Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Whats wrong with Dana - great appearance on the LLS

Ohh that other Dana

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

fritzelly wrote: »
    Whats wrong with Dana - great appearance on the LLS

Ohh that other Dana

That's Dana 'International'...

I'm talking Dana 'National'... :P

...tho she did try and get into Europe at one point.

That's Dana 'International'...

I'm talking Dana 'National'... :P

...tho she did try and get into Europe at one point.

Made me a bit teary watching that - LLS when it was good

Made me a bit teary watching that - LLS when it was good

It's an incredible interview too-the 'woke' crew would want to watch that for reference.
    Gay Byrne treats her as an ambassador for Israel (genuinely) with all that that entails.
    There are no jokes made at her expense, barring jokes she makes about politics and so on. And the interview is treated with genuine sensitivity, discussing how important her win is.

Fast forward ten years later (D.I. won in 1998, re-entered the Eurovision in 2011), and Brendan O'Connor makes a complete s**t show of an interview with her. The plonker.

It's all 'ooh, matron', and the likes. Jesus, that guy's an embarassment.

Don't see anything wrong with that interview (that clip that is)

• Advertisement

Don't see anything wrong with that interview (that clip that is)

Can't get the full one, but one was more intelligent and nuanced, the other was more 'trashy' for want of a better word.

Not as bad as the P*ssy power russian feminists one tho. The one where they walked off.

Can't get the full one, but one was more intelligent and nuanced, the other was more 'trashy' for want of a better word.

Not as bad as the P*ssy power russian feminists one tho. The one where they walked off.

He played off the guest and that's a good interviewer - if someone Tubs is interviewing goes off script he is totally lost

I think as an interviewer Sean Moncrieff is excellent (can do crazy, serious and educational better than anyone else I've heard in Ireland bar maybe SOR) - he would be great as the LLS host, quick witted, well read, probably not a face for TV tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

He played off the guest and that's a good interviewer - if someone Tubs is interviewing goes off script he is totally lost

I think as an interviewer Sean Moncrieff is excellent (can do crazy, serious and educational better than anyone else I've heard in Ireland bar maybe SOR) - he would be great as the LLS host, quick witted, well read, probably not a face for TV tho

He's oh so so so pc though and can be a bit snide and sarky if a guest or listener isn't a member of the same pc church

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Sean Monicrieff has stated he'll never get the opportunity to work for RTÉ again, not sure why. Though he did work on the Restaurant for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The pandemic might be getting us all down, but at least it’s giving us some absolute gems to watch!!

Just seen the ads for Marty in the shed! That’s Right, it’s Marty Morrissey - in his shed, calling up various folks from the world of sport, entertainment, comedy & Alison Spittle on the Skype machine.

Coming soon to the iPlayer - if you can get it working......

• Advertisement

The pandemic might be getting us all down, but at least it’s giving us some absolute gems to watch!!

Just seen the ads for Marty in the shed! That’s Right, it’s Marty Morrissey - in his shed, calling up various folks from the world of sport, entertainment, comedy & Alison Spittle on the Skype machine.

I hope they disinfected it... wasn't Claire Byrne in there a few weeks back, self isolating with 'rona?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Caspian Petite Corner

What is his appeal? im so mystified why he's popular/people like him - i dont actually hate him but whats his deal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What is his appeal? im so mystified why he's popular/people like him - i dont actually hate him but whats his deal

He is charming, confident, humorous in a self deprecating way.

Well thought of in the area he works in.

The camera loves him.

In short just what you want in a TV personality.

elperello wrote: »
    He is charming, confident, humorous in a self deprecating way.

Well thought of in the area he works in.

The camera loves him.

In short just what you want in a TV personality.

fair enough, seems an alright guy, wouldnt have him as a tv personality though...not criticising anyone who likes him,

Elmo wrote: »
    Sean Monicrieff has stated he'll never get the opportunity to work for RTÉ again, not sure why. Though he did work on the Restaurant for years.

The Sean Moncrieff who started out in RTE is sadly a pale shadow of who he used to be.
    Essentially the old Moncrieff wouldn't be tolerated by the current Moncrieff.

He was completely un-Pc.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/1215/753677-welcome-to-the-end/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Moncrief was great on don't feed the gondolo's but can barely tolerate him on newstalk now

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

Moncrief was great on don't feed the gondolo's but can barely tolerate him on newstalk now

I like him - between him and D'arcy it's no competition

No time for him but Blindboy gets his own show on RTE BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06qgq7t

No time for him but Blindboy gets his own show on RTE BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06qgq7t

That's from 2019. It obviously didn't make much of a dent in the mainstream, because this is the first I've heard of it.

Even clips I found on youtube aren't exactly the most popular.

That's from 2019. It obviously didn't make much of a dent in the mainstream, because this is the first I've heard of it.

Even clips I found on youtube aren't exactly the most popular.

I know it's been a long time in lockdown but 2019 was only a few months ago :D

BBC 3 is online only - thought it was meant to be a young peoples channel

Point is foreign channels take more of a chance on Irish talent/culture/history than RTe do
    Even outside production companies take a chance on their productions, see if RTE is interested (likely no) then sell it off to other channels

• Advertisement

I know it's been a long time in lockdown but 2019 was only a few months ago :D

BBC 3 is online only - thought it was meant to be a young peoples channel

Point is foreign channels take more of a chance on Irish talent/culture/history than RTe do
    Even outside production companies take a chance on their productions, see if RTE is interested (likely no) then sell it off to other channels

BBC3 was a TV channel, then they scrapped it and made it exclusively online. Before, it was the launching point of shows like Gavin and Stacey, but as time went on, it faded into obscurity.

Tbf, Blindboy's had plenty of opportunities in Ireland. Outside of Republic of Telly, they were given many tv shows. The Rubberbandit's tried to crack the UK (even had support from Russell Brand) and keep getting chances over there.

BBC3 was a TV channel, then they scrapped it and made it exclusively online. Before, it was the launching point of shows like Gavin and Stacey, but as time went on, it faded into obscurity.

Tbf, Blindboy's had plenty of opportunities in Ireland. Outside of Republic of Telly, they were given many tv shows. The Rubberbandit's tried to crack the UK (even had support from Russell Brand) and keep getting chances over there.

As part of the requirement to drop the broadcaster channel BBC3 all programmes commissioned for the channel must be broadcast on either BBC 1 or 2. I think the short form stuff is an exception but late nights you’ll see BBC 3 on 1 & 2

dont forget the song in trainspotting 2

dont forget the song in trainspotting 2

I actually forget Trainspotting 2 was a thing.
    I understand why they made it, I just don't wanna see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Have RTE changed their supplier/output for RTE Jr over the past couple of weeks? They seem to have completely change the rotation of programmes, and a lot of what's in now seems to be THX programmes. Is a nearly full swap out of the Jr schedule something that happens on a regular basis? Or are they just penny pinching again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I actually forget Trainspotting 2 was a thing.
    I understand why they made it, I just don't wanna see it.

It'll show up on RTE sometime in 2023

Have RTE changed their supplier/output for RTE Jr over the past couple of weeks? They seem to have completely change the rotation of programmes, and a lot of what's in now seems to be THX programmes. Is a nearly full swap out of the Jr schedule something that happens on a regular basis? Or are they just penny pinching again?

It could be that they opted for a different distributor and have decided on newer programmes.
    It'll show up on RTE sometime in 2023

I think its already been on, but then I realise its a FILM4 production so perhaps not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Elmo wrote: »
    It could be that they opted for a different distributor and have decided on newer programmes.

Think this is what happened. Although I would suggest using the term "newer programmes" is incorrect. Different programmes. Of much worse quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Dee Forbes is at it again over the TV licence fee.

Whinging the €60m wasn't collected and RTE cannot compete.

That's about 375,00 homes not paying the fee, so evasion is about 15%

The whole TV licence thing REALLY bugs me.
    I don't watch RTE, not even for the Soccer/GAA. I might listen to the radio when I drive the car in the morning (which is once a blue moon)
    I don't use the service, why the hell should I have to pay for it!

Obviously we cannot get rid of RTE as there are a great many people that do use the service.
    That being said massive reforms are needed.
    Firstly, do we really need RTE1 and RTE2? One channel would be enough.
    Same with the radio stations, we only need one.
    Do we REALLY need TG4?

The land they are on as well is ridiculous, some of the most valuable land in the country. They don't need to be there, they could be out in Athlone or somewhere an no one would know the difference.

And then there's the salaries of the bigshots
    Ryan Tubridy - €500,000 per year is the biggest Joke of all
    That salary puts him on a par with the likes of Claudia Winkleman, Alan Shearer, Fiona Bruce of the BBC.
    He is nothing compared to them.
    BBC can justify big salaries as it is broadcast around the world, and the content is generally quite good.
    No one outside of Ireland know's who Tubb's is.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/rte-director-general-calls-for-changes-in-tv-licence-fee-as-60m-uncollected-annually-840770.html

Add to the above do we need two radio channels broadcasting 24/7.
    Even the BBC combine their radio channels around midnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

I'd start smaller. Do we really need two fecking orchestras!!!

We certainly don't need two orchestras when they rarely move outside the M50.

Advertisement