Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Birds of Prey's box office release in the cinemas here is released about a month or so before it's gets released in box office in Asia, particularly in China & Japan. Birds of Prey's was to be released in Japan on the 7th of March. The release date here was a month earlier. They have now been called off for any country that has this pandemic. For any countries that have not released movies in their cinema chains yet. The studios are probably stuck between a rock & a hard place about how they plan to release their films provided it doesn't hit the release schedules of their other films already in the cinema. Trolls World Tour from Dreamworks is one example in where it could not get a cinema release here because of the pandemic. TV Spots for this film have appeared numerous times on RTÉ which says that the film will be released At Home on Demand from today. And remember the cinema release delays of 007's No Time to Die until November. RTÉ still put out the Heineken ad's for the movie which said it was still to be released in April instead of November. But it was not RTÉ's fault that they showed the ad's to the viewers with the wrong release date on them. It's the movie studio's fault for doing it because I have seen that mistake happen a few times on ITV as well. Not everyone was immune to that issue.

It's off topic to discuss Birds of Prey, so I won't kinda drag the thread down.

But Birds of Prey wouldn't open in China. Probably not in JApan either. The movie was 'R' rated-and R rated movies don't get shown in Asia. (Joker and Deadpool didn't open over there, for example. Deadpool was edited down to a 15s (or PG 13) for an Asian release.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Jesus, RTÉ must be losing a fortune in lost ad revenue!!

Watching the SixOne news, and I’m seeing ads for Knock shrine, and Ireland’s Own

I bet if we grouped up, we could afford an ad on RTÉ, slating RTÉ!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The ordinary staff in RTE are not paid excessively ...

I would have a guess you are wrong here.

I'd say anyone in the any length of time would be well paid. Like the esb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Jesus, RTÉ must be losing a fortune in lost ad revenue!!

Watching the SixOne news, and I’m seeing ads for Knock shrine, and Ireland’s Own

I bet if we grouped up, we could afford an ad on RTÉ, slating RTÉ!!

I don't believe you. Sounds like something from an episode of father Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

NIMAN wrote: »
    I would have a guess you are wrong here.

I'd say anyone in the any length of time would be well paid. Like the esb.

MMM I would say ESB would be far better paid at ordinary staff level...but I could be wrong.

Is that the only part of my post that you had an opinion on ?

• Advertisement

MMM I would say ESB would be far better paid at ordinary staff level...but I could be wrong.

Is that the only part of my post that you had an opinion on ?

Agree with most of the rest of it if you need to know.
    But I have commented similarly in the past so I just wanted to highlight that there would be few badly paid people working for rte.

For example here are some salaries from late last year

https://www.glassdoor.ie/Salary/RT%C3%89-Salaries-E405162.htm

Agree with most of the rest of it if you need to know.
    But I have commented similarly in the past so I just wanted to highlight that there would be few badly paid people working for rte.

For example here are some salaries from late last year

https://www.glassdoor.ie/Salary/RT%C3%89-Salaries-E405162.htm

If you read my post carefully you will find I made no reference to people being "badly paid" in RTE..I just said that ordinary staff were not paid excessively

There is, for the discerning person ...a difference.....Hmmmm ?

McGaggs wrote: »

I can verify he's telling the truth.

Was watching the Late Late Show, and on comes an advert for the Ireland's Own 1920's centenary (I have that right, don't I? Centenary is 100 years, I think).
    It's pretty pricey, about €4.95. How the heck are people gonna afford it with no income?

Then comes the advert for Knock...

Yep. RTE are stuck for money.. so they'll grab onto anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Yep. RTE are stuck for money.. so they'll grab onto anything.
    So instead of grabbing, how about letting go?
    70+ managers and appalling stars with obscene salaries.
    700,000+ people lost their jobs the last few weeks, yet Ryan Tubridy still gets €1/2 million (plus expenses)...... every year.

Obscene, but you can be guaranteed that the workers and contributors of our society will be told by government and RTE that we will need to tighten our belts in the years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

McGaggs wrote: »

Or Apre Match perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I can verify he's telling the truth.

Was watching the Late Late Show, and on comes an advert for the Ireland's Own 1920's centenary (I have that right, don't I? Centenary is 100 years, I think).
    It's pretty pricey, about €4.95. How the heck are people gonna afford it with no income?

I'm wondering how the heck its target market are going to buy it when they're all cocooning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,476 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I'm wondering how the heck its target market are going to buy it when they're all cocooning.

Click and collect......like the slabs of Bavaria.

Is Kitty the Hare still in it?

Kivaro wrote: »
    So instead of grabbing, how about letting go?
    70+ managers and appalling stars with obscene salaries.
    700,000+ people lost their jobs the last few weeks, yet Ryan Tubridy still gets €1/2 million (plus expenses)...... every year.

Obscene, but you can be guaranteed that the workers and contributors of our society will be told by government and RTE that we will need to tighten our belts in the years to come.

Power, plain and simple.

RTE had the monopoly for about 30+ years or more, then came TV3. Even Tg4 (or T na G) was still part of RTE.

They had power and influence... and they don't want to let that go. The thing is, people are reluctant to give that 'power' when they realise others provide it for free, or a greatly reduced cost. In many respects, they're sort of similar to the Catholic church, which dictated pretty much everything you did or didn't see in everything from the town hall to the television.

RTE's pretty much a dinosaur-folks have so many options out there for entertainment. They don't need RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Power, plain and simple.

RTE had the monopoly for about 30+ years or more, then came TV3. Even Tg4 (or T na G) was still part of RTE.

They had power and influence... and they don't want to let that go. The thing is, people are reluctant to give that 'power' when they realise others provide it for free, or a greatly reduced cost. In many respects, they're sort of similar to the Catholic church, which dictated pretty much everything you did or didn't see in everything from the town hall to the television.

RTE's pretty much a dinosaur-folks have so many options out there for entertainment. They don't need RTE.

TV3/Virgin Media isn’t going to change that.

Re: Operation Transformation The covid spin off remains just has a different name.

Re: covid and Byrne and tubs, both seem not to have been tested.

Tubs left RTÉ Tuesday, didn’t present until the Monday following O’Callaghan’s second TLLS, that’s only 19 days, but he’s able to return to work? I am to believe that he was tested 3 times in that period to show two negative results before returning to work? To me it’s more like tubs had symptoms and recovered his employer should have given him another 14days to isolate.

Maybe I am wrong on this.

I'm nearly sure I heard both 'tested' positive for the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Elmo wrote: »
    TV3/Virgin Media isn’t going to change that.

Re: Operation Transformation The covid spin off remains just has a different name.

Re: covid and Byrne and tubs, both seem not to have been tested.

Tubs left RTÉ Tuesday, didn’t present until the Monday following O’Callaghan’s second TLLS, that’s only 19 days, but he’s able to return to work? I am to believe that he was tested 3 times in that period to show two negative results before returning to work? To me it’s more like tubs had symptoms and recovered his employer should have given him another 14days to isolate.

Maybe I am wrong on this.

Tubs had nothing and I called it when it came out, just a bit of publicity for RTE.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I'm nearly sure I heard both 'tested' positive for the virus.

I thought that too but it’s a very quick turn around for those tests. But I am not wrong on the timeline?

I got suspicious about the Coronavirus 'claims' by RTE. I know, based on symptoms, it sounds like Claire may have had it.

I managed to catch the flipping thing myself - and it's quite similar to a chest infection, tho more draining-it saps your energy. (Also tons of sweating).

When one is sitting down, you technically feel fine-but try and walk a few yards, and your breathing will get exceptionally heavy and raspy. (Think someone having a very severe asthma issue).

It doesn't sound like Ryan had it. But again, it can manifest in weird ways (someone I know who is currently in hospital recovering from the virus, had gastric symptoms first. He thought he had eaten something that didn't agree with him. When he went to his GP to get tested, the first test came back negative. So his GP sent him into hospital for more tests. They did a second Corona test, and that came back positive.).

Idris Elba, for example, got headaches and a fever. So again, the virus can be odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

How are TV licence inspectors supposed to be peeping toms with all this social distancing going on ?
    I'd say this and future pandemics are the perfect excuse to scrap this license racketeering .
    RTE is no different from a heavy muscling in on dance halls in Tramore or Blackpool. "Its gonna be our vending machines there or else"

How are TV licence inspectors supposed to be peeping toms with all this social distancing going on ?
    I'd say this and future pandemics are the perfect excuse to scrap this license racketeering .
    RTE is no different from a heavy muscling in on dance halls in Tramore or Blackpool. "Its gonna be our vending machines there or else"

This discussion has plenty of times

The license should stay, RTÉ should reform as part of it

I don’t care if you come back with I only watch YouTube or Netflix. Fact is Ireland needs a national broadcaster.....they just need one which is run properly and the requirement for entry is not your related to someone already in RTÉ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's really not.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    This discussion has plenty of times

The license should stay, RTÉ should reform as part of it

I don’t care if you come back with I only watch YouTube or Netflix. Fact is Ireland needs a national broadcaster.....they just need one which is run properly and the requirement for entry is not your related to someone already in RTÉ

What a coincidence. I don't care about your less valid viewpoint either. I'm not advocating stealing from people's wagepackets so I'm quite happy to.retain.the high moral ground.
    Ireland existed before and will continue to exist after the existence of rte. rte is unreformable. And since it's full of good Europeans then anything national should be abhorrent to them regardless

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Tubs had nothing and I called it when it came out, just a bit of publicity for RTE.....

It would be a huge risk for these high profile folk like Byrne, Tubs, Mary Lou, Elba etc to claim they had CV19 just to garner sympathy, and more importantly, publicity.

Tubs did stand up at the start of the LLS last week and give a speech about how well he was looked after, and he did say he had tested positive. Byrne did the same.

If they were caught out as faking it, they would get slaughtered and potentially lose their careers once the social media mob got on their case.

it's really not.

its heavys muscling in on private TV ownership. Its their TV now even if you paid for it with money already taxed and you have to rent it from them or go to jail.

It would be a huge risk for these high profile folk like Byrne, Tubs, Mary Lou, Elba etc to claim they had CV19 just to garner sympathy, and more importantly, publicity.

Tubs did stand up at the start of the LLS last week and give a speech about how well he was looked after, and he did say he had tested positive. Byrne did the same.

If they were caught out as faking it, they would get slaughtered and potentially lose their careers once the social media mob got on their case.

It was a running joke about Charlie Bird claiming to report from sites of skirmishes, while reporting from a fancy hotel.
    Or like when he went to Alaska, but only went a mile each way, outside of his campsite.

Folks called him out on it for years, he kept working until retirement.

What a coincidence. I don't care about your less valid viewpoint either. I'm not advocating stealing from people's wagepackets so I'm quite happy to.retain.the high moral ground.
    Ireland existed before and will continue to exist after the existence of rte. rte is unreformable. And since it's full of good Europeans then anything national should be abhorrent to them regardless

We are in Europe, so yes I agree, Ireland is full of Europeans :P:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

its heavys muscling in on private TV ownership. Its their TV now even if you paid for it with money already taxed and you have to rent it from them or go to jail.

It's all covered in legislation good and proper.

It's your TV whether you paid for it or got it for free.

You can't go to jail for not having a licence.

elperello wrote: »

So if it is MY CAR I don't need to tax it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

So if it is MY CAR I don't need to tax it ?

If you have a car that's not the subject of a declaration of non use you certainly do need to tax it.

What's that got to do with the TV licence?

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »

you can go to jail for not having a license while having a TV.
    it happens regularly.

Advertisement