Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Realisically why would you listen to on RTE anymore?

Gone for me last year or so, high salaries for doing feck all really, just look at D'arcy and Joe Duffy, honestly we are far too complacent regarding how our taxpayer money is going to support such idiots. Sorry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

How can we stop it ????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

How can we stop it ????

I'm with Ripley:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

elperello wrote: »

I'm just going to quote this section of sjk's post for you as you obviously missed it.
    sligojoek wrote: »
    The week before "Covid hit Ireland" Joe Duffy had a lad on who wanted all the rugby flights from Italy cancelled. Joe scoffed at him. "we're an Island. It can't come here" or words to that effect.

A few days later he told another guest, "Even if it does come, it won't kill us." His exact words.

Duffy was getting very close to village idiot territory here. Not only were these extremely stupid things to say, they were dangerous and misleading observations.
    Yet, your Dee sees fit to pay him north of 400k pa for approx 10 hours p/w- approx 40 weeks pa - in case the BBC snaps him up!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Noel Kelly is the prick that keeps these dopes in a job
    He is most of the problem
    https://www.nkmanagement.ie/talent.html#

Never knew about this guy, but if he's collecting 10% fee as agent to all those, he is coining it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    I'm just going to quote this section of sjk's post for you as you obviously missed it.

Duffy was getting very close to village idiot territory here. Not only were these extremely stupid things to say, they were dangerous and misleading observations.
    Yet, your Dee sees fit to pay him north of 400k pa for approx 10 hours p/w- approx 40 weeks pa - in case the BBC snaps him up!

It’s been a long time since Mr. Duffy worked 10 hours in one week, unless you count the book publicity tour he went in publicising his children’s death fetish vanity projects as work across almost every TV and Radio show on RTE. Knowing RTE he was probably allowed bill them for his time when he appeared as a guest on these shows too.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Never knew about this guy, but if he's collecting 10% fee as agent to all those, he is coining it in.

It’ll be a quantum amount above 10%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Fair f**ks to him

He must be very very ery very very good at his job to keep that shower on the TV:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭bigroad

Backhanders more like and free trips out to the villa in Spain or Italy.

bigroad wrote: »
    Backhanders more like and free trips out to the villa in Spain or Italy.

And knowing where the bodies are buried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »

I didn't miss Sligo Joe's post at all.

I just posted a link to a news item with the factual comment that it was on page 2 of "other news".

She is not my Dee :).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Noel Kelly is the prick that keeps these dopes in a job
    He is most of the problem
    https://www.nkmanagement.ie/talent.html#

Showbiz without agents would be a novel approach.

I wouldn't miss it at all if RTE became defunct.

What do they do that is public broadcasting anyway? The news and current affairs. OK two hours per day rinse and repeat, have someone on standby for breaking news.

Honestly other than the vital information, the rest of it is garbage.

What do they do that is public broadcasting anyway? The news and current affairs. OK two hours per day rinse and repeat, have someone on standby for breaking news.

I am no RTE fan but they do a lot more than that.....

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Like what?

Shows bought in by media firms, house and architecture, travel, keep fit, fat shaming, diets, so called celebrity ****e, what exactly?

Nothing like the Beeb anyway, bad and all as that can be too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That is true , but they spend huge money of stuff they shouldn't be spending it on.

As a state funded channel , they should not be spending money buying in overseas sitcoms and dramas to show as re-runs - Total waste of money.

For anyone that doesn't currently have access to "other channels" the government could install a satellite dish and give them all a tuner box as a once off for free and still save money.

Limit RTE to news , FTA sport (not paying for Premiership or Champions league etc.) , current affairs and local interest programming .

The latest episode of Eastenders or NCIS: Somewhere or other should not be what they are wasting their money on.

Like what?

Shows bought in by media firms, house and architecture, travel, keep fit, fat shaming, diets, so called celebrity ****e, what exactly?

Nothing like the Beeb anyway, bad and all as that can be too.

They have farming shows, etc....not going into a full breakdown of every tv station.....

The grass is not always greener on the other side.....

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    That is true , but they spend huge money of stuff they shouldn't be spending it on.

As a state funded channel , they should not be spending money buying in overseas sitcoms and dramas to show as re-runs - Total waste of money.

For anyone that doesn't currently have access to "other channels" the government could install a satellite dish and give them all a tuner box as a once off for free and still save money.

Limit RTE to news , FTA sport (not paying for Premiership or Champions league etc.) , current affairs and local interest programming .

The latest episode of Eastenders or NCIS: Somewhere or other should not be what they are wasting their money on.

Agree.

RTE is bleeding the taxpayer dry to pay for mediocre presenters and bought in cr"ap. That is not right anymore, if it ever was. :cool:

Agree.

RTE is bleeding the taxpayer dry to pay for mediocre presenters and bought in cr"ap. That is not right anymore, if it ever was. :cool:

160 quid a year is hardly bleeding the taxpayer dry

I have said all along it needs change etc, yes I agree the goernment should not be giving them money in this crisis but 160 quid is not expensive

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

160 quid a year is hardly bleeding the taxpayer dry

I have said all along it needs change etc, yes I agree the goernment should not be giving them money in this crisis but 160 quid is not expensive

I don't necessarily have an issue with how much money they get , but it's what they spend it on is the problem.

Some of their News/Current affairs stuff is excellent as are some of the local interest stuff.

But paying for re-runs of overseas shows or inflated salaries for on-screen "talent" is wasteful.

Leave them with the money , but sharply narrow the focus of what they can spend it on.

Drive up the quality of what they produce and cut out the wasteful repetitive crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And not a mention of it on the rte website.

Not surprising i suppose.

But it is news in the country, when the state broadcaster is asking the tax payers to subsidise their staff's wages, again.

So they should have an article on it.
    Actually, I heard it on the early RTE Radio 1 news this morning.
    And of course, as they described the reasons why RTE needed to avail of the government's wage subsidy scheme, they went to great pains at the end of the report to mention that the Trump golf resort in Doonbeg was also using the same program.

What a bunch of shysters to use a comparison like that.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I don't necessarily have an issue with how much money they get , but it's what they spend it on is the problem.

Some of their News/Current affairs stuff is excellent as are some of the local interest stuff.

But paying for re-runs of overseas shows or inflated salaries for on-screen "talent" is wasteful.

Leave them with the money , but sharply narrow the focus of what they can spend it on.

Drive up the quality of what they produce and cut out the wasteful repetitive crap.

I agree, the license is ok but the wastage in RTE is not getting value for money.....some of it is just a black hole

I still dont know how they manage to make RTE player so ****,....aprt from the ads which are clear as day, the actually program is then terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I can’t wait for 2021 when RTÉ will be desperate for a bailout for all the sports events they’ll need to cover that were due to take place in 2020 that they’ll not have budgeted for!!

But they should have extra money in the pot from not covering said events in 2020 I hear you say!!

Yeah well, operation Covid-Nation and the ensuing PR disaster won’t have been cheap, and that new daily show with Brendan Courtney!!! Yeah, there’s your Olympics budget gone right there....

You can be absolutely sure that RTÉ will try and wrangle at least a few million per year out of the Government over this (they already are ffs). It’ll be like treating gunshot wounds with bonjela & Micky Mouse plasters!

^^^^

This is the problem, they have to stop been bailed out or they will have a "problem" every year and more money will be pumped in,.

I have no idea what to do to stop it.....but they should not be given a penny of tax payer money during this crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

^^^^

This is the problem, they have to stop been bailed out or they will have a "problem" every year and more money will be pumped in,.

I have no idea what to do to stop it.....but they should not be given a penny of tax payer money during this crisis

Don't forget ANOTHER home chef type show, and ANOTHER property show.

Mark Moriarty is the new 'home chef' that RTE will try and push on people.

And then there's another property show, about buying a cheap house....

Yeah, property... that's what EVERYONE will want to buy in a an economy heading into another recession.
    But Dee minus will keep her job.

She can hide behind Covid.

Don't forget ANOTHER home chef type show, and ANOTHER property show.

Mark Moriarty is the new 'home chef' that RTE will try and push on people.

And then there's another property show, about buying a cheap house....

Yeah, property... that's what EVERYONE will want to buy in a an economy heading into another recession.
    But Dee minus will keep her job.

She can hide behind Covid.

Home cooking at the moment is big business across all channels. I dont watch but I can see the reason

The property shows? which one? I actually am getting old so I like to watch some of them once kids are down and you want TV that you dont have to think about :P

As I said, some of the content is good....but keeping RTE on stupid wages while the rest of the country suffers is terrible.

My wife was watching that Operation Transformation last night, now that is a absolute ball ofs**t,. I can't think of the female presentors name, but she must be paid by the word. People trying to talk and she just kept cutting them off mid sentance to tell about how she felt.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Home cooking at the moment is big business across all channels. I dont watch but I can see the reason

The property shows? which one? I actually am getting old so I like to watch some of them once kids are down and you want TV that you dont have to think about :P

As I said, some of the content is good....but keeping RTE on stupid wages while the rest of the country suffers is terrible.

My wife was watching that Operation Transformation last night, now that is a absolute ball ofs**t,. I can't think of the female presentors name, but she must be paid by the word. People trying to talk and she just kept cutting them off mid sentance to tell about how she felt.....

Yes, home cooking is decent... problem is RTE have a slew of home chefs.

We have Donal Skehan, Neven McGuire, Rachel Allen (which tend to be repeats nowadays, she mostly does VM1 and UK channels), Rory O'Connell (and occassionally his sister Darina Allen). That and repeats of 'healthy appetite', a show so sh**e, it got the nickname 'guess who's ruining the dinner'.
    Oh, and Lordds and Ladles... which will be repeated because corona.

RTE doesn't need another cooking show. Similarly, they don't need another property show. The new one is literally called 'Cheap Irish Homes'.
    RTE have way too many shows about property... from renovation, to building a house, to buying a house, to all the inbetweens.
    There are far too many.#

As for Kathryn Thomas-I think she is getting paid by the word. That's the only explanation for that Ghoulish show.
    (I'm not watching it-I hate Kathrynnow).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

RTE doesn't need another cooking show. Similarly, they don't need another property show. The new one is literally called 'Cheap Irish Homes'.
    RTE have way too many shows about property... from renovation, to building a house, to buying a house, to all the inbetweens.
    There are far too many.#

The problem (for us) is that these shows are very cheap to produce.

The cooking shows;

The cook/presenter.
    2 camera men/women
    Sound guy
    Producer

(of course with RTÉ there'd be at least another 15 people involved in post production)

Same goes for the property shows...

What gets me is the formulaic approach - I would especially single out the fifteen to twenty minutes of collected jottings and meandering, wandering verbal vomiting and diarrhoea that makes up the start of Ryan Tubridy and Ray D'Arcy's radio shows.

Committed to the airwaves with scarcely any breathing in, beating the drum of kindness, books, pals, messing, porridge, running, promoting their TV shows on Thursdays and Fridays (a bit in the past now as far as Ray is concerned, admittedly) or, on the following Mondays and Tuesdays, going back over their TV shows.

Between the pair of them, there's the thick end of a €1m a year - add Mr Duffy in, and it's €1.5m A year!

We have a lot to thank Noel Kelly for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We have to face facts folks, cooking shows are actually very popular.

The fact that they are also cheap to produce makes them great for the TV companies too.

Its not just RTE that are coming down with cooking programmes, every channel is the same.

Advertisement