Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

The problem (for us) is that these shows are very cheap to produce.

The cooking shows;

The cook/presenter.
    2 camera men/women
    Sound guy
    Producer

(of course with RTÉ there'd be at least another 15 people involved in post production)

Same goes for the property shows...

I can tell from experience* that for Home of The Year, they had 3 people on-site for the filming/direction. Then had the 3 judges. The filming team done a 12 hour shift (7-7) and the judges done roughly 10am - 7pm. That was for a single house as part of an episode. Times that *3 and you get a full episode. Times that by 7 and you get a full season (minus the final which was filmed in a single day also) and that gives you an idea of the amount of effort that goes into that type of show.

*neighbour was a contestant on the show

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I don't necessarily have an issue with how much money they get , but it's what they spend it on is the problem.

Some of their News/Current affairs stuff is excellent as are some of the local interest stuff.

But paying for re-runs of overseas shows or inflated salaries for on-screen "talent" is wasteful.

Leave them with the money , but sharply narrow the focus of what they can spend it on.

Drive up the quality of what they produce and cut out the wasteful repetitive crap.

Current affairs staff excellent? Dont name me laugh , if they had done a proper job reporting on the many faeces here, we would be in a better place. Why have rte never investigated the welfare state and abuse. It's common in other countries media. Why didn't they get the councils on when discussing the housing crisis , seeing they are the single biggest culprit in blocking development?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I can tell from experience* that for Home of The Year, they had 3 people on-site for the filming/direction. Then had the 3 judges. The filming team done a 12 hour shift (7-7) and the judges done roughly 10am - 7pm. That was for a single house as part of an episode. Times that *3 and you get a full episode. Times that by 7 and you get a full season (minus the final which was filmed in a single day also) and that gives you an idea of the amount of effort that goes into that type of show.

*neighbour was a contestant on the show

That's not an RTE produced shows though. That's a show made by a company and sold to RTE. They're going to be lean to maximise profits.

If RTE made that show there'd be 60 people involved, 50+ of them doing next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I've no interest in paying for something I don't believe in or use. Il be putting up a big electric gate with a tresspasser warning to keep them out permanently( oh and not subscribe to ntl or Sky)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yes, home cooking is decent... problem is RTE have a slew of home chefs.

We have Donal Skehan, Neven McGuire, Rachel Allen (which tend to be repeats nowadays, she mostly does VM1 and UK channels), Rory O'Connell (and occassionally his sister Darina Allen). That and repeats of 'healthy appetite', a show so sh**e, it got the nickname 'guess who's ruining the dinner'.
    Oh, and Lordds and Ladles... which will be repeated because corona.

RTE doesn't need another cooking show. Similarly, they don't need another property show. The new one is literally called 'Cheap Irish Homes'.
    RTE have way too many shows about property... from renovation, to building a house, to buying a house, to all the inbetweens.
    There are far too many.#

As for Kathryn Thomas-I think she is getting paid by the word. That's the only explanation for that Ghoulish show.
    (I'm not watching it-I hate Kathrynnow).
    \

No messing I will watch the "cheap irish homes" :p:p:p old age. The Misses likes to watch and then give me jobs if she see's something nice

• Advertisement

lomb wrote: »
    I've no interest in paying for something I don't believe in or use. Il be putting up a big electric gate with a tresspasser warning to keep them out permanently( oh and not subscribe to ntl or Sky)

Believe me, the big electric gate would cost you circa 20 years of the license fee just to buy the motors etc. Not even the big gate. SO maybe 30 years of the license fee

Doesn't really seem like a good financial option

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Now, I hate RTE as much as the next man, but, at this time I wouldn't actually begrudge RTE some assistance. And to be fair, the pandemic crisis does illustrate the value of public service broadcasting and to be fair, they have done an ok job of it.

That's not too give them a free pass though. Their current coverage hasn't been inquisitive enough at times and all too willing to accept the government line. This though isn't unique to RTE, as Irish journos are generally far too pally with those in power. And of course there is the fine line between being inquisitive and undermining the national effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Now, I hate RTE as much as the next man, but, at this time I wouldn't actually begrudge RTE some assistance. And to be fair, the pandemic crisis does illustrate the value of public service broadcasting and to be fair, they have done an ok job of it.

That's not too give them a free pass though. Their current coverage hasn't been inquisitive enough at times and all too willing to accept the government line. This though isn't unique to RTE, as Irish journos are generally far too pally with those in power. And of course there is the fine line between being inquisitive and undermining the national effort.

Fair point...but they should not get any assistance until they address the huge wedges being trousered by a small cohort of "top talent" as they call them.... and submit to a rigourous evaluation by an independant group of management consultants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

How many face masks would Ryan Tubridy's €1/2 million per year get us?
    And then add in the other RTE "stars" on lucrative 6 figure salaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

RTE should be based outside the M50 where its easier to access for the whole country. The Montrose site is worth billions and should be given over to social housing.
    A slimmed down modern studio on cheaper land outside the m50 or in a location which needs investment is the proper thing to do. Just like when building prisons etc. They could save a small town like e.g Moneygalls post office, Garda station or school just by being there. Dublin 4 doesn't need a taxpayer funded monstrosity to survive.

• Advertisement

Im 100% behind keeping RTE, keeping the TV license etc

But do we really need to be giving them stupid money. From the link, revenue is to drop 25-35% but the top exec take a 10% cut?? no numbers on what this 10% cut is or how much is lost on the 25-35%

Saying they are putting in a pay freeze?? like FFS really

Using 50% of leave, but that is paid leave so it doesn't really reduce cost

This seems like not really tackling the problem. More like trying to hide the underlying issues that existed before Covid.

RTE should be based outside the M50 where its easier to access for the whole country. The Montrose site is worth billions and should be given over to social housing.
    A slimmed down modern studio on cheaper land outside the m50 or in a location which needs investment is the proper thing to do. Just like when building prisons etc. They could save a small town like e.g Moneygalls post office, Garda station or school just by being there. Dublin 4 doesn't need a taxpayer funded monstrosity to survive.

Why social housing .? Why not affordable housing.?

Have an issue with social housing ....given the reported massive arrears in local authority rents and the extensive state funded help given to this cohort.

Nothing personal in this but I am concerned that we are heading for a divide between those that pay for everything and those who pay for very little.

And that is unsustainable in the long term.......

No messing, sat down after putting down kids and wife goes “rte have new house show I want to watch”

Take a guess what it is....you couldn’t make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

We watched Building Ireland last night.

It was excellent, really interesting and informative.

They followed it up with that rubbish from Catherine Fulvio.

I’m sure she’s a lovely person but the whole premise of her show is stupid.

Why social housing .? Why not affordable housing.?

Have an issue with social housing ....given the reported massive arrears in local authority rents and the extensive state funded help given to this cohort.

Nothing personal in this but I am concerned that we are heading for a divide between those that pay for everything and those who pay for very little.

And that is unsustainable in the long term.......

I find mentioning social housing tends to focus the minds of those living in that bubble who constantly have a bleeding heart and vote that way provided Anyone but them pays for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

One would expect that rte1 would be able to keep a Saturday sports of sorts going these days instead of some programme with wall to wall music. Iv been impressed by how the off the ball crew have kept going each evening with inventive programming on sports books, controversies, archives and interesting interviews, naming teams of the Premier era and such like.. Where are all the sports department gone? The only one I've heard on is Cahill and that 20 min desert island disc type programme with the usual suspects Mary o rourke, one of the Barry theatre family and one of the O Se's. The whole thing to me reeks of a "couldn't give a s**t attitude"

I find mentioning social housing tends to focus the minds of those living in that bubble who constantly have a bleeding heart and vote that way provided Anyone but them pays for it .

:confused:

:confused:

Look how bothered the idea made you.
    You'll guaranteed find any number of "experts" dismissing the idea of social housing or halting sites at Montrose if faced with it. The money in that neighborhood from residents groups will pay experts if barristers and such minded people from that area themselves don't act. It's time we had a halting site and a methadone clinic in Donnybrook instead of only paying lip service to diversity inside an exclusive nimby echo chamber :D
    RTE needs to jump before it is pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Even in normal times is it not a bit grim to be showing Casualty at 8am on a Sunday morning, followed by Holby City right after it at 8:50am, never mind in these times of Covid-19 with hospitals/sickness/death the only topic on the news every single day.

Look how bothered the idea made you.
    You'll guaranteed find any number of "experts" dismissing the idea of social housing or halting sites at Montrose if faced with it. The money in that neighborhood from residents groups will pay experts if barristers and such minded people from that area themselves don't act. It's time we had a halting site and a methadone clinic in Donnybrook instead of only paying lip service to diversity inside an exclusive nimby echo chamber :D
    RTE needs to jump before it is pushed.

You might need to stop describing anyone who disagrees with you as being bothered ?

Your initial post put forward the idea of turning over the Montrose site to Social Housing.

That could be up to 5k dwellings depending on density as the site is huge.

I am concerned that anybody would consider putting that number of Social Houses in the one site is a good idea...given the experiences of other large local authority and social housing schemes in our cities and towns.

I am on the side of the hard working young people who pay their taxes and seek to provide decent housing for themselves and their families without undue recourse to the State.

This is why I say "affordable" housing is at least as important as social housing although the leftie politicos with the bullhorns never seem to recognise this.

For myself I have no problem living in proximity to any class or colour as long as they behave reasonably in accordance with social norms.

Hardly too much to ask for is it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The rte site is getting about 600 apartments...

Idbatterim wrote: »

....and ? (waiting for the second shoe to drop)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Idbatterim wrote: »

That's only the small portion they sold - think it was about 15-20% of the whole site.
    If they sold the rest of the site and moved out of the m50, a whole new town could be built on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

retalivity wrote: »
    That's only the small portion they sold - think it was about 15-20% of the whole site.
    If they sold the rest of the site and moved out of the m50, a whole new town could be built on the site.
    The logical/environmental/fair-use of that site would be to dedicate it specifically to affordable housing for working/contributing people/families in that community and surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

I just cannot for the life of me understand what the line of thinking is in terms of scheduling at rte.
    Take the new drama show this week, normal people, seems to be a high quality production, great director, great reviews from the guardian etc...
    The BBC consider it so highly they schedule it for a Monday night double bill from 9 to 10, prime time, prime audience etc
    RTE deem it unworthy of such a high profile slot and shift it to a Tuesday night at 10:15 not finishing until 11:25
    Now I don't know about everyone but I would imagine that timeslot is simply too late to gain an audience it potentially could gain given a better timeslot, ie people are just gone to bed at that point.
    And what are they showing to prevent it being on earlier? More Primetime on rte1 cos we can never have enough primetime and god forbid they'd actually use a dedicated news channel for providing more news coverage and on rte 2, blue bloods.
    I just don't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

gooseman12 wrote: »
    I just cannot for the life of me understand what the line of thinking is in terms of scheduling at rte.
    Take the new drama show this week, normal people, seems to be a high quality production, great director, great reviews from the guardian etc...

All very true - peak time entertainment for RTE consists or Clair Byrne Live, Prime Time, RTE investigates, Crimecall, Operation Transformation (ugh)
    A trend of two hours of bad news pretty much Mon to Fri to sleep on, like you say most of those could be on the news channel which is just repeating the news ad nauseum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I note all the news readers, reporters and presenters look the same as always.

No grey roots, home cuts, scraggy hair. Everyone groomed to perfection. The full teams of beauticians, stylists, colourists, makeup artists are all deemed essential workers.

Guard: Where are you going?
    I'm on my way in to RTE to try make Marty Morrissy look good.
    Right, go on. God speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw RTE1 were showing Killinaskully last night at 8pm. The show was never funny, is I'm assuming around 10 years old at this atge and this, in 2020 is what RTE consider good prime time viewing on a Sunday night when the country is in lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Rose of Tralee cancelled so there's another few quid for RTÉ to spunk elsewhere......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw RTE1 were showing Killinaskully last night at 8pm. The show was never funny, is I'm assuming around 10 years old at this atge and this, in 2020 is what RTE consider good prime time viewing on a Sunday night when the country is in lockdown?

RTE have been advertising it for a while. I know folks who used to love that show.
    There were certain places in IReland where you'd meet pretty much every character in that show. I couldn't get into it, but I didn't hate it either.
    (It wasn't Mrs Browns boys, which I genuinely despise-yet I know people who love it).
    Rose of Tralee cancelled so there's another few quid for RTÉ to spunk elsewhere......

Ah nooo... sure how will millions of Irish people argue over 'Is there anything else on' or 'Can we not just watch Netflix instead?' this August?

And will there be an exception made for girls who are technically too old to be in the ROT after this year?

I suppose with all this testing going on, they couldnt' quite give an accurate answer on whether or not proper testing would be available to prevent the use of Performance Enhancing Rosary Beads.

PERBS were a real problem even as recently as 2 years ago.

Advertisement