Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Elmo wrote: »
    Worst Minister for comms. Seriously he couldn't even make a decision on removing children's programming from RTÉ2 (Yes under the act they have to ask). He over saw the slow role out of DTT which had started with Eamon Ryan (who might be the second worst).

Pat Rabbitte is media loved up in the SBP. A very angry man.

Oh Rabbitte was and is a terrible politician. For sure. Funny when the camera was pointed at him, useless when it wasn't.
    He could spin an anecdote-but when he was put in charge of Labour, he was useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

elperello wrote: »
    That's ok not to worry.
    My point was simply that the companies in question are state owned and essential services which we appear to be agreed on.

Yes we are agreed on that ....
    Where I would take issue with you is in describing the current situation as a "bump in the road". It would be hard for any organisation to respond to the C19 crisis without recourse to extra funding. Many organisations both public and private are currently looking for funding from the state coffers.

I wasn't describing only the current situation ..I was referring to the fact that a lot of these type of companies have Directors who live "high on the hog" and do not provide for minor downturns
    As the DAA and CIE are in the transport business it's probably best to confine ourselves to RTE for the purposes of this thread.

Why so ? The DAA in particular have had at least 6 years of very rapid expansion.
    Unfortunately there is no pot of gold at the end of the "stars salaries" rainbow. Most of the high earners have contracts and until they are renewed savings will not be available there. Any cuts to staff salaries would be in the context of cuts in the broader public service if the Government decides to take that route.

Agreed on the pot of gold bit..I know that in the overall scheme of things the stars salaries are a small percentage ...but what boils most peoples p1ss is that someone in RTE agreed these contracts and paying these ridiculous salaries while looking for more taxpayer money is just a no no.
    In view of the forthcoming Broadcasting Commission which I hope will address all matters relating to RTE funding I think it would be best for the Government to supply emergency funding. This would allow RTE to continue to fulfill it's vital public service remit during the crisis and leave the final reckoning to calmer times.

Would be against ANY increase in subvention to RTE until a proper independent review is carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

In relation to presenters wages. RTÉ will often defend this.

But take Tubrity as an example why did he earn so much from 2010 to 2015 when his Radio show on 2FM was doing really badly and he only return to an audience when getting back to work on Radio1, is he really that valuable if he can spend 5 years on 2fm with no listeners and then return to RTÉ Radio 1's audience level because he happens to be on Radio 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭badabing106

Elmo wrote: »
    In relation to presenters wages. RTÉ will often defend this.

But take Tubrity as an example why did he earn so much from 2010 to 2015 when his Radio show on 2FM was doing really badly and he only return to an audience when getting back to work on Radio1, is he really that valuable if he can spend 5 years on 2fm with no listeners and then return to RTÉ Radio 1's audience level because he happens to be on Radio 1?

I think RTE feared he would be "poached". All of RTE "stars" were put on mount everest type peak summit salaries for fear they would be headhunted by rival stations? A tiny market like Ireland? The mind boggles.

Joe Duffy earned €408,889 in 2008.RTÉ's Director General said in 2009 that there was "no question that by today's standards" the salaries paid to its top presenters last year "were excessive. I have to repeat that they were set at a different time in a different competitive reality where some of this talent might be up for poaching by other organisations and in RTÉ's view at the time, they delivered value for money".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I suspect that the money RTE makes from Normal People will equal the money they get from the license fee (for the next couple of years).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭badabing106

I suspect that the money RTE makes from Normal People will equal the money they get from the license fee (for the next couple of years).

RTE had absolutely nothing to do with this show as far as I'm aware. So, I presume RTE paid for the rights to broadcast it. It was produced by The BBC and an American company Hulu

RTE had absolutely nothing to do with this show as far as I'm aware. So, I presume RTE paid for the rights to broadcast it. It was produced by The BBC and an American company Hulu

Yup, it had zero help from RTE. That's why it's getting so much negative 'complaints' from Moral Minor... Moral Majority. RTE cater to the 'moral' crowd.

If it was made or produced or funded in any way by RTE, the whole thing would have been neutered and devoid of personality. (I don't watch it, mind. I just have seen enough RTE to know). In comparison, a lot of folks are discussing the show. Probably being helped by the whole Quarantine or lockdown.

Oh for effs sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

They just don't give a s**t. They go to the whole trouble of making a programme where Des Cahill gets some celebs to chat an choose 3 songs desert island style an then they just play 2 bars of the last song when the announcer cuts in with the news.. If ya can't do the easy things......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

They just don't give a s**t. They go to the whole trouble of making a programme where Des Cahill gets some celebs to chat an choose 3 songs desert island style an then they just play 2 bars of the last song when the announcer cuts in with the news.. If ya can't do the easy things......
    And they continue to make this tripe because they know that they can get away with it .............. as the money will continue to roll in; irrespective of the non-relevance or extremely poor quality of their programmes.
    The word "accountability" does not exist at RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Caspian Petite Corner

probably didnt want to pay the fee for playing the full song

Kivaro wrote: »
    And they continue to make this tripe because they know that they can get away with it .............. as the money will continue to roll in; irrespective of the non-relevance or extremely poor quality of their programmes.
    The word "accountability" does not exist at RTE.

"Money will continue to roll in" .? I thought the problem was that the money was NOT rolling in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Can't believe it's that time already. The year flew.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0522/1139978-ryan-tubridy/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Nathan & Jake Carter on the Late Late show tonight

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u6.jpg

If you build it, they will come...

Just on RTÉ salaries,

I’ve been counting the last 2 days the number of RTÉ News correspondents that have been on the last 2 days (as well as those I’d know from memory), and so far I have 41 correspondents! (I’m sure there are more so the list will no doubt grow).

Tony Connolly - Europe
    Michael Lihane - Politics
    Seán MAC an tSÍTHIGH
    Pascal Sheehy - Southern
    Ingrid Miley - Industry & Employment
    Theresa Manion - West
    Paul Cunningham - Politics
    Sean Whelan - London
    Joe Little - Religion
    George Lee - Science
    Ciaran Mullooly -
    Samantha Librairi
    Vincent Kearney - Northern Ireland
    Tommy Gorman - Belfast
    Emma O’Kelly - Education?
    Brian O’Donovan - Washington/U.S.
    Juliet Gash
    Albha Kineally
    Eleanor Mannion
    Fran McNulty - Agriculture
    Dimitri O’Donnell
    Eamonn Horan
    Conor Kane - Southeast
    Pat McGrath - Western
    Kathy O’Halloran
    Robert Short - Economics
    Sinead Crowley
    Helen Donohue
    Conor Hunt
    Fergal O’Brien
    Sinead Hussey
    Jackie Fox
    Laura Fletcher
    Gail Conway
    Justin Treacy - Sport?
    Philip Bromwell
    Dyane Connor
    John Kilraine
    Coleman O'Sullivan
    Joe Stack - Sport (and Kerry lotto)
    Eileen Magnier

Lets say they are on an average salary of €50,000 (which I’d say is a very conservative estimate (surely George Lee is on the big bucks)), that would put the correspondents wage bill at €2.05m (and as mentioned, I’m sure there’s a lot more than the 41 above).

Some of these folks, you might only hear from once a month like Samantha Librairi, Joe Little etc.....

Could a solely commercially funded Broadcaster afford to have such a bloated number of correspondents?

(Anyone please feel free to add to my list if they know of any more that I left out (probably because we only hear from them once a month))

Dyane Connor, John Kilraine, Philip Bromwell. Dublin stuff

Coleman O Sullivan. Sad stuff.

Joe Stack. Sports and Kerry lotto wins.

Eileen Magnier

Fergal Bowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's ok not to worry.

Yes we are agreed on that ....

I wasn't describing only the current situation ..I was referring to the fact that a lot of these type of companies have Directors who live "high on the hog" and do not provide for minor downturns

Why so ? The DAA in particular have had at least 6 years of very rapid expansion.

Agreed on the pot of gold bit..I know that in the overall scheme of things the stars salaries are a small percentage ...but what boils most peoples p1ss is that someone in RTE agreed these contracts and paying these ridiculous salaries while looking for more taxpayer money is just a no no.

Would be against ANY increase in subvention to RTE until a proper independent review is carried out.

Sorry I assumed you were talking about the current C19 crisis. Agree provision should be made for minor downturns.

I just thought that seeing we were discussing the RTE situation that the problems of CIE and DAA were a separate issue.

I know a lot of people get excited about "stars" salaries.

I think the middle of a crisis is a bad time to be leaving Public Broadcasting short of resources and would prefer to wait until the Broadcasting Commission reports.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Can't believe it's that time already. The year flew.

Is he seriously talking about that?

giphy.gif

Fer gawd's sake... does he know that the LLS is dying so he's hyping up something that may not actually happen because this Covid thing is unpredictable?
    Nathan & Jake Carter on the Late Late show tonight

If you build it, they will come...

Nathan was on Maura and Daithi this evening. Managed to catch about 2 minutes of that while channel flipping. Then just watched youtube instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

You forget a few more names AndyBoBandy

RTÉ News Business staff

Adam McGuire
    Aengus Cox
    Petula Martyn
    Brian Finn

Joe Little has also retired from the Religion & Social Affairs role at RTÉ News. Ailbhe Conneely is now the Social Affairs & Religion Correspondent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Ciaran Mullooly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

jelutong wrote: »
    Ciaran Mullooly.

Juliet Gash!

Sorry I assumed you were talking about the current C19 crisis. Agree provision should be made for minor downturns.

I just thought that seeing we were discussing the RTE situation that the problems of CIE and DAA were a separate issue.

I know a lot of people get excited about "stars" salaries.

I think the middle of a crisis is a bad time to be leaving Public Broadcasting short of resources and would prefer to wait until the Broadcasting Commission reports.
    RTE certainly doesn't exist to inform.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Rte already have multiple people employed in donegal/galway/kerry working for RnaG/TG4 - at least these are meeting the PS remit - reporrtng on local news, promoting the Irish language etc. Why then can they not double up as the west/nw/sw correspondents? Its not like they cant speak English and are reporting on the same stuff anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I definitely get a lot of information from RTE on a daily basis.
    retalivity wrote: »
    Rte already have multiple people employed in donegal/galway/kerry working for RnaG/TG4 - at least these are meeting the PS remit - reporrtng on local news, promoting the Irish language etc. Why then can they not double up as the west/nw/sw correspondents? Its not like they cant speak English and are reporting on the same stuff anyway...

That's worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Maybe they do .... to mis-inform the people of this country.
    Or only provide one-sided liberal-left skewed information, which is suited to a small minority.

Lotta sweeping generalisations in previous posts .....RTE do good public service broadcasting ..Elections / Weather Events / Coronavirus / Major international events etc.

To say otherwise is rubbish...and the listnership figures would appear to back this up.

If a privately funded media outfit wants to pay it's presenters massive wedges...that is their business....more luck to all concerned !

But for a partially State funded media outfit like RTE to pay huge salaries to a large coterie of people who are at best competent in what they do ...and then come looking for more funding from the hard pressed tax payer is just not on !

I am very surprised that they even get a hearing without having to put their house in order first....I really am.

A few from this evening's News I don't think were mentioned above

Kate Egan
    Claire McNamara
    Tommy Mescall

Orla O Donnell
    Sharon Gaffney
    Dave Kelly

Updated list of 51 correspondents so far!!!

RTÉ correspondent list;

Tony Connolly - Europe
    Michael Lihane - Politics
    Seán MAC an tSÍTHIGH
    Pascal Sheehy - Southern
    Ingrid Miley - Industry & Employment
    Theresa Manion - West
    Paul Cunningham - Politics
    Sean Whelan - London
    George Lee - Science
    Ciaran Mullooly -
    Samantha Librairi
    Vincent Kearney - Northern Ireland
    Tommy Gorman - Belfast
    Emma O’Kelly - Education?
    Brian O’Donovan - Washington/U.S.
    Juliet Gash
    Albha Kineally
    Eleanor Mannion
    Fran McNulty - Agriculture
    Dimitri O’Donnell
    Eamonn Horan
    Conor Kane - Southeast
    Pat McGrath - Western
    Kathy O’Halloran
    Robert Short - Economics
    Sinead Crowley
    Helen Donohue
    Conor Hunt
    Fergal O’Brien
    Sinead Hussey
    Jackie Fox
    Laura Fletcher
    Gail Conway
    Justin Treacy - Sport?
    Philip Bromwell
    Fergal Bowers - Health
    Dyane Connor
    John Kilraine
    Coleman O'Sullivan
    Joe Stack - Sport (and Kerry lotto)
    Eileen Magnier
    Adam McGuire
    Aengus Cox
    Petula Martyn
    Brian Finn
    Kate Egan
    Claire McNamara
    Tommy Mescall
    Orla O Donnell
    Sharon Gaffney
    Dave Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Do you really need Tommy just for Belfast and Vincent for the rest of NI - i mean how much news actually happens outside Belfast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Why do they need several news readers for the 6:01 news, just need one to read whats on the teleprompter, dont need some one else to tell us the weather either, just a 30 second brief forecast from the news reader will do, you would think Ireland was a large as Russia the way they go on, nearly a county by county forecast, Ireland is a small country, watching USA TV if they reported the weather in the same detail as RTE it would take 30 minutes just to do Texas never mind the entire country

Advertisement