and are obviously favourites, but we have every chance of winning and I perfere to be the underdogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I think the violence towards the Man City team in the first leg played a big part in Liverpools win.

Man City weren't in the right frame of mind for the game after being attacked.

LOL even though City players said it never effected them.

and Man City fans can not take the moral high ground about throwing things at a bus after they threw flares on their open top bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

With all the talk of Ronaldo and Salah (and probably Firmino too), I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else win the game.

What about Benzema to finally start playing this season?
    Madrid 1-0 with Casemiro goal?
    Liverpool's Lovren scoring from a corner in the last minute?
    Henderson getting the winner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Kolido wrote: »
    It's a one off game, you can argue who are the better team until the cows come home but the game will be decided by which team has the better game on the night.

Madrid have the better squad and more experience and are obviously favourites, but we have every chance of winning and I perfere to be the underdogs.

I find football is most exciting when it is unpredictable. This game really is a Tough one to call.
    So...Ronaldo will score. Salah will score. Loveren will balls it up at some point. Ramos will do something daft and brilliant. & Milner will score a peno to win the game 3v2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Honestly think Liverpool will win by 2 or 3 goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

xtal191 wrote: »
    Honestly think Liverpool will win by 2 or 3 goals

I think that there will be goals but it's a final and new territory for this Liverpool team. They may start at 100 mph, like previous rounds but I think we'll see them taking a more measured approach myself. Anyone else that Bale could sign off from Madrid with a memorable performance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Berserker wrote: »
    I think that there will be goals but it's a final and new territory for this Liverpool team. They may start at 100 mph, like previous rounds but I think we'll see them taking a more measured approach myself. Anyone else that Bale could sign off from Madrid with a memorable performance?

They were in two finals two years ago.

Could well happen.

Madrid will definitely have more options off the bench, with maybe the likes of Bale, Isco, Lucas Vazquez available to change the game.

Liverpool I think will be sticking with the Plan A they have used all season (which to be fair has served them well so far in the CL).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Both teams to score and real win is surely the only outcome

pudzey101 wrote: »

Yea,sounds like your looking for a bet.
    I am taking Real win and Salah anytime. Two single bet and small double.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If you know it is the only outcome then you will be a rich person on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Yea,sounds like your looking for a bet.
    I am taking Real win and Salah anytime. Two single bet and small double.

id do Ronaldo or salah anytime but you never know what could happen injury wise :/
    5starpool wrote: »
    If you know it is the only outcome then you will be a rich person on Sunday.

surely worth a punt :) real on paper should be winning , but with pools performances in the competition its a tough one to say who :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

TitianGerm wrote: »

Not the CL final and not this team. Salah is the focal point of this team and he only joined this season. This Real side has won the CL in three out of the last four seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I think Liverpool need to get out in front as I'm not confident of them being able to chase Madrid down without giving up more goals.

Diagonal balls over the top or balls targeted towards TAA and Robertson could be an issue if Ronaldo and Bale pull on them, both are taller and better in the air. I can see Madrid lining up as they did at the weekend (except Navas back in) so Marcelo needs to be kept quiet down the left with Liverpool attacking that side and TAA getting forward when he can to keep him back. Madrid going with the four midfielders will likely mean Firmino getting between Casemiro and a CB and shuttling between the two.

As we've seen with Mane in the last six months he's turned more into playmaker coming from the left than a 'winger' and has been a great ball carrier to get attacks going (he was fantastic at in the second leg in Rome, picking the ball up deep in his half and skipping by multiple players to get back up the pitch). He'll be vital here to spring attacks as I think Madrid will dominate possession with Liverpool looking to press when they can and at other times sit back and steal it when Madrid have over committed. That's when him running could take the Madrid midfielders out of the game as none of them will have the speed to keep up.

On the other hand their defence don't have a speed issue (which I think is being a little overlooked) when Liverpool win the ball and try and break. Liverpool will need to catch them flat footed/out of position to make use of counter attacks as their speed alone won't leave the Madrid back line struggling to keep up like it has a lot of teams.

Also I think a lot is being said that this one could be one too far for this Madrid team but this team isn't old. Most of this team are in their prime, 25-30 year olds with only Navas, Ramos, Modric and Ronaldo being over 30. Their squad is a little weaker than it was in years past which probably shows in their league performance but the guts of this team is in their prime.

Saying all that I'm hoping Liverpool can pull the upset, start fast and get ahead. I'm going 2-3 to Liverpool. Liverpool to go up 0-2 (VVD and Firmino), Ronaldo to pull one back, Liverpool break and Mane makes it 1-3 only for Ramos to score a bullet header with 5/10 to go and Liverpool hold out and I'm a nervous wreck by the end of it. Can't wait now

Which they both lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Which they both lost.

Third time lucky so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sure City walked the league and Liverpool could only draw with Stoke, West Brom and Everton but Liverpool still knocked City out of the Champions League.

I think the violence towards the Man City team in the first leg played a big part in Liverpools win.

Man City weren't in the right frame of mind for the game after being attacked.
    What about us beating them away and in the Prem ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

away with your logic!!!

Madrid on paper are Fav's
    They have the experience
    Have the better players 1-11 and even sub
    The one big thing that Liverpool have that Madrid will struggle with is intensity , La Liga is not played with the same intensity as the Prem,
    Madrid struggled in the group stages with Spurs due to the intensity of both games, No time to settle and getting after them quickly, not long balls but going from back to front as quick as possible,
    Roma couldn't cope in the first leg with it they had no answer for it ,European side are just not used to it , Its a huge X factor for Liverpool .,
    The old saying is normal in the final to not give anything away early and be cagey , but Liverpool have to flip that and go after Madrid from minute on its there big chance of wining,
    Its quite clear the sides Liverpool really struggle with and ones who sit deep and play a low block, Even United and Chelsea played this way at home to Liverpool , Real will not they will attack and its suits Liverpool down to the ground,
    Basically Madrid are favourites probably rightly so  but it wouldn't surprise me if Liverpool beat them by a couple of goals,

Not the CL final and not this team. Salah is the focal point of this team and he only joined this season. This Real side has won the CL in three out of the last four seasons.
    Salah is not the focal point at all,
    Its clear as day Bobby as the focal point of Liverpool and how they play ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

That's only around a 5/2 shot.
    I don't want Real Madrid to win, but I'm wary of their bench, and I'm convinced that Liverpool only possess a Plan A (albeit a quite successful one) so I'll have a few quid @17/1 on Liverpool HT/Real Madrid FT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Liverpool are around 5/1 to win first half/fulltime.

Good odds that, not saying Liverpool are gonna win, I think it's a 50/50 game.
    But if Liverpool do win they will win it in the fist half I reckon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Madrid can only play one way, play like that against the best attack in Europe with the 3 boys up top and they will be battered [if Liverpool perform as they can]
    Yes im a confident Liverpool fan but you dont get this without being confident.

If Liverpool keep Modric and Kross quiet thats half the battle won as they are key to Madrids tempo, our lads in midfield will be full of energy closing down everything so hopefully that will go a long way towards deciding the outcome.

Ofcourse all the above will mean nothing if Liverpool dont play atleast close to the standard they have done throughout the campaign.

3-1 Liverpool win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just run at them, run behind them. Make it uncomfortable for Modric and Kroos. This Madrid side are beatable, they have weaknesses as do Liverpool but the front 3 have the ability just blow away any side. Madrid will give them space it won't be a tight affair,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Dcully wrote: »
    Madrid can only play one way, play like that against the best attack in Europe with the 3 boys up top and they will be battered [if Liverpool perform as they can]

Liverpool do not have the best attack in Europe. If given the choice any sane judge would take the Barca or PSG frontline ahead of them. You cant let some success in a crapshoot competition let you loose all sense of reality. They're very good but a good bit short of the best.

Rekop dog wrote: »

Liverpool do not have the best attack in Europe. If given the choice any sane judge would take the Barca or PSG frontline ahead of them. You cant let some success in a crapshoot competition let you loose all sense of reality. They're very good but a good bit short of the b
    Liverpool have the best front 3 in Europe
    There front 3 have 90 goals this season which is more than any other front 3 in Europe, So yes they do have the best front 3 in Europe ,

There front 3 have 90 goals this season which is more than any other front 3 in Europe, So yes they do have the best front 3 in Europe ,

Barca largely played front two so it's not a fair comparison. But Messi and Suarez' combined goals is more than any combination of Salah Firm and Mane and Salah is the only one who'd make that Barca line up out of the 3. And La Liga is a much tougher league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

And La Liga is a much tougher league.

What are you smoking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Not sure, smells a touch bitter. :)

Barca largely played front two so it's not a fair comparison. But Messi and Suarez' combined goals is more than any combination of Salah Firm and Mane and Salah is the only one who'd make that Barca line up out of the 3. And La Liga is a much tougher league.
    Not my problem Barca attack is made up of just 2,
    Liverpool attack is made up of 3 and no other 3 or 2 can  match them for goals in Europe ,
    La Liga is not even close in to the Prem for toughness,
    The bottom half of La Liga is dross that wouldn't look out of place in the championship ,
     Barca, the two Madrid's and possibly Seville are they only top teams ,
    In prem you have Spurs, Chelsea ,United , Liverpool, City, Arsenal all big teams,

Also Suarez and Messi with there less goals than Liverpool front 3 also play for the run away leaders , Liverpool came 4th imagine if they have the lads Messi and Sureaz have behind them .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The bottom half of La Liga is dross that wouldn't look out of place in the championship

The bottom half sides in Spain, Germany, Italy & England are all absolutely atrocious at the minute.
    It's not exclusive to any country. There isn't any of those leagues healthy top to bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Liverpool do not have the best attack in Europe. If given the choice any sane judge would take the Barca or PSG frontline ahead of them. You cant let some success in a crapshoot competition let you loose all sense of reality. They're very good but a good bit short of the best.

Don't know if you missed it but they've been scoring quite a lot in the league as well as the "crapshoot competition" as you quaintly put it. A far higher standard league than Ligue 1 for a start.

ERG89 wrote: »
    The bottom half of La Liga is dross that wouldn't look out of place in the championship

The bottom half sides in Spain, Germany, Italy & England are all absolutely atrocious at the minute.
    It's not exclusive to any country. There isn't any of those leagues healthy top to bottom.
    I certainly think the bottom half of the Prem is a mile better than the other leagues,
    In fact id say the top half of the championship would give the other leagues outside of there top 5 a good run for there money ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Madrid can only play one way
    You only need to have watched champions league finals to know this isn't the case.

I certainly think the bottom half of the Prem is a mile better than the other leagues, In fact id say the top half of the championship would give the other leagues outside of there top 5 a good run for there money ,

Not on the evidence of anything I saw this year. The worst part is they spend big money to be that bad.

• Advertisement

I certainly think the bottom half of the Prem is a mile better than the other leagues, In fact id say the top half of the championship would give the other leagues outside of there top 5 a good run for there money ,

Not on the evidence of anything I saw this year. The worst part is they spend big money to be that bad.
    Just two quick examples below .,

WBA , beat United at old Trafford draw with Liverpool and beat Spurs all in there last 5 games
    Huddersfield draw away to City then beat Chelsea in next games .,

This does not happen in La Liga, ye sure every once in a blue moon there is a one off result against a top team but never more than one in a blue moon from the same team

WBA , beat United at old Trafford draw with Liverpool and beat Spurs all in there last 5 games

This does not happen in La Liga, ye sure every once in a blue moon there is a one off result against a top team but never more than one in a blue moon from the same team

Levante finished 15th & beat Barcelona 5-4, ending a near 50 game undefeated streak. Against a very good side. West brom beating United said more about United than it did West brom. If you genuinely believe the likes of Palace, Watford or Brighton are good teams you can but they are poor teams just happy to get in the league.

Levante finished 15th & beat Barcelona 5-4, ending a near 50 game undefeated streak. Against a very good side. West brom beating United said more about United than it did West brom. If you genuinely believe the likes of Palace, Watford or Brighton are good teams you can but they are poor teams just happy to get in the league.
    Exactly one game happens once in a blue   moon that's it,
    NO way can you convince me the bottom of la Liga is anywhere near as good at the bottom half of the Prem,
    The prem is a much tougher league

Your mixed up,Liverpool lost there away leg to City in the prem.

Does anybody have suggested lineup what to get a look at what liverpool have in mid field,not certain of all the injurys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Does anybody have suggested lineup what to get a look at what liverpool have in mid field,not certain of all the injurys.

Liverpool beat Man City both home and away in the Champions league is what he is talking about as well as betting them at Anfield at home.

The away game and league game there were no such bus incident so what was Man Citys excuse for losing those games

I'm not I said what about us beating the away , and in the prem (at  home )

• Advertisement

Liverpool beat Man City both home and away in the Champions league is what he is talking about as well as betting them at Anfield at home.

The away game and league game there were no such bus incident so what was Man Citys excuse for losing those games

NO excuse beat fair and square.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Ste- wrote: »
    What are you smoking!

What are you smoking?

Have you watched the quality of games a Palace V Brighton produce compared to a Levante V Sociedad for example?

Id take a wager and say no, you very rarely watch Spanish Football.

Madrids front 3 (no matter which 3 plays) are just as good as Liverpool's IMO, Madrids midfield has more quality but Liverpools work rate could match them, Defences are both dodgy enough, same with Keepers.

Its anyones game, wouldnt be surprised for it to go all the way

The top 3 are fairly consistently so good in Spain it lessens the likelihood of upsets. This doesn't mean the lower sides in La Liga are weaker. Sure City are the first genuinely good(up to Barca Real, Atleti level) team in the prem in about 5 years and they demolished the league.

Spain have dominated the top tier European competition in recent years, they've dominated the 2nd tier European competition and I'm sure they'd be equally dominant if their was lower tier Euro comps. You only have the watch a lower league La Liga game and they're easily of higher quality than any other league in Europe.

There's a huge familiarity bias with Premier League fans over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Any chance of the prices of flights going down this late? This is crazy, but I'm after landing two tickets though I'm getting priced out of going over. Really at a loss with what to do, it was a very short time-frame to get the tickets and I am badly stuck. If I sell them at face value, how can I be confident they won't be sold for a major profit?

Any chance of the prices of flights going down this late? This is crazy, but I'm after landing two tickets though I'm getting priced out of going over. Really at a loss with what to do, it was a very short time-frame to get the tickets and I am badly stuck. If I sell them at face value, how can I be confident they won't be sold for a major profit?

You can't be.

But you do know the match is in 3 days? You obviously wouldn't have the time to post them, so I'd say you have a limited market for them, as no-one will be able to organise to get to Kiev for Saturday evening starting from now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement