Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

You're all being very harsh on RTE. People are losing their minds during lockdown, hoping desperately for original content to pass the time, and RTE have delivered despite their financial woes. They put on a new home-grown comedy/drama a couple of weeks ago, and another one tomorrow night, so can the naysayers and moaners stop saying they're a waste of money please?

They're called Bachelors Walk and Pure Mule , check them out.

If Alison Spittle is not in them, I'm not watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,566 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What's the story with the 'commercial presentations' they now have on RTE at prime time whereby Brennans and SuperValu basically bought the entire ad slot for 1 ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    If Alison Spittle is not in them, I'm not watching.

Allison Spittle should present the news.

Or the weather. To heck with it-make her host the Angelus! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

What's the story with the 'commercial presentations' they now have on RTE at prime time whereby Brennans and SuperValu basically bought the entire ad slot for 1 ad?

I stand to be corrected here but, (and you knew that but was coming) it's basically-Musgraves are loaded. Buying up a 3min slot is a drop in the ocean for them. Once a company gets into something different like insurance (often called insurdance) or mobile phones like Tesco, you know they're trying to burn money.

Not sure about the Brennans though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Probably giving a deal just so they have something to occupy the ad slots, don't see the same problem with VM stations or private radio stations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

fritzelly wrote: »
    Hmmm - you know that is 20 years old

It was meant as sarcasm... obviously didnt come across. The fact that the best RTE shows on all week are 15 and 20 years old is laughable.

Normal People is getting lots of hype at the moment, and Im sure theyve paid plenty to get it. Which was why I was a bit surprised to see them promoting BBCs showing of it last Monday as "best tv to watch today", 24 hours before they showed it themselves.

It was meant as sarcasm... obviously didnt come across. The fact that the best RTE shows on all week are 15 and 20 years old is laughable.

Normal People is getting lots of hype at the moment, and Im sure theyve paid plenty to get it. Which was why I was a bit surprised to see them promoting BBCs showing of it last Monday as "best tv to watch today", 24 hours before they showed it themselves.

Damn you forgot the /s font

If RTE weren't so hell bent on supporting their "friends" (Operation Covid-Nation) they would be making stuff like Normal People instead of having to buy it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Damn you forgot the /s font

If RTE weren't so hell bent on supporting their "friends" (Operation Covid-Nation) they would be making stuff like Normal People instead of having to buy it in.

Yeah I'd say there are meetings in rte where they try to come up with new vehicles for their 'talent'.

Be it Kathryn Thomas, Francis Brennan, Dermot Bannon .......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say there are meetings in rte where they try to come up with new vehicles for their 'talent'.

Be it Kathryn Thomas, Francis Brennan, Dermot Bannon .......

Or any of the ballymaloo crowd

Or any of the ballymaloo crowd

If only Gerry Ryan were still alive, Rachel Allen's kid could have made a FORTUNE in RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

You're all being very harsh on RTE. People are losing their minds during lockdown, hoping desperately for original content to pass the time, and RTE have delivered despite their financial woes. They put on a new home-grown comedy/drama a couple of weeks ago, and another one tomorrow night, so can the naysayers and moaners stop saying they're a waste of money please?

They're called Bachelors Walk and Pure Mule , check them out.

Even in sarcasm I can't pretend Pure Mule was very good. Opening episode, the two lads go in for a haircut, only to re-emerge looking exactly as they had done going in. What would a run of a 3 blade back and sides have cost them? Shoddy...

Even in sarcasm I can't pretend Pure Mule was very good. Opening episode, the two lads go in for a haircut, only to re-emerge looking exactly as they had done going in. What would a run of a 3 blade back and sides have cost them? Shoddy...

Pure Mule was so over rated. (The episode where 2 characters do ecstasy is comically stupid).
    That and some of the accents were badly put on.

And some of the actors in that were tipped for 'greater things'... and that sort of evaporated not long after.

Garrett Lombard kind of disappeared after. I know he was in Alexander (that really bad Colin Farrell movie). Charlene McKenna seemed to be the only one who did capitalise on it. She's never been out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

With RTE though like the dog that learned to talk it wasn't so much what the dog was sayin it was more that he could talk at all so we should be thankful for the likes of pure mule

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Pure Mule was so over rated. (The episode where 2 characters do ecstasy is comically stupid).
    That and some of the accents were badly put on.

And some of the actors in that were tipped for 'greater things'... and that sort of evaporated not long after.

Garrett Lombard kind of disappeared after. I know he was in Alexander (that really bad Colin Farrell movie). Charlene McKenna seemed to be the only one who did capitalise on it. She's never been out of work.

The accents weren't badly put on at all its just people from those areas haven't heard those accents on TV, IMO. Drama is subjective, I personally consider Love/Hate over rated.

Very hard to have a career in Ireland when the broadcasters that funds local drama cuts funding by more than 60% the following year, and keeps it down at 10million for the following 10.

Strange that no one in the media point out how Sean O'Rourke's move to Today didn't affect its audience level, I don't think it had much to do with Sean arriving or Pat departing.

Haven’t we suffered enough?

Everytime Dee says something, this flashes into my brain.

HCLD.gif

Where the hell is the money going to come from? Seriously? RTE are asking the government for money.
    Now they're already planning to squander it on an idea that's not even an original one?

That and she wants to literally rush it into production, by having it ready in 3 weeks?

Get lost-that's just 'Operation covid nation' thinking right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Well up until the rename it from covidthon to telethon

Elmo wrote: »
    Well up until the rename it from covidthon to telethon

I sadly can picture it being called that.

Wonder who they'll get to present it? Lottie Ryan? We're being told to like her, maybe this might finally make her infectious... oops, poor choice of words. :P

Maybe Miriam, I'd suggest Mairead Ronan, but she's got one gig on RTE and they swapped her out with Kathryn Thomas, and nobody noticed. So she's not really popular in RTE.
    We know it won't be Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh, because she's currently taking RTE to court. So she'll probably be lucky if she holds onto her Nationwide gig.

I have a feeling RTE will just go DIRT cheap, and do the telethon on the Late Late Show. Like they have done with Eurovision. Or pretty much anything else really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Now we have a new series:
    Twinkling Through the Years, 8.15pm, RTÉ One

Singer, actress and all-round entertainer Twink looks back on her lengthy career, trawling the archives for her best moments.

They include performances alongside the likes of Dermot Morgan, Gay Byrne, Johnny Logan and Perry Como, and reuniting with Jonathan Ryan to play beloved characters Bernie and Rose Violet.

She also chats to the king of swing Paddy Cole, and there's a look back at where it all began with the 1960s’ girl group Maxi, Dick and Twink.

RTE supporting the arts

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Everytime Dee says something, this flashes into my brain.

HCLD.gif

Where the hell is the money going to come from? Seriously? RTE are asking the government for money.
    Now they're already planning to squander it on an idea that's not even an original one?

That and she wants to literally rush it into production, by having it ready in 3 weeks?

Imagine the fees for the “stars” alone?

Lottie Ryan to host.

• Advertisement

goose2005 wrote: »
    Now we have a new series:

RTE supporting the arts

It's a repeat. And I don't believe it was a series, it was a once off.

It aired last July, and the audience wasn't exactly excited to watch it.

Is this a new idea today after the 2 million that people donated last night to Pieta House - without any stars being paid to tell you to donate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I suppose it's hard to sell ads with so many businesses inactive, they have to take what they can get.

Is this a new idea today after the 2 million that people donated last night to Pieta House - without any stars being paid to tell you to donate

Oh God... 'Donate to RTE-we need to get that 60 million that you FREELOADERS keep not paying every year. Ryan Tubridy has had to downgrade to a Mansion. He had a palace last year. Miriam O'Callahan's wardrobe budget was SLASHED by 50 euro. Lottie Ryan hasn't had enough gig's to warrant us keeping her on staff, so we're paying her the RTE pension even tho she's too young to be getting it'.

I can just imagine it.

You've lost me. What was what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I sadly can picture it being called that.

Wonder who they'll get to present it? Lottie Ryan? We're being told to like her, maybe this might finally make her infectious... oops, poor choice of words. :P

Maybe Miriam, I'd suggest Mairead Ronan, but she's got one gig on RTE and they swapped her out with Kathryn Thomas, and nobody noticed. So she's not really popular in RTE.
    We know it won't be Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh, because she's currently taking RTE to court. So she'll probably be lucky if she holds onto her Nationwide gig.

I have a feeling RTE will just go DIRT cheap, and do the telethon on the Late Late Show. Like they have done with Eurovision. Or pretty much anything else really.
    Mairead has a lot going for her

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Edgware wrote: »
    Mairead has a lot going for her

So would you if you married a multi-millionaire. For love.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Caspian Petite Corner

Imagine the fees for the “stars” alone?

Lottie Ryan to host.

Vogue, Ray Darcy, , Bressie, Huberman, annoying influencers, Garrity, some love island/reality show rejects are all delighted if this comes off to get their desperate mugs attention they so crave

i can see Blindboy or Eoin McDermott try to be the Bono/Bob Geldof of this whinging "should dig deep" while being an irritating sanctimonious douchebag

So would you if you married a multi-millionaire. For love.

And it's her second marriage, and the first where she took the rich dude's name.

Only positive thing I can ever say about her is 'she's not ruining any tv show I watch-because I actively avoid her'.
    Her and Dara O' Brian are instant 'grab the remote' people.

• Advertisement

Vogue, Ray Darcy, , Bressie, Huberman, annoying influencers, Garrity, some love island/reality show rejects are all delighted if this comes off to get their desperate mugs attention

Blindboy or Eoin McDermott to be the Bono/Bob Geldof of this and be an irritating sanctimonius douche whinging "should dig deep"

Just reading that is making me nauseous

Advertisement