Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Rose of Tralee cancelled so there's another few quid for RTÉ to spunk elsewhere......

Coming this summer:
    Joe Duffy's Guide to Ireland's Best Graveyards (whilst staying in 5 Star Hotels around the country)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Coming this summer:
    Joe Duffy's Guide to Ireland's Best Graveyards (whilst staying in 5 Star Hotels around the country)

Don't forget the 20 minute eulogy on his good friend Gerry Ryan.

Or the one hour special dedicated to Gay Byrne's grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Mr. Duffy retweeted this:
    https://twitter.com/BryanCranston/status/1254196639138340864?s=20

No doubt laughing and sneering at the stupidity of Trump.....whilst ignoring the fact he said that we're an island so the virus can't come here, AND even if it comes no-one will die from it.

Mr. Duffy thinks irony is something that is copper-coloured.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just been watching Normal People after hearing about it on Liveline - jaysus there is some real backward people still alive in Ireland if they take offence about seeing titties or a very vague shot of a willy
    Never expected to like it as not their demographic but have binge watched it and enjoyed it

BUT why does it take foreign TV companies to do Irish shows??? (Father Ted...)
    This could have been a blinder for RTE - it's getting rave review, would have been mass marketable or is it a little too risque for RTE?
    I expected some kind of RTE support message at the end of the episodes but seems they had nothing to do with it all

Screw supporting local enterprise unless it's bottom of the barrel, cheapest to make junk
    Instead lets remind people of one half decent program we made 20 years ago and just show that again (Bachelors Walk - used to live there)

fritzelly wrote: »
    Just been watching Normal People after hearing about it on Liveline - jaysus there is some real backward people still alive in Ireland if they take offence about seeing titties or a very vague shot of a willy
    Never expected to like it as not their demographic but have binge watched it and enjoyed it

BUT why does it take foreign TV companies to do Irish shows??? (Father Ted...)
    This could have been a blinder for RTE - it's getting rave review, would have been mass marketable or is it a little too risque for RTE?
    I expected some kind of RTE support message at the end of the episodes but seems they had nothing to do with it all

Screw supporting local enterprise unless it's bottom of the barrel, cheapest to make junk
    Instead lets remind people of one half decent program we made 20 years ago and just show that again (Bachelors Walk - used to live there)

I avoided it-the reviews I read were mixed. Some even had issues with the romance, and other's called it chick lit fantasy.

RTe, bizarrely, won't take a gamble on something unless it's co-financed by someone or some other production company. (Damo and Ivor was co-financed by Wesley Quirke's own company. Didn't stop him using funding money to pay his cousin a massive wage). Nowhere Fast was them thinking 'twitter follows/ insta follows' means audience.
    I doubt even ten percent of her follows on either platform tuned in to that show.

RTe, at the moment, don't want to offend. It's all 'safe' television-the few times they stray, they end up f**king up completely.
    They most definitely won't fund dramas-so instead we'll get another property or cookery show.
    Cheap to make.

• Advertisement

They most definitely won't fund dramas-so instead we'll get another property or cookery show.
    Cheap to make.

Exactly that!
    What was the last program they produced/financed (that didn't have ulterior motives for some) that was mass marketable
    The Beeb produce award winning material that is sold worldwide

PBS produce programs that are resold around the world

RTE is far too much a closeted cohort of a cartel with only one objective of protecting their own kind

Exactly that!
    What was the last program they produced/financed (that didn't have ulterior motives for some) that was mass marketable
    The Beeb produce award winning material that is sold worldwide

RTE is far too much a closeted cohort of a cartel with only one objective of protecting their own kind

This might sound like I'm supporting them, but far from it. But I've noticed the discerning opinion, the complete 'batcrap, insane' opinions are sort of 'barred' from Irish TV. Now, I in no way, support those insane opinions...
    But there was a time when someone like PAt Kenny would bring on that person, discuss and debate them, then slowly allow themselves to bury themselves. (Such as he allowed Justin Barrett to do, among others). He knew the best way to let these idiots destroy themselves was to bring them on tv... and destroy themselves.

Case in point-Gemma O'Doherty, or John Waters. You couldn't bring these two onto tv now, because the likes of Tubridy, or Claire Byrne, wouldn't just make them look good, they'd make them look like patriots. (And with Waters, you'd have to add a disclaimer 'No, this is not Covid-19 related hair care... he's always looked like this').
    And I think that's how they garnered any kind of celebrity (especially O'Doherty).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is the governmemt paying rte for the wall to wall adverts re: the coronavirus on the radio?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is the governmemt paying rte for the wall to wall adverts re: the coronavirus on the radio?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I see there was yet another Brendan Grace show on Rte last night. Fella has been on RTE more since he died than he was in the previous 10 years. RTE are a shambles. Bank Holiday Sunday prime time slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Has anyone seen an advert for a presenter position on rte?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen an advert for a presenter position on rte?

Never in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I see at least 4 new recent appointments on the news.
    Sharon Tobin
    Dyanne Conor
    Laura Hogan
    Brian o Donovan

I see at least 4 new recent appointments on the news.
    Sharon Tobin
    Dyanne Conor
    Laura Hogan
    Brian o Donovan

They've been there for awhile, definitely more than 5 years (each). Got poached from TV3/ VM1.

I noticed that RTE's killing off shows by showing them at later schedules. Killing Eve cost them a pretty penny, Season 3 will be shown at 11 pm at night.
    They widely heralded this last month when they got it.

Now it's moving to almost midnight... won't be long until it's shoved to the am.
    None of these shows are cheap to buy. They spent a lot of money on Mad Men, before, and then had to dump it into the early hours of the morning.

Why would rte put these shows on so late?

The BBC has been pushing the likes of Killing Eve and Normal People big time recently. They show these at prime time.

Yet rte don't. Ironically enough, it's usually so they can show us Prime Time, cos don't we need another special about CV19.

The BBC has been pushing the likes of Killing Eve and Normal People big time recently. They show these at prime time.

Yet rte don't. Ironically enough, it's usually so they can show us Prime Time, cos don't we need another special about CV19.

RTE don't do prime time entertainment, they do prime time depression, misery, murder, suicide. Their whole schedule is basically chat shows and some cheap tacky programs early in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

No. They'd rather show us another Francis Brennan, Daniel O Donnell, Neven Maguire, Carter family or Allen family show again and again.

RTE don't do prime time entertainment, they do prime time depression, misery, murder, suicide. Their whole schedule is basically chat shows and some cheap tacky programs early in the evening

Claire Byrne, a week or so ago, did a segment about how 'flammable' alcohol sanitizer is.
    Telling people to be safe with their hand sanitizer. Her demo was putting a good splodge of it into a bowl, then setting it on fire.:rolleyes:

71a482660d05fff17514f83e39373ef86d17bb28.jpg

I'm sorry, but at some point in time you have to just say, 'if they're dumb enough to set themselves on fire with hand sanitizer, then that's Natural Selection at work'.

The alcohol in hand sanitizer evaporates after about ten seconds or so after application to the skin. Whatever the point of the demo was, it was kind of stupid.

They say RTE can't do comedy-Claire Byrne's show, and Crimecall, are proof they actually can.... just unintentionally.

Just watching a repeat of the Late Late Leo interview from Friday.

One lad spends the week talking about jelly beans, books , kindness and how awful phones and the internet are. The other is working his hole off to try and get this crisis sorted. I say that as someone who has no time for FG. One makes 500,00 the other earns about half that.

Go figure

sligojoek wrote: »
    Just watching a repeat of the Late Late Leo interview from Friday.

One lad spends the week talking about jelly beans, books , kindness and how awful phones and the internet are. The other is working his hole off to try and get this crisis sorted. I say that as someone who has no time for FG. One makes 500,00 the other earns about half that.

Go figure

Tbf, their lax attitude, as well as the housing crisis, health crisis, and continual spending all the wrong areas didn't help this crisis any bit.

I've no time for either of them, but let's not put either one on a pedestal. They're as bad as one another-they've got no time for either of us.

• Advertisement

Tbf, their lax attitude, as well as the housing crisis, health crisis, and continual spending all the wrong areas didn't help this crisis any bit.

I've no time for either of them, but let's not put either one on a pedestal. They're as bad as one another-they've got no time for either of us.

As Joe Duffy would say, I know that, I know that. I'm not putting anyone on a pedestal.

The thing is, this is unprecedented. It was landed on Varadker and co's laps. They have to get on with it and see how it goes. Tubbs however will be laughing and "acting the maggot" all the way to the bank no matter what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

As Joe Duffy would say, I know that, I know that. I'm not putting anyone on a pedestal.

The thing is, this is unprecedented. It was landed on Varadker and co's laps. They have to get on with it and see how it goes. Tubbs however will be laughing and "acting the maggot" all the way to the bank no matter what happens.

Excellent post and very well put....good to see a non govt supporter giving SOME credit for the circs we find ourselves in and recognising the broader picture.

Such a difference to the usual cant from the lefties......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

There is only ONE tax I resent paying and that's the TV license: A service I do not use (I don't even have an antenna or use the app). I have used the national concert hall from time to time and paid 80 + for that each time. I listen to other, non-RTE radio stations (Rarely. For news). and I use the RTE new website which is riddled with adverts to support it.

I have no problem paying pretty much any other taxes as they apply to me. No problems with bins and I even paid water rates but I cannot see the justification for paying an additional 160 annual tax. They are at least partially supported by advertising and if this does not cover costs then reduce costs/restructure advertising revenue.

There is only ONE tax I resent paying and that's the TV license: A service I do not use (I don't even have an antenna or use the app). I have used the national concert hall from time to time and paid 80 + for that each time. I listen to other, non-RTE radio stations (Rarely. For news). and I use the RTE new website which is riddled with adverts to support it.

I have no problem paying pretty much any other taxes as they apply to me. No problems with bins and I even paid water rates but I cannot see the justification for paying an additional 160 annual tax. They are at least partially supported by advertising and if this does not cover costs then reduce costs/restructure advertising revenue.

They dropped the ball with this covid 19 crisis. Operation Covid-Nation (not using it's new names, it's still crap) has been like someone walking into your dining room, taking a massive poo on the carpet, and then being shocked you're angry they just did a s**t on the carpet.

KAthryn Thomas has been 'disappointed' at the low audience figures, and negative reaction to the show. So the analogy works.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They dropped the ball with this covid 19 crisis. Operation Covid-Nation (not using it's new names, it's still crap) has been like someone walking into your dining room, taking a massive poo on the carpet, and then being shocked you're angry they just did a s**t on the carpet.

KAthryn Thomas has been 'disappointed' at the low audience figures, and negative reaction to the show. So the analogy works.

If only Dee/Kathryn could let their true feelings be known to all of us ungrateful ba$tards for not fully appreciating the public service they are providing us during these difficult times.

Another thing that's pi$$ing me off lately with RTÉ News is the amount of reports coming in 'from location'!!

There was a story about football so the guy was doing his piece with Landsdowne Road in the back ground!! So thats at least 3-4 people (reporter, cameraman, sound guy, producer/union guy) on location, & either travelled there in the same van, or travelled there separately. Do they really need to do this? is it really that essential? Same goes for almost all trivial news reports coming in lately where the reporter is 'on location' where absolutely nothing is happening!! (apart from an RTÉ news team being there)

I have been wondering about those reporters being 'on location' of late.
    Do they get stopped by the Guards and asked where they are going I wonder.

"ah, I just have to go down and stand outside government buildings because I have to do a 2min piece to Eileen Whelan on the 9 o'clock news"

Same with Paul Reynolds. He does a lot of pieces outside Garda HQ in Phoenix park, even for the 9.00 TV news. Surely he could do that from home with a Garda logo on the wall behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Surely he could do that from home with a Garda logo on the wall behind him.

Just a blue screen, and they can superimpose whatever background they want behind them, like what they do in their Cork studio whenever Simon Coveney is being interviewed from there.

Just a blue screen, and they can superimpose whatever background they want behind them, like what they do in their Cork studio whenever Simon Coveney is being interviewed from there.

Knowing RTE, they'd mess that up.

We still haven't seen 'Burnt by the Sun' episode 2. The story they put out, weeks ago, was that the wrong file was sent due to remote working.

It's almost a month later, where the hell is part two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I’ve said it before but the standard of rte.ie is abysmal.

John Kilraine has written a short article about Dublin’s parks which contains 2 spelling mistakes.

How f*cking hard is it to spell check a piece of work?

Advertisement