Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a recovered heroin user

Options
12346»

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 84 Verified rep I'm a recovered heroin user, AMA

There was a couple of addicts sitting across from me on the red luas a while back, they were talking about using & comparing wounds, pulling down jeans & rolling up tops not a bother to them, showing each other. A few min later they moved to an empty seat directly behind me, one kept sketch while the other cooked up & used (My back was to them, Im assuming this is what happened based on the conversation between them)In fairness, they didnt so much as make eye contact with me.
    But it was still pretty horrible & intimidating to witness imo.

Do you think the introduction of injecting rooms will stop this kind of thing?
    Why do so many addicts leave their used needles lying around where innocent kids can accidentally get them... Ive seen them in parks near playgrounds! Im assuming all consideration for others goes out the window?
    How long would someone be using to get open sores & wounds?

A friends mam said to me when I was younger that we are all only one bad decision away from it. That really stuck with me, I try to be sympathetic but it is difficult in situations like I described above.

Yep that's not nice to have to witness, I doubt they'd have cared if there were kids or elderly people around either. Injection rooms would probably help, but some people just don't give a s*it and will probably still do it anywhere.

• Company Representative Posts: 84 Verified rep I'm a recovered heroin user, AMA

maninasia wrote: »

At least you are being honest. I've been approached a lot in town when younger and absolutely hated it.  O'Connell Street is ruined with this behaviour. Also a lot of them were menacing, starting from asking for a cigarette and then getting very bolshie. Do many drug addicts have a sense of entitlement and bitterness to regular folk? Cos a lot of them seem to have an edge to them. I've even had them come up to me outside pubs when I'm in the middle of conversation, every 5 minutes looking for money and smokes. When they didn't get it they'd get offended even though they are the ones being bloody rude and threatening. I believe that kind of mindset gets them on the street in the first place.

What are you going to do to make up to the people you deceived? You approached what you felt to be the most vulnerable members of the public.
    I don't mean you need to do it now but you definitely owe those people when you are back on your feet.

Also do the cops do anything about addicts hanging around the city center all the time or do they just basically walk by unless a crime is reported? Are there any efforts to move people on?

Sorry if I come across harshly and fair play for getting things together. I do wish you the best of luck in settling down and you are still young and that is your ace in your sleeve.

Yep some people do seem really entitled, it probably is that in a lot of cases, but in some it's just desperation/urgency and not caring what others think. "I have to get money by x time or else".

I've thought about this alot and I'm not sure, the only thing that comes to mind is to to do some voluntary work in the community, try to give back. Maybe speak to school kids and try stop them from from repeating some of my early mistakes.

There's nothing the cops can do to stop people hanging around, if they tell people to move they'll just move somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

If you’re on a methadone program, how often does someone check to see if you’re using heroin? Is there any effects of using the two concurrently?

Fair play to you for getting clean and sharing your experiences.

I am not trying to be flippant or make light of the seriousness of your situation but just to maybe lighten the mood a little. You must have the odd funny tale or good story from the whole time. Care to share one?

I know for a fact that I do/did have lots. But trying to think of some now and it all seems like a blur, I don't really remember many details of specific events and I think there's lots I'm blocking out too. I'll have a think!!

jlm29 wrote: »
    If you’re on a methadone program, how often does someone check to see if you’re using heroin? Is there any effects of using the two concurrently?

You take a urine test weekly at minimum, sometimes more if you have a history of giving dirty samples. Methadone just stops you from feeling sick, it doesn't get you high, heroin will still have same effect as normal. It can make it easier to OD if you have taken a lot of methadone and then use on top of it

• Advertisement

Great AMA, and very well written.

You mentioned that some people who were given methodone would then sell it on. But you’ve also said how crap it is. Why is there a market for it then?

Just to stop you from feeling sick after your fix wears off and you are trying to get money etc. Or sometimes there might be nothing around for a few hours or a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭popcornbowl

How did you know how to find the right vein and inject into it the right way the first time you did it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Just to stop you from feeling sick after your fix wears off and you are trying to get money etc. Or sometimes there might be nothing around for a few hours or a day.

Would droughts be common? What’s the longest drought you expierenced? Have you said where in the country you were previously? If not and do not want to, was it a big city or a town?

As allways thanks

How did you know how to find the right vein and inject into it the right way the first time you did it?

I had someone else do it for me the first few times

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Would droughts be common? What’s the longest drought you expierenced? Have you said where in the country you were previously? If not and do not want to, was it a big city or a town?

As allways thanks

Not really, just maybe a few hours or so at worst. There was about 10 days back in 2009 or 2010, dunno what happened but there was nothing around. Almost everyone I knew was almost over the worst of it, but used again as soon as it came back because it wasn't voluntary.

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »

As allways thanks

Sorry and I was always in/around Dublin. I don't really know what it's like around the rest of the country, but people tend to migrate towards big cities because it's easier

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Just reading this thread, I've no questions to add. Just wanted to say that not many people pull themselves out of situations like yours. You used for 8 years and ended up on the streets. Its rare people come back from that. Now you are clean, have a place to live and back doing a course. You did that without much support from family and friends. That takes a lot of will power and strength. I know you feel guilty about the past but I hope you can see what you achieved and you can feel proud of yourself. The past is just that. What is important is what you are doing now. Seriously well done and congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Is it true that veins eventually become unusable for injecting after a few times??

Where in your body were you injecting?

Are heroin suppositories a real thing like in trainspotting??

John_D80 wrote: »
    Is it true that veins eventually become unusable for injecting after a few times??

Where in your body were you injecting?

Are heroin suppositories a real thing like in trainspotting??

Yep, it becomes really hard to find veins after using them for a while. I started using in the back of my hand at very first because it was easier (but extremely obvious), arms etc. Then I'd use my feet. I used to hate seeing long term users shoot up in their neck or groin, for the groin you need to use a blue needle which is like an inch and a half long.

I don't know, never heard or encountered anything like that myself. I'm sure something like that probably exists in the medical field though.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Is there any difference in heroin from different parts of the world? Or even from different dealers? Quality wise. Would you notice good or bad heroin?

Like the way there are different strains of weed - make you feel different ways.

EIREDriver wrote: »
    Is there any difference in heroin from different parts of the world? Or even from different dealers? Quality wise. Would you notice good or bad heroin?

Like the way there are different strains of weed - make you feel different ways.

There's definitely a quality difference around the world, but I've only had Dublin stuff. Yeah, you can definitely tell if it's good or not! The main difference between dealers/stuff around Dublin is if they cut it or how much and with what, there's some f*ckers who peddle real muck.

There was a issue a few years back where some higher quality/uncut stuff was going around and a good few people OD'd because they couldn't judge the strength.

There's a lot of problems in the US/UK with people using fentanyl to cut it, nasty stuff. Apparently has killed a lot of people. I never encountered anything like that, but apparently it's coming here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/fears-that-potent-drug-fentanyl-may-take-hold-in-ireland-1.3179575

Most of what I'd encounter was cutting with baby laxatives and other sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Coming from an area which, albeit small has been plagued with a drug epidemic for many many years, I've often seen people use almost anything when the heroin isn't here or the money isn't there to purchase them. Everything from relaxers to coke. Have you noticed or encountered this?

Also, to add, I'm glad this thread is making you feel less anxious and guilty!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Coming from an area which, albeit small has been plagued with a drug epidemic for many many years, I've often seen people use almost anything when the heroin isn't here or the money isn't there to purchase them. Everything from relaxers to coke. Have you noticed or encountered this?

Also, to add, I'm glad this thread is making you feel less anxious and guilty!

Yeah I and everybody I knew would take and abuse a lot of prescription drugs as well, benzo's (Valium & sleeping tablets). Anything you could get your hands on to take the edge off.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Geminigal

Wow what a fantastic honest thread. I've no questions just couple observations...

1. Methadone is very profitable and I would assume that the other drug you mentioned isn't as profitable hence that's why our health service use the more profitable one!!! Shocking to think profit would come before safer and more successful recovery!!

2. You talk about guilt and low confidence etc and that these emotions are holding you back at times.. You have said you don't feel counselling would help you. I believe if you found the right counselling service/worker you could work through these feelings/emotions and they wouldn't have as much power over you eventually. Russell Brands book called Recovery is Amazing!!! Even if you don't like him give the book a go it's fab 😀

Lastly just well done... You sound like a lovely respectful sound fella and I truly hope it all works out exactly the way you want it to.

Geminigal wrote: »
    Wow what a fantastic honest thread. I've no questions just couple observations...

1. Methadone is very profitable and I would assume that the other drug you mentioned isn't as profitable hence that's why our health service use the more profitable one!!! Shocking to think profit would come before safer and more successful recovery!!

2. You talk about guilt and low confidence etc and that these emotions are holding you back at times.. You have said you don't feel counselling would help you. I believe if you found the right counselling service/worker you could work through these feelings/emotions and they wouldn't have as much power over you eventually. Russell Brands book called Recovery is Amazing!!! Even if you don't like him give the book a go it's fab ��

Lastly just well done... You sound like a lovely respectful sound fella and I truly hope it all works out exactly the way you want it to.

I think I will try look into something like that again, when I did before it was all based around the addiction services/addiction counselling etc and that was all that was available to me, maybe now there is something else I can try. It can't do any harm anyhow!

I guess this is as good a place as any to wrap this up, I think most questions seem to have been asked, if anybody else has any others to add I'll check back again this evening.

Thank you, and everybody else for all of their kind words. It means a lot.

I'm genuinely surprised everybody was so understanding and non-judgmental, to be fair I expected to take a bit of schtick!

It has helped me to see that most people are willing to judge a person by what they actually see in front of them and not by what has come before, hopefully that translates somewhat to IRL!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Thanks so very much. It was a true eye opener.

Congratulations on your achievements so far in your recovery and Best of luck to you in all aspects of your life going forward.

Fair play to you for getting clean and sharing your experiences.

I am not trying to be flippant or make light of the seriousness of your situation but just to maybe lighten the mood a little. You must have the odd funny tale or good story from the whole time. Care to share one?

I can't think of many stories, but there's lots of funny people, when I think of them the stories start to come back a bit! Here's one;

I met this Italian guy through staying in tourist hostels when I first started out, 08/09 it's always preferable to stay in those when possible rather than homeless shelters.

Anyway his name was Mario. (Even that sounds a bit funny)

Mario was a crime master, was always impeccably dressed. Would go into high end men's shops/tailors and get fitted with a nice new fancy ass suit every couple of days and then just walk out with it, to use it to further his crime spree.

Keeping his image fresh, he wouldn't get so many looks. Just a well dressed businessman/tourist. Would rob shops, pick pockets, lift bags etc or sometimes just talk to people, schmooze women to get money. Was a smooth mofo!

One time I was outside a (won't say which) city center shopping center keeping sketch (just having a smoke and doing nothing, waiting, didn't think anything real was going to happen) and he came running out and dumped a laptop a few phones and a bunch of jewelry boxes with chains and rings etc, (cheap stuff but worth something, clearly fresh out of some display case) into my bag and said;

"I have-a to go be arrest now, you get-a da money and you helpa me later"

(imagine the stereotypical "it's-a me Mario" Italian accent)

and then just sprinted off being chased by security down the street. I got what I could for the stuff later etc, but didn't see him for a few days!

It was a fun couple of months hanging out with him. He just disappeared then, could have got locked up, or probably moved on to some other city. Got the impression he was just drifting around Europe, would stay in a city until he knew that he'd overstayed his welcome and then f*ck off to pillage the next one.

He was a good guy though, would always make you smile and laugh. Although I guess times were good when you were around him because he kept the money flowing etc, but you know what I mean.

Was more funny characters than funny stories at some times!

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I'm going to close this one up now, thanks to all for the questions and to our guest for some really informative answers. Glad to see it helped you out a little too :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement