Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

babby wont take bottle

• 03-05-2018 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks
    We have a 5 month old that is refusing a bottle, the problem is we are both away the weekend for work for one day and night and are worried if she won't take it for the baby sitter ( my sister)
    Mam was away for 3 days last month and she took it fine for me but all of a sudden seems to be refusing it ,
    Will she take it when she gets hungry enough ? is that to mean ,
    Obviously if it comes down to it ill cancel but any tips ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

You could try the following instead:
    Syringe
    Shot glass
    Sippy cup (Nuby and mam make ones suitable for 4 months and up)
    A different bottle or teat (latex are supposed to be good)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ruahead

How did this turn out ? My 7 month old is the same, I tried with a spoon the other day !loads came out but think it worked best so far, took ages though. I heard nuk latex teat worth a try but don't want to spend more and have it not work. We have loads of bottles and bought beakers/ cups etc and she won't take it. Syringe (calpol) may be worth a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

they go off the bottle at that age.
    lots of high liquid goods to get enough fluids.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ruahead

She's still not eating though, that's the issue. I try every day but 98% comes straight back out her mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My first was the same, he'd just refuse the bottle and there was no way to get him to use it. I got a NUK sippy cup then and it worked to get liquids into him (no formula though, he never took it and would rather starve).
    The second had feeding problems and I started with a syringe because she was quite underweight and once she got the hang of it I switched her to the bottle. The only bottles that worked though were the cheap Spanish supermarket bottles with latex teats.

I found that if a kid refuses the bottle, there is little that brings success to get them to take it in a short period of time, I've seen that many times with family and friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Latex teat here too. Only thing with all three of mine. I’d give a cup with a straw a shot too though, and if it works, buy an actual straw sippy cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Latex teat here too. Only thing with all three of mine. I’d give a cup with a straw a shot too though, and if it works, buy an actual straw sippy cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

We ended up getting the Mimijumi bottles (on Amazon) for our 3 month old who wouldn't take a bottle. She was being breastfed and in the first few weeks took the odd bottle fine when we'd give her a bottle of EBM for whatever reason. But then we had a gap of 4-5 weeks where we didn't even try giving a bottle and then when we tried again, no way, wasn't haing it.

We tried with Tommie Tippie bottles, got the Nuk latex.... no good. Heard about these then and despite the price we decided to try them. We actually got a 50% discount code from them to buy the bottles on Amazon (they were doing a promo on their FB page), but even at that, they are still very expensive..... anyway - they worked for us so were worth the money! We had her on them for about 10 days and then tried switching back to Tommie Tippie bottles (cause we had a good stock of these) and she was fine with them then again.....

Good luck!

Advertisement