Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot download Win 8 recovery media

Options
  • 03-05-2018 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭

So a friend is having a problem successfully booting his Win 8.1 laptop.
    On start up it launches saying Windows is doing an automatic repair which fails leading to Windows recovery screen where one of the options is advanced troubleshooting but you need a Windows 8 recovery media to progress further.

So I'm trying to download Windows 8.1 recovery media to burn to either CD or USB and using Microsoft's site:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

This prompts you to download an exe called mediacreationtoo.exe

When I run it with options to select American English as language and Win8 and x64 as architecture I get the following failure:

Wzgta0q.png

Any suggestions or alternative sources? I don't know if the laptop came with original disks or not.

Last resort options:

Follow the steps here - https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-resolve-windows-8-boot-issues/
    Specifically (if I can get command line access)

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot

and

bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

The ideal scenario is to preserve whatever is already on the laptop in terms of media and documents. I would assume if I copy that off first to an external hard disk (again assuming I can access the command line) then it should be ok to risk the above.

Final option.
    I do have a Win7 original disk. Is it an option to replace the Win8 OS with Win7 to get the laptop back up and running again? I've heard this can be problematic with windows 8.

End result is that we want the laptop back working again asap. If whatever is on it has to be sacrificed then so be it (but would prefer to avoid if possible).

Comments

Advertisement