Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling with child with chicken pox

Options
  • 04-05-2018 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

My 4 year old is recovering from chicken pox but still has spots visable on his space. We believe he is no longer contagious. It’s 8 days since spots appeared.

We’re flying tomorrow with flybe to London and then going to LEGO land.

We’re bringing him to GP to get letter confirming he is no longer contagious. We’ve printed a medical info sheet for travel from airline website, however looking at it this needs to be submitted before travel.

Has anyone any experience of flying with child with chicken pox? I’m going to try ring airline this morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Once they arent weeping your fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

They're STILL contagious until the last spot has fully crusted over - not from when spots first appeared I'm afraid
    As a parent whose child has a comprised immune system & has had chickenpox twice I'd be furious with a gp/parent who knowingly allowed a contagious hold to fly.
    Remember if you have other children they may not have come out in spots yet but still be contagious.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I hope gp doesn't sanction you to fly :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

They're STILL contagious until the last spot has fully crusted over - not from when spots first appeared I'm afraid
    As a parent whose child has a comprised immune system & has had chickenpox twice I'd be furious with a gp/parent who knowingly allowed a contagious hold to fly.
    Remember if you have other children they may not have come out in spots yet but still be contagious.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I hope gp doesn't sanction you to fly :-/

This.

You don’t know who else you will be in contact with on your trip, and how vulnerable or immunocompromised they may be. I think you should reschedule your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If he has no new blisters for 8 days and the last ones are crusted over he is not contagious . Do you have other children who now could be incubating it and might come out in spots ?
    Like others said it is not him I would worry about it is other children who are immuno compromised

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

You will get questioned by the boarding staff at the gate if they notice any rash etc. and they will certainly not let the child fly once they hear that it's chickenpox, I've seen this happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

All spots I think have scabbed over. Doctor gave letter which airline and LEGO land said they will accept as I checked with them today.

Advertisement