Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Elmo wrote: »
    RíRá? not really a sketch show. I need to know lol.

Anyway Tubs won't be found wanting, his audience will on the other hand, suppose when a 15% cut means you have to live of 420,000 per year you wouldn't want to be found wanting!

The ones listed on Wiki only cover the 2000's.

No fear lads and lassies...
    RTÉ and Acorn TV commission second season of Irish Comedy Finding Joy
    http://iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4293087&tpl=archnews&force=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I see Terry prone is back on rte on Daithis sofa on the afternoon discussing various happenings around the country.. The Irony of that one earnestly goin on about bullying... Same aul talking heads on rte day in day out nothing new to say. Stale as yesterday's bread

• Registered Users Posts: 51,766 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I see Terry prone is back on rte on Daithis sofa on the afternoon discussing various happenings around the country.. The Irony of that one earnestly goin on about bullying... Same aul talking heads on rte day in day out nothing new to say. Stale as yesterday's bread

If it’s not her it’s Mary O’Rourke.
    Closed shop RTÉ, cronies and relatives. All at the trough, all well heeled already with pensions.
    Should be closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

RTE supporting the arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

sligojoek wrote: »
    RTE supporting the arts.

More like the art not supporting RTE. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

If it’s not her it’s Mary O’Rourke.
    Closed shop RTÉ, cronies and relatives. All at the trough, all well heeled already with pensions.
    Should be closed down.

Tbh, Virgin Media 1 aren't exactly putting out anything better. If you tune into Ireland AM in the morning, it's literally 'TV for mammies who can't use the internet'.

A few years ago, it was decent, wake you up easy kind of television with interesting discussion. Now it's 'Let's read out another, boring, vapid text from someone who's probably been up all night with a baby with colic, or teething, and who's barely functioning on 30 minutes of sleep and this text barely makes sense'... ad nauseum.

And then it's discussion of last night's I'm a Celebrity: Get me out of here, in case you missed it because you were doing everything in your power to avoid it.

I'm not looking for amazing television, I just want something that's not crap.

Tbh, Virgin Media 1 aren't exactly putting out anything better. If you tune into Ireland AM in the morning, it's literally 'TV for mammies who can't use the internet'.

A few years ago, it was decent, wake you up easy kind of television with interesting discussion. Now it's 'Let's read out another, boring, vapid text from someone who's probably been up all night with a baby with colic, or teething, and who's barely functioning on 30 minutes of sleep and this text barely makes sense'... ad nauseum.

And then it's discussion of last night's I'm a Celebrity: Get me out of here, in case you missed it because you were doing everything in your power to avoid it.

It's all become very grey. Anything even mildly controversial is avoided. Anybody who strays from the groupthink is "disappeared" just think myers or waters I'm sure there are many more. One day they are there the next they are banished from the screens never to be seen again

It's all become very grey. Anything even mildly controversial is avoided. Anybody who strays from the groupthink is "disappeared" just think myers or waters I'm sure there are many more. One day they are there the next they are banished from the screens never to be seen again

Yeah, when Mark Cagney retired, he made a 'brief' mention of Aidan Cooney, thanking him while also not going into details as to why he was let go from the then TV3.
    Aidan was a bit of a laugh, but I get the feeling that the sense of cameraderie that used to exist at TV3 (and the debate) was slowly phased out when it became VM1.
    Aidan being let go, as well as many other people being let go, probably affected morale at the place.
    Probably one of the reasons Mark left.

Now it's TV for just bland, mindless rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yeah, when Mark Cagney retired, he made a 'brief' mention of Aidan Cooney, thanking him while also not going into details as to why he was let go from the then TV3.
    Aidan was a bit of a laugh, but I get the feeling that the sense of cameraderie that used to exist at TV3 (and the debate) was slowly phased out when it became VM1.
    Aidan being let go, as well as many other people being let go, probably affected morale at the place.
    Probably one of the reasons Mark left.

Now it's TV for just bland, mindless rubbish.

I’d say that Mark Cagney was given a job for the boys, in 1999 he was still relatively well known.

according to him he took a 30% pay cut at one point, if your able to take such a cut your well paid. When he renegotiate TV3 told him he wasn’t need as it’s just a tv breaky show with a small audience not worth his wage, when they can bring in others would for a lot less money. It was grey when he was there and he looked bored after 20 years. IMO

On tg4 now very interesting programme about tory Island But they dropped the subtitles after the first break.. Very sloppy production and its not the first time

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    I’d say that Mark Cagney was given a job for the boys, in 1999 he was still relatively well known.

according to him he took a 30% pay cut at one point, if your able to take such a cut your well paid. When he renegotiate TV3 told him he wasn’t need as it’s just a tv breaky show with a small audience not worth his wage, when they can bring in others would for a lot less money. It was grey when he was there and he looked bored after 20 years. IMO

He'd been in radio for a while, was a buddy of Gerry Ryan's, and Dave Fanning's, to name a few.

He was less green than some of the hosts they have now. Glenda Gilson got a pretty high profile gig because she was Liam Lawlor's niece.
    Far better presenters than her out there.
    At least Cagney put in the hours.
    On tg4 now very interesting programme about tory Island But they dropped the subtitles after the first break.. Very sloppy production and its not the first time

TG4 often do that-it's crazy how that channel became less professional as time went on, rather than more professional.
    Still, I often tune into that more than I tune into RTE 2.
    It's bizarre tho-TG4 seems to just show repeats of shows from 40 years ago-in prime time slots.

Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

You don't have to pay €160 a year for Virgin

You are living in a golden age of tv with a myriad of options to access it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,300 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I seriously doubt you d get Virgin for €160 a year?
    You are living in a golden age of tv with a myriad of options to access it all.

Golden age! Fcuking hell, with the majority of it pure ****e

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I seriously doubt you d get Virgin for €160 a year?

Golden age! Fcuking hell, with the majority of it pure ****e

It's not a golden age of tv tho-I mean, netflix, amazon, and the other services not available over here(yet) such as Disney +, Hbo Now, etc. Aren't television-they don't even require a TV.
    Streaming services aren't television-because they don't operate in the same ways that television used to.

The Golden age of TV was the 70s and 80s. Sometime in the 90s, was when we got 'targeted' tv channels-the likes of Nickelodeon or HBO.
    The Golden age of tv has passed, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Virgin Media Television are part of Ireland 2nd biggest telecommunications company, one of the worlds largest telecommunications companies.
    It's not a golden age of tv tho-I mean, netflix, amazon, and the other services not available over here(yet) such as Disney +, Hbo Now, etc. Aren't television-they don't even require a TV.
    Streaming services aren't television-because they don't operate in the same ways that television used to.

The Golden age of TV was the 70s and 80s. Sometime in the 90s, was when we got 'targeted' tv channels-the likes of Nickelodeon or HBO.
    The Golden age of tv has passed, sadly.

It will still be known as TV a TV series. It's they easy word to describe content. If you want to be padanitic

1970s/1980s the golden era of the mini series and Brit TV (perhaps the early 1990s also)
    1990s golden era of Network American TV
    2000s golden era of Cable American TV
    2010s golden era of streamers of which HBO is a cable broadcaster.

HBO Now is Sky Atlantic, won't be coming in the near future.

You might be thinking of services rather than content.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thursday night prime time and we are being shown 3 year old repeats of the Great British bake off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Another thing I have noticed with the chatshows on RTE is they put the rubbish guests on first and expect people to wait around until the good guest(s) are put on last. People are not going to sit around waiting for a good guest and endure drivel for 3/4s of the show. Ryan Tubridy's show should be about 1 hour to 1.5 hours long tops not nearly 3 hours long. Last night, Trevor McDonald was on (a good guest) but the usual poor fare preceded him. Likewise, when Bobby 'Mr Moonlight' Ryan's son and daughter were on, they too were on last after nearly 2 hours of drivel. RTE are not going to win much viewers if this is how they go on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yeah, but they're doing it at a fraction of the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Another thing I have noticed with the chatshows on RTE is they put the rubbish guests on first and expect people to wait around until the good guest(s) are put on last. People are not going to sit around waiting for a good guest and endure drivel for 3/4s of the show. Ryan Tubridy's show should be about 1 hour to 1.5 hours long tops not nearly 3 hours long. Last night, Trevor McDonald was on (a good guest) but the usual poor fare preceded him. Likewise, when Bobby 'Mr Moonlight' Ryan's son and daughter were on, they too were on last after nearly 2 hours of drivel. RTE are not going to win much viewers if this is how they go on.

and they are not going to win actual viewership of the show if they put the good guests on first. people will just tune in to watch who they want and tune out after. by leaving the better lot til last, the idea is some will at least wait around. yes many won't but some will.

this is normal standard practice.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

and they are not going to win actual viewership of the show if they put the good guests on first. people will just tune in to watch who they want and tune out after. by leaving the better lot til last, the idea is some will at least wait around. yes many won't but some will.

this is normal standard practice.

Shorter show with better guests is the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

that means something else to fill airtime, which might actually work out more expensive over all, but which may bring in less viewership.
    a couple of hours of a chat show with mostly fluff and the odd good guest on the other hand is probably cheap enough over all, and the show apparently does get decent ratings.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Another thing I have noticed with the chatshows on RTE is they put the rubbish guests on first and expect people to wait around until the good guest(s) are put on last.

That's literally ever talk show, everywhere.

It's done for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,766 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

And better host who actually listens to the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

Jesus christ who ever created the rte player should be brought out the back and beaten with a keyboard and throw in the person who signed off on paying for it, what a terrible piece of programming.

Norton regrets not being in Ireland for Gays passing. You'd swear he was in out Mongolia, not England.

I'd say that article is a complete work of fiction. It is the mirror after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,423 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

"Is he worth the money? I think he’s worth double the money!

"He has to be good if he’s doing the job and remember someone hired him for that job."

Brilliant, i'm going into my boss in the morning & asking him to double my pay. Well, i have to be good if i'm doing the job and remember he hired me :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement