Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Yorkshire 2018 - live coverage

Options
  • 03-05-2018 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Tour de Yorkshire starts today.

Live TV coverage of a women's race.
    Equal prize money for the women's and men's race.
    I know!
    Women's stage 1 this morning, Stage 2 tomorrow morning

ITV4 is showing live coverage, but if you can't access that site
    <Snip>

Men's 4 stages also being shown over the next 4 afternoons.
    (Irish team Aquablue have 7 riders inc Eddie Dunbar racing).

https://letour.yorkshire.com/information/tv-coverage/

Enjoy.

Comments

Ah cheers for the heads up I was set for the mens race but had no idea the women were being shown. It's on now. 99km to go and looks like a cracking day for bike racing there too. Rochelle Gilmore on commentary with Lizzy Deignan on with her at the minute speaking about racing.

Also: Go Lydia!!! haven't seen her but see her name on the start list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Lydia Boylan is there?
    I bought a cycling jersey from her once, laughed when I got it in the post. It was tiny - but too big for her! Had to sell it on - I think it was actually an old Boards cycling jersey!
    What team is she racing for today do you know, I can't see her listed?

Yes having Lizzie and Rochelle commentating is excellent.

I found her, she's racing for WNT Rotar a British team

She's not listed as a team rider on the website but her twitter page says she's No.93

Spotter her national champs jersey about 20km ago out the back trying to get back in with another rider. Last I saw she'd made it back in to the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Ben Walsh who is 18 and from Westport is riding for Vitus Pro Team. His first race at this level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

How did the Holdsworth team come to be registered in Ireland?

Seven Worlds will Collide

How did the Holdsworth team come to be registered in Ireland?

Likely registration fees were cheaper here and they have 4 or 5 Irish riders. Sean McKenna is riding today also.

Isn't there an Italian team also registered here?

Think I recall them talking about that during a race on Eurosport recently and questioning how they pulled it off as they were mostly italian riders and you have to have a certain riders of X nationality to register in X country. Maybe I misheard or Carlton Kirby was full of you know what.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Think I recall them talking about that during a race on Eurosport recently and questioning how they pulled it off as they were mostly italian riders and you have to have a certain riders of X nationality to register in X country. Maybe I misheard or Carlton Kirby was full of you know what.
    It was definitely mentioned. I think Tour of the Alps, so maybe Nippo Vini Fantini?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

My preferred link to watch all the cycling on-line

<snip>

Happy that Kirsten Wild won that, with Dideriksen second.
    Tomorrow's stage will be way more interesting especially given that the finish is up the Cow and Calf hill out of Ilkley.
    Lydia got a good bit of TV coverage there and a mention as the nominated sprinter for WNT, good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Proud day for the Covey Wheelers having Ben Walsh there. And been a neighbour of mine! :)

I'm going to get sacked watching this on the phone! :D

He's in some company there today. Saw earlier a few of the pro's in conversation with some lads from the Conti teams.

Ben is 177 I think for those wanting to keep an eye out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Interesting finish going on now, with it being a sprinters day it looks like they might have been caught napping and the break might get it. 7.6km to go with 51 seconds

Love it when that happens !!! Fair play to the fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Eddie Dunbar v GVA ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Go on Eddie boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

One of the race marshals had a lucky escape when the Astana car made a beeline for him
    https://twitter.com/nathlukecurrie/status/993193393814634496

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

cunavalos wrote: »
    One of the race marshals had a lucky escape when the Astana car made a beeline for him

Holy fcuk! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭f1000

That is mental! And he was lucky to avoid the BMC car too. Poo Pants!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

As regards the racing, very impressive showing from Dunbar and depending on the route selected suggests both he and Dan Martin could seriously target the World Championships being held in Yorkshire in 2019.

Tough steep climbs seem to feature heavily in that part of the world and the local organising committee will probably choose a route favourable for a home win so expect a course suitable for one of the Yates brothers

• Advertisement

Eddie finished 8th in the GC at 27 seconds off GvA

Lol the comments loads of media outlets looking to use the clip and him chancing his arm for a few quid :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So 2 years ago they went past the house where I was born, and today they went close to my former flat in Leeds, and took the junction where I crashed my first car back in 1985.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Beasty wrote: »
    So 2 years ago they went past the house where I was born, and today they went close to my former flat in Leeds, and took the junction where I crashed my first car back in 1985.....:)

Didn't know you crashed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Beasty wrote: »

Wait, you crashed!? :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Tough steep climbs seem to feature heavily in that part of the world and the local organising committee will probably choose a route favourable for a home win so expect a course suitable for one of the Yates brothers

Rented a bike in Yorkshire last year. Dotted with short, steep climbs of well over 10% and descents to match.

There's one north of Harrogate called Greenhow Hill, that is the single hardest climb I've probably ever done. It's relatively narrow, and you'd have a fair bit of traffic, it's only 3km, and it averages out at 8% but there are 2 killer points of about 20% gradient.

It's a dangerous descent too, lined with old wall and there's a blind junction near the bottom where you'd be easily doing 70kmph+ that traffic darts out of.

That said, it was a great day, and it was a lot like cycling Wicklow.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They did Sutton Bank on stage 3. That's pretty much the hardest climb in Yorkshire (caravans are banned from the road there). I attempted it myself on a hybrid 20 years or so ago when I was doing a coast to coast. I'll admit to walking up at least half of it

They also went past another of my schools (from 50 years ago!) in Helmsley on that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I know it's a closed road, but surely some kind of action need to taken against Astana, and the Driver for that. An apology to the Marshall is simply not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I know it's a closed road, but surely some kind of action need to taken against Astana, and the Driver for that. An apology to the Marshall is simply not enough.
    The marshal was unharmed; the "driver" was the DS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Lumen wrote: »
    The marshal was unharmed; the "driver" was the DS.

He could have been easily killed.

I did read else where that the driver was the director.

I do find it scary/shocking at times, seeing the directors driving whilst taking on the radio, giving instructions out of the window, etc.

Seen a few high profile incidents over the years, so maybe it's something directors, and the organisers have to look at and examine.

Advertisement