Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

i think those things dont qualify you for reading the news unfortunately. you dont need to be technically proficient in anything - not slighting your friend in any way here.

its a pretty simple requirement, be literate and eloquent.

having said that, they do do occasional interviews in the studio, so more to it than i first mentioned above. but not 198k or whatever more.

That is true-but then again, Keelin Shanley was very intelligent too. Took the job seriously, without taking herself seriously.

(This person wasn't a friend of mine-she was a friend of an acquaintance.I know 'friend of a friend' sounds odd, but I never met the person they were discussing).

I agree that 'technically' they don't qualify you for anything. Some people have that 'spark' that makes them warm and amiable to the viewer. They connect, without being condescending or insulting.
    It's a rare quality that few people possess.

As long as Sharon Ni Bheolain never does an interview, that would be great. She can be condescending as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,476 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

sligojoek wrote: »
    The week before "Covid hit Ireland" Joe Duffy had a lad on who wanted all the rugby flights from Italy cancelled. Joe scoffed at him. "we're an Island. It can't come here" or words to that effect.

A few days later he told another guest, "Even if it does come, it won't kill us." His exact words.

THis is while people were dying in their hundreds in other countries. He entertained people who wanted to visit nursing homes and maternity wards and a couple in their 80s her and 90s him who wanted to go out and admire the daffodils.

They had travellers on Drivetime today complaining cos they can't isolate. THey want free mental health care and helplines. And loads of other stuff

Two examples of travellers trying to isolate. Both seen with my own eyes.

Tuesday (children's allowance day) 5 adults and up to 8 children having a house party. Guards had to come and send most of them home.

Today as I waited in the car for my wife I watched 2 vans and a car come into the three disabled spaces in Aldi. The women queued while the lads stood around throwing fag butts and spitting on the ground till it was time to go in. Then they pulled the kids out of the wagons and brought all them in as well.

Social isolation was the last thing on their minds. Yet RTE tell us travellers are having trouble self Isolating.

Bit Of balance would be nice instead of painting them as victims.

How these people get away with what they get away with never ceases to amaze me.

Unbelievable.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭uptherebels

no they won't.
    engaging in hyperbolic nonsense isn't going to help your attempted arguments.

Utter nonsense. If they are unwilling/unable to live within their means now, why would they suddenly start doing so when they get an increase in guaranteed revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

sligojoek wrote: »
    The week before "Covid hit Ireland" Joe Duffy had a lad on who wanted all the rugby flights from Italy cancelled. Joe scoffed at him. "we're an Island. It can't come here" or words to that effect.

A few days later he told another guest, "Even if it does come, it won't kill us." His exact words.

THis is while people were dying in their hundreds in other countries. He entertained people who wanted to visit nursing homes and maternity wards and a couple in their 80s her and 90s him who wanted to go out and admire the daffodils.

They had travellers on Drivetime today complaining cos they can't isolate. THey want free mental health care and helplines. And loads of other stuff

Two examples of travellers trying to isolate. Both seen with my own eyes.

Tuesday (children's allowance day) 5 adults and up to 8 children having a house party. Guards had to come and send most of them home.

Today as I waited in the car for my wife I watched 2 vans and a car come into the three disabled spaces in Aldi. The women queued while the lads stood around throwing fag butts and spitting on the ground till it was time to go in. Then they pulled the kids out of the wagons and brought all them in as well.

Social isolation was the last thing on their minds. Yet RTE tell us travellers are having trouble self Isolating.

Bit Of balance would be nice instead of painting them as victims.

Heard that interview on drive time yesterday. Especially when one of the ladies said she had bad lungs on account of all the cigarettes she smoked and the interviewer jumped in with "but you'd have bad lungs anyway" or something yo that effect. Talk about prompting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Most of the highly trained people are behind the scenes, operating the teleprompter.
    Had a discussion with an acquaintance about that before. Friend of his had a Masters, studied hard-got herself a job in RTE.
    Instead of being in front of the camera, she was monitoring the teleprompter so it didn't scroll by too fast.

She was married, and decided to start a family. Quit working at RTE and went into PR or training instead, after she was done with maternity leave.

Just because she has a Masters doesn't mean she is anyway good on the TV

Same as just because Lottie Ryan is the daughter of Gerry Ryan doesn't mean she is any good either on radio/tv.....

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Same as just because Lottie Ryan is the daughter of Gerry Ryan doesn't mean she is any good either on radio/tv.....

Ah now, you're talking Eugenics with Lottie...

That's an entirely different thread there. :D (Just kidding, don't ban me mods).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Shefwedfan wrote: »

But does she know how a TelePrompTer works?

Elmo wrote: »
    But does she know how a TelePrompTer works?

She does all the scrolling on her smartphone herself.
    Ya know, when she's looking at the entertainment section... that everyone already knows from hours earlier.

She's more redundant than the angelus at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

How these people get away with what they get away with never ceases to amaze me.

Unbelievable.....
    They do it, and do it repeatedly, and get away with it because there are no negative consequences for this type of behaviour at RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

RTÉ to avail of government's wage subsidy scheme

What the actual fúck....
    As someone in the journal comments says, "Now the taxpayer gets to subside Ray D’arcy’s 450k annual salary not once but twice!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

retalivity wrote: »
    RTÉ to avail of government's wage subsidy scheme

What the actual fúck....
    As someone in the journal coments says, "Now the taxpayer gets to subside Ray D’arcy’s 450k annual salary not once but twice!"

1800 staff - I thought they had cut the jobs down to about 1800
    Something doesn't add up plus what happened to all the pay cuts or have they been put on hold like all their other cost cutting exercises
    Thieving b*stards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Honestly how do we go about stopping this absolute **** show? Genuine question? I do not want to fund Darcy/Tubridys absolutely ridiculous pay packet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Have you ever heard so much absolute sh1te;
    Trends in TV licence fee payments have also emerged, with Drivetime hearing that people are not able to get to the post office to pay their licence fee.

This is a very convenient way for RTÉ to give up to 1,800 staff a few weeks off, courtesy of the tax payer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

fritzelly wrote: »
    what happened to all the pay cuts

They'll temporarily cut a lot of wages to €78,000 two they can put those staff on the wage subsidy scheme.

(salaries below €78,000 being the cut off point RTÉ claim will be put on the scheme)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Tubs, D'Arcy etc are contractors so aren't covered...which actuall leads to the opportunity to tell contractors that their fee is capped at 50k pro rata pa until crisis is over...and not just the pandemic crisis...the crisis of their never ending waste of money.

Yeah... that's definitely going to happen!

Kivaro wrote: »
    They do it, and do it repeatedly, and get away with it because there are no negative consequences for this type of behaviour at RTE.

There's no-one to stand up to Dee, so of course they'll keep doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I mentioned somewhere on here that Devious Dee would try to take advantage of the pandemic in order to get more tax payer funding to maintain the exuberant/exorbitant salaries of RTE's management, stars, and 70+ managers. And of course Ryan Tubridy needs his €1/2 million per year sustained at any cost.

Now is the time to reshape the RTE quango into a true national broadcaster. Cut staff and management numbers to reflect the seriousness of the times. Make them accountable for their actions and put a new ethos in place where RTE's purpose is to serve the people ....... and not the other way round.

Businesses going under, many family owned, and yet they'll get no help from the government when it comes to staying open.

But RTE... oh yeah, that's VITAL!!! (No it isn't)

This is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

FG need to get a f**king handle on this now

If they have no money dump that waste of space radio 2FM

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought for an employee to avail of this government percentage of their wages, they had to be actually laid off work due to the pandemic?

Can you still continue to work for rte while rte ask the government to pay 80% of your normal wage?

If it's the former, then we should be seeing loads of lay-offs soon?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought for an employee to avail of this government percentage of their wages, they had to be actually laid off work due to the pandemic?

Can you still continue to work for rte while rte ask the government to pay 80% of your normal wage?

Well, we know Sean O'Rourke is stepping down soon. Wonder if he will benefit from this?

As for the rest-you might see some who's contracts are changed to 'freelance'... even if they're about as freelance as Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Yeah... that's definitely going to happen!

Yeah some management Dude in RTE who AGREED these obscene wages is now going to say these guys is worth only 50K pa ?

An if they only worth 50k pa ...what is HE worth ?...mwha ha ha ?

Croc o sh1te ....wha ???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If you retain employees the government will subsidise the wage if you turnover is down by at least 25% (iirc)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Tubs, D'Arcy etc are contractors so aren't covered...which actually leads to the opportunity to tell contractors that their fee is capped at 50k pro rata pa until crisis is over...and not just the pandemic crisis...the crisis of their never ending waste of money.

Sorry we don't need contractors anymore. We have more than enough staff to keep the thing going on an even keel for a while. Loads of lads AND LADIES in the sports dept at a loose end. We'll give ye a shout in a couple of years if we need ye.

Here's the BBC and CNN's numbers if ye need a start,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And not a mention of it on the rte website.

Not surprising i suppose.

But it is news in the country, when the state broadcaster is asking the tax payers to subsidise their staff's wages, again.

So they should have an article on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

And not a mention of it on the rte website.

Not surprising i suppose.

But it is news in the country, when the state broadcaster is asking the tax payers to subsidise their staff's wages, again.

So they should have an article on it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0422/1134170-rte-coronavirus/

Ingrid Miley report on p2 of other news.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,568 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps with Westlife cancelling their tour RTE could pay them eleventeen million for the rights to a live living room show, it could have Jake and Nathan Carter as support.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Should have happened years ago. But no.

Hope Duffy and D'arcy etc. realise this is REAL now.

elperello wrote: »

Okay, so first we were told that people weren't paying their license-so RTE were losing 60 million.
    Today on the news (Virgin MEdia 1, I tuned in) they said that people hadn't paid their tv license because, and I quote, 'they couldn't get to post office to pay it because of Covid'... Now this is complete f***ing horse s***. Those who can't get to the post office to pay the license are probably availing of a free license already (due to being retired and elderly, thus qualifiying for a free license).

For everyone else-the easiest way to pay the license fee is online.

Now, if they spun it in a more 'noble' way like 'People are losing their jobs and are unable to pay the fee'... I'd be sympathetic to the (propaganda) plight of RTE.

But it seems RTE have this 'phantom' 60 million euros from the license fee that they keep trying to 'recover'...
    Doesn't matter it doesn't exist, RTE HAVE to have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Noel Kelly is the prick that keeps these dopes in a job
    He is most of the problem
    https://www.nkmanagement.ie/talent.html#

Advertisement