Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I’ve said it before but the standard of rte.ie is abysmal.

John Kilraine has written a short article about Dublin’s parks which contains 2 spelling mistakes.

How f*cking hard is it to spell check a piece of work?

Oh I've practically stopped going to that site. People who are 'kind of a big deal' on twitter trying to raise their profile. (And then I click their name, and realise they've got less followers than me, and I'm nobody).

It's atrocious.

Oh Jesus... the typos on rte's page are getting worse than the Dailymail.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0505/1136575-virgin-atlantic-job-cuts/

(In case they have changed it in the meantime)
    Virgin Atlantic to cut 3,1500 jobs, stop using Gatwick

• Registered Users Posts: 19,476 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Oh I've practically stopped going to that site. People who are 'kind of a big deal' on twitter trying to raise their profile. (And then I click their name, and realise they've got less followers than me, and I'm nobody).

It's atrocious.

Oh Jesus... the typos on rte's page are getting worse than the Dailymail.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0505/1136575-virgin-atlantic-job-cuts/

(In case they have changed it in the meantime)

My bet is the younger brigade are running that site Rabble.

The .done.seen.quawter.larger.Chicargo brigade.

Standards have slipped big time, I’m afraid.

God be with the times every sixth class pupil could tell you what counties Ballygar or Kinnegad or Knockroghery were in .

Now...two chances.:D

God be with the times every sixth class pupil could tell you what counties Ballygar or Kinnegad or Knockroghery were in .

It's incompetence though. Every word processor has a spell checker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I’ve said it before but the standard of rte.ie is abysmal.

John Kilraine has written a short article about Dublin’s parks which contains 2 spelling mistakes.

How f*cking hard is it to spell check a piece of work?

When the Glasnevin memorial was vandalised a few months ago RTE had 'vandalized' in the caption on the 6.1 news. Corrected for the 9 oc news.

Then some cabbage sends in the vid he took of the wind blowing the artic over in a storm while filming the clip with his phone as he was driving.
    RTE showed the clip in full inc a lovely view of yer mans steering wheel on the 6.1
    By 9 the clip was shown zoomed in with no steering wheel in view.

It's incompetence though. Every word processor has a spell checker.

Not only spelling I fear RR, Mr G has taken “one hell of a beating” too.

The dones and seens, the lets and leaves, the wents and gones, those bad boys are like the auld C-19....taking over.....in control.

No turning back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I would be surprised if anything other than that were true. It's laden down with nonsense lowbrow articles and parroting typical in vogue issues for the youth, such as feminism, LGBT, climate change etc.

"Isn't Eoghan McDermott a great guy" type craic. Bore off RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

RTE player completely broke at the moment - our money well spent

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Their website is heavily padded too.

Stories are repeated in several places as you scroll down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

fritzelly wrote: »

Unfortunealy more than 50 people logged onto it and crippled the servers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Claire Byrne, a week or so ago, did a segment about how 'flammable' alcohol sanitizer is.
    Telling people to be safe with their hand sanitizer. Her demo was putting a good splodge of it into a bowl, then setting it on fire.:rolleyes:

They say RTE can't do comedy-Claire Byrne's show, and Crimecall, are proof they actually can.... just unintentionally.

I had to laugh at Claire Byrne getting a fireman into the studio to ignite a bowl of sanitiser, real comedy stuff. Crimecall also good for the comedy moments, can remember them showing CCTV of a woman stealing chocolate a few months back. Hardly crime of the century but for some reason they deemed it worthy of national tv
    Knowing RTE, they'd mess that up.

We still haven't seen 'Burnt by the Sun' episode 2. The story they put out, weeks ago, was that the wrong file was sent due to remote working.

It's almost a month later, where the hell is part two?

Was wondering that myself, they've left us hanging there by only showing half the program. Part 2 will probably eventually show up at 1 in the morning :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

And they’ve just saddled The Tonight Show with Stephen Colbert to it, no doubt costing a pretty penny.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Unfortunealy more than 50 people logged onto it and crippled the servers!!

50? It struggles at 2.

I think WWN said it best

https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2018/01/26/rte-player-down-after-9-people-attempt-to-stream-at-the-same-time/
    Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    When the Glasnevin memorial was vandalised a few months ago RTE had 'vandalized' in the caption on the 6.1 news. Corrected for the 9 oc news.

Then some cabbage sends in the vid he took of the wind blowing the artic over in a storm while filming the clip with his phone as he was driving.
    RTE showed the clip in full inc a lovely view of yer mans steering wheel on the 6.1
    By 9 the clip was shown zoomed in with no steering wheel in view.

Oh literacy skills among even grown adults are atrocious. It's not even word play either, it's not knowing. Some of it I think is down to people genuinely not even reading the news , or anything in general. I've sat with people who can't even read subtitles (not subtitled films, just 'later that day, somewhere downtown' kinda thing).

If only Dee/Kathryn could let their true feelings be known to all of us ungrateful ba$tards for not fully appreciating the public service they are providing us during these difficult times.

People can't go out, social gathering venues are completely closed, the only options available are television, Radio, the internet (which is kinda strangled at the moment), DVD's, Blu Rays or Netflix/ Disney + (or whatever streaming service you like) and podcasts.

And yet Kathryn can't get an audience.

You have to be failing pretty flipping hard to not be able to get an audience during a lock-down.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Can anybody provide any clarity on this .?

RTE Sports Dept...we are mow in an era where there is no popular live sport and most big sporting events cancelled.

This is the time when the GAA season would be cranking up and we would be at the sharp end of Rugby and Champions League competitions.

So what are all the sporties in RTE doing ? Sure ..I know a couple of them have mickey mouse music progs...but hey I think the license fee paying public need to hear what is happening here.

You read everywhere of people being furloughed....pay cuts....lay offs etc.

What is happening in RTE....pay cuts...enforced holidays ? Strange that no journos or politicos have asked questions on this one ...surely this should be asked if RTE are lobbying for a fee increase ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Oh literacy skills among even grown adults are atrocious. It's not even word play either, it's not knowing. Some of it I think is down to people genuinely not even reading the news , or anything in general. I've sat with people who can't even read subtitles (not subtitled films, just 'later that day, somewhere downtown' kinda thing).

Typos and basic errors have become more common in other print media also. You'll find them in The Independent and even The Irish Times at a frequency that you wouldn't have years ago.

In the Indo it's because they don't have nearly as many editors as they used to have. In the Irish Times it seems to be the work of interns and similar low-level staff that doesn't get adequately edited. The primary cause is cost-cutting removing quality-control rather than illiterate millennials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

RTE Sports Dept...we are mow in an era where there is no popular live sport and most big sporting events cancelled.

This is the time when the GAA season would be cranking up and we would be at the sharp end of Rugby and Champions League competitions.

So what are all the sporties in RTE doing ? Sure ..I know a couple of them have mickey mouse music progs...but hey I think the license fee paying public need to hear what is happening here.

What is happening in RTE....pay cuts...enforced holidays ? Strange that no journos or politicos have asked questions on this one ...surely this should be asked if RTE are lobbying for a fee increase ?

This was already discussed a few pages back

The consensus was they should be taking a pay cut in line with the advertisement reduction. Firing a load of staff and having to pay redundancy woudn't make sense. I doubt they have reduced pay, most are probably twiddling thumbs waiting for something to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

RTE aren't in the business of asking hard questions, especially ones that show themselves up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The Otb crew have kept the show on the road all week with interesting interviews, picking teams of an era, revisiting controversies, discussing sports books etc what do rte do? Martys desert Island discs with the usual suspects and music from Rickoshea on a Saturday. I expected better to be honest

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    This was already discussed a few pages back

The consensus was they should be taking a pay cut in line with the advertisement reduction. Firing a load of staff and having to pay redundancy woudn't make sense. I doubt they have reduced pay, most are probably twiddling thumbs waiting for something to happen

Like the time of a Stephensons Day when the place was ticking over to a medley of 4th tier staff and the station cat .........Then one of the biggest tsunamis in history hit the Phillippines.

Lookit ...there’s no news between Christmas week and the 8th of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Like the time of a Stephensons Day when the place was ticking over to a medley of 4th tier staff and the station cat .........Then one of the biggest tsunamis in history hit the Phillippines.

Lookit ...there’s no news between Christmas week and the 8th of January.

Osama Bin Laden's assasination was a better example - possibly the biggest story of the last decade happened on a Bank Holiday Weekend (Sunday night into Monday morning to be precise). It was first rumoured around 10pm UK time and confirmed before midnight on Sunday night. It was wall to wall coverage on Sky and BBC News throughout the night and pretty much every other channel interrupted normal programming to give some sort of announcement and further updates throughout the day (monday). The first mention of it on RTE TV? Six One News on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The first mention of it on RTE TV? Six One News on Monday.

What do you expect from the 'National Broadcaster' who's first live broadcast of the day is the 1pm news bulletin, a full 13 hours into the day.

Slate TV3/Virgin Media all we want (believe me, I'm no fan), but at least they are broadcasting live every morning from 7am (9am on weekends).

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

What do you expect from the 'National Broadcaster' who's first live broadcast of the day is the 1pm news bulletin, a full 13 hours into the day.

Slate TV3/Virgin Media all we want (believe me, I'm no fan), but at least they are broadcasting live every morning from 7am (9am on weekends).

That's the point - they didn't even have a 1pm news that day!

You'd think there would have been a mad scamble/all hands on deck to cover the OBL story, but no, we can't ask Dobbo or Sharon to come in earlier than 6pm on a BH Monday.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

That's the point - they didn't even have a 1pm news that day!

You'd think there would have been a mad scamble/all hands on deck to cover the OBL story, but no, we can't ask Dobbo or Sharon to come in earlier than 6pm on a BH Monday.......

Dobbo would have to rush over from ballsbridge in his emergency pinstriped onesie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Typos and basic errors have become more common in other print media also. You'll find them in The Independent and even The Irish Times at a frequency that you wouldn't have years ago.

In the Indo it's because they don't have nearly as many editors as they used to have. In the Irish Times it seems to be the work of interns and similar low-level staff that doesn't get adequately edited. The primary cause is cost-cutting removing quality-control rather than illiterate millennials.
    That kind of proof-reading is the job of sub-editors, a category of staff that's been cut to the bone in recent years. Of course, there is spell-check software built into word processors these days, but it can't catch certain kinds of errors. It's all symptomatic of the newspapers simply not being as lucrative a business as in the past.

mikhail wrote: »
    That kind of proof-reading is the job of sub-editors, a category of staff that's been cut to the bone in recent years. Of course, there is spell-check software built into word processors these days, but it can't catch certain kinds of errors. It's all symptomatic of the newspapers simply not being as lucrative a business as in the past.

They're all kind of competing with digital media (which itsself is dying off faster than print media) who can get the news stories out faster than print. Faster than television even. Just constant plugged in to news media.

Off topic, but related-has anyone tried to use Sky's 'record series' option on Tg4? For certain shows or series, Tg4 it will record one episode, then decide 'series ended'.
    Who's responsible for that? It only happens with TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Sky is another media organisation that will be in trouble due to the Corona virus. I've lived perfectly fine without live sport since the lockdown, so won't be renewing my subscription.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

You're all being very harsh on RTE. People are losing their minds during lockdown, hoping desperately for original content to pass the time, and RTE have delivered despite their financial woes. They put on a new home-grown comedy/drama a couple of weeks ago, and another one tomorrow night, so can the naysayers and moaners stop saying they're a waste of money please?

They're called Bachelors Walk and Pure Mule , check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They put on a new home-grown comedy/drama a couple of weeks ago, and another one tomorrow night, so can the naysayers and moaners stop saying they're a waste of money please?

They're called Bachelors Walk and Pure Mule , check them out.

Hmmm - you know that is 20 years old

Hmmm - you know that is 20 years old

Yep, and any 'new' shows RTE have put on, such as Normal People, are produced and funded by British production companyies.

Not Irish.

Plus how could Pure Mule be 'new'-Tom Murphy, one of the leads, has been dead for almost 13 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Sky is another media organisation that will be in trouble due to the Corona virus. I've lived perfectly fine without live sport since the lockdown, so won't be renewing my subscription.

I hope they don't have to put both of their orchestras on the wage subsidy scheme. That would be a disaster.

Advertisement