Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

And it's her second marriage, and the first where she took the rich dude's name.

Only positive thing I can ever say about her is 'she's not ruining any tv show I watch-because I actively avoid her'.
    Her and Dara O' Brian are instant 'grab the remote' people.

I could tell you stories.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I could tell you stories.....

I'd happily listen.

I'd happily listen.

Sadly I’d end up in court if I told them. But if you ever meet her ask her about taking the bins out......

Sadly I’d end up in court if I told them. But if you ever meet her ask her about taking the bins out......

You can always pm me. :)

I see that Dee is proposing that the telethon “could lift the nation’s spirits”. That alone should rule out a number of RTE staffers and contractors from being on the show, as they usually deal in illness (preferably terminal), death (preferably recent), misery (preferably inducing tears) and hackneyed platitudes.

As you can see, I’ve further developed into a devout and practicing cynic, because the announcement should be good news. But having listened - or indeed recently stopped listening - to the incessant blathering, wows, petals and so on for the last couple of months, I share with other posters the sentiments expressed here.

It will be an extended Late Late Show with Toymeister Ryan at the helm and all the usual suspects doing their bit.

Good morning, by the way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Please let’s all donate money so they don’t have this bulls**t

Looking at Tubs trying to be serious while interview Lottie Ryan would drive the country demented....

The government has to step in to stop this potential disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is anyone else REALLY curious now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is anyone else REALLY curious now?

Yes but I would doubt the story will be as good as the build up

Probably something along the lines of she put her bin bags in someone else’s bin

Rest assured the Government will take the money from the property tax and then there's nothing to stop them from increasing it to say, 300 or 500 a year and this we should not allow, once they take the money forcibly they can do what the hell they want.

If Dee Forbes had any self respect she would resign, RTE was bad before she took over but it's worse now and it's an RTE I do not care too much for any more.

Dee Forbes has the power to change RTE, she had her chance, how long will RTE wait before sacking her ? how deplorable will it get ? How much damage will she do before RTE see sense or are they afraid to sack a Woman ? probably a lot to do with actually, the media will say "how dare the big old "Men" in RTE sack a fine Woman who did RTE great service"

Will people accept the license fee being forcibly taken ? this will give them them the power to increase it to what they want. This shouldn't be allowed.

Rest assured the Government will take the money from the property tax and then there's nothing to stop them from increasing it to say, 300 or 500 a year and this we should not allow, once they take the money forcibly they can do what the hell they want.

If Dee Forbes had any self respect she would resign, RTE was bad before she took over but it's worse now and it's an RTE I do not care too much for any more.

Dee Forbes has the power to change RTE, she had her chance, how long will RTE wait before sacking her ? how deplorable will it get ? How much damage will she do before RTE see sense or are they afraid to sack a Woman ? probably a lot to do with actually, the media will say "how dare the big old "Men" in RTE sack a fine Woman who did RTE great service"

Will people accept the license fee being forcibly taken ? this will give them them the power to increase it to what they want. This shouldn't be allowed.

Not a chance in hell she’ll be fired for a variety of reasons, inc. the female angle. I now await an attack from the usual suspects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Take cover lads incoming fire imminent and may God be with ye and protect ye

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Noel Curran should have been fired ten times over, while Dee Forbes has continued his work.

RTÉ aren’t going to change in terms of funding Irish content, regardless of an extra funding they will be content with what they have, they don’t understand the dissatisfaction that audiences have with them, their focus on extra funding when they insist on not cutting back at 2fm and continued cuts at Children’s content, drama and the nonexistent comedy output.

Not a chance in hell she’ll be fired for a variety of reasons, inc. the female angle. I now await an attack from the usual suspects.

PArdon the analogy, but it's sort of like Donald Trump. People think 'get rid of Trump, you get rid of the problem'... but then you've got Mike Pence, you've got Mike Pompeo, Steve MnUchin...
    Just the problem continues on.

Not that I'm saying Forbes is without blame, but moreso it's just the same thing as time goes on. Nothing can help that.

I'm not one bit afraid to speak my mind and I couldn't care less about Feminists/Liberals talking a load of nonsense.

I'll never forget the time the footballers were found not guilty and Prime Time had Feminists on saying it was a bad day for Women, no Men on and no one out there saying it was a good day for Men and I found this particularly disgraceful !

What would have been correct for RTE to do in this instance was to comment on the actions of both parties involved who both acted rather shamefully lets just say if they were Sons and Daughter of mine I would be highly ashamed and embarrassed. But no, straight away bash Men, bad day for Women ! unbelievable or rather, believable with today's RTE.

Not to mention their agendas, their Anti trump rhetoric, continuous one sided interviews with anti trump people and no one pro trump will be interviewed on RTE, that's to name a few but the most obvious.

Anti catholic,

Anti Male etc etc.

They're trying to brainwash People, lucky they're loosing viewers and listeners.

It's all part and parcel as to why RTE are failing and will continue to do so because of this and they can't provide the content People want, People don't want to be continuously subjected to their agendas and liberalism BS.

People sometimes want to escape the continuous negativity in the World and watch a Movie, oh wait, they only show a few Movies a week that
    they had on 100 times before, constantly interrupted with adds so what will I do ? turn on Netflix or Amazon.

At the end of the day, we're going to be forced by the politicians to pay to RTE and then this gives them the authority to dramatically rise the license fee, and if they do force us to pay we will have to have to march on the streets like what happened for the water charges, let RTE and the Government know we won't tolerate it.

And another thing, try get through RTE R 1 Screening if you have an opposite view as to what RTE are trying to push on the public, this shows exactly what type of organisation RTE are.

Time for RTE to do the right thing and sack Dee Forbes, fresh blood, be they Man or Woman I really don't give a sh1t as long as they act in the best interests of RTE and the Public and not try force agendas at us but I think the corruption may have spread so far in RTE today that there probably is no saving it now that and Netflix, Amazon and one of my favourites, YouTube, it's fecking great, I can turn it on and find so much related to my Amateur radio hobby, I could watch it for hours, just ordinary People doing interesting stuff for free for us all to enjoy! there's so much content, RTE can't compete with that, just not possible.

Youtube shows just how creative ordinary non professionals can be, how entertaining , yet RTE are paying several hundred thousand to Gob****es who couldn't entertain a 2 year old for 5 mins.

Elmo wrote: »
    Noel Curran should have been fired ten times over, while Dee Forbes has continued his work.

RTÉ aren’t going to change in terms of funding Irish content, regardless of an extra funding they will be content with what they have, they don’t understand the dissatisfaction that audiences have with them, their focus on extra funding when they insist on not cutting back at 2fm and continued cuts at Children’s content, drama and the nonexistent comedy output.

I couldn't agree more, 2fm is shockingly bad, it should go or be sold to a commercial company that can make better use of the infrastructure.

Irish content is fine, but Fair City makes me want to puke any time I turn it on for 5 mins to see has it improved, Glenroe was far more watchable.

However I have real issue with Irish content paid for by the taxpayer that is absolute rubbish and because the gravy train keeps funding it there's no incentive to make it entertaining with actors that can actually act.

I couldn't agree more, 2fm is shockingly bad, it should go or be sold to a commercial company that can make better use of the infrastructure.

Irish content is fine, but Fair City makes me want to puke any time I turn it on for 5 mins to see has it improved, Glenroe was far more watchable.

However I have real issue with Irish content paid for by the taxpayer that is absolute rubbish and because the gravy train keeps funding it there's no incentive to make it entertaining with actors that can actually act.

Personally, nothing read as sadder than when RTE secret producer was talking about how the RTE Children's department was now silent. Like, walking past that part of the RTE studios used to be bustling with life. But the RTE cuts meant it literally went silent.
    Sadly, it had been on life support for years, but was still sad to see it go.

I suppose we were lucky it died off before 'Identity politics' crept into it.

..... the corruption may have spread so far in RTE today that there probably is no saving it now that and Netflix, Amazon and one of my favourites, YouTube, it's fecking great, I can turn it on and find so much related to my Amateur radio hobby, I could watch it for hours, just ordinary People doing interesting stuff for free for us all to enjoy! there's so much content, RTE can't compete with that, just not possible.

Youtube shows just how creative ordinary non professionals can be, how entertaining , yet RTE are paying several hundred thousand to Gob****es who couldn't entertain a 2 year old for 5 mins.

Mad Lad,
    I would see where you're coming from, and you make plenty of good points re: RTE, but most providers follow the 80:20 rule.

80% of content poor, 20% decent or good. Amazon, Netflix, YouTube etc.

You mentioned YT specifically, lets be honest there is a massive amount of content that is absolute sh1t on it. It is full of attention seeking, untalented people too, so its just not RTe.

Of course we can argue that we aren't paying for YT.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Mad Lad,
    I would see where you're coming from, and you make plenty of good points re: RTE, but most providers follow the 80:20 rule.

Very easy for RTÉ to negate this rule by reducing the number of non-news, non-sporting and non-live content .... of course when you end up only making 10 programmes a year those 2 good ones don’t stand up against the 8 crap ones.

Personally, nothing read as sadder than when RTE secret producer was talking about how the RTE Children's department was now silent. Like, walking past that part of the RTE studios used to be bustling with life. But the RTE cuts meant it literally went silent.
    Sadly, it had been on life support for years, but was still sad to see it go.

I suppose we were lucky it died off before 'Identity politics' crept into it.

Yeah its sad, Nothing like it used to be, back in the 80's and 90's they actually had great entertainment on for Children/Teenagers back then.

Mad Lad,

You mentioned YT specifically, lets be honest there is a massive amount of content that is absolute sh1t on it. It is full of attention seeking, untalented people too, so its just not RTe.

Of course we can argue that we aren't paying for YT.

Oh sure, Netflix and Amazon have their fair share of crap and it will get worse as the networks like Disney and others take back their content for their own streaming services but the problem here is that this will greatly influence a surge in illegal downloading again but they also have some very good shows with no adds and some good movies, documentaries etc.

Of course youtube has tonnes of crap but lets be honest, when there's nothing go to watch on RTE there's always something to watch on YouTube. I watch lots of Amateur radio videos, Electronics stuff, People restoring old Radios etc. So much content, you'll find lots of rubbish if you want but I don't watch it and I make sure my 2 Sons don't watch it either.

RTE's problems in fairness to Dee Forbes started well before she took over, RTE has a history of creating a toxic environment with shocking bullying and it forced some good People out. However, Dee Forbes has done nothing to improve things, it's got worse and all the money in the world taken from the licence payer won't fix it if RTE themselves doesn't change.

Back in the 90's early 00's the internet couldn't stream video like today so it was useless for this and there was a lot more watching RTE so I suppose even if RTE in the next year had some good programs people might not watch them in the numbers RTE would like to justify the cost of production however, they let things slip badly and allowed a situation of poor to non existing content so People naturally looked for alternatives.

Who knows what will happen streaming in the next few years, perhaps the streaming services will become so fragmented that People won't bother subscribing to many services costing a fortune and might just turn back to RTE however, will RTE survive in the meantime ?

One thing for certain is that the internet has dramatically changed TV in Ireland and the World over.

• Advertisement

Yeah its sad, Nothing like it used to be, back in the 80's and 90's they actually had great entertainment on for Children/Teenagers back then.

Oh dear, I'm playing devil's advocate here (and sound like an RTE apologist) but let's be honest, how kids and teenagers want entertained has changed dramatically since me and you were young.

As you say above, the internet has changed TV forever. In a few short years people will not watch TV live, everything will be when it suits them, recorded, on streaming services, You Tube etc.

That is a tough market for the traditional TV companies to compete in. They really have to get smart and do it fast. RTE don't seem to be doing this, and it looks like tough times ahead for them unless they get someone in who knows what they are doing and see a different type of service from RTE.

Oh dear, I'm playing devil's advocate here (and sound like an RTE apologist) but let's be honest, how kids and teenagers want entertained has changed dramatically since me and you were young.

As you say above, the internet has changed TV forever. In a few short years people will not watch TV live, everything will be when it suits them, recorded, on streaming services, You Tube etc.

That is a tough market for the traditional TV companies to compete in. They really have to get smart and do it fast. RTE don't seem to be doing this, and it looks like tough times ahead for them unless they get someone in who knows what they are doing and see a different type of service from RTE.

What I was kind of noting about the absence of the Children's division is that the best people for RTE to gauge technology and how people are accessing their shows are young people.
    They were generally the folks who were on the pulse. Unfortunately, RTE doesn't even have a pulse right now.
    Before they were plucking people out of secondary schools who were up to date on technology, and following the latest trends (Stephen Byrne, for example).

TG4 have been repeating certain shows from the early 00s, and it reminds you that you'd often see fresh faces on TV, especially TG4. (Many were often hired straight after the Leaving Cert, or even before it). Nowadays, you'd struggle to think of a new presenter in the last 5 or more years.
    (I was about to say Cliona Ni Chosain, but she's been on TV, in some format, for the last 14 years. Now she's a presenter, she used to be an actress).
    You'd come up blank to name any presenter aged 25 or less.

Part of me thinks it's because TV is dead, and that certain shows are now over, but then I see the likes of Shudder or Netflix doing their own thing, and having certain shows where they discuss certain topics. Yet the audience for them is global, not just centralised to one country.

How Kids are entertained has changed dramatically yes, they don't want to go outside and play and just want to sit on their ass with digital entertainment constantly all day every day and that is disturbing.

Back in the day Kids tv was only a few hrs long so most kids had nothing to do except entertain themselves and that was no bad thing at all.

Yes it's tough for any state broadcaster, RTE are not changing to suit but I don't think it would matter because of the different streaming services, they have some good shows that are popular to the 30+ and I think this is where they need to concentrate their efforts with radio and TV and small kids who are not yet savvy enough to use a tablet which is another problem, at least back in the day kids watched tv you know was safe nowadays kids are given tablets to get them away from the parents with access to all sorts of crap and they become highly addicted and aggressive then if you take it from them. It's sad to go in to a friends house seeing their kids glued to the tablet for hrs and I noticed a lot of them have speech issues, some should be speaking a lot better for their age.

The salaries on RTE are a joke and I don't think Public money should go to funding this.

If RTE are given money it should be given on the basis that there are massive salary cuts, I mean who's have Tubridy outside of RTE ? so he'll take the cut.

I think an independent body should be appointed to RTE to ensure the money is spent in the interests of the Public on Content and services and not salaries.

No adds during movies.

Add a movie only channel with no adds, I would watch this if they had decent movies old or new I don't care as long as there is a mix.

Turn 2FM into RTE Gold and play music from 50's - 2000 etc.

Have DJ's with the maturity to relate to the 30+

Add a proper streaming service.

Proper News that covers world wide events, RTE News presenters have a very easy time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭badabing106

Wouldn't it be great if RTE did a prime time special on itself. The amount of utter money wastage, skullduggery, negligence, incompetence, criminal behaviour, wife swapping, acting the maggot, away with the cookoos management and other skeletons that would be exposed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Wouldn't it be great if RTE did a prime time special on itself. The amount of utter money wastage, skullduggery, negligence, incompetence, criminal behaviour, wife swapping, acting the maggot, away with the cookoos management and other skeletons that would be exposed

Remember the time when Dee announced the cutbacks?
    They wouldn't even put a spokesperson on to Prime Time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

What I was kind of noting about the absence of the Children's division is that the best people for RTE to gauge technology and how people are accessing their shows are young people.
    They were generally the folks who were on the pulse. Unfortunately, RTE doesn't even have a pulse right now.
    Before they were plucking people out of secondary schools who were up to date on technology, and following the latest trends (Stephen Byrne, for example).

TG4 have been repeating certain shows from the early 00s, and it reminds you that you'd often see fresh faces on TV, especially TG4. (Many were often hired straight after the Leaving Cert, or even before it). Nowadays, you'd struggle to think of a new presenter in the last 5 or more years.
    (I was about to say Cliona Ni Chosain, but she's been on TV, in some format, for the last 14 years. Now she's a presenter, she used to be an actress).
    You'd come up blank to name any presenter aged 25 or less.

Part of me thinks it's because TV is dead, and that certain shows are now over, but then I see the likes of Shudder or Netflix doing their own thing, and having certain shows where they discuss certain topics. Yet the audience for them is global, not just centralised to one country.

Alot of the roles that are supposed to be on the more youthful side of the house are squatted on by people in their 30s - McDermott, Lottie, Garihy etc and if any of them leave dont worry, Roz or Jenny Green or Dave Fanning will step in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

In the past few weeks...

Brendan Grace documentary repeated
    Twink documentary repeated
    Dana documentary
    Marty Morrissey in the Shed announced
    Telathon idea floated

They're taking the ****ing piss...

In the past few weeks...

Brendan Grace documentary repeated
    Twink documentary repeated
    Dana documentary
    Marty Morrissey in the Shed announced
    Telathon idea floated

They're taking the ****ing piss...

Yeah no movie to escape the depression after the 9 news.

This is why I said earlier, RTE need a dedicated Movie channel.

So depressing is their lineup tonight I'm on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Actually the Dana documentary is quite interesting.
    Some great archive footage.

• Advertisement

Yeah no movie to escape the depression after the 9 news.

This is why I said earlier, RTE need a dedicated Movie channel.

So depressing is their lineup tonight I'm on Netflix.

Let's be honest though, if RTE had a dedicated movie channel-it would be all the s**t Irish movies you've tried to forget.

The Halo Effect, Strength and Honor, Halal Daddy, An Everlasting Piece, The Most Fertile Man in Ireland, Rat, Boy Eats girl... etc

It wouldn't be good movies, it would long forgotten, so cheap you can probably get a boxset of all of them down at your local petrol pumps for 2 quid movies.
    elperello wrote: »
    Actually the Dana documentary is quite interesting.
    Some great archive footage.

Nostalgia/ 'historical' tv shows are cheapest crap to make-so of course RTE is doling out tons of them right now. (That show was obviously planned before Covid-19, these things usually take months to do).
    RTE don't have to spend much, if any, money on archive footage. (Since they own the archived material).

I don't want to hear from Dana. She was trying to put 'God' into the EU mandate (like the actual beardy fella). Even tried to ban surrogacy or IVF, among other things.
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dana-to-take-god-petition-to-eu-124573.html

Then there are her comments about abortion, Gay marriage, divorce... she's a very nasty person, when the sheen is wiped away. (Keep in mind I got no issue with opinion, but I have an issue when they force that opinion on other people because of their 'opinion').

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/vote-no-on-gay-marriage-urges-dana-31240076.html

And Fine Gael have been slow as hell to kick anyone out of the party... but they had no issue ditching Dana.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fine-gael-divorce-dana-over-nice-link-to-abortion-26083432.html

Advertisement