Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera angles on televised snooker

Options
  • 03-05-2018 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Does anybody else have an issue with the way the directors on TV snooker pick the camera shots in tournaments?
    It seems these guys are a bit clueless and they will focus on a close up of a pot while ignoring the path of the cue ball.
    I think that the best camera angle to watch snooker from is the "standard" angle, looking up to the baulk end.
    This angle lets you see the pot and also the positioning and action on the white.
    Too many times, the TV directors go for a "straight into the pocket" angle, and you know the important part of the shot is how the white will get back down towards the black spot.
    Invariably, they then jump cameras, half way through a shot, where we have missed the back/top/side spin and doesn't show the shot in it's full glory.
    This has only been an issue in the past 5/10 years, probably with the advent of more cameras and providing coverage for the ol dears who just want to see the ball goin into the hole!
    Please bring back coverage for people who like to see where the cue ball goes!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd mostly agree, but I do like the close up too so that you can see technique or how much side for example.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I don't know about anyone else but I turn on the snooker coverage to watch the snooker.
    Not to listen to Virgo shout 'Where's the white?' or Taylor asking Vicky Selby to wave for the camera.
    I don't need to see close-ups of the opponents facial reaction or players families after every shot.
    Or before the shot is even complete as was the case towards the end of last nights coverage.
    Seems to be a lot of human interest nonsense creeping into snooker coverage.
    I already watch it with the sound down because of the verbal diarrhea from Taylor and Virgo.
    Now even the picture's becoming unwatchable they've become so trigger-happy with the cameras.
    As Bellerstring says bring back snooker coverage for people who like snooker.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Hermy wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else but I turn on the snooker coverage to watch the snooker.
    Not to listen to Virgo shout 'Where's the white?' or Taylor asking Vicky Selby to wave for the camera.
    I don't need to see close-ups of the opponents facial reaction or players families after every shot.
    Or before the shot is even complete as was the case towards the end of last nights coverage.
    Seems to be a lot of human interest nonsense creeping into snooker coverage.
    I already watch it with the sound down because of the verbal diarrhea from Taylor and Virgo.
    Now even the picture's becoming unwatchable they've become so trigger-happy with the cameras.
    As Bellerstring says bring back snooker coverage for people who like snooker.
    Yes the BBC need to look at their formula it is getting a bit tired year after year. I know they are trying to widen the appeal of the sport as well, which is important also. But the two players yesterday barely missed potable shots. Higgins came out and didn't look like missing. Despite all the pressure on him 15-10 down. Williams lost 4 frames last night but hadn't done much wrong.

During the semis and start of the final there were scrappy frames and some straightforward balls missed. You shouldn't put this all down to pressure or playing in the Crucible. It was largely poor play and more is expected at this level. As the old Jose Mourinho press conference went pressure is worrying about putting food on the table or paying the Mortgage. Or 'the bird flu' lol.

There is probably more true life pressure on in the last round of qualifying outside the Crucible for the guys hoping to make one good £18,000 pay check this year, then there was on the one table set up inside the Crucible. BBC could look at that angle maybe.

Advertisement