Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

To be fair Dee only gets €338k a year...

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0626/973359-rte-annual-report/

Is that car allowance 25k a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,336 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is that car allowance 25k a year?

Yes, it would only get a 'modest' supercar.

It's feckin shocking, a basket case organisation losing €6.4 million a year paying its boss so much, bloody disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,465 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

"So yeah, I know you're paying me this ridiculous wage to run a company losing a fortune but we need more money"

Try running it better so its not losing money maybe and justify your wage - radical thoughts I know

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

kneemos wrote: »
    Not just saying it,but she is a dire interviewer. Anytime I've seen her glaringly obvious questions get ignored for the ones on her card.
    The constant mmmm does my head in as well.

I'm thinking Claire Byrne's gonna be 'under review' soon. What with losing a court case, her farcical '8th debate', and two more apologies that she had to make afterwards, one last week was made to Willie O'Dea regarding a slanderous 'perjury' comment.

She's cost RTE quite a bit recently, and her own show is a dismal, comical affair-recycled debates, recycled arguments...there was more 'serious' discussion regarding bloody Fortnite than there was the rape trial, and the Belfast trial.

She's seriously unable for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,465 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

RTE should be run as a proper business and not a cash cow for a few elite - if you're losing money you cut the chaff
    The country deserves accountability for where the licence fee is going - hell we pay enough. For a licence fee that is basically the same as the UK we get nothing here in comparison.
    The Beeb run multiple orchestras, regional BBC TV/radio stations, produce world class programs and the list goes on, still some wasted money avenues, but for value for money they are pretty exemplary around the world.

RTE gives us multiple chat shows regurgitating the same ol', same ol', some rather naff dramas (Fair City been money for old rope) and spend a fortune on UK soaps (and others)
    Always thought the production values on TG4's programmes to be better than RTE

There is no value for money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Colm Hayes reackons RTE is slow and bumbling,and progress is stifled by unions and the sheer size of the organisation.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/radio-novas-colm-hayes-slams-12803297

To be fair if RTÉ was properly ran, he wouldn’t have ever been let near the place, never mind bagging over €200k a year.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    To be fair if RTÉ was properly ran, he wouldn’t have ever been let near the place, never mind bagging over €200k a year.

I know a few people who studied media-seemed to be going places, but all of their chances were with other stations-UTV, TG4 and TV3. (When UTV closed down, I know a few people who lost their jobs there. One works as a secretary now, and maybe as a Voice over actor. If she's lucky. Tv3 and Tg4 are more likely to employ you, tbh. But behind the scenes-floor runner, PA, etc). Too many have to try and ask parents for support.

Others went freelance-and another went to England and trained as a gym coach. The latter one was more surprising, seemed to be going places-had a blog, got a once off gig with RTE (a five minute segment on teen RTE website, more than most) and then nada.

I don't think it can be understated how important the kids tv department of RTE was to getting talent. From behind the scenes, to presenting jobs.
    Now it's just an elitist 'inhouse'...

Have you ever stayed up late on a weeknight? If you have, you'll see there are an absolute ton of shows on late at night that are just wasted money-they're all cancelled, no longer airing etc But you know RTE have spent quite a pretty penny on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I wonder how much was spent commissioning a series of ads featuring the famous faces reminding us of the great Service provided under the tagline "Supported by your licence fee" Throwing good money after bad IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,336 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I wonder how much was spent commissioning a series of ads featuring the famous faces reminding us of the great Service provided under the tagline "Supported by your licence fee" Throwing good money after bad IMO.

Or how much the running of the "Your Orchestras" adverts cost in lost slots they could have otherwise sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Mrhuth

You cruel people, they barely get half a million a year. They are barely surviving. Disgraceful attitude from the posters, I hope they get another raise soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Caspian Petite Corner

Mrhuth wrote: »
    You cruel people, they barely get half a million a year. They are barely surviving. Disgraceful attitude from the posters, I hope they get another raise soon.

Won’t somebody please think of Ryan Tubberdys children 😂😂 the next wave of RTe ‘talent’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

grahambo wrote: »
    I don't watch RTE, not even for the Soccer/GAA. I might listen to the radio when I drive the car in the morning (which is once a blue moon)
    I don't use the service, why the hell should I have to pay for it!

And then there's the salaries of the bigshots
    Ryan Tubridy - €500,000 per year is the biggest Joke of all
    That salary puts him on a par with the likes of Claudia Winkleman, Alan Shearer, Fiona Bruce of the BBC.
    He is nothing compared to them.
    BBC can justify big salaries as it is broadcast around the world, and the content is generally quite good.

I don't have children. So should I be able to deduct some of the tax paid as I shouldn't contribute to children's allowances or schooling etc etc

I have my own house, maybe I should deduct taxes that pays for social housing?

As for the boring Tubridy argument that people always bring up like a broken record - he is a serious PROFIT earner for RTE. Not one solitary cent of licence fee is used for his salary or the production of shows that he is in as sponsorship and advertising of programmes he is in produces a surplus in the millions for RTE.

The Christmas Toy show alone brings in over €500,000 in commercial fees

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I'm thinking Claire Byrne's gonna be 'under review' soon. What with losing a court case, her farcical '8th debate', and two more apologies that she had to make afterwards, one last week was made to Willie O'Dea regarding a slanderous 'perjury' comment.

She's cost RTE quite a bit recently, and her own show is a dismal, comical affair-recycled debates, recycled arguments...there was more 'serious' discussion regarding bloody Fortnite than there was the rape trial, and the Belfast trial.

She's seriously unable for the job.

I completely agree. Went from reading the news on TV3 to her own TV and radio show on RTE by way of Newstalk. How did that happen? Way out of her depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I don't have children. So should I be able to deduct some of the tax paid as I shouldn't contribute to children's allowances or schooling etc etc

I have my own house, maybe I should deduct taxes that pays for social housing?

As for the boring Tubridy argument that people always bring up like a broken record - he is a serious PROFIT earner for RTE. Not one solitary cent of licence fee is used for his salary or the production of shows that he is in as sponsorship and advertising of programmes he is in produces a surplus in the millions for RTE.

The Christmas Toy show alone brings in over €500,000 in commercial fees

He's not,the show is.
    Obviously a trained monkey would pull in the punters to watch that depressing crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Caspian Petite Corner

I completely agree. Went from reading the news on TV3 to her own TV and radio show on RTE by way of Newstalk. How did that happen? Way out of her depth.

Quotas/appease the twitter brigade to have a female in the current affairs -

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

It's losing money but it's 'losing' much of that money into the pócaí of a ream of staff and contractors.
    So in essence nothing will change and the poor mouth will be perpetually be played in future.

Think of the scenario. Tubridy and D'Arcy et al are called in for a contract review.

They're all told that RTE is losing money. Here's the accounts if you need the proof.
    They will need to take substantially reduced pay as a consequence. Take a few days to think about it, consult solicitors.
    If they disagree or do a 'Gerry Ryan' on it then their contracts are terminated with immediate effect, the rest of their current signed contracts would be paid out over a period of 5 to 10 years and their respective shows would be, to borrow a Simpsons ref would be "...put on hiatus for retooling"

It's a contract with a 'company' after all. It would be dissolving of the services from a company i.e. Tubridy's Media Company. It wouldn't be him getting fired so to speak, it's just that his company charges too much given the perilous financial situation, a resolution couldn't be reached and the companies parted ways. That would be the spin on it, that the enterprise is committed to becoming solvent again.

It's a publically funded entity and it needs to show the public that it can run a tight ship which it currently isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Iirc removing the top earners wouldn't solve the problem, as even the most basic of jobs in RTE is vastly overpaid compared to any competitor.

Of which probably €150,000 is returned to government in tax.

I always find it funny how the sensationalist media whine about well paid people and compare their own take home pay to the well paid people's gross pay.

So yes her take home salary of 170k is very nice, it's not outrageous in the scheme of things and I believe substantially lower than what she was on in Discovery channel and far lower than private sector equivalent for companies of similar size.

But people will whine away anyway.

Yet they won't whine about the amount spent on emergency housing or if they are a mortgage payer, the amount of their payment that goes towrds those who don't pay their mortgage (estimated at over 20,000 mortgage holders and costing average mortgage payer over €500 a year - three times the TV licence fee)

Nope, you mention that and you get shot down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

giphy.gif

I always find it funny how the sensationalist media whine about well paid people and compare their own take home pay to the well paid people's gross pay.

So yes her take home salary of 170k is very nice, it's not outrageous in the scheme of things and I believe substantially lower than what she was on in Discovery channel and far lower than private sector equivalent for companies of similar size.

Yet they won't whine about the amount spent on emergency housing or if they are a mortgage payer, the amount of their payment that goes towrds those who don't pay their mortgage (estimated at over 20,000 mortgage holders and costing average mortgage payer over €500 a year - three times the TV licence fee)

Value for money I think is the argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

And if it was a private company of similar size losing 6 million a year, every year then it wouldn't be long before that remuneration figure would be 0. That's the argument; getting handsomely paid despite losing money hand over fist and instead of looking to right that, to go cap in hand to perpetuate it by default. In a private enterprise, you'd like to think every aspect of the operations would be looked at and the best value derived from it. That's the job and if the enterprise was solvent then no one would be complaining about hefty remuneration. The message is we're not going to do that and is essentially a demand to increase the license fee so RTE can continue to lose money.

Value for money I think is the argument.

I suggest you look at how much Union bosses are paid then! - Funny, some unions keep that secret!

Let's put it this way - some have a package worth well over €400,000! Paid for by union members (whose dues are usually well over the €160 licence fee) who dare not question the mandarins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I suggest you look at how much Union bosses are paid then! - Funny, some unions keep that secret!

Let's put it this way - some have a package worth well over €400,000! Paid for by union members (whose dues are usually well over the €160 licence fee) who dare not question the mandarins.

400K!

Come on now and tell us which ones?

Quotas/appease the twitter brigade to have a female in the current affairs -

I'd be asking more questions of Catriona Perry-another woman who has all the capability and warmth of a month old dead fish.
    She's been absent from the news quite a bit-and Keelin Shanley is a consummate professional. She's been in RTE for a solid 20+ years, and deserves her job tbh.

Collette Fitzpatrick is much better at current affairs-she's a really good interviewer too. Seen her in person, and she's incredibly professional. But also doesn't walk around like an emotionless robot.

She's a woman who-*prepares for the feminist vitriol*-literally slept her way to the top. Her first job she has an affair with her boss, who leaves his wife for her. He divorces, and then marries her (Claire thought she could have a church wedding-didn't research that divorces can't marry in a church. She spent months planning a church wedding, and, in true blonde fashion, found out that wasn't gonna happen.)
    That job allowed her profile to grow-but you know she got the good jobs because of her boss.

She then, while working for tv3,was sent out to report on Famine Africa or wherever, covering Goal's (I may be wrong on the charity) efforts to help-she had an affair with one of Goal's workers. He was also married (what is it with her and married men-there's gotta be a 'sister code' or something).

She leaves her husband-he leaves his wife. They start going out, she leaves tv3, but ends up in court because of claims her contract isn't up. She moves to rte, does an afternoon show with 'Daithi'...which is pants, then that's axed, she moves to Prime Time. (Before her afternoon show is cut-she leaves the Goal guy, but he only find that out in the newspaper). Pat Kenny leaves, and she gets a show-which started out promisingly enough, but as Secret RTE producer revealed-things behind the scenes went bad as stupidity within RTE led to the producer of her show leaving, and now its crap.

She's engaged/ recently married now-can't see that lasting, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,793 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Mirror issues an FOI on costs for guests, booze, wardrobe, make-up, etc
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107461313&postcount=7011

zell12 wrote: »
    Mirror issues an FOI on costs for guests, booze, wardrobe, make-up, etc
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107461313&postcount=7011

Am I wrong on the maths on this, or maybe it's not well written, but are they spending the same amount on Fair City that they do on Miriam for hair and make-up? And that's the entire cast, how much does it cost to make 'Miriam' look human? (Keep in mind the Miriam show only runs for 12 weeks or so).

Am I wrong on the maths on this, or maybe it's not well written, but are they spending the same amount on Fair City that they do on Miriam for hair and make-up? And that's the entire cast, how much does it cost to make 'Miriam' look human? (Keep in mind the Miriam show only runs for 12 weeks or so).

3,700 for hair and make up on presenters and guests for the Late Late Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Miriams apparently includes wardrobe too but Fair City adds on another 72k.
    How did they manage to spend 5k on hair and makeup for Ray darcy?

Miriams apparently includes wardrobe too but Fair City adds on another 72k.
    How did they manage to spend 5k on hair and makeup for Ray darcy?

I was wondering that too, then remembered Bertie cost almost 30 grand a year in 2004 for his makeup expenses-which would probably be closer to forty grand now in the years since, inflation and so on.

No idea how Ray's so expensive-but I do remember that if you paid for Grainne Seoige, her makeup team is not included in the price, and they add another 50 grand or so on to the deal. She had her own individual crew, no RTe 'staff' for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

What part of "RTE lost €20 million" don't you understand? Apparently the licence fee raises €214 million a year and most of it goes to RTE. RTE still has advertising revenue and after all that, including the "profit earner" Tubridy it still manages to lose about €20 million a year.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement