Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front door camera

Options
  • 03-05-2018 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Can someone recommend a solution to the following:

I would like a front door camera, to see who is at the door - I do not want to replace the existing door bell. Ideally something discrete, can see a live feed and ideally be able to rewind a few min to see the approach of the person in case they are standing in the porch door. Would also be nice to be discreet.
    Would like it to view easy to view from the phone or TV.

I know its long list, be does such a product exist?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sure, a few options exist for this.

- Ring floodlight cameras
    - Nest Outdoor Camera
    - Logitech Circle 2 Camera (wired)

I'm sure there are plenty of others. They all have different pros and cons.

Note all the above require some power being run to them. Given your requirements, I don't think I'd recommend Blink or Arlo which are purely wireless (battery) options.

I'd go check out the Home Automation forum where folks have a lot of these cameras:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1777

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

An Arlo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

I use dlink cameras. They have a pan and tilt function so I can look out the front door and check the dogs when I'm out. They work through your WiFi, take a micro SD, provide a reliable live feed and have several recording options. A 32GB card does about a month of footage. No hidden monthly charges.

I have the dlink 5222l. There's probably newer, higher resolution models available now.

Cost around 150e 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

tedpan wrote: »
    I use dlink cameras. They have a pan and tilt function so I can look out the front door and check the dogs when I'm out. They work through your WiFi, take a micro SD, provide a reliable live feed and have several recording options. A 32GB card does about a month of footage. No hidden monthly charges.

I have the dlink 5222l. There's probably newer, higher resolution models available now.

Cost around 150e 4 years ago.

Are these indoor only cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

NIMAN wrote:
    Are these indoor only cameras?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

NIMAN wrote: »
    An Arlo?

Arlo are good cameras, but I don't think they are suitable for the OP given his/her requirements. Arlo are battery powered and only start recording when the PIR on them detects movement. There can be a few seconds lag between motion detected and recording started. The OP mentions wanting to be able to rewind a few minutes to see someone approaching. That isn't really possible with battery powered cameras like Arlo. You need wired powered cameras with Continuous Video Recording (CVR) like Nest Outdoor to do that.

Strictly speaking Arlo Pro Cameras also support CVR, but only when powered by cable, not by battery. The issue with this is that Netgear recalled the outdoor, waterproof power cable due to some issues, so there is currently no official way to power outdoor Arlos in CVR mode. They say they are working on a solution, but I wouldn't recommend it to people looking for this feature until it is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

Is there any rules or regulations on these doorbells since they're pointing out into the public?

Advertisement