Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The royal wedding who cares.(Maybe Meghan)(Lovers of Royal Wedding thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Edward and Sophie said that they requested that their children not be prince and princess also, so that they would have less scrutiny[/QUOTE

Yes, as I said above that's the main reason why they requested only the lesser titles of earl and countess at marriage, so that their children would be styled as the son and daughter of an earl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,397 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It seems that I was half wrong about whether Harry and Meghans children will be princes and princesses. It appears that it's a case by case basis from the sovereign. So, the answer is no but maybe. I'd say they will get the ok as even though Harry is down the league table a bit, he's still the son,brother, and uncle of future kings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,319 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Was I the only one who only realised yesterday that Windsor Castle was not in London ?

Its in of all places Windsor !!!

It's nowhere near London! Windsor is a good 100 miles away and it's only a smallish town......you could tell as the procession wound through the streets yesterday that it's not that big, about the same size as Kilkenny or somewhere.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Since the birth of Louis he's 6th in line so he'd no longer have had to ask her permission to marry, is it the same for divorce/remarriage? Or is one more baby required for that? Lol

The law changed in 2013 that only the six in line to the throne need permission, so he still needed permission. Another baby from Kate would make him 7th in line so he wouldn't need permission to marry or divorce from her Maj.

However the birth of Louis bumped Andrew off the list of those needing royal permission. The papers made some pointed articles about that because he gets on extremely well with his ex wife and they unofficially live together so it's been speculated that Andrew and her might remarry if allowed. Since their divorce neither have been linked with any other significant other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Strazdas wrote: »
    It's nowhere near London! Windsor is a good 100 miles away and it's only a smallish town......you could tell as the procession wound through the streets yesterday that it's not that big, about the same size as Kilkenny or somewhere.

Yes . I got that yesterday !! Did a bit of wandering on google maps . Its not 100 miles away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

20 miles from London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Bit off topic, but its not even an hours drive from the centre of London, its no way near 100miles. Just beyond the M25, and right under the Heathrow flight path depending on the approach.

But you are correct about it being a small town.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Bit off topic, but its not even an hours drive from the centre of London, its no way near 100miles. Just beyond the M25, and right under the Heathrow flight path depending on the approach.

Is it that near? I've always associated it with the royals and with the racecourse where they hold lots of evening meetings in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

We have family living in that area so I've been to Windsor maybe 5 times.
    I'd highly recommend it. It is a fabulous town with amazing architecture and the Thames River and parks. It is also home to Eton college where both princes went to school.
    LegoLand is about 15 minutes away with a shuttle bus from right outside Windsor Castle.
    If you like a town like Kilkenny with its looming castle and little slipways then you'll love Windsor.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Neyite wrote: »
    The law changed in 2013 that only the six in line to the throne need permission, so he still needed permission. Another baby from Kate would make him 7th in line so he wouldn't need permission to marry or divorce from her Maj.

However the birth of Louis bumped Andrew off the list of those needing royal permission. The papers made some pointed articles about that because he gets on extremely well with his ex wife and they unofficially live together so it's been speculated that Andrew and her might remarry if allowed. Since their divorce neither have been linked with any other significant other.

Hmmm... there are some rumours flying around about Andrew. If they are true, it is unlikely there will be another marriage in his future, if you know what I mean.

But shur, who knows... It all beats Mexican soaps anyway! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Is it that near? I've always associated it with the royals and with the racecourse where they hold lots of evening meetings in the summer.

Ascot? Yeah thats beside Windsor. Epsom? Within the M25.

;)

seenitall wrote: »
    Hmmm... there are some rumours flying around about Andrew. If they are true, it is unlikely there will be another marriage in his future, if you know what I mean.

But shur, who knows... It all beats Mexican soaps anyway! :D

There were also rumours of him being friendly with Jeffrey Epstein and getting in to various spots of bother of a sexual nature. You're right though, they are like a real life soap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Appledreams15

I love Fergie. I was glad she was invited.

There was the thing that she offered access to Prince Andrew for money.

But that was set up by a Tabloid reporter. Pretending he was a Sheikh willing to invest loads of money, and then asked her would he be able to meet Andrew.

Of course the Tabloid were going for the story to set her up and make her look bad. So I don't really care.

She always comes across as funny, lovely and genuine to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Carry wrote: »
    Look up Boris Becker's daughter Anna Ermakova.

She looks white though. I would not have known she was mixed race unless told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I was hoping some jihadists would use this chance to take out all the royal family and they Theresa May bot. No such luck sadly

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Bit off topic, but its not even an hours drive from the centre of London, its no way near 100miles. Just beyond the M25, and right under the Heathrow flight path depending on the approach..

https://twitter.com/NPASBenson/status/997891863033139201

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

zell12 wrote: »
    I've never seen a black-ginger bebQUOTE]
    Her is a set of mixed race twins from the uk. Their father is white and their mother is black/white, so roughly the same mix as Harry and Meghan.

zell12 wrote: »
    I've never seen a black-ginger beb
    Here is a set of mixed race twins from the uk. Their father is white and their mother is black/white, so roughly the same mix as Harry and Meghan.

Red hair is recessive. It requires both parents to carry the gene in order for the child to have a 25% chance of becoming a red head. So it depends on her being a carrier since he clearly is.
    It's funny where the red gene can pop up. One of Jessica Alba's daughters looks mexican and the other is a white red head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Red hair is recessive. It requires both parents to carry the gene in order for the child to have a 25% chance of becoming a red head. So it depends on her being a carrier since he clearly is.

So you think Diana had a Harry by someone else. She was a bit wild, like that time she attacked Charles with a bottle

ScrawnyShadyEmu-max-1mb.gif

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

he would have made a good Bond

Ascot? Yeah thats beside Windsor. Epsom? Within the M25.

;)

No, Windsor racecourse itself! It's much more low profile than Ascot or Epsom and they mainly hold evening meetings there in the summer, usually on midweek days.

I believe it's fairly close to the castle and is also known as 'Royal Windsor'.

davycc wrote: »
    I was hoping some jihadists would use this chance to take out all the royal family and they Theresa May bot. No such luck sadly

Yes, I have no doubt you were.

I expect plenty of sad, bitter little republicans were as well, safe behind your keyboards of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

If people could let one go once in a while - that would be great.

P.S - Honestly, find something better to do than cry about some event that you claim you don't care and that you wont watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

RTE giving false information so yesterday haha #firetheresearcher

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

So you think Diana had a Harry by someone else.
    Yes her husband. ;)

Philip had a tinge of red in the beard he briefly grew while on naval service, plus Anne and Andrew were reddish-brown, so Charles is likely a carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭tara73

sabat wrote: »
    Ms Markle is probably the maximum amount of blackness at the minimum distance from the succession tolerable for the royal family. If you knew nothing about her background you'd probably guess she is hispanic or perhaps from the Maghreb or Levant.
    That she is the female and the royal is male probably eases some of the qualms the public and the establishment might have about the marriage - if the first in line to the throne was a princess and she arrived back from the States with some Wesley Snipes or Flavor Flav looking dude I've no doubt the reaction would be completely different.

this.

I really like Meghan and Harry and they seem really happy together but I don't like this whole fuss about her being from an afro-american background and the royal family being so tolerant these days.

Firstly, as Sabat pointed out, she's very lightly skinned, you wouldn't think she has an afro-american parent. Additionally, she wears her hair always straight ( I ask myself, why..?). When I first saw her, I actually thought she has some hispanic background.

So for me, all this tolerance is completely hypocritical seeing the things Sabat pointed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

tara73 wrote: »
    this.

I really like Meghan and Harry and they seem really happy together but I don't like this whole fuss about her being from an afro-american background and the royal family being so tolerant these days.

Firstly, as Sabat pointed out, she's very lightly skinned, you wouldn't think she has an afro-american parent. Additionally, she wears her hair always straight ( I ask myself, why..?). When I first saw her, I actually thought she has some hispanic background.

So for me, all this tolerance is completely hypocritical seeing the things Sabat pointed out.

Yeah and it'd be a different thing if she was dark-skinned and had an afro or braided hair or really embraced her black heritage more than her white heritage but that's very much not the case. She's culturally and aesthetically white, to all intents and purposes.

Yeah and it'd be a different thing if she was dark-skinned and had an afro or braided hair or really embraced her black heritage more than her white heritage but that's very much not the case. She's culturally and aesthetically white, to all intents and purposes.

We don't know whether she embraces her black heritage from a cultural point of view less than her white. I would actually question this because she's doing a lot of charity work in Africa.

But from her looks, from my point of view, she's not standing by her african heritage. Ok, she's obviously lightly skinned, but why she's not wearing an afro, even from time to time? that makes herself a bit hypocritical too, I think. The gospel choire at the wedding, the black bishop with his sermon...and herself??

I really liked her mother for wearing her normal afro hair at the wedding. she actually looked like no hairdresser touched it, she looked like she came straight from the garden or housework.
    really liked it.

Didn't like the dress!

• Advertisement

tara73 wrote: »

We don't know whether she embraces her black heritage from a cultural point of view less than her white. I would actually question this because she's doing a lot of charity work in Africa.

But from her looks, from my point of view, she's not standing by her african heritage. Ok, she's obviously lightly skinned, but why she's not wearing an afro, even from time to time? that makes herself a bit hypocritical too, I think. The gospel choire at the wedding, the black bishop with his sermon...and herself??

I really liked her mother for wearing her normal afro hair at the wedding. she actually looked like no hairdresser touched it, she looked like she came straight from the garden or housework.
    really liked it.

Would you not try to be more white in a racist world?
    Even Beyonces father says she is as famous as she is because she whitened her looks. That the public would not have accepted her being really black.
    When I was in Indonesia and in India, they all use whitening creams.
    Beyonce and most famous black women chemically straighten their hair. It is the only way that you can properly straighten an afro. Meghan has done the same.

Racism is still everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Has she got an Afro?
    She didn't even as a kid as far as I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Addle wrote: »
    Has she got an Afro?

This was her as a kid

Meghan-Markle-child.png?x23912

Has she got an Afro?

she has, look at this cute video, also great in personality. she was already a feminist as a kid. love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfaGleA4qYo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Oh for god sake. Couple of white (women) demanding how a mixed race woman should look not to let her side down. What about those here, are you embracing your Irish roots and not using fake tan? Do you comment on every other Irish woman who uses fake tan, how she should be embracing her celtic heritage?

Has she got an Afro?

She had a big afro.

She definitely did away with alot of her African American features, but to be honest so would I, in the world it as it stands today.

I met the sweetest girl in Madrid, and she told me that she went around to her friend's housez and the friend's Dad said, "why the f"ck did you bring a (n word) into this house".

If it means being less attacked, I would change my features too.

Would you not try to be more white in a racist world?
    Even Beyonces father says she is as famous as she is because she whitened her looks. That the public would not have accepted her being really black.
    When I was in Indonesia and in India, they all use whitening creams.
    Beyonce and most famous black women chemically straighten their hair. It is the only way that you can properly straighten an afro. Meghan has done the same.

Racism is still everywhere.

good points.

but then, you don't fight racism and suppression if you trying to be like the suppressors and appeal them.

change will only happen if you fighting racism with who you are including standing by your characteristic looks.

and it woud be actually easy for famious folks like Beyonce and now Meghan to start with it.

She (and Harry) will probably do alot for black people anyway.

And, I hope, for women. She's a strong woman, and a feminist.

The Royal family is a big platform to speak from.

If we could get rid of racism and sexism, imagine what the world will be like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

From which you're not supposed to be political.
    How much can any of the royal family do?

From which you're not supposed to be political.
    How much can any of the royal family do?

Her and Harry have already done alot of engagement work and charity stuff.

He set up his own charity in Africa.

They are buzzing with passion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Aegir wrote: »
    Yes, I have no doubt you were.

I expect plenty of sad, bitter little republicans were as well, safe behind your keyboards of course.

We’re all behind our keyboards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Very nice ceremony, I thought. They seem like nice younglads, more luck to them. I particularly enjoyed the music, but then one is something of a lover of Handel. I thought the American Reverend fella gave it a bit too much holly, but he didn't do anyone any harm. :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    Very nice ceremony, I thought. They seem like nice younglads, more luck to them. I particularly enjoyed the music, but then one is something of a lover of Handel. I thought the American Reverend fella gave it a bit too much holly, but he didn't do anyone any harm. :D

Did you see the memes? :)

Did you see the memes? :)

Which memes, Chief?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

meeeeh wrote: »
    Oh for god sake. Couple of white (women) demanding how a mixed race woman should look not to let her side down. What about those here, are you embracing your Irish roots and not using fake tan? Do you comment on every other Irish woman who uses fake tan, how she should be embracing her celtic heritage?

Have never used fake tan in my life, not that it's in any way a relevant comparison. She's a Hollywood actress who got to where she is by embracing that Hollywood notion of beauty i.e skinny with white teeth and white features and straight hair. I don't begrudge her that, you do what you gotta do. But it doesn't mean she represents black women or African culture or a fundamental revolution in the royal family.

Have never used fake tan in my life, not that it's in any way a relevant comparison. She's a Hollywood actress who got to where she is by embracing that Hollywood notion of beauty i.e skinny with white teeth and straight hair. I don't begrudge her that, you do what you gotta do. But it doesn't mean she represents black women or African culture or a fundamental revolution in the royal family.

She doesn't look like a black woman, any more than Halle Berry. Her mother does.

We’re all behind our keyboards

Indeed, but you can't beat a Royal wedding to bate the Chucky Awr Law crowd out of their bushes. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Have never used fake tan in my life, not that it's in any way a relevant comparison. She's a Hollywood actress who got to where she is by embracing that Hollywood notion of beauty i.e skinny with white teeth and white features and straight hair. I don't begrudge her that, you do what you gotta do. But it doesn't mean she represents black women or African culture or a fundamental revolution in the royal family.
    She is mixed race not black so she is just as much representing black women as she is representing white women. I don't care about the revolution of royal family but I don't like how someone is criticized because they look as they do. Why do you feel she needs to embrace her blackness more, maybe you should be less preoccupied with the color of people's skin. Some here think she is not black enough to have a black pastor at the ceremony and not white enough to have straight hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I've always felt sorry for William and Harry because of how young they both were when their mother Diana died. It doesn't matter if you are a millionaire or a pauper when your mam dies it still hurts the same. I heard on the TV that a lip reader reported that when William was making sure Harry's nerves were kept at bay at the beginning of the wedding he told him "remember what mum would say" and Harry replied "I know". I thought that was lovely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement