Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

That's the difference between RTE and the BBC the unconnected youth from all regions of the country are given a chance

The results speak for themselves

They tried that years ago and now Pascal Sheehy and Ciaran Mullouley have been with them ever since. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why won't the Government have the law on data protection changed to ensure that Sky and cable TV subscribers can't evade the licence fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,467 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why won't the Government have the law on data protection changed to ensure that Sky and cable TV subscribers can't evade the licence fee?

What do you mean - Virgin have to supply their subscribers.

Came across this trying to check if the above is still the case
    http://www.thejournal.ie/tv-licence-3322048-Apr2017/
    Don't remember ever reading about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

fritzelly wrote: »
    What do you mean - Virgin have to supply their subscribers.

Came across this trying to check if the above is still the case
    http://www.thejournal.ie/tv-licence-3322048-Apr2017/
    Don't remember ever reading about it.

A plan to compel Sky and Virgin (formerly UPC) to supply data on customers so that any of them that were evading the licence fee could be tracked down was shot down because Sky and Virgin wouldn't go against data protection.

Surely, TV subscription companies don't want to be accused of protecting licence-fee evaders, do they?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Surely, TV subscription companies don't want to be accused of protecting licence-fee evaders, do they?!
    Why would they give a fcuk?

Make RTE a subscription service and let those who want to use their sub par service pay for it.

Joke of an organisation. A corrupt, closed shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Make RTE a subscription service and let those who want to use their sub par service pay for it.

If they did that, they'd swiftly go the way of Irish tv...dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The artists get paid a fee for the Eurovision. Slightly surprising,I would have thought they'd be happy with the publicity.

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/revealed-how-much-rte-spent-on-irelands-eurovision-entry-37134468.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That'll never happen.

That'll never happen.
    Agreed. They wouldn't last very long in their current guise if it did.

The reality is that is should be scaled back to one television channel (for unbiased news and documentaries), and maybe two radio stations (one for news and current affairs and a music station).

The utter talentless dross that populates our airwaves, earning unbelievably inflated salaries, should each be told at the next contract review that salaries are capped at €100k - don't like it, fcuk off to the BBC then if you're so worth the money!

Massive waste of taxpayer's money. Funding the lifestyles of a select few who consider themselves the elites. It's a fcuking scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The reality us that is should be scaled back to one television channel (for unbiased news and documentaries), and maybe two radio stations (one for news and current affairs and a music station).

Unbiased news, does that even exist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

A plan to compel Sky and Virgin (formerly UPC) to supply data on customers so that any of them that were evading the licence fee could be tracked down was shot down because Sky and Virgin wouldn't go against data protection.

that doesnt make any sense. it would be like asking topaz etc to give data so you could catch people for motor tax. its got nothing to do with them

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Well, as best as a National Broadcaster can. Shouldn't we at least expect that of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its a dangerous move by RTE as they will then be fully accountable to any number of dail committees regards spending.

Also makes it far easier to gut RTE in an effort to win votes as it then can really become an election issue, which we all are hopeful actually happens.

They'd probably end up being another public body that comes looking for more funding each year instead of cutting costs and running like a proper business !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

grahambo wrote: »
    Dee Forbes is at it again over the TV licence fee.

Whinging the €60m wasn't collected and RTE cannot compete.

That's about 375,00 homes not paying the fee, so evasion is about 15%

The whole TV licence thing REALLY bugs me.
    I don't watch RTE, not even for the Soccer/GAA. I might listen to the radio when I drive the car in the morning (which is once a blue moon)
    I don't use the service, why the hell should I have to pay for it!

Obviously we cannot get rid of RTE as there are a great many people that do use the service.
    That being said massive reforms are needed.
    Firstly, do we really need RTE1 and RTE2? One channel would be enough.
    Same with the radio stations, we only need one.
    Do we REALLY need TG4?

The land they are on as well is ridiculous, some of the most valuable land in the country. They don't need to be there, they could be out in Athlone or somewhere an no one would know the difference.

And then there's the salaries of the bigshots
    Ryan Tubridy - €500,000 per year is the biggest Joke of all
    That salary puts him on a par with the likes of Claudia Winkleman, Alan Shearer, Fiona Bruce of the BBC.
    He is nothing compared to them.
    BBC can justify big salaries as it is broadcast around the world, and the content is generally quite good.
    No one outside of Ireland know's who Tubb's is.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/rte-director-general-calls-for-changes-in-tv-licence-fee-as-60m-uncollected-annually-840770.html

Excellent assessment of RTE and a very good point, RTE doesnt need to be in Montrose (other than it suits the D4 presenters and high up staff), the lands should be sold off and turned into a semi state body and if there is a licence fee it should go to all irish based tv and radio stations for public service.
    The fact that tubbers is on half a million euro a year stinks to high hell, d'arcy the same, marion finnucane takes the biscuit altogether
    RTE 2 and TG4 should be merged and 2fm needs to be closed down, it serves no purpose.
    a radical overhaul is required, not the DG whinging that she cant collect the licence fee, it would remind you of penal times when the aristocracy used to take money off the peasants just because they could....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And RTE know it.
    And the government knows it.

Let's be honest about it. When the government caves in to Dee Forbes and increases the TV license in order to thicken the RTE gravy train, we will be assured that cost savings will be expected from RTE, which of course will never happen.
    This will be repeated every couple of years and "the people" will be forced to acquiesce to this unjust government tax every time.

The television license is an archaic concept, which has no place in modern (Internet) times. If people want to view Irish programming/current affairs, then let them pay for it on a subscription basis. I would do that.
    But €160 per year is a rip-off tax and does not represent value for money.

Make RTE a subscription and ad-based entity.
    They will survive, as they will cut the fat (and there is so much of it there) and they will be market-forced to provide a much better service than is currently provided.

Well, as best as a National Broadcaster can. Shouldn't we at least expect that of them?

theres no such thing as unbiased news, id imagine rte isnt as bad as other national broadcasters, a lot of backlash happening at the moment with organisations such as the bbc over biased reporting

Kivaro wrote: »
    And RTE know it.
    And the government knows it.

Let's be honest about it. When the government caves in to Dee Forbes and increases the TV license in order to thicken the RTE gravy train, we will be assured that cost savings will be expected from RTE, which of course will never happen.
    This will be repeated every couple of years and "the people" will be forced to acquiesce to this unjust government tax every time.

The television license is an archaic concept, which has no place in modern (Internet) times. If people want to view Irish programming/current affairs, then let them pay for it on a subscription basis. I would do that.
    But €160 per year is a rip-off tax and does not represent value for money.

Make RTE a subscription and ad-based entity.
    They will survive, as they will cut the fat (and there is so much of it there) and they will be market-forced to provide a much better service than is currently provided.

When the subject of the inflated wages of the RTE presenters is brought to the fore, there is this scaremongering that tubbers will go elsewhere if he doesnt get paid what he thinks hes worth, but wheres he going to go? let him anyway would be my view.... i'm sure there must be some good up and coming talent that would do the job for a heck of a lot less... joe duffy, marion finnucane etc, they are all well over the hill at this stage, a representation of institutional ireland where the likes were untouchable, that day is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

When the subject of the inflated wages of the RTE presenters is brought to the fore, there is this scaremongering that tubbers will go elsewhere if he doesnt get paid what he thinks hes worth, but wheres he going to go? let him anyway would be my view.... i'm sure there must be some good up and coming talent that would do the job for a heck of a lot less... joe duffy, marion finnucane etc, they are all well over the hill at this stage, a representation of institutional ireland where the likes were untouchable, that day is gone

Let them sling their hook and see if they are as "in-demand" as the make out to be.

New talent it being stiffled in order to pay for the likes of Tubridy and O'Callaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

theres no such thing as unbiased news, id imagine rte isnt as bad as other national broadcasters, a lot of backlash happening at the moment with organisations such as the bbc over biased reporting

I'd be of the opinion rte pretty much copy cat other news channels like sky and the bbc and regurgitate what they are spewing, even here they are known for neglecting to broadcast things that effect the Irish people, vera Toomey was a shocking one,other broadcasters in the UK had reported before rte did.

In saying that their debates on the 8th amendment seemed unbiased and fair enough for leaving out the pro choice debator when the pro life one walked out

will56 wrote: »
    Let them sling their hook and see if they are as "in-demand" as the make out to be.

New talent it being stiffled in order to pay for the likes of Tubridy and O'Callaghan

Couldnt agree more, look what happened to Pat Kenny when he threw a tantrum, granted, hes a good broadcaster and i'm sure hes still well paid at newstalk but he had to go around the houses for a while with utv ireland, tv3 etc, these people are more expendable as they think

• Advertisement

Okay, let me rephrase that for you....

One channel providing their best attempt at unbiased, fair and balanced news and documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Don't forget Joe fecking Duffy.

Okay, let me rephrase that for you....

One channel providing their best attempt at unbiased, fair and balanced news and documentaries.

does this actually exist anywhere on this planet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Excellent assessment of RTE and a very good point, RTE doesnt need to be in Montrose (other than it suits the D4 presenters and high up staff), the lands should be sold off and turned into a semi state body and if there is a licence fee it should go to all irish based tv and radio stations for public service.
    The fact that tubbers is on half a million euro a year stinks to high hell, d'arcy the same, marion finnucane takes the biscuit altogether
    RTE 2 and TG4 should be merged and 2fm needs to be closed down, it serves no purpose.
    a radical overhaul is required, not the DG whinging that she cant collect the licence fee, it would remind you of penal times when the aristocracy used to take money off the peasants just because they could....
    Agree for the most part, though as is if I'm correct tg4 barely get a pittance from the licence fee - considering that they do a good job create a good deal of their own content and generally stick to their remit of promoting the Irish language. I've pretty much stopped watching all TV the last few years though so can't say for certain if that is still the case, but what tg4 do/did with their money is basically what rte should be doing with theirs, rather than using our licence money to outbid tv3 for American sitcom and British soaps (as well as those absurd salaries), then having nothing left to actually do anything of use with and deciding the best answer is to demand more money instead. Sweet feck all of which will go into their own productions (and thus yielding and developing a national industry, while employing people within that industry), no doubt.

RTE is an utter cancer though, the only fix at this rate is forcibly abolishing the whole thing because I guarantee you as good as nobody in there gives a single f*ck, either about the state of affairs or about that they or actual job is supposed to be. That's how the Irish public sector works (or rather, doesn't).

does this actually exist anywhere on this planet?

The thread is generally about whether or not RTE is fit for purpose (it isn't) and if the licence fee is value for money (fcuk no!).

I really don't give a sh!t if you think "theres no such thing as unbiased news"or if "this actually exist(s) anywhere on this planet". The least we can expect from a publicly funded national broadcaster is their best attempt at same.

One word in a single post and the topic of the thread gets sidelined!

The thread is generally about whether or not RTE is fit for purpose (it isn't) and if the licence fee is value for money (fcuk no!).

I really don't give a sh!t if you think "theres no such thing as unbiased news"or if "this actually exist(s) anywhere on this planet". The least we can expect from a publicly funded national broadcaster is their best attempt at same.

One word in a single post and the topic of the thread gets sidelined!

fair enough, thanks!

fair enough, thanks!
    Apologies, that came across badly.

What I meant was that it's a little pedantic, and disingenuous to read a post, ignore the jist of the post and focus on a single word, almost unrelated to the topic and the points being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What “new talent” is this you speak about.

Who are they?

Any names?

I totally agree Tubbridy and Miriam are grossly overpaid, but leaving that aside, who are these new talent you are so anxious to “unstiffle” (sic)?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Not in the Irish media for sure. The problem is they all sing the same song on the karaoke machine.

• Advertisement

What “new talent” is this you speak about.

Who are they?

Any names?

I totally agree Tubbridy and Miriam are grossly overpaid, but leaving that aside, who are these new talent you are so anxious to “unstiffle” (sic)?

we dont know who the talent is because they never get a chance... the only new "talent" they have rolled out lately are gerry ryans daughter and mileys daughter from glenroe

Advertisement