Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Paths to Freedom was excellent.

Easily the best comedy I've seen from RTE in my 45 years on this earth.

I'd never seen it, but the hype train convinced me to rent the movie from xtravision. If it was of a similar standard to the TV series, and that was the best rte comedy, then they may as well give up on comedy altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

McGaggs wrote: »
    Is never seen it, but the hype train convinced me to rent the movie from xtravision. If it was of a similar standard to the TV series, and that was the best rte comedy, then they may as well give up on comedy altogether.

The Sequel movie isn't as good as the series (Rats ???). Though there are some funny parts to it. You may not have liked it but that's really your own criticism, there's lots of Hyped TV that doesn't live up to people's expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Elmo wrote: »
    The Sequel movie isn't as good as the series (Rats ???). Though there are some funny parts to it. You may not have liked it but that's really your own criticism, there's lots of Hyped TV that doesn't live up to people's expectations.

The film is really dated now-you've got Louis Walsh and Gerry Ryan 'spoofing themselves'. But Ryan being dead doesn't make it funny.
    And Louis's a parody of himself, tbh, so it doesn't make it funny.

Then there's this 'Samantha Mumba' cameo where she's portrayed as a major star making a cameo...

...she can barely get a gig doing panto in Limerick nowadays. Even when the movie came out, her star was rapidly waning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

DEE you are a useless DG, if you had any balls you would fire Joe and Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Simon Delaney's given up on acting, I believe. It's why he's presenting IReland AM.

Bunch of kids and a mortgage focused his mind or so he said in a interview I watched.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Bunch of kids and a mortgage focused his mind or so he said in a interview I watched.

Bet he's regretting losing all that money on the Irish Who Wants to be a Millionaire. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Looks like they finally listened:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/radical-change-is-unavoidable-rte-chair-says-change-to-tv-licence-fee-needed-962381.html

Main points:
    200 jobs are to be lost
    Some of their star presenters will have to take pay cuts
    Limerick studio is to close
    RTÉ Guide will be put up for sale
    Digital radio studios will shut down

It's a start, but more change is needed.

Looks like they finally listened:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/radical-change-is-unavoidable-rte-chair-says-change-to-tv-licence-fee-needed-962381.html

Main points:
    200 jobs are to be lost
    Some of their star presenters will have to take pay cuts
    Limerick studio is to close
    RTÉ Guide will be put up for sale
    Digital radio studios will shut down

It's a start, but more change is needed.

There is absolutely no change here. They are doing very little really just moving things around. Most of these thing won't happen until 2021, and at that towards the end of 2021.

No time line no costings.

Most of the cuts announce will give them about 6m in saving, and the NSO going to the NCH if it happen a further 6m.

Meantime they are happy to spend 12m on 2FM (5M is from the licence)
    Corp HQ 6m all coming from the licence fee
    and finally imported content costing 25m

Not a word of cuts to any of those extravagances.

It will be the same RTÉ as before, nothing will have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Elmo wrote: »
    There is absolutely no change here. They are doing very little really just moving things around. Most of these thing won't happen until 2021, and at that towards the end of 2021.

No time line no costings.

Most of the cuts announce will give them about 6m in saving, and the NSO going to the NCH if it happen a further 6m.

Meantime they are happy to spend 12m on 2FM (5M is from the licence)
    Corp HQ 6m all coming from the licence fee
    and finally imported content costing 25m

Not a word of cuts to any of those extravagances.

It will be the same RTÉ as before, nothing will have changed.
    Well said.

They keep making one off cost savings but refuse to actually live within their means in a sustainable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Sell the entire prime Montrose site & move to an industrial unit in Darndale .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,423 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Sell the entire prime Montrose site & move to an industrial unit in Darndale .

And have it burned down... nah dude.

Have a bit of sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

And have it burned down... nah dude.

Have a bit of sense.

TV3 is in an industrial estate.

yeah but in a slight nicer area. Also I think Virgin Media will slowly move it to Clontarf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Listening to a union rep for workers at RTE saying he won't allow his members be targeted, what do they plan on doing? Going on strike does he think this will upset the public and garner support..ha ha ha ha .

Were there cars lined up and burned there at Halloween?

Were the Fire services unable to gain access to put out dangerous bonfires.

Hmmmm ..... were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Were there cars lined up and burned there at Halloween?

Were the Fire services unable to gain access to put out dangerous bonfires.

Hmmmm ..... were there?

Stuff for them, far too long insulated from the real world in D4. If Miriam, tubs etc all worked in Darndale instead of Donnybrook, maybe they wouldn't have been so quick to champion scrotes like Margaret Cash et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Isn't there a new studio in rathnew they could do something like that and move to a more remote location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Whatever sympathy people may have had for RTE is cancelled out by RTE's blatant cronyism and their attitude towards the salaries of their 'stars'. When RTE keep pushing at us stuff we don't want presented by overpaid individuals, people will not be supportive.

It is sad that traditional media is on the wane but also true that a lot of them have only themselves to blame. From Pat Kenny's pontifications to Ryan Tubridy's smutty silliness, I think RTE have a lot to learn and they need serious reform. When RTE defends the salaries of Tubridy and others and claim they 'work hard' for what they get, they are delusional. RTE's shows have a whole research team doing the work and its presenters often only work 20 hours tops. Having the same boybands, modern 'country' singers, RTE show presenters, sports stars, etc. on hardly requires any research at all does it?!?! If RTE are to survive, they need to change their attitude.

Whatever sympathy people may have had for RTE is cancelled out by RTE's blatant cronyism and their attitude towards the salaries of their 'stars'. When RTE keep pushing at us stuff we don't want presented by overpaid individuals, people will not be supportive.

It is sad that traditional media is on the wane but also true that a lot of them have only themselves to blame. From Pat Kenny's pontifications to Ryan Tubridy's smutty silliness, I think RTE have a lot to learn and they need serious reform. When RTE defends the salaries of Tubridy and others and claim they 'work hard' for what they get, they are delusional. RTE's shows have a whole research team doing the work and its presenters often only work 20 hours tops. Having the same boybands, modern 'country' singers, RTE show presenters, sports stars, etc. on hardly requires any research at all does it?!?! If RTE are to survive, they need to change their attitude.

I said at the very beginning of this thread that RTE were very far behind in terms of how people get their media, RTE needs to catch up fast. The player is appalling, rarely works.

An on demand service with relevant content would help.
    Maybe scrapping 24 hour TV station and moving to entirely an on demand model would reduce costs and improve the quality of the content.

I genuinely don't watch TV anymore.
    I watch Netflix/Amazon Prime.
    I read the news on breakingnews.ie
    I might watch the 6:01 news, once a blue moon
    And I listen to Newtalk/Spin1038/Fm104/98fm in the Car.

All the ad revenue generated as a result of me, goes to everyone except RTE.

These cuts have been a long time coming, RTE are now basically screaming at the government to come in with the magic cash wand and save them. But it's not going to happen this close to an election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

I said at the very beginning of this thread that RTE were very far behind in terms of how people get their media, RTE needs to catch up fast. The player is appalling, rarely works.

An on demand service with relevant content would help.
    Maybe scrapping 24 hour TV station and moving to entirely an on demand model would reduce costs and improve the quality of the content.

I genuinely don't watch TV anymore.
    I watch Netflix/Amazon Prime.
    I read the news on breakingnews.ie
    I might watch the 6:01 news, once a blue moon
    And I listen to Newtalk/Spin1038/Fm104/98fm in the Car.

All the ad revenue generated as a result of me, goes to everyone except RTE.

These cuts have been a long time coming, RTE are now basically screaming at the government to come in with the magic cash wand and save them. But it's not going to happen this close to an election.

Stations like RTE are always complaining about how Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. are taking away their audiences and now are even pointing to the audio/video sharing site YouTube as a reason why people have turned away from RTE. This is used time and time again as the excuse as to why people are not watching RTE/or watching much of RTE. NEVER is the poor content blamed.

It is also ludicrous forcing people to pay fees to RTE when they do not watch it. A model akin to Sky or the affore mentioned services would be better. It is the dream of RTE to get all owners of TVs, computers and other devices where content can be watched to pay their fee. Their ATTITUDE is all wrong and will not gain them any support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Listening to a union rep for workers at RTE saying he won't allow his members be targeted, what do they plan on doing? Going on strike does he think this will upset the public and garner support..ha ha ha ha .
    Would I be giving Dee Forbes too much credit to suggest this might be her tactic to break the unions? Lure them into going on strike so they can be re-educated regarded how (little) they're valued by the Irish public?

Sleepy wrote: »
    Would I be giving Dee Forbes too much credit to suggest this might be her tactic to break the unions? Lure them into going on strike so they can be re-educated regarded how (little) they're valued by the Irish public?

Plausible

Could be all part of "The Plan"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,473 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

More likely trying to force the government to give them more money - they don't think that far ahead

I hear Mary Wilson went off on a minister when he asked a legitimate question regarding their finances.
    He simply said 'I cannot understand how RTE has continually failed to turn a profit' in the last number of years.
    Wilson snapped back with 'In all fairness, minister, have you not been paying attention over the last few years'?

I'm sure he has... and that was a legitimate enquiry to ask. Virgin Media One (previously TV3) never made the same financially stupid mistakes that RTE have.
    They couldn't afford to-and that was sensible. Even when they were bought out by Virgin Media, there were cuts made-Xpose got the chop, presenters like Mark Cagney retired, others were let go.

RTE have frantically refused to let presenters go-even some who are well past retirement age.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

retalivity wrote: »
    Stuff for them, far too long insulated from the real world in D4. If Miriam, tubs etc all worked in Darndale instead of Donnybrook, maybe they wouldn't have been so quick to champion scrotes like Margaret Cash et al.

of course they would, had they actually been championing them in the first place.
    where they would work wouldn't matter if they were the type to champion them.
    reporting objectively rather then reporting what one would like to hear, or reporting in a manner designed to cause confirmation bias, is not championing, it is just bad and biassed broadcasting.

i would think you are tbh.
    it wouldn't be in her remit anyway, and even if it was, it would be a pointless exercise as quite rightly the unions don't care about the general public's opinion, just that of their members, as it should be tbh.
    I hear Mary Wilson went off on a minister when he asked a legitimate question regarding their finances.
    He simply said 'I cannot understand how RTE has continually failed to turn a profit' in the last number of years.
    Wilson snapped back with 'In all fairness, minister, have you not been paying attention over the last few years'?

I'm sure he has... and that was a legitimate enquiry to ask. Virgin Media One (previously TV3) never made the same financially stupid mistakes that RTE have.
    They couldn't afford to-and that was sensible. Even when they were bought out by Virgin Media, there were cuts made-Xpose got the chop, presenters like Mark Cagney retired, others were let go.

RTE have frantically refused to let presenters go-even some who are well past retirement age.

in fairness if the presenters way passed their retirement age bring in a good audience then they would be stupid to let them go. keep them for as long as they bring in the audience. once they don't, or if they don't, then absolutely get rid. and that includes young presenters, if they aren't fitting the bill get rid.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

It may be a sign of how little regard I have for rte's output, but I have no idea who Mary Wilson is.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

McGaggs wrote: »
    It may be a sign of how little regard I have for rte's output, but I have no idea who Mary Wilson is.

Yeah ..but you are probably one one of those with it hipsters...who stride around with a chai latte clutched in their mitt and wires dangling out of your aural orifices ?

How would a mover and shaker like you know who Mary Wilson is ?

Yeah ..but you are probably one one of those with it hipsters...who stride around with a chai latte clutched in their mitt and wires dangling out of your aural orifices ?

How would a mover and shaker like you know who Mary Wilson is ?

I've googled her and found out she's on rte radio 1. As someone under 60, how would I be expected to be aware of the radio 1 staff? I am also unfamiliar with lattes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

of course they would, had they actually been championing them in the first place.
    where they would work wouldn't matter if they were the type to champion them.
    reporting objectively rather then reporting what one would like to hear, or reporting in a manner designed to cause confirmation bias, is not championing, it is just bad and biassed broadcasting.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/homeless-dublin-ireland-15036222

Getting a 28 year old woman with 7kids, who staged a photo op of them sleeping in a garda station to try and get a free house quicker, who is also a convicted criminal for petty theft, married to a another convicted criminal who was currently imprisoned for serious theft and assault, onto the show, then softballs them with questions on how terrible life is, and what their hopes and dreams are - that is not biased reporting?? Or championing them?? Miriam literally put her on a pedestal to spout nonsense about how the govt is robbing her, with no objective reporting and calling out falshoods or blatant contradictions! And she's not the only one that did it, in this case or others.

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/homeless-dublin-ireland-15036222

Getting a 28 year old woman with 7kids, who staged a photo op of them sleeping in a garda station to try and get a free house quicker, who is also a convicted criminal for petty theft, married to a another convicted criminal who was currently imprisoned for serious theft and assault, onto the show, then softballs them with questions on how terrible life is, and what their hopes and dreams are - that is not biased reporting?? Or championing them?? Miriam literally put her on a pedestal to spout nonsense about how the govt is robbing her, with no objective reporting and calling out falshoods or blatant contradictions! And she's not the only one that did it, in this case or others.

At last a bit of reality is being spoken here.

Advertisement