Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone Battery Replacement Program - Process?

Options
  • 04-05-2018 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I’m just wondering if anyone here has got sorted with this?

My battery is running at 84% and now draining after about 2 hours of usage so I need to get it replaced.

However, because of work purposes and me having a lack of a competent replacement, I can’t really afford to be without the phone for the days it takes to send to Apple and get it back.

So that leaves me with the dropping it in somewhere for repair option. I live a couple of hours away from my nearest repair centre, but wouldn’t mind taking the trip if I could get sorted on the day.

I read online that you need to attend the centre in person, they’ll run a diagnostic check, give you back the phone and contact you whenever they have batteries available, but that was a couple of months ago when they program was initially announced.

I’m just wondering if stock of batteries is still very low? Also, can I just call the various repair centers to see if I can call up to one some day during the week and get it fixed there and then or do arrangements have to be made through the Apple support site first?

Any suggestions that have the best balance between logistical efficiency given my location and quickest repair time would be very much appreciated.

Thank you guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Simplest thing is book a day off work (or go on a Saturday) to Belfast, pre-book a spot with Apple, drop your phone off, wander around the shops for an hour or two, go back and collect your phone, pay £29 and head home again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Theres a fair bit of information here...good and bad.https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057823764

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Where abouts in the country are you Paully D?

I got my iphone 6 battery replaced in Compu B swords and phone have been great since.

If your near a combu b store call in to them.
    I read online that you need to attend the centre in person, they’ll run a diagnostic check, give you back the phone and contact you whenever they have batteries available, but that was a couple of months ago when they program was initially announced.

Thats still the case...My sister is getting her 6s battery replaced and shes currently waiting on the reply from combu b when it comes in.

Also you can get onto Apple chat and speak to them. They may have a recommended replacement service place in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Thanks guys, I’m booked into Compu B next week to hopefully get sorted.

They told me if I make the appointment through Apple they’ll have guaranteed battery stock and be able to fix it for me the same day.

Regarding cost, what are they charging for the repair? I note the Apple website says pricing offered by Apple Authorized Service Providers may vary, so don’t want to get stung.

Thanks.

Paully D wrote: »

They told me if I make the appointment through Apple they’ll have guaranteed battery stock and be able to fix it for me the same day.

Regarding cost, what are they charging for the repair? I note the Apple website says pricing offered by Apple Authorized Service Providers may vary, so don’t want to get stung.

Thanks.

It cost me €29 in Compu B

• Advertisement

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    It cost me €29 in Compu B

Thanks mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Thanks.

Hi Paully,

I need to get my missus' phone in for a battery also. You recommend calling them in advance to book it - and to contact Apple also?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

I had booked my appointment through Apple support for Compub but was told when I arrived I was told that it would take at least 3 working days and that they couldn’t guarantee it would be back by then. This was in Swords so maybe other compub’s can guarantee same day service?

MissElle wrote: »
    I had booked my appointment through Apple support for Compub but was told when I arrived I was told that it would take at least 3 working days and that they couldn’t guarantee it would be back by then. This was in Swords so maybe other compub’s can guarantee same day service?

I very much doubt they can do it on the same day, As compu b have to always order the battery in as they never hold extra in the shops...They do the diagnostics test and verify if it needs the battery and then sends in the order for the battery,

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    I very much doubt they can do it on the same day, As compu b have to always order the battery in as they never hold extra in the shops...They do the diagnostics test and verify if it needs the battery and then sends in the order for the battery,

I was quoting the poster who they had apparently told it could be done on the same day, hence my reply saying it was at least 3 days in case anyone else thought same day was possible

• Advertisement

Hi guys, OP here.

I spoke to Compu B Dundrum on the phone on Monday, who told me that they had stock of batteries for those who arrange an appointment through Apple.

I arrived today an hour before my appointment expecting to be told to come back, but the lovely girl behind the counter went to check they had stock of batteries for my phone which they did, I left the phone with them and got an email two hours later to let me know that my battery had been replaced and to come collect it. I paid my €29 and away I went with my phone, so it’s definitely possible.

Fantastic service with them from start to finish I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

Left an iphone 6s in with compub swords. They phoned today to say they wont replace the battery as 3rd party battery connectors has been fitted to the phone. The phone had a screen and water damage before and new fingerprint sensor but working fine. Thought it be worth getting a new battery at the price. Is there anyone that would replace the battery at the 29 euro and not be so fussy about the 3rd party price? Based in Dublin

Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LC2017

Only places offer the €29 replacement would be Apple authorised repair centres, so you're looking at Compu B, iConnect, Mactivate and Harvey Norman in Rathfarnham.

I'd say it's part of their agreement though that they only repair devices without any 3rd party repairs. You could try the above but you're probably wasting your time.

Apple are subsidising the repair costs so you're unlikely to find any non authorised repair centres doing the repair for €29.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A non-authorised repair centre will replace the battery, but not with a genuine battery. You'll get a used or knock-off battery instead which they'll insist is new/genuine. Not sure what the going rate is, but probably around 30 quid. Anywhere charging more is probably ripping you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭flashf1

Does anyone know what qualifies for the replacement, i'm at 84%

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

flashf1 wrote: »

80% is officially end of life but they will change it at 84% for €29 without a problem.

Davy wrote: »
    flashf1 wrote: »

80% is officially end of life but they will change it at 84% for €29 without a problem.
    How do you check the percentage?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

How do you check the percentage?

(Battery health) in Settings > Battery on 11.3 or higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Booked mine in. Battery down to 87 but finding it cronic in the last few weeks plus has gone down a few percent over that period of time.

Battery on iphone 6 is maximum capacity 85%. Will they change at that? Its an iphone 6. Picked up secondhand for my daughter. Wondering if should try change battery before giving to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Booked mine in. Battery down to 87 but finding it cronic in the last few weeks plus has gone down a few percent over that period of time.
    And... they broke the screen :mad::mad: now no phone while they send it off to be fixed. Never have had a good experience with compub. Think I will just drive to Belfast and actually get looked after up there.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    And... they broke the screen :mad::mad: now no phone while they send it off to be fixed. Never have had a good experience with compub. Think I will just drive to Belfast and actually get looked after up there.

It's crap really. Can go into indie guy and have apple screen fitted for 80 euro in 40 minutes

Advertisement