Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭batistuta9

and got their name/logo in the credits because they supplied the catering vans for the sets in Dublin, with none other than himself below running the vans and creating the menu;
    Marty1.jpg[/IMG]

their name isn't even on the credits. some organisation supported by the government of ireland, screen NI, 3 production companies for the bbc in association with starz is whats listed

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Boggles wrote: »
    John Cleese was / is a genius.

Morgan had a few snippets of genius, the rest was sub par.

Funny how those snippets came outside RTE and surrounded by an Irish cast, guest stars and writers. Fr Ted proved beyond doubt the talent is here but our national broadcaster have repeatedly failed to make use of it.

Fr Ted would never in a million years be made by RTE.

O’Rourke has built up a higher audience than Kenny when he was at RTE.

Well that just proves how interchangeable they are. Even when a great broadcaster leaves, there is no noticeable drop off in numbers. I like Sean O'Rourke, but he isn't in the same league as Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Elmo wrote: »
    Oh good to know. Finding Joy got the go ahead, and others didn't! We are basically talking 2 to 3 a year getting produced out of how many exactly? This year it looks like only one from the Drama Departments slate.

Her replacement seemed to come in a few months before she left. If its the same person I am thinking of.

Finding Joy 2 next year

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TheBlock wrote: »
    Finding Joy 2 next year

Really so out of all the new slate of projects up for development the new head of RTÉ Drama choose over all the other **** scripts that could be produced was to bring back Finding Joy after 2 years off the air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well that just proves how interchangeable they are. Even when a great broadcaster leaves, there is no noticeable drop off in numbers. I like Sean O'Rourke, but he isn't in the same league as Kenny.

O'Rourke has increased his audience share. i.e more than Kenny ever had.

O'Rourke has increased his audience share. i.e more than Kenny ever had.

And again that just underlines if you put a half decent presenter in a prime time radio slot, the numbers will follow.

As I said O'Rourke is good but not in Kenny's league or has his range ie radio and tv.

You've proved my point. You don't have to pay a fortune to get good numbers. In other words, RTE presenters are paid way too much.

Cuts have to be made somewhere, as increasing the licence fee will always be a non runner. RTE need to gradually phase out the older presenters on massive wages and phase in talented young presenters on much much lower salaries.

Funny how those snippets came outside RTE and surrounded by an Irish cast, guest stars and writers. Fr Ted proved beyond doubt the talent is here but our national broadcaster have repeatedly failed to make use of it.

I'm talking about Scrap Saturday. Produced by RTE. AFAIK it's where Mrs. Doyle got her start.

Fr. Jack also got his start in RTE, spent most of his television career working for them.

Fr Ted would never in a million years be made by RTE.

How do you know?

They had all ready made a sitcom about priests and a house keeper over a decade beforehand.

They were never offered Ted, to say they would never have commissioned it is not factual.

And again that just underlines if you put a half decent presenter in a prime time radio slot, the numbers will follow.

As I said O'Rourke is good but not in Kenny's league or has his range ie radio and tv.

Or RTE were right to let him go and they proved this by finding a better presenter borne out by the increase in audience share.

Not everything is a negative lad.

I'm talking about Scrap Saturday. Produced by RTE. AFAIK it's where Mrs. Doyle got her start.

Fr. Jack also got his start in RTE, spent most of his television career working for them.

How do you know?

They had all ready made a sitcom about priests and a house keeper over a decade beforehand.

They were never offered Ted, to say they would never have commissioned it is not factual.

Mrs Doyle (Pauline McGlynn) actually starred in a Jerry stembridge comedy about unemployment and look for a job, stembridge worked with Fr Ted (Dermot Morgan) on scrap Saturday and He had a few specials produced for RTÉ way before father ted.

Looking forward to season 2 of Finding Joy.

• Advertisement

Mrs Doyle (Pauline McGlynn) actually starred in a Jerry stembridge comedy about unemployment and look for a job, stembridge worked with Fr Ted (Dermot Morgan) on scrap Saturday and He had a few specials produced for RTÉ way before father ted.

I know. Scrap Saturday IMO was where he did his best work.
    Looking forward to season 2 of Finding Joy.

I've no idea what that is, is it about a lost fish?

I know. Scrap Saturday IMO was where he did his best work.

No your think of Dory.

How do you know?

Did I say they were offered it? Nice changing of the goal posts.

What I basically said is they never had the ability to come up with something as good as Fr Ted. They still haven't.

It takes the Brits to come up with essentially the greatest Irish comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

How do you know?

and shockingly bad it was too, as per most RTE attempts at sitcoms.

Or RTE were right to let him go and they proved this by finding a better presenter borne out by the increase in audience share.

Not everything is a negative lad.

Or a conservative listenership loyal to RTE more like.

Luckily, O'Rourke's salary is far less than what Kenny was earning at RTE.

But you've proved that if high profile RTE presenters p*ss off to other stations, cheaper alternatives can be found.

You'd think the head of RTE would use this vital information to her benefit. Instead she recruits more mediocre presenters, continues to pay them over the odds, and ends up having to potentially close down stations to pay for these higher wages.

Cut the salaries first, then look at what services should be cut. Not vice versa.

RTE should not be about personalities at the end of the day, but services.

Nope, its only RTEs greatest comedy ever or so we are led to believe. You know the sort, the ones with no laughs, but still considered "comedy".

and shockingly bad it was too, as per most RTE attempts at sitcoms.

Paths to Freedom wasn't bad, but without writters and rewrites you bound to only get that once every 20 years.

Did I mention that the new head of Drama was once involved with Acorn TV so he now believes that his predecessors shows that were commissioned with Acorn are now what is need to help Irish TV Drama, not that there might be a bit of conflict in that relationship.

One of his commissions is a return to Finding Joy, that Comedy Drama series that was slated by critics and was watched by no one.

And that just after a year and one month of his tenure can you imagine what is next.

No your think of Dory.

The Y thing was a bit funny. Looks horrendous though.
    One of his commissions is a return to Finding Joy, that Comedy Drama series that was slated by critics and was watched by no one.

Having debuted as the highest rating comedy of the year on RTE last year, rating even higher than The Young Offenders, it's no surprise the quirky comedy is primed for a second run.

The first episode launched with an impressive average audience of 378,000 and 30 per cent share which increased to a consolidated figure of 428,000 at the end of the first week

Sounds like a "winner" TBF.

That said they have sold the rights internationally also

It sank after that. RTÉ never release any more figures from Finding Joy, from what I remember it didn't even make their top 20 shows after week 2.

Also it will have been 2 years, a returning series should return the following year.

and subsequently drops 100,000 viewers for its second episode. doesn't look like such a winner to me.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/amy-hubermans-finding-joy-drops-100000-viewers-for-second-episode-37434008.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I'm 26 and I have never used any service from RTE sense I was a child watching Dustin the turkey and Socky the sock monster after school.

I don't have a TV or a device capable of recieving any sort of TV singal. I have my gaming PC and a HTPC both connected to a monitor and projector. I have had several TV license inspectors visit me sense I moved into my flat 4 years ago. Twice I was home and even invited them in to check for themselves. Still getting letters and inspector call outs even though I've sent the declaration to my local office about 10 times at this point.

More money being wasted on these collectors..
    1 lady I got was extremely rude and tried convincing me I still needed one..

Paths to Freedom wasn't bad, but without writters and rewrites you bound to only get that once every 20 years.

Did I mention that the new head of Drama was once involved with Acorn TV so he now believes that his predecessors shows that were commissioned with Acorn are now what is need to help Irish TV Drama, not that there might be a bit of conflict in that relationship.

And that just after a year and one month of his tenure can you imagine what is next.

I dont think "wasn't bad" is the level we should be aiming at.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-tubridy-facebook-4862358-Oct2019/

Rte need more money to stop 'fake' ads about tubs being crap.

I dont think "wasn't bad" is the level we should be aiming at.

I'll rephrase "it was excellent".

and even getting mediocre TV isn't bad. You have to get a mix, RTÉ's problem is they invest in something in the hope that it will be the next big thing, rather than a number of shows that will help them go from mediocrity to excellent over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Caspian Petite Corner

Nope, its only RTEs greatest comedy ever or so we are led to believe. You know the sort, the ones with no laughs, but still considered "comedy".

Why do they give her show after show but they always end up tanking....always the underdog we’re ‘rooting’ for role with that same expression on her face but has a worse acting ability than a bit part character on fair city ...even her husband doesn’t work fir rte so why are they obsessed with finding shows for Amy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Why do they give her show after show but they always end up tanking....always the underdog we’re ‘rooting’ for role with that same expression on her face but has a worse acting ability than a bit part character on fair city ...even her husband doesn’t work fir rte so why are they obsessed with finding shows for Amy

They pick a z lister from the UK and decide she's the one and they push and push, like Jennifer Zamparelli.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭downtheroad

killanena wrote: »
    More money being wasted on these collectors..
    1 lady I got was extremely rude and tried convincing me I still needed one..

I found a tv licence inspector wandering aimlessly around our office building the other day. I asked her what she was looking for and she proceeded to give me the Spanish inquisition, asking for my name, the name of the company I worked for, is there a tv in the building, etc. I told her to head back to reception and they could put her in contact with the office manager, and again she kept asking (rudely) for my name and the name of my company.

Refused to answer her questions and told her I was under no obligation to give her that information. She just wouldn't let it go. I hadto walk off to end the line of questioning.

I don't envy her job but she was a very rude woman and could have gone about her business in a nicer manner and may have actually got a response then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I found a tv licence inspector wandering aimlessly around our office building the other day. I asked her what she was looking for and she proceeded to give me the Spanish inquisition, asking for my name, the name of the company I worked for, is there a tv in the building, etc. I told her to head back to reception and they could put her in contact with the office manager, and again she kept asking (rudely) for my name and the name of my company.

Refused to answer her questions and told her I was under no obligation to give her that information. She just wouldn't let it go. I hadto walk off to end the line of questioning.

I don't envy her job but she was a very rude woman and could have gone about her business in a nicer manner and may have actually got a response then.

Sounds like they might have outsourced. I know Sky use to contract people to find pubs showing sports, who only paid for the home subscription. I think they made more the more they caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

retalivity wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-tubridy-facebook-4862358-Oct2019/

Rte need more money to stop 'fake' ads about tubs being crap.

I kept getting those-it was either 'presenter reconsiders his career' or 'presenter discovers astonishing new technology from home' or some bullcrud.

They were spammed by at least two or three companies-I just blocked and reported.

I think there was this weird 'they're dating someone famous/ rich-give em a gig' that operated for a long, long time, in either TV3 or RTE. RTE kept it going, VM1 kind of know its time to cut the fat.

Glenda Gilson got a lot of prime gigs because of who she was dating (Brian O'Driscoll, or Johnny Ronan) and got a lot of print coverage by trash rags, and decent news papers that became trash rags (and never recovered).
    Gilson (admittedly) worked her way up-she started out with a music channel (two lads launched it-and while they gave it a go, they weren't bothered if it tanked. Essentially they made money on launch day).

From there, RTE were paying attention, but TV3 picked her up. (There were a lot of models/ young presenters who appeared and disappeared round that time. For every 5 who'd appear, RTE or TV3 would only keep one-one such example, Sinead Kennedy. She seemed to hang around when Liam what's his name disappeared).

Amy operates in much the same way-seeing someone famous. Always fills the print space. Essentially inoffensive.
    Probably easy to work with... so 'we have money to toss around-give her a show!!!'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

and subsequently drops 100,000 viewers for its second episode. doesn't look like such a winner to me.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/amy-hubermans-finding-joy-drops-100000-viewers-for-second-episode-37434008.html

What that says to me, and feel free to disagree, is that there is a massive audience out there looking for something like Finding Joy. I'm not sure what they're looking for, what they saw that appealed to them in the promos and ads. Maybe that it was a female led comedy, or just a comedy that looked kinda funny, or maybe just more Amy Huberman. But they're there and they want this, whatever it is and whatever they thought was being offered. And they took one look at it, said "nope," and went about their evening.

Advertisement