Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverfest 2018

• 03-05-2018 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭

Discuss ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

For me its the best weekend in Limerick by a country mile. Its the only time of the year where the city centre has a buzz about it. The Riverfest village has its flaws but it makes great use of Arthurs Quay & makes a necessary focal point for the festival. The Great Limerick Run brings in loads of people & probably one of the biggest in the country. The festival is the only time where the river is made use of during the year, apart from the annual Thomond Swims and GetWest kayaking activities. For adults & kids its a very enjoyable weekend. Go into town on Saturday lunchtime and the place is buzzing! All the pubs, restaurants & hotels are busy which is fantastic for the local economy.

For 2018, the events look promising and with the good weather predicted so we should be in for a good weekend.

The BBQ cook-off was a little disappointing last year, it just seemed a lot smaller than previous years so hopefully that improves.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sponsored/riverfest-limerick-may-bank-holiday-12433161

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Best weekend for me in Limerick is the weekend of the Pig n Porter :)

Have never been to Riverfest, whether it was due to work or being away but I'm looking forward to going this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

damowill wrote:
    The BBQ cook-off was a little disappointing last year, it just seemed a lot smaller than previous years so hopefully that improves.

Do people really look forward to the bbq that much? Genuine question. I see limerick.ie pushing the bbq and 'fashion Friday' so much and I don't know one person who bothers going to either. They're both pretty stale at this stage imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I see that Grooveyard, who presided over the real shoddy Riverfests of the past few years, are running it again this year. I don't hold out much hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

There's a fashion show in Arthurs Quay tomorrow!!!!...in some way I can't see there is probably a link to the River in that...you can see the river from Arthurs Quay maybe that's it.

I don't understand why there aren't festivals held in Cleeves, I know there was plans for one but that seems to have disappeared, you have about 8 venues in Cleeves in what is a cracking setting...at the moment there are EVA exhibits there but it just seems so underused!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

You can be sure whatever criticisms are highlighted here that the leader will come out and say it was a fantastic weekend regardless!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Only good thing that at least they are using the river for swimming kayaking etc
    Celia Holman Lee and James Patrice Snapchat Star WTF any way finding out what is wasted on them

BBQ is a joke watch people cooking and you might get food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

You're not really selling me the fest!

Go in for a look but it’s nothing special.Good weather will help and more people walking around an atmosphere
    One thing can’t understand why they don’t close off traffic around the park by Penney’s etc will people all gather

• Advertisement

A couple of key flaws with Riverfest, which if they aren't addressed will ensure it continues to be lame in the extreme.

1. The name. It's vacuous and meaningless bull****. There's "Riverfests" all over the world. It says nothing about Limerick. Most towns and cities have rivers. With a name as unimaginative as this, you're basically not selling Limerick at all, either in Ireland or overseas, but you're also displaying mediocrity and lack of confidence, none of which are particularly appealing.

2. The locations. Don't sideline activities to small parks and side-streets. Be brave and use the main streets. Transform the city for the weekend. Aside from the Great Limerick Run you could be in Limerick and not even know Riverfest was going on. Thankfully, with the Great Limerick Run the main streets are used and it's an honest effort at a big event. Riverfest, who have nothing to do with the GLR, would be very little without it. If the organisers of Riverfest (City Council) were as brave and ambitious we could have a really fantastic city festival.

3. The fireworks. They're nice and everybody who attends goes away with a merry enough feeling that they saw something, and many of them wander into town and spend a few quid in the pubs. But I'd argue that there is a very poor return for the amount of money they cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Only thing I saw at Riverfest last year was the fireworks display and I thought they were terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

zulutango wrote: »
    1. The name. It's vacuous and meaningless bull****. There's "Riverfests" all over the world. It says nothing about Limerick. Most towns and cities have rivers. With a name as unimaginative as this, you're basically not selling Limerick at all, either in Ireland or overseas, but you're also displaying mediocrity and lack of confidence, none of which are particularly appealing.

Couldn't agree more on this. "Riverfest" sounds like something a few lads would put on in a field somewhere with a few slabs of Gally and maybe a few bands playing on the back of a truck.

Also there's a lack of a big draw, a major event or gig. A zipline, a fireworks display and a few food stalls. I think it says a lot that this weekend, the big event in the Limerick calendar, Ed Sheeran is playing three nights below in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Couldn't agree more on this. "Riverfest" sounds like something a few lads would put on in a field somewhere with a few slabs of Gally and maybe a few bands playing on the back of a truck.

Also there's a lack of a big draw, a major event or gig. A zipline, a fireworks display and a few food stalls. I think it says a lot that this weekend, the big event in the Limerick calendar, Ed Sheeran is playing three nights below in Cork.

Ed Sheeran playing in Cork is hardly the fault of the orangisers of Riverfest. In fact he should have been Limerick this weekend, which when combined with GLR would have brought an unprecedented amount of people to the city for the entire weekend. Unfortunately Ed Sheeran and his people pulled out of the Limerick gig days before the announcement in favour of playing in Galway instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

The fire works are planned for the middle of the Bell X1 gig, good planning!!!

Limerick91 wrote: »

:rolleyes:

I'm sure that will be factored into the concert and really add to the spectacle for those at the gig.

Ah stop haha.People will have kids there at 10 o clock waiting so if they change for after the gig it will be 11 at least

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

they did this last year for hermitage green and it worked very well. adds to the concert imo

bigpink wrote: »
    Ah stop haha.People will have kids there at 10 o clock waiting so if they change for after the gig it will be 11 at least

:rolleyes:

Always with the negativity. The gig will have been planned around the fireworks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

How the fcuk did Grooveyard get this again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

christ almighty the Limerick forum must be the most negative outpost on Boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

mitresize5 wrote: »
    christ almighty the Limerick forum must be the most negative outpost on Boards.ie

It's cause of all the vegans I think.

I’ll be seeing the fireworks, doing the zipline & Zorb Ball can’t wait

How dare people have a vision for a better festival. Be happy with your lot peasants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

How dare people have a vision for a better festival. Be happy with your lot peasants

Sure you probably organised Mardi gras in New Orleans and Glastonbury a few times, would you offer them a hand at all?

Sure you probably organised Mardi gras in New Orleans and Glastonbury a few times, would you offer them a hand at all?

Yeah I'll suggest we start off by drowning a few arseholes in the Shannon.

That's worthy of a Limerick Leader front page story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

mitresize5 wrote: »

No it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

sleepyman wrote: »
    You can be sure whatever criticisms are highlighted here that the leader will come out and say it was a fantastic weekend regardless!!

The Limerick misleader. A bit like pravda. Money talks unfortunately, especially in a place like Limerick where resources are limited. Any meeja outfit like the LL will do as their told to keep themselves in a job.

Advertisement