Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

you can go to jail for not having a license while having a TV.
    it happens regularly.

No you can't.

The maximum penalty for a first offence is a €1000 fine. €2000 for a second offence.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

It was a running joke about Charlie Bird claiming to report from sites of skirmishes, while reporting from a fancy hotel.
    Or like when he went to Alaska, but only went a mile each way, outside of his campsite.

Folks called him out on it for years, he kept working until retirement.
    Ah but shur didn't he paddle up the amazon after that risking his life and health. Please leave Charlie the explorer alone didn't he grow a beard an all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Ah but shur didn't he paddle up the amazon after that risking his life and health. Please leave Charlie the explorer alone didn't he grow a beard an all

We sure that wasn't the Shannon? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

[HTML][/HTML]
    elperello wrote: »
    No you can't.

The maximum penalty for a first offence is a €1000 fine. €2000 for a second offence.

keep drinking the Kool-Aid bruh

https://www.her.ie/life/dublin-mum-terrified-as-she-gets-prison-time-for-failing-to-pay-tv-license-279883
    Dublin Mum "Terrified" As She Gets Prison Time For Failing To Pay TV License4 years ago
    Dublin Mum "Terrified" As She Gets Prison Time For Failing To Pay TV License

We sure that wasn't the Shannon? :P

Not likely... Charlie and his entourage were staying in a 5 star Lodge on the banks of the Amazon though iv heard people around these parts swear it was filmed on the the Suilin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

No you can't.

411 people beg to differ

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/411-people-jailed-last-year-for-not-paying-their-tv-licence-30235625.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I'm assuming many will now stop paying the license to fund the Montrose millionaire madness, when many are struggling, they dont need tubridy talking about ," the pain" while he is laughing all the way to the bank ...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

you can go to jail for not having a license while having a TV.
    it happens regularly.
    Don't believe what you read on Facebook or WhatsApp.

Shefwedfan wrote: »

A quick read of those links shows clearly that the sentences were imposed by the Court for non payment of fines.

If a person convicted in court for possessing a TV without a licence fails to pay the fine imposed they may end up being committed to prison.

This is standard procedure for non compliance with the order of a court and is a separate matter to the original offence.

Courts must uphold the law by ensuring that their orders are complied with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

How many times do we need to go over that argument?

It's ridiculous. It's entirely related to the original offence, end of story.

• Advertisement

A quick read of those links shows clearly that the sentences were imposed by the Court for non payment of fines.

If a person convicted in court for possessing a TV without a licence fails to pay the fine imposed they may end up being committed to prison.

This is standard procedure for non compliance with the order of a court and is a separate matter to the original offence.

Courts must uphold the law by ensuring that their orders are complied with.

If they bought a tv license would they end up in jail? the answer is no

Do somethign which is very rare on boards, admit you are wrong and move on

ligerdub wrote: »
    How many times do we need to go over that argument?

It's ridiculous. It's entirely related to the original offence, end of story.

The original offence does not carry the penalty of a custodial sentence, end of story.
    If they bought a tv license would they end up in jail? the answer is no

Do somethign which is very rare on boards, admit you are wrong and move on

I'm sorry but I can't admit I'm wrong when I'm right.

Your own links prove it is you that is wrong.

No problem moving on while maintaining my position.

The original offence does not carry the penalty of a custodial sentence, end of story.

I'm sorry but I can't admit I'm wrong when I'm right.

Your own links prove it is you that is wrong.

No problem moving on while maintaining my position.

:P

The fine was because of no TV license....

It was a silly statement and bad advice to start with, the fact you can't admit it is nothing new on boards.....anyway no point responding anymore.

My main problem with the license is its a tax paid out of my already taxed income.

In many other countries its paid from regular taxation. Remove the cost of collecting the fee which alone costs about a million, and just take it from peoples income tax.

Obvious solution to me.

My main problem with the license is its a tax paid out of my already taxed income.

In many other countries its paid from regular taxation. Remove the cost of collecting the fee which alone costs about a million, and just take it from peoples income tax.

Obvious solution to me.

Based on this website very few dont have a tv license: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence

RTE want its just taken out of your wages as a tax so you dont get the chance to not buy it.....thats why people are in uproar.....

My point is take it out, but before they get to that they need to change RTE from the top down

Based on this website very few dont have a tv license: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence

RTE want its just taken out of your wages as a tax so you dont get the chance to not buy it.....thats why people are in uproar.....

My point is take it out, but before they get to that they need to change RTE from the top down

Despite our earlier disagreement this is where we might find some common ground.

I have suggested funding Public Service Broadcasting from general taxation several times on this and other threads.

Following the report of the proposed Broadcasting Commission we should see some progress towards agreement on the future of RTE. Hopefully the funding will be direct rather than the earlier device based tax proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Despite our earlier disagreement this is where we might find some common ground.

I have suggested funding Public Service Broadcasting from general taxation several times on this and other threads.

Following the report of the proposed Broadcasting Commission we should see some progress towards agreement on the future of RTE. Hopefully the funding will be direct rather than the earlier device based tax proposal.

general taxation? LOL! Theyll have double the staff and pay in a few years! I have a simpler solution, they live within their means, dream up better programing, better RTE player, charge for access outside of here, we have a massive diaspora, why arent they doing that?

Lord above Mary o rourke on desert Island discs with Des Cahill there. Could they not think of someone else just for a change like

Idbatterim wrote: »
    general taxation? LOL! Theyll have double the staff and pay in a few years! I have a simpler solution, they live within their means, dream up better programing, better RTE player, charge for access outside of here, we have a massive diaspora, why arent they doing that?

General taxation means everyone makes a contribution, no collection costs, no evasion and no more court cases.

If what you fear comes true and the good things you suggest don't happen then the Commission will be a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

general taxation? LOL! Theyll have double the staff and pay in a few years!

no they won't.
    engaging in hyperbolic nonsense isn't going to help your attempted arguments.
    I have a simpler solution, they live within their means, dream up better programing, better RTE player, charge for access outside of here, we have a massive diaspora, why arent they doing that?

as we discussed already, if you want them to live within their means then i'm afraid that more then likely means doing more of the things that by the looks of it, we almost all agree on this thread they shouldn't be doing. more entertainment and commercial fluff as that brings in the revenue and is cheap to make.
    dream up better programming? well yeah, we already know this and so do they, but what better programming given different people seem to want different things.
    charging for access outside of here would i suspect be pointless tbh. i can't imagine that it would actually bring in much, as regardless of how good the content may be in the future, i can't imagine very many are going to pay for something that has always been free to air.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

It’s called a VPN, do you think people on boards in Ireland are the only ones that know you can use a vpn to watch programs in another country?

But apart from that, what’s your plan? Reduce the tv license here and expect people overseas to keep RTÉ afloat and we just watch it for free?

Taking the license direct from source would reduce a lot of the overheads. Plus it would stop all the f**min around in courts over fines etc.

As I said this would be all based on a review of RTÉ, give it a 4 year start and if they make a mess the revert....RTÉ is required, simple as that. Some section of it are not but that would be part of the review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Obvious solution to me.
    And look who thanked this post. Surprise, surprise.
    This is exactly what RTE wants, as it would provide them with an open cheque book. Irrespective of their protestations that checks and balance will be put in place, RTE will rape the country even further in order to keep the lifestyles of their management, stars, and staff at the highest level.
    RTE are not our national broadcaster, as they do not present the views of the majority. They are a national disgrace due to the partial and biased reporting and pontifications on their news and current affairs programs.

The first week when Covid hit Ireland; the second item usually on their reports was the impending explosion of deaths in Direct Provision centres all around the country. Not a word from them about nursing homes or care centres where vulnerable people were at high risk ...... which was already evident from Italian and Spanish reports.
    Nope, asylum seekers and Direct Provision centres were RTE's primary concern. Why is the RTE Investigates crack team not investigating the failures by government and the HSE to protect our older citizens in nursing homes?
    Too busy I presume researching non-existent or self-imposed problems within the Traveling community.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Kivaro wrote: »
    This is exactly what RTE wants, as it would provide them with an open cheque book. Irrespective of their protestations that checks and balance will be put in place, RTE will rape the country even further in order to keep the lifestyles of their management, stars, and staff at the highest level.
    RTE are not our national broadcaster, as they do not present the views of the majority. They are a national disgrace due to the partial and biased reporting and pontifications on their news and current affairs programs.

The first week when Covid hit Ireland; the second item usually on their reports was the impending explosion of deaths in Direct Provision centres all around the country. Not a word from them about nursing homes or care centres where vulnerable people were at high risk ...... which was already evident from Italian and Spanish reports.
    Nope, asylum seekers and Direct Provision centres were RTE's primary concern. Why is the RTE Investigates crack team not investigating the failures by government and the HSE to protect our older citizens in nursing homes?
    Too busy I presume researching non-existent or self-imposed problems within the Traveling community.

it is not rte's job to present the views of the majority or the minority, it's their job to report the facts and they do.
    you need to accept that there is little demand for a propaganda machine to parrot your views.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

It's quite obvious why I thanked that post.
    The posters views more or less coincide with my own.

Direct funding from general taxation doesn't need to be an open cheque book if the proper structures are put in place.

We can't afford to be paralysed by fear of failure or continue to be prisoners of past mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Any idea how much news readers get paid? Dobbo and Perry for example.

Any idea how much news readers get paid? Dobbo and Perry for example.

In 2018, Bryan was earning over 198,000 euros per year. Sharon Ni Bheolain was (allegedly) earning about 118 000 to 138 000 euros per year.

Considering they're no longer on the 6 O'Clock news, they 'might' have taken a pay cut. ('Hardly bloody likely' I hear you shout).

In 2018, Bryan was earning over 198,000 euros per year. Sharon Ni Bheolain was (allegedly) earning about 118 000 to 138 000 euros per year.

Considering they're no longer on the 6 O'Clock news, they 'might' have taken a pay cut. ('Hardly bloody likely' I hear you shout).

maybe they do more behind the screen stuff that i dont know about, research, other shows, etc. But reading news, its the equivalent of painting by numbers. if you're eloquent you can do it. i'm sure theres a plethora of suitable people who would happily read a teleprompter for 50k a year. some nice savings right off the bat.

maybe they do more behind the screen stuff that i dont know about, research, other shows, etc. But reading news, its the equivalent of painting by numbers. if you're eloquent you can do it. i'm sure theres a plethora of suitable people who would happily read a teleprompter for 50k a year. some nice savings right off the bat.

Most of the highly trained people are behind the scenes, operating the teleprompter.
    Had a discussion with an acquaintance about that before. Friend of his had a Masters, studied hard-got herself a job in RTE.
    Instead of being in front of the camera, she was monitoring the teleprompter so it didn't scroll by too fast.

She was married, and decided to start a family. Quit working at RTE and went into PR or training instead, after she was done with maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The week before "Covid hit Ireland" Joe Duffy had a lad on who wanted all the rugby flights from Italy cancelled. Joe scoffed at him. "we're an Island. It can't come here" or words to that effect.

A few days later he told another guest, "Even if it does come, it won't kill us." His exact words.

THis is while people were dying in their hundreds in other countries. He entertained people who wanted to visit nursing homes and maternity wards and a couple in their 80s her and 90s him who wanted to go out and admire the daffodils.

They had travellers on Drivetime today complaining cos they can't isolate. THey want free mental health care and helplines. And loads of other stuff

Two examples of travellers trying to isolate. Both seen with my own eyes.

Tuesday (children's allowance day) 5 adults and up to 8 children having a house party. Guards had to come and send most of them home.

Today as I waited in the car for my wife I watched 2 vans and a car come into the three disabled spaces in Aldi. The women queued while the lads stood around throwing fag butts and spitting on the ground till it was time to go in. Then they pulled the kids out of the wagons and brought all them in as well.

Social isolation was the last thing on their minds. Yet RTE tell us travellers are having trouble self Isolating.

Bit Of balance would be nice instead of painting them as victims.

• Advertisement

Most of the highly trained people are behind the scenes, operating the teleprompter.
    Had a discussion with an acquaintance about that before. Friend of his had a Masters, studied hard-got herself a job in RTE.
    Instead of being in front of the camera, she was monitoring the teleprompter so it didn't scroll by too fast.

She was married, and decided to start a family. Quit working at RTE and went into PR or training instead, after she was done with maternity leave.

i think those things dont qualify you for reading the news unfortunately. you dont need to be technically proficient in anything - not slighting your friend in any way here.

its a pretty simple requirement, be literate and eloquent.

having said that, they do do occasional interviews in the studio, so more to it than i first mentioned above. but not 198k or whatever more.

Advertisement