Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you deal with a snitch in work?

Options
  • 03-05-2018 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Someone who deliberately tells tales on you, even if their own work is n't up to scratch? Also, if this person is very nice to your face but secretly bad - mouthing you to management behind your back?

I often wonder what motivates people to 'tell tales' on others. Would it not be better use of their time concentrating on doing their own work ,and keeping their own job, than wondering what other people they work with, are doing and not doing, and finding time to go to management 'bitching' about people?? I notice this in all female workplaces.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Snitches get stitches

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

They are doing it to distract from their own professional shortcomings. What you'll often find is that lots of these types stir the pot and sit back and let others fight their battles for them. Look closely to see if there's a stirrer behind the tattle tale - often there is, and that's another one you also need to watch.

The best way to deal with them is to keep it professional, be very careful about disclosing anything personal, never give them anything that they could run to HR or management about, document your own work so they can't take credit for yours, and rise above them telling tales. And in particular, don't offer or be duped into sending their snotty emails to others or get involved in their petty drama.

Management want to be focused on running the business. Tattle-tales or people who go looking for things to moan about are the bane of a managers life. I've never met a good manager who thinks of them as anything other than petty time-wasters.

What management prefer are people who are calm under pressure, cheerful and gets on well with everyone and who has the ability to present a problem and a solution together that they can just sign off on and forget about. They like people who can own up to their own mistakes and fix them rather than try to pin blame on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Neyite wrote: »
    Tattle-tales or people who go looking for things to moan about are the bane of a managers life. I've never met a good manager who thinks of them as anything other than petty time-wasters.

Completely agree.

Such employees will typically stick out like a very sore thumb and also very typically fail to make any noteworthy career advancements themselves.

I would not spend too much time pondering this one OP if the management are in any way decent. This person is more than likely just harming themselves in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Neyite wrote: »
    They are doing it to distract from their own professional shortcomings. What you'll often find is that lots of these types stir the pot and sit back and let others fight their battles for them. Look closely to see if there's a stirrer behind the tattle tale - often there is, and that's another one you also need to watch.

The best way to deal with them is to keep it professional, be very careful about disclosing anything personal, never give them anything that they could run to HR or management about, document your own work so they can't take credit for yours, and rise above them telling tales. And in particular, don't offer or be duped into sending their snotty emails to others or get involved in their petty drama.

Management want to be focused on running the business. Tattle-tales or people who go looking for things to moan about are the bane of a managers life. I've never met a good manager who thinks of them as anything other than petty time-wasters.

What management prefer are people who are calm under pressure, cheerful and gets on well with everyone and who has the ability to present a problem and a solution together that they can just sign off on and forget about. They like people who can own up to their own mistakes and fix them rather than try to pin blame on others.

Well, that very much depends on the manager, I have had managers before that went through me just for showing a tiny bit of initiative or other managers who hate it when you own up to mistakes and prefer a culture of cover up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’ve mamaged in a few different environments and these people are a fact of life.
    But do know that managers know what they are like and much of their story carrying is through insecurities and shortcomings in their own work.

I find it’s nearly a distraction technique for many of them, they think if they point out some rubbish for you to look at you won’t notice or you might over look their issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭little miss sunshine1

Are there 'snitches' in every workplace?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Worked with one once. Since then he tried to push his salary up by suggesting he was going to leave. They weren't having it and now he has to work away from home without an opportunity to find related employment back there.

Morale of the story is that snitches think they are too good and will find out ultimately that they're not.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Are there 'snitches' in every workplace?

Not always, but often. I've worked with plenty in previous jobs. This one seems snitch-free thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Mars bar unopened, honky dory empty packet and 8 used matches! Job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

I work with a guy and its actually part of his job to watch everyone and report back to management about every little issue he sees he deems inappropriate, while he carries on with his regular days job.

Only myself and 2 others knew about this originally but we made certain we warned everyone else on the floor.

And like someone else mentioned he's nice as pie to me while bitching about others and then bitches about me to the same guys he was bitching about.

I do everything in my power to avoid him but also do stuff to wind the **** outta him. Then when I get called on it occasionally by management I always have a valid answer. Why he accepted this role is beyond me. 2 faced prick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

OP, are you doing stuff that warrants being reported up the line? If you are, it isn’t ‘bitching’. From your posting, you sound young: if this is your first real job then you need to learn to manage relationships with your colleagues, and understand that not everyone is going to be your friend. Concentrate on doing your own job so you’re not doing anything that requires reporting to management.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Someone who deliberately tells tales on you, even if their own work is n't up to scratch? Also, if this person is very nice to your face but secretly bad - mouthing you to management behind your back?

I often wonder what motivates people to 'tell tales' on others. Would it not be better use of their time concentrating on doing their own work ,and keeping their own job, than wondering what other people they work with, are doing and not doing, and finding time to go to management 'bitching' about people?? I notice this in all female workplaces.

tells tales?

Is this a transition year mini company?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Depends on the situation, some people think others are "snitching" when actually they are trying to protect the business from wasters.

lawred2 wrote: »
    tells tales?

Is this a transition year mini company?

Sorry, what?

OP, are you doing stuff that warrants being reported up the line? If you are, it isn’t ‘bitching’. From your posting, you sound young: if this is your first real job then you need to learn to manage relationships with your colleagues, and understand that not everyone is going to be your friend. Concentrate on doing your own job so you’re not doing anything that requires reporting to management.

No. As a matter of fact, I was employed under the Wage Subsidy Scheme, which means my employer receives a subsidy from the Social Welfare of 5.30 an hour for my lack of productivity. I am in my mid 30s.

I am then expected to work in two places at once, told I am 'too slow' (physically) to do things at work, even though my employer receives the above money for that very reason. I was reported by a staff member for not getting the time to do a task, even despite my other workload. In fact, I know for a fact most of the staff are employed under the same scheme. It seems to me that the longer serving staff are allowed to throw their weight around, doing as little as possible, and furthermore, management want staff to be as fast as someone not employed under the scheme, yet claim the funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

No. As a matter of fact, I was employed under the Wage Subsidy Scheme, which means my employer receives a subsidy from the Social Welfare of 5.30 an hour for my lack of productivity. I am in my mid 30s.

I am then expected to work in two places at once, told I am 'too slow' (physically) to do things at work, even though my employer receives the above money for that very reason. I was reported by a staff member for not getting the time to do a task, even despite my other workload. In fact, I know for a fact most of the staff are employed under the same scheme. It seems to me that the longer serving staff are allowed to throw their weight around, doing as little as possible, and furthermore, management want staff to be as fast as someone not employed under the scheme, yet claim the funding.

OP, I think you’ve posted about this job before. I’m unfamiliar with the work scheme you’re on, but if you are that unhappy there I suggest you start looking for other work. But, please understand that other workplaces are likely to have similar standards and apply the same kind of pressure. If you have a case worker or other support I suggest you discuss the matter with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

We have one in my work place , he over laughes at everything and is everyone's best friend ....to their face....

Everyone knows him ...bosses know him....

Carry on your own job and leave hin to his own self destruct life...I pity him to be honest and I believe he probably sufferers from depression as he has a lot of time off sick with bad back but can't see anything wrong with him lifting stuff at work..

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

I thought you had left that job OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,980 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Everyone should fill him with plenty of lies then the boss won't even pay him any heed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Mars bar unopened, honky dory empty packet and 8 used matches! Job done!

Can someone enlighten me to what you can do with some used matches an empty crisp packet and a mars bar??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Snitching is playing the political game in a job. You run down others so you can bolster yourself. In theory at least. I hate it yet so many do it.
    The sad truth is if you work in an environment like that you must do the same yourself. Even if only towards that person who loves to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,368 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But there is presumably a lower limit to the allowable reduction in productivity. Which means there is still a minimum standard that you individually are expected to achieve. If you are reaching this standard, you've nothing to worry about.
    However, if this "snitch" is in fact some sort of a supervisor, or senior staff member - then you might not be (assuming they are aware of your conditions of employment.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Sounds like the OP doesn't think her work needs to be of the same standard as others because the company gets a rebate.

What are you talking about, fullstop?

It has absolutely nothing to do with 'standard' of work.

W.S.S. concerns productivity and time management.

All staff where I work, are employed under the scheme, including the longer serving staff. The employer has said they have no other means to employ anyone due to financial restraints.

It's rather hyprocritical of the supervisors to criticise those lower in rank about not being fast enough to do their work, and work in two places at the same time ( I'd like to see them do it :P) when they themselves are employed under the same scheme with the same concessions made.

Seems to me like the management have conveniently forgotten why they are getting the funding, and are acting like spoilt children, wanting everything their own way. They need reminding they don't receive that money for no reason.

Next time you want to write a poorly informed comment like the above, get your facts right before mouthing off. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

OP, if you are still in that job, you need to put all your efforts into finding something different. That's where your priorities should lie, dealing with the different people at work should not be taking up your headspace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

OP you have to put up with major crap in any job your working in. Whether with colleagues, bad management, 3rd parties or companies you support.

Just keep the head down and not make a scene and carry on doing your work as well as you can. Never give out about the colleague directly to other employees or to management. You sound like me when I was 25. Thought I was doing the work of two people and better than everyone else when in reality I wasn't and thought I was irreplaceable. I was probably around average on a team of 12.

What is probably happening is the management is asking this person how you are getting on and giving an honest answer.

If you kick up a fuss they will see you as a troublemaker and won't be long out the door. The last thing any company wants is a troublemaker.

You have to put up with crap in every workplace. I learned through experience that most workplaces are the same. Just forget about work after 5.30. You have to remember your just a number.

If you can't get over it then leave but you need to learn to deal with this BS instead of letting it get on top of you. It will be the best attribute you can get by going by your posts. It doesn't really seem like your overworked that much

And yes people that are there the longest usually have extra privileges. Are you 100% sure they are not doing extra work for the management in the background or working on side projects?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Cordell

Can someone enlighten me to what you can do with some used matches an empty crisp packet and a mars bar??

Imply that he smokes weed at work.
    "he got the munchies after lighting something up with those matches" wink-wink-nudge.

It has absolutely nothing to do with 'standard' of work.

W.S.S. concerns productivity and time management.
    Production and time management is a measure of standard of work.

It's rather hyprocritical of the supervisors to criticise those lower in rank about not being fast enough to do their work, and work in two places at the same time ( I'd like to see them do it :P) when they themselves are employed under the same scheme with the same concessions made.
    It's actually not.
    The scheme means the acceptable standard is lower for you. But if you are not meeting your own lower standard, a supervisor would be expected to point that out. Regardless of being on the same scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 meadow1

OP you have to put up with major crap in any job your working in. Whether with colleagues, bad management, 3rd parties or companies you support.

Just keep the head down and not make a scene and carry on doing your work as well as you can. Never give out about the colleague directly to other employees or to management. You sound like me when I was 25. Thought I was doing the work of two people and better than everyone else when in reality I wasn't and thought I was irreplaceable. I was probably around average on a team of 12.

What is probably happening is the management is asking this person how you are getting on and giving an honest answer.

If you kick up a fuss they will see you as a troublemaker and won't be long out the door. The last thing any company wants is a troublemaker.

You have to put up with crap in every workplace. I learned through experience that most workplaces are the same. Just forget about work after 5.30. You have to remember your just a number.

If you can't get over it then leave but you need to learn to deal with this BS instead of letting it get on top of you. It will be the best attribute you can get by going by your posts. It doesn't really seem like your overworked that much

And yes people that are there the longest usually have extra privileges. Are you 100% sure they are not doing extra work for the management in the background or working on side projects?

To be fair, henryford80 - you are not in a position to say that the OP is not overworked that much. You have no understanding of the volume of work to be completed day by day.

However, in any job, what nobody likes (or needs) is a troublemaker, who runs to management over trivial things, to deflect from their own professional shortcomings, so management won't be on their back as often, or putting their work standard under the microscope, which is what sounds like what is happening in the OP's job.

So, you think that the OP would be a troublemaker by not letting themselves be taken advantage of, and asked to do the work of two, maybe three people, which in itself is totally unreasonable, so that the people who run to management can lie around all day doing nothing?

"Never give out about the colleague directly to other employees, or to management" - you say this, when it's clearly what the person doing the 'reporting' is doing to the OP.

• Advertisement

meadow1 wrote: »
    However, in any job, what nobody likes (or needs) is a troublemaker, who runs to management over trivial things...
    The person doing the reporting is the OPs supervisor. Reporting to management is not trouble-making, it's literally their job.

Advertisement