Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old round pound coins

• 03-05-2018 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hello,
    Found a bunch of leftover old pound coins from when I was in London.
    Do any banks here still collect them or should I just throw them away?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Banks here stopped accepting UK coins a long time ago, probably when we split with sterling. You'll have to try a bank or PO the next time you're over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman_321

coylemj wrote: »
    Banks here stopped accepting UK coins a long time ago, probably when we split with sterling. You'll have to try a bank or PO the next time you're over there.

Oh wow... that sucks.

Alright, thanks man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yup, you can exchange them in UK banks for current UK legal tender, which you can then convert to Real Money. A trip to Newry, and you could kill two birds with one stone. Quick, before they throw up a hard border, and the UK reverts to groats and farthings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Old thread sorry, can I bring old coins and notes of sterling anywhere up north? I obviously don’t have a sterling PO or bank account

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭hungrypig

road_high wrote: »
    Old thread sorry, can I bring old coins and notes of sterling anywhere up north? I obviously don’t have a sterling PO or bank account

Apparently post offices in the North still exchange old coinage/notes for new

• Advertisement
Advertisement