Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The royal wedding who cares.(Maybe Meghan)(Lovers of Royal Wedding thread)

1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Appledreams15

jimgoose wrote: »
    Have never used fake tan in my life, not that it's in any way a relevant comparison. She's a Hollywood actress who got to where she is by embracing that Hollywood notion of beauty i.e skinny with white teeth and straight hair. I don't begrudge her that, you do what you gotta do. But it doesn't mean she represents black women or African culture or a fundamental revolution in the royal family.

She doesn't look like a black woman, any more than Halle Berry. Her mother does.

I think both Meghan and Halle look black.

Are we all agreed that racism is still going though?

I wonder, as white people, is there more that we should be doing.

I am always saying to men about the probelms that women face, and I always get the responses of "don't care," "couldn't care less".

Bit then I have never really done much about racism, as I haven't experienced it.

But racism and sexism are both very similiar.

Keep them down simply because we have been doing it for thousands of years, and it's hard to change a mindset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Pilot: "And for those of you who didn't manage to get an invite to the Royal Wedding, you're welcome". :pac:

https://news.sky.com/story/shock-as-aer-lingus-plane-flies-between-police-helicopter-and-windsor-crowds-11380793

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I am always saying to men about the probelms that women face, and I always get the responses of "don't care," "couldn't care less".

Bit then I have never really done much about racism, as I haven't experienced it.

But racism and sexism are both very similiar.

Keep them down simply because we have been doing it for thousands of years, and it's hard to change a mindset.

I think the best thing would be when everybody starts with themself.

Actually, if everybody would stop having any racist or sexist thoughts and actions, the problem would be solved. But if only it would be that easy..

It's a complex subject. Many things go subconciously with people. And many not.

And it's still about power. And money. Many people, especially those on top with influence in politics, the media, filmindustry etc. doesn't want to compete on an equal level with women and black people.

the white males are very anxious to keep their so called supremacy.

tara73 wrote: »
    I think the best thing would be when everybody starts with themself.

Actually, if everybody would stop having any racist or sexist thoughts and actions, the problem would be solved. But if only it would be that easy..

It's a complex subject. Many things go subconciously with people. And many not.

And it's still about power. And money. Many people, especially those on top with influence in politics, the media, filmindustry etc. doesn't want to compete on an equal level with women and black people.

the white males are very anxious to keep their so called supremacy.

In my eyes a human is a human but we are flawed beings prone to less than pleasant thoughts from time to time. It certainly is a complex subject but not everything needs to be afforded complexity, for example the royal wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

In my eyes a human is a human but we are flawed beings prone to less than pleasant thoughts from time to time. It certainly is a complex subject but not everything needs to be afforded complexity, for example the royal wedding.

'nice' summarization of the subject racism/sexism...

and darling, this is an open discussion board, where people tend to go from one point to another as you may noticed, if you like it or not.

and you can easily change the subject again to the wedding dress if you wish...

tara73 wrote: »
    'nice' summarization of the subject racism/sexism...

and darling, this is an open discussion board, where people tend to go from one point to another as you may noticed, if you like it or not.

and you can easily change the subject again to the wedding dress if you wish...

So c'mere which did you prefer, Meghan's dress or Kate's?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Sile Na Gig

Are we all agreed that racism is still going though?

I wonder, as white people, is there more that we should be doing.

Strange assumption from several posters (not just this post, I hear where you’re coming from, Apples) that all of boards is white? I didn’t get the memo...

I feel for her being mixed race in the public eye. It’s tricky enough as a commoner. People love to put people into boxes and struggle when they don’t fit into the categories they’re used to. It usually results in the erasure of one culture. I don’t blame her for passing as white to get a leg up in her career. She has no obligation to represent her race through her hairstyle or any other way. No one seems to expect this of white people. I thought that the nods to her heritage in the ceremony were fitting. It sounds like Prince Charles was responsible for some of them (the gospel choir) and it seems that he was very considerate of her mother who looked so terribly alone. I hope someone had the good sense to muzzle Prince Philip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I can't claim credit for this but when I saw it, I thought "Fuck, yes!". :D:D:D

Someone pointed out elsewhere that one point, the preacher was like this bit from Joey on Friends:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

And the Mrs is up the duff

HELLO! - Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announce pregnancy!
    Meghan is thought to be around 12 weeks pregnant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Great, can’t wait for the weeks upon weeks of wall-to-wall coverage and “royal baby watch”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Mutant z wrote: »
    i dont know why so many Irish people have such a fascination with the British royal family.

Maybe it's one up on the fascination many Irish people have with you know who and his human cock fighting

People get married all the time who cares?

You do. Otherwise you wouldn't be posting about it.

I didnt watch William and Kates wedding and i sure as hell wont be watching this one either because i have far better things to be doing.

Like telling us all about it. Dammit, I would hardly have known about it if you hadn't posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

What I find interesting about all this is how the press have changed towards Kate Middleton. I read the Daily Mail when I'm bored at work and they used to always refer to Kate as "Kate Middleton". Since Harry and Meghan got hitched, suddenly it's "The Duchess of Cambridge". In public opinion, she used to be work shy "waitey Katie" with a social climbing family. Now she's classy and a credit to the Royal Family and can't put a foot wrong.

After the wedding, the press have only referred to Meghan as "The Duchess of Sussex" but the public seem to hate her. They call her MeAgain Sparkles, the ultimate social climber who ditched all her old friends and even her dog (apparently one of her dogs was too sick to travel from Canada so she gave it to a friend but why let facts get in the way of reality?). They she her as the ruination of Harry.

The only break she seems to get is when her sister Samantha pops up with some embarrassing tirade against Meghan and people can see why she cut her off. I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if Samantha had gone on Jeremy Kyle on her visit to the UK :pac:

It'll be interesting to see how the trashy side of Meghan's family cash in on the new baby. It'll be highly embarrassing for the Royal Family but entertaining for the general public. Sorry if that sounds harsh but the Markles really are Jerry Springer material. Samantha is estranged from her mother, brother and her own children and hadn't talked to Meghan in years but still thinks she has some right to be involved in her life because she married a high profile guy. You couldn't make this up!

I thought she looked pregnant alright at the wedding. The British royal family are one of my stranger fascinations. I love reading about all the fuss and carryon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Once I saw she had just the two top buttons on her coat done up I thought it was fairly obvious she was pregnant. Nobody cares now that Beatrice has just got married. It’s Meghan fever all the way.

Just waiting for the announcement that its a multiple birth.

At her age to be having her first and pregnant so quickly after her marriage I wouldnt be surprised if they had assistance (and more power to them if they did).

....... wrote: »

At her age to be having her first and pregnant so quickly after her marriage I wouldnt be surprised if they had assistance (and more power to them if they did).

the more the better.

as long as one goes on to become president of the US ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

....... wrote: »

You reckon Phil lent a hand? Pretty impressive at his age?

You reckon Phil lent a hand? Pretty impressive at his age?

You know I actually think Phil is looking better than Lizzie these days, she has gone very hunched.

I think he's sprightly enough myself, and Id say Meghan is right up his street.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Fairly mean to announce it at the other ones wedding.

Talk about stealing the spotlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well it saved us from weeks of speculation in the gutter press so i thank them for it. It was beginning to be obvious anyway.

Ah yeah but Kates sister then got her own back by giving birth and robbing news space on it.

Advertisement