Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,473 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Loblox wrote: »
    What that says to me, and feel free to disagree, is that there is a massive audience out there looking for something like Finding Joy. I'm not sure what they're looking for, what they saw that appealed to them in the promos and ads. Maybe that it was a female led comedy, or just a comedy that looked kinda funny, or maybe just more Amy Huberman. But they're there and they want this, whatever it is and whatever they thought was being offered. And they took one look at it, said "nope," and went about their evening.

I'd more interested where they get the additional 200k that recorded the show or is that one of the makey uppey figures where they interviewed a 100 people and 2 out of 10 people said they recorded it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

fritzelly wrote: »
    I'd more interested where they get the additional 200k that recorded the show or is that one of the makey uppey figures where they interviewed a 100 people and 2 out of 10 people said they recorded it

The same makey uppey figures shows the show tanked, either you except both or neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Elmo wrote: »
    The same makey uppey figures shows the show tanked, either you except both or neither.

the 100K drop was based on those who watched it live.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Loblox wrote: »
    What that says to me, and feel free to disagree, is that there is a massive audience out there looking for something like Finding Joy. I'm not sure what they're looking for, what they saw that appealed to them in the promos and ads. Maybe that it was a female led comedy, or just a comedy that looked kinda funny, or maybe just more Amy Huberman. But they're there and they want this, whatever it is and whatever they thought was being offered. And they took one look at it, said "nope," and went about their evening.

I'd be one of these people. I used to give every new RTE show or comedy a chance and watch the first episode and decide if it was for me or not.

But after countless disappointments you just give up on giving new shows a chance. From what I can see the "comedies" are all very similar - female working in high paced work environment, difficult male boss, she spends evening on the couch drinking or going out getting p*ssed usually at Coppers, rinse, wash, repeat. It's Bridget Jones over and over. I liked the Bridget Jones movies, except maybe the last one, but what RTE offer is just a poor man/woman's clone of Bridget Jones. Surely someone somewhere can write something better and without the usual actors and actresses.

From what I can see the "comedies" are all very similar - female working in high paced work environment, difficult male boss, she spends evening on the couch drinking or going out getting p*ssed usually at Coppers, rinse, wash, repeat. It's Bridget Jones over and over. I liked the Bridget Jones movies, except maybe the last one, but what RTE offer is just a poor man/woman's clone of Bridget Jones. Surely someone somewhere can write something better and without the usual actors and actresses.

Other than finding joy what other comedy from RTÉ did this? I am not sure if I’d count Can’t cope, won’t cope. So that’s 1 - 2 maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Other than finding joy what other comedy from RTÉ did this? I am not sure if I’d count Can’t cope, won’t cope. So that’s 1 - 2 maybe.

So two comedies that were similar.
    Then there was Striking Out, which people said was similar to the Good Wife.
    I'm sure if you look enough at other recent Irish comedies and drama, you'd see similarities to other programs.

So two comedies that were similar.
    Then there was Striking Out, which people said was similar to the Good Wife.
    I'm sure if you look enough at other recent Irish comedies and drama, you'd see similarities to other programs.

Maybe 2, can’t cope won’t cope is maybe similar but is actually about 2 younger women starting out.

The problem is there are so few to go through. But I agree RTÉ and the press tend to talk about Ireland’s answer to ... [insert popular tv series/film].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I know many people who would love a good comedy. So if it's looking like it's happening they'll tune in. I personally love when RTE has a new comedy sketch show because the train wreck can be amusing in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I would imagine Amy Hubes should have another f*cking awful comedy out any day now on RTE?

I would imagine Amy Hubes should have another f*cking awful comedy out any day now on RTE?

Don’t worry Thelonious Monk Finding Joy 2 is coming back, in 2020, Hubes doesn’t have to get a new vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Don’t worry Thelonious Monk Finding Joy 2 is coming back, in 2020, Hubes doesn’t have to get a new vehicle.

They'll probably just dump it on the RTE player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

What to do on a bank holiday weekend?? Shur stick on a Harry Potter there for the umpteenth time it'll kill 3 hours on a Sunday

What to do on a bank holiday weekend?? Shur stick on a Harry Potter there for the umpteenth time it'll kill 3 hours on a Sunday

Also strange as they didn’t finish the series the last time round so each of these potter movies aired just a few weeks ago ...in fairness this is unusual for RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users Posts: 33,510 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well, a new old face.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Sorted till retirement age.

I'd say they looked far and wide...in the canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I'd say they looked far and wide...in the canteen.

If you hang around the canteen long enough, something always turns up!

How long until Blathnaid starts a fight with Anne Cassin, and RTE have another claim of bullying on their hands?

We all know why she hasn't had a steady gig for ten years or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Can't believe Mary Kennedy is 65
    She looks really well for a 65-year-old

But back to the point of the thread, I was talking to a lad last week who has spent a lot of time in RTE over the years. Said about their financial woes, it's hardly surprising when there are 12 fellas called Tom on every set whose job it is to move one cable! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Tea Shock wrote: »
    Can't believe Mary Kennedy is 65
    She looks really well for a 65-year-old

But back to the point of the thread, I was talking to a lad last week who has spent a lot of time in RTE over the years. Said about their financial woes, it's hardly surprising when there are 12 fellas called Tom on every set whose job it is to move one cable! :D

My late grand uncle worked in Ford in Dagenham most of his life. He reckoned it took 4 people to change a lightbulb there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I dont think "wasn't bad" is the level we should be aiming at.

Paths to Freedom was excellent.

Easily the best comedy I've seen from RTE in my 45 years on this earth.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Paths to Freedom was excellent.

Easily the best comedy I've seen from RTE in my 45 years on this earth.

Yet that was made almost 20 years ago. There are people who weren't born when that show originally aired.

When the creators (McElhatton and co) made a follow up series, Fergus's Wedding, it didn't do so well.
    They weren't given a second chance after that. I know McElhatton appeared in a few other comedy shows after that, where he did get to write. But that was 8 years after Fergus' wedding.

Compare that to Huberman, for example. How many shows has she had, back to back, that she's completely unqualified for?
    She's never been out of work with RTE.

Yet that was made almost 20 years ago. There are people who weren't born when that show originally aired.

When the creators (McElhatton and co) made a follow up series, Fergus's Wedding, it didn't do so well.
    They weren't given a second chance after that. I know McElhatton appeared in a few other comedy shows after that, where he did get to write. But that was 8 years after Fergus' wedding.

Compare that to Huberman, for example. How many shows has she had, back to back, that she's completely unqualified for?
    She's never been out of work with RTE.

I think most of Paths To Freedom saw it as a blip, as did Bachelor’s Walk cast and crew. All have continued to work in IrishTV&film. At least Between 2000 and up until 2008 RTÉ were commissioning a mix of good and bad comedy and drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

they couldnt buy 2/3 apartments in the land that they sold no?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Idbatterim wrote: »
    they couldnt buy 2/3 apartments in the land that they sold no?

Apartment complexes usually don't have free bars & room service!!

I think most of Paths To Freedom saw it as a blip, as did Bachelor’s Walk cast and crew. All have continued to work in IrishTV&film. At least Between 2000 and up until 2008 RTÉ were commissioning a mix of good and bad comedy and drama.

Simon Delaney's given up on acting, I believe. It's why he's presenting IReland AM.

Many of the actors in BW quit acting not too long after. Delaney destroyed his career with crap such as 'The Last Furlong'... (Jesus, that s**t was insulting to the Portugese, the Irish... f**k it, humanity itsself. And Delaney co-created and co-wrote it).

I think when it comes to drama, RTE have more luck. But with comedy-nope. Comedy takes more work-hard graft, and rewrites than drama. In order to get a joke to work, you might have to rewrite a joke 20 to 30 times. (A la the classic Simpson's seasons'.) You have to work out where you can afford a 'weak' joke vs where you can afford to put a hard hitter.
    And if you mess up the joke-it will come across as mean, or tragic.

When RTE 'attempt' comedy... it's clearly delivered prematurely.

You know nothing. It's ignorant you are...

image.jpg

Quality ;)

• Advertisement

Simon Delaney's given up on acting, I believe. It's why he's presenting IReland AM.

Many of the actors in BW quit acting not too long after. Delaney destroyed his career with crap such as 'The Last Furlong'... (Jesus, that s**t was insulting to the Portugese, the Irish... f**k it, humanity itsself. And Delaney co-created and co-wrote it).

I think when it comes to drama, RTE have more luck. But with comedy-nope. Comedy takes more work-hard graft, and rewrites than drama. In order to get a joke to work, you might have to rewrite a joke 20 to 30 times. (A la the classic Simpson's seasons'.) You have to work out where you can afford a 'weak' joke vs where you can afford to put a hard hitter.
    And if you mess up the joke-it will come across as mean, or tragic.

Took on the role the da in the snapper and usually on stage, also zonad and a bit part on The Good Wife.

Witcherly has had a number of roles since, the other guy was in RAW.

I think the girl was in Sing Street as a mother, while the director of Once & Sing Street was a producer and director of BW.

Yes writers are important and so is development which RTÉ don’t invest time in.

Advertisement