Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bramble infestation

Options
  • 04-05-2018 6:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I renovated an old house now its time to renovate the garden but it's over run with brambles, I've slashed what I could but I think I need to poison the rest, what can I use that will allow grass seed to grow a few weeks later?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I've been told to just dig it out, was pouring round up on it, was told it would have very little effect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Only job is to dig it out well below root level. Had a similar problem and tried everything suggested to me even diesel lol. Ended up hiring a mini digger and clearing the whole lot . Took it down to roughly a foot below the last of the roots and backfilled it with clean top soil. Haven’t had an issue since

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Selective sprays definitely work without all that digging.

Here I the farm we spray them with a more commercial product Grazon90 and it obliterates them.

I’d suggest cut everything back to ground level and remove what you can.

Allow drag regroth of everything for a few weeks.

Then onto the fresh growth with brushwood or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

_Brian wrote: »
    Here I the farm we spray them with a more commercial product Grazon90 and it obliterates them.
    I can see why that's commercial only, contains Clopyralid. Wikipedia quotes...

"It is particularly damaging to peas, tomatoes and sunflowers and can render potatoes, lettuce and spinach inedible...Clopyralid is known for its ability to persist in dead plants and compost, and has accumulated to phytotoxic levels in finished compost in a few highly publicized cases"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jones 19

_Brian wrote: »
    Selective sprays definitely work without all that digging.

I’d suggest cut everything back to ground level and remove what you can.

Allow drag regroth of everything for a few weeks.

Then onto the fresh growth with brushwood or similar.

Is Grazon 90 easy get? and what's drag regroth mean? Mini digger may be an option but I need to retain the soil.

Autocorrect, fresh regrowth is what I meant.

With that you have more green sappy flesh for chemical to absorb into and the plant is in a high growth phase which circulates the chemical quicker and more thoroughly for a better kill.

Grazon90 is commercial use only, you can buy it in an Agri Stores but your supposed to be trained to apply and there would be implications if your caught.

Digging would require removing huge volumes of soil to eliminate bramble roots, that’s for a few brambles. If you say the area is infested it’s not really an option. I don’t like spraying near my house but sometimes needs must.

Protect yourself with gloves and a mask, mix and spray carefully as selective weed killers kill EVERYTHING except grass, and if you overmix too much it will damage grass too. Keep kids and pets away for the recommended time, clean all equipment with plenty of fresh water.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Grazon90 seems like massive overkill for garden clearance in a domestic dwelling.

I got rid of a large amount of brambles last year without any spraying, and while there are a few shoots popping up here and there they are either getting mown (if in the lawn) or pulled out (if in the hedge line), it's in no way onerous.

Lumen wrote: »
    Grazon90 seems like massive overkill for garden clearance in a domestic dwelling.

I got rid of a large amount of brambles last year without any spraying, and while there are a few shoots popping up here and there they are either getting mown (if in the lawn) or pulled out (if in the hedge line), it's in no way onerous.

Grazon90 isn’t for gardens it’s commercial.
    Brushwood is the domestic equivalent and it’s very effective and safe if used correctly.

Digging is an option but not over large areas where roots have been allowed get established over a period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

An article that I was reading said that brambles do not make new growth from the roots. They grow from a 'node' just underground, and also by attaching/rooting tips of brambles to the ground. If you could get up the node you did not need to go after the roots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Surely a mini digger is

A. More fun

B. Far less toxic to your health and that of the garden.

I'd rent the digger

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Lumen wrote: »

Second that

Regular mowing and manual removal of the the odd particularly pesky shoot makes brambles disappear.

Different story if you want to plant something other than grass...as soon as brambles find something to hide behind (from the mower) and cling to, they'll grow like mad again.

Advertisement