Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

McGaggs wrote: »
    I've googled her and found out she's on rte radio 1. As someone under 60, how would I be expected to be aware of the radio 1 staff? I am also unfamiliar with lattes.

I'm nowhere near 60-but she used to be more prominent in RTE-more on the news or current affairs. Now she's on radio.
    of course they would, had they actually been championing them in the first place.
    where they would work wouldn't matter if they were the type to champion them.

in fairness if the presenters way passed their retirement age bring in a good audience then they would be stupid to let them go. keep them for as long as they bring in the audience. once they don't, or if they don't, then absolutely get rid. and that includes young presenters, if they aren't fitting the bill get rid.

Yeah, I was being a bit ageist. Sorry for that. But when you have the likes of Marion Finucane doing 'maybe' one show every one or two months, and still getting a hefty paycheck, it might be time to consider her employment.

As for the younger presenters-yeah, there are plenty I would let go. Too many to mention, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Photo of her at Gay's funeral in today's Indo; the only thing on her face that hasn't aged is the glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It may be a sign of how little regard I have for rte's output, but I have no idea who Mary Wilson is.

I have no idea who she is either

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

retalivity wrote: »
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/homeless-dublin-ireland-15036222

Getting a 28 year old woman with 7kids, who staged a photo op of them sleeping in a garda station to try and get a free house quicker, who is also a convicted criminal for petty theft, married to a another convicted criminal who was currently imprisoned for serious theft and assault, onto the show, then softballs them with questions on how terrible life is, and what their hopes and dreams are - that is not biased reporting?? Or championing them??

i would say it's not no .
    retalivity wrote: »
    Miriam literally put her on a pedestal to spout nonsense about how the govt is robbing her, with no objective reporting and calling out falshoods or blatant contradictions! And she's not the only one that did it, in this case or others.

no she didn't. the point of the program was to talk about the situation miss cash was in at the time, how it was effecting her and her children. the reporting was absolutely objective from what i saw given the context of the program.
    what you were looking for was further probing into miss cash's personal life, but in relation to her situation much of it was really irrelevant, at least in terms of the context of the program, and what it was doing, which was simply reporting the facts of miss cash's housing situation. not doing further probing into someone's personal life, in relation to a situation like this, won't necessarily be non-objective, it will depend on the context in which the program is being put together and aired.
    yes perhapse a better presenter would have been able to ask some more challenging questions in a way that would get her to open up more, but ultimately the job of the piece was to report on her situation and that is what it did.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,423 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

no she didn't. the point of the program was to talk about the situation miss cash was in at the time, how it was effecting her and her children. the reporting was absolutely objective from what i saw given the context of the program.
    what you were looking for was further probing into miss cash's personal life, but in relation to her situation much of it was really irrelevant, at least in terms of the context of the program, and what it was doing, which was simply reporting the facts of miss cash's housing situation. not doing further probing into someone's personal life, in relation to a situation like this, won't necessarily be non-objective, it will depend on the context in which the program is being put together and aired.
    yes perhapse a better presenter would have been able to ask some more challenging questions in a way that would get her to open up more, but ultimately the job of the piece was to report on her situation and that is what it did.

That’s the problem with all these programmes,the ‘back stories’ which lead to the situation people are in, are not reported on.

Like the couple who were under eviction out in Killiney ....and the ‘ luvvies, and ‘activists’ all dived in... full blast...terrible treatment.... then it turns out they have numerous other properties.....worth over 50 large.

Pull the other one, buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have no idea who she is either
    She's one of the Supremes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

That’s the problem with all these programmes,the ‘back stories’ which lead to the situation people are in, are not reported on.

Like the couple who were under eviction out in Killiney ....and the ‘ luvvies, and ‘activists’ all dived in... full blast...terrible treatment.... then it turns out they have numerous other properties.....worth over 50 large.

Pull the other one, buddy.

the first thing when reporting a story is to report the facts as they stand, and if then more information comes to light, report that.
    that all happened when it came to miss cash and the couple with the multiple properties.
    it is absolutely right people are given the benefit of the doubt until such time information comes to light to show otherwise. innocent until proven guilty and all of that.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

the first thing when reporting a story is to report the facts as they stand, and if then more information comes to light, report that.
    that all happened when it came to miss cash and the couple with the multiple properties.
    it is absolutely right people are given the benefit of the doubt until such time information comes to light to show otherwise. innocent until proven guilty and all of that.

Might be better to research the background before ‘going to print’ so to speak.

The public would have more respect, in my opinion, if that simple journalistic norm was followed.

Maybe that kind of ‘grunt work’ doesn’t get the headlines, but to those grunts who can see what is going on, it’s quite important.

Vested interest comes to mind......uhhhmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Well then the facts were Ms Cash's Garda Station photo op were a publicity stunt having been egged on by some charity or other. Another fact was Ms cash was no stranger to thievery she was in a getaway car (drunk or so she said) when her gallant hubby beat a frail old woman so severely during a robbery and tied her up with shoelaces that she never returned to her home after the ordeal. She was no stranger to criminality. Any journalist could have found that out with a 5 min Google isn't that what journalists should be doing after all instead of waiting for more facts to "come to light"

Well then the facts were Ms Cash's Garda Station photo op were a publicity stunt having been egged on by some charity or other. Another fact was Ms cash was no stranger to thievery she was in a getaway car (drunk or so she said) when her gallant hubby beat a frail old woman so severely during a robbery and tied her up with shoelaces that she never returned to her home after the ordeal. She was no stranger to criminality. Any journalist could have found that out with a 5 min Google isn't that what journalists should be doing after all instead of waiting for more facts to "come to light"

Correct Sham, time these ‘vested interest’ people were called out .

Only come out from under their slates when their ‘patch’ is exposed.

Well said, lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

A BETTER presenter ?? Yo mean one even paid more that €200 K per annum ???

Journalist, as soon as she was on tv a google search brought up Facebook account which she had forgot to clean up......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,473 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

https://www.thejournal.ie/moya-doherty-rte-4885467-Nov2019/

Someone from RTE interviewing someone else from RTE and not a whisper of the interviewers wages mentioned

fritzelly wrote: »

Someone from RTE interviewing someone else from RTE and not a whisper of the interviewers wages mentioned

That attitude will get her nowhere

Ploughing 32 million into the current sh*t will not help, it will just be wasted on more gobsh*ts

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah when she says “25 million pounds” you know she’s not living in the real world!!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭65535

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

The journal have another promo for RTE Boucher Hayes. Something going on with the journal and RTE of late?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

jimmynokia wrote: »
    The journal have another promo for RTE Boucher Hayes. Something going on with the journal and RTE of late?

If Boucher Hayes finds any of of them on his estate,he’ll have them shot on site!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Whatever sympathy people may have had for RTE is cancelled out by RTE's blatant cronyism and their attitude towards the salaries of their 'stars'. When RTE keep pushing at us stuff we don't want presented by overpaid individuals, people will not be supportive.

It is sad that traditional media is on the wane but also true that a lot of them have only themselves to blame. From Pat Kenny's pontifications to Ryan Tubridy's smutty silliness, I think RTE have a lot to learn and they need serious reform.

Pat kenny hasn't been on rte in years.
    Why do some people still think he is???? Ive read it a few times on boards since rte announced the cuts, that pat should have his salary cut!!!
    He's on newstalk and virgin media.

Did you mean Ray darcy???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Now the journal have plugged Joe duffys new book. Something going on for sure. With RTE that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,473 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Now the journal have plugged Joe duffys new book. Something going on for sure. With RTE that is.

I 'd be pretty sure that he used a ghost writer

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Yes, The Journal are the official provider of "wokeness" and "down with the kidz training" to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I 'd be pretty sure that he used a ghost writer

I don't think so it is a collaborative work with Freya Mc Clements. Who did the most of the writing I don't know.

Bit of cooperation between RTE and The Journal might be no harm.

I think so too. I know The Journal has had to close down parts of the site fairly recently-DailyEdge, for one.

And other parts-like posting comments, have been removed entirely. Too much work for moderators-mainly because a lot of the comments were of the 'what the hell is that sh*t' kinda deal.

So I imagine any promotion of RTE folks will be good for them-mainly because it looks like its paid promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

They were saying how great it is to have a programme like Nationwide. I've never seen it. Is that a show where they go round the country talking to farmers?

They were saying how great it is to have a programme like Nationwide. I've never seen it. Is that a show where they go round the country talking to farmers?

Ah now-no need to make fun of a certain job. Anyone thinks farming is easy, try it for a week.

Nationwide is like Ireland's Own-it generally covers all the bases. Writing, art, photography, sculpture, gardening, horticulture, philosophy...

It covers all the bases. Unfortunately, it's kind of a relic. You won't find anyone around the age of 18 or 21 on that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Ah now-no need to make fun of a certain job. Anyone thinks farming is easy, try it for a week.

Nationwide is like Ireland's Own-it generally covers all the bases. Writing, art, photography, sculpture, gardening, horticulture, philosophy...

It covers all the bases. Unfortunately, it's kind of a relic. You won't find anyone around the age of 18 or 21 on that show.

Not having a go at farmer's, just trying to find out what the show is.

It sounds like a proper use of the licence fee; a piece of public service broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

It sounds like a proper use of the licence fee; a piece of public service broadcasting.

It was, until they appointed Blathnaid to present after Mary Kennedys retirement. Now it'll be a condescending mess with that overpaid ego at the helm. (I've no idea how much she's paid but it's precisely €1M too much - she should be paying for the privilege of being on air)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Have a look, it's also on the +1 so you can catch it at 8pm.

It's a mixed bag so you need to watch a couple of progs to get the measure of it.

I was going to suggest the player but I wouldn't be able for the abuse :)

• Advertisement

Nationwide is popular program and probably high on viewers in Ireland. This type of programs should not be laughed at. This is what RTE should be doing. Meeting the requirements of a large section of the population in Ireland....

Advertisement