Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverfest 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Treepole wrote: »
    Ed Sheeran playing in Cork is hardly the fault of the orangisers of Riverfest. In fact he should have been Limerick this weekend, which when combined with GLR would have brought an unprecedented amount of people to the city for the entire weekend. Unfortunately Ed Sheeran and his people pulled out of the Limerick gig days before the announcement in favour of playing in Galway instead.

Wasn’t the reason he didn’t do Limerick because of the Munster matches. Thomond Park was booked up or at least at the time was on hold for potential Munster games for when the concerts would have been on.

They do need to look into having a big act play Limerick the same weekend as river fest though. Would tie in nicely.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

lufties wrote: »
    The Limerick misleader. A bit like pravda. Money talks unfortunately, especially in a place like Limerick where resources are limited. Any meeja outfit like the LL will do as their told to keep themselves in a job.

In fairness, even if the weekend events are underwhelming (and we've all read plenty of amazing ideas on here over the years, ones which really could and should be taken on board), it does get people out and about. The buzz around town is usually fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

In fairness, even if the weekend events are underwhelming (and we've all read plenty of amazing ideas on here over the years, ones which really could and should be taken on board), it does get people out and about. The buzz around town is usually fantastic.

I don't disagree. Its good for the spirit of Limerick. God knows its taken a right hammering over the years.

Not residing in Limerick myself, but according to a mate of mine, the night life has really picked up there. I lived there prior to the bust and the place seemed really vibrant. Perhaps its me that's changed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

testicles wrote: »
    It's worth €10 million to the local economy sure.

I'm sure a lot of that is from the run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Some scumbags have brought a Llama down to Arthur's Quay and people are queuing to get their photo with it

FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭4Ad

Some scumbags have brought a Llama down to Arthur's Quay and people are queuing to get their photo with it

FFS

Have you a photo for us ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

RTE just covered it on the Six One News....well I'll be damned!!!

Mickey noonan must've sent a request.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

Does anyone know when and what time the LE Eithne departs Limerick Docks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Zero traffic management for Riverfest it’s a joke

• Advertisement

FFS

Same scumbags abusing it last week in a video on social media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bigpink wrote: »
    Zero traffic management for Riverfest it’s a joke

Negative as always BP!

Traffic was going to be busy as a result of the riverfest and munster match taking place. I would agree that they should have stopped traffic going down by Bishops Quay.
    They should have also stopped traffic from going up past Penneys. Really dangerous situation there as everyone was trying to scrum through on the narrow footpaths and with two lanes of active traffic, an accident with a child running out in front of a car could have happened.
    Traffic should have also been stopped from going by Arthurs Quay by again blocking off the roads by the quay and from Liddy st. It would have allowed the organisers to expand out from the park as they had to stop people from entering the park at one point resulting in large queues outside and some people ended up walking away as they couldnt be bothered waiting to get in. It was extremely wedged in there.

Allowing traffic around Arthur’s quay Park on Limericks busiest day is a joke
    People with kids buggy’s etc

Think they should rename it knackerfest after what I saw in there today and tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

I was one of those that gave up waiting to get into the Riverfest 'park' today...it was jammers, and the queue was really long, snaked around metal barriers and all along the street down to the bus stop. It was moving very slowly so gave up.
    So decided to have a walk around town instead and spotted Bob Geldof up by Pery's Square about to go for a wander in the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Think they should rename it knackerfest after what I saw in there today and tonight.

What did you see??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mc Love wrote: »
    They should have also stopped traffic from going up past Penneys. Really dangerous situation there as everyone was trying to scrum through on the narrow footpaths and with two lanes of active traffic, an accident with a child running out in front of a car could have happened.

They should never have had the kids rides squeezed into the 'Garden' area outside Penneys. It made the whole thing not just unsafe but utterly unpleasant. All the food carts and people eating were squeezed up into one side because the seating area was shoved up in front of the carts to accommodate the rides. Trying to look after a small child in that crowd with traffic passing right next to it was awful. Thankfully my 5 year old was surprisingly willing to be talked into avoiding the crowd and waiting until Funderland in a few weeks so we just got out of there. Tbh, I don't think he was enjoying the crowd and was glad to be offered an alternative.

Hopefully it will provide a bit of counterweight to the videos of the prayer march thing up O'Connell St that are going viral tonight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Riverfest this year had a stink of craggy island off it.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Riverfest this year had a stink of craggy island off it.

Loads of priests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

lufties wrote: »
    Loads of priests?

Possibly. They may just have been dressed up as priests.
    https://www.facebook.com/john.carmodyi/videos/vb.100002947025758/1660203794087839/?type=2&theater

• Advertisement

FFS

Charging €5 each for a photo and the money would go to Mildford it’s all a scam

The amount of scumbags mostly knackered and kids skipping the queue for the zipline and most people did nothing because someone spoke up and people were fighting and some people were fighting over it

****ing waste of space thinking they can do what they want I waited over 2 hours and they just get straight in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Was driving up past thomond park through the traffic lights towards the bridge.
    2 cars full of female scobes stopped on the middle of the road blocking traffic,
    Male scobes on the footbpath I saw a baseball bat in someone’s hand and the females opening the boots of the cars getting A Hurley and something else out and running up the road after some other scobe with his top off.
    The warm weather and free event brings em out, lots of em around.

Oh and it’s sunday, imagine it will a lot worse today :-D

Saw two Gardai "herding" the scobes with the Llama up towards the Hunt Museum.

They were indeed charging for a photo and saying it was for Milford.

Cant believe the idiots that handed over money.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

I’d like to see The Potato Market utilised as part of the festival in conjunction with Arthur’s Quay Park. There’s a lovely walk between the two (when it’s open) and it would relieve the pressure on AQP and also remove the need for cramming amusements outside Penney’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Well the fireworks were excellent no music no live 95 just a great mix of fireworks the low ones over the river were class

Drove in for the fireworks last night and was well impressed this year. Great show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was in town yesterday. 11:30am so park quieter than what i expected but still busy.

Shark thing looked cool. Zip line was a little short for the queue, saw one parent argue with helter skelter guy as he figured it was a few goes for €3 not just for one go.

Less scummers but a bit early on a Sunday for them. Watched the racers come in, had dinner and went home.

Nice to enjoy the city centre once a year it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

From reading the comments on here from Saturday was prepared for carnage, but there was a great atmosphere in town yesterday when I was in. The town was buzzing and you couldn't have asked for better weather. Would agree that Arthur's Quay Park is a bit small to hold everything they are trying to there, stretching it out in the Potato Market as the poster above suggested could help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Shout out to Bell X1 for another great show. I think I've seen them in 6 different venues around Limerick now, but last night was the first time they included a fireworks display. :D

The Great Limerick Run was pure magic yesterday. I missed my HM target by just over two and a half minutes but can't be disappointed at all. The weather, the crowds, the atmosphere. It makes a very special occasion out of what should be a fairly boring route.

The only event I feel I missed out on was the swim on Saturday morning, but there should be more of those to look forward to over the summer.

Advertisement