Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 leoXX

fritzelly wrote: »
    Great night of entertainment on RTE - all repeats (like pretty much every night)
    Makes you wonder where all the money is spent

A 35 year old epp of only fools and horses on a primetime Friday night slot on RTE One. FacePalm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What about dancing with the stars type programing or the fat people losing weight, are they culturally necessary?

So what, you want RTE just to be specific to your exact tastes?

I would expect those two shows are probably amoung the higher rating shows. They are also using Irish "stars" and Irish people.

It is not this type of show that I have an issue with, people seem to like it and it serves a purposes. THe farming shows, the building etc are all watched by people. Plus I doubt they cost massive money.

What prupose does 2FM serve? its just a sh*t version of every pop station in Ireland. Based on recent surveys the age profile they are after listen to more local than national radio. Its listeners are in decline for years and they are no longer self funded. That is what I call a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Shefwedfan wrote: »

I would expect those two shows are probably amoung the higher rating shows. They are also using Irish "stars" and Irish people.

It is not this type of show that I have an issue with, people seem to like it and it serves a purposes. THe farming shows, the building etc are all watched by people. Plus I doubt they cost massive money.

What prupose does 2FM serve? its just a sh*t version of every pop station in Ireland. Based on recent surveys the age profile they are after listen to more local than national radio. Its listeners are in decline for years and they are no longer self funded. That is what I call a waste of money.

Plus the thing about Operation Transformation is that the whole ethos of the show ie 'change bad habits, change lifestyles, lose weight' has had questionable results.

I mean, we saw how Biggest Loser was kind of a mess, tbh. Folks relapsed not long after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Just on the farming programme there, imv it doesn't serve the majority of farmers in this country. Its all about the big operators the guys farming 5/600 acres and more, the huge operations+its increasingly dealing with subjects on the periphery of farming also why do they need 3 presenters when 1 or 2 could do the job adequately and from what I can see they take every opertunity to send these presenters abroad for programmes, France, Russia, Australia off the top of my head iv seen them recently. I may be wrong I doubt they're cheap to make

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Caspian Petite Corner

Why is state funding being used to fund commercial activities?

RTÉ use public money to outbid other private broadcasters for programming.

RTÉ should be slashed down to one single channel and used solely for news bulletins, weather, crimecall and ministerial speeches and debates and presidential campaigns etc.

this...they should cut rte 2 and only have 1 tv and 1 radio station, improve/fix the player and stick the stuff on rte 2 on there and charge say a tenner a month ala netflix

Rte1 should be news/crimecall/irish documentaries/movies/shows/irish sport, and not imports from UK/USA which are on about 5 different stations already...slot them on to the player

Amy Huberman/Bernard O'Shea/anna Geary/social media influencers etc are not culturally relevant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

leoXX wrote: »
    A 35 year old epp of only fools and horses on a primetime Friday night slot on RTE One. FacePalm

In fairness the later episodes are pure ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Just on the farming programme there, imv it doesn't serve the majority of farmers in this country. Its all about the big operators the guys farming 5/600 acres and more, the huge operations+its increasingly dealing with subjects on the periphery of farming also why do they need 3 presenters when 1 or 2 could do the job adequately and from what I can see they take every opertunity to send these presenters abroad for programmes, France, Russia, Australia off the top of my head iv seen them recently. I may be wrong I doubt they're cheap to make

Those are the lads wearing the Dairymaster jacket and rubbing shoulders with Phil Hogan I suppose. It's all about putting tons of cheap food on the table for the EU and keeping the money spinner going

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

this...they should cut rte 2 and only have 1 tv and 1 radio station, improve/fix the player and stick the stuff on rte 2 on there and charge say a tenner a month ala netflix

And those should be TG4 & RnaG.

Or keep 2 of each, in English and Irsh.
    An RTE1 focused on producing content that promotes Irish content, news & current affairs, & public service broadcasting, along with TG4 doing similar as gaeilge.
    RTE radio 1 I think is in a lot better shape than its television counterparts, with the exception of the wages that some are trousering. RnaG as well, which can also be quite eclectic at certain times.

retalivity wrote: »
    And those should be TG4 & RnaG.

Or keep 2 of each, in English and Irsh.
    An RTE1 focused on producing content that promotes Irish content, news & current affairs, & public service broadcasting, along with TG4 doing similar as gaeilge.
    RTE radio 1 I think is in a lot better shape than its television counterparts, with the exception of the wages that some are trousering. RnaG as well, which can also be quite eclectic at certain times.

BBC have cut 2 channels in the past decade-BBC3 and BBC 4. Both were loss makers, failing to appeal to the targeted audience.

On the other hand, RTE haven't cut a single one, despite RTE 2 being a dumping ground for stuff that's already been shown on the RTE player. (IF you can get it to work, the player that is).

TG4...same story. Repeats, after repeats... some programs 50 plus years old.
    A waste of money, and a continual loss maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

BBC4 hasn't been cut
    BBC3 went "online" - was talk of bringing it back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 leoXX

TG4 get a lot of praise but their standard has fallen a lot too in recent years. One time they produced a lot of new talent and came up with very innovative programs but nowadays they are very dependent on Reruns of Murder she wrote and the Gilmore Girls

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Performance related pay is the way forward.
    If you bring in a huge audience , you get paid as such.
    If a Niche market you get paid as such.
    RTE is paying top dollar for presenters in a Niche market, its madness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Caspian Petite Corner

da_miser wrote: »

it would be rather better no one gets paid over 100,000 for the job their in....if bbc/itv/virgin/elsewhere wants them....let them...don't fall for them stating they've "opportunities" elsewhere...tell them to jog on if 100grand doesnt appeal to them...im sure they could pull some younger replacements for less money out of media/journalism school or local radio stations...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

BBC4 is quality television. If if is under threat it is because they are eyeing up the budget for more of this race to the bottom pap, to chase viewers with moronic shows like love island, x factor etc.

People need to be careful what they wish for. Look at the state of channnel 4. Once an innovator.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thanks - hadn't heard about that

44 million a year seems like nothing
    How much does RTE2 get? Similar viewership. Schedule basically consisting of imported TV shows from years ago
    They have the News now and Oireachtas (seriously whats the point) channels that could be used for the football and special events

it would be rather better no one gets paid over 100,000 for the job their in....if bbc/itv/virgin/elsewhere wants them....let them...don't fall for them stating they've "opportunities" elsewhere...tell them to jog on if 100grand doesnt appeal to them...im sure they could pull some younger replacements for less money out of media/journalism school or local radio stations...

Anyone with a C in the Leaving cert could be a news reader, €40k a year for the job, if you excel you move up in RTE to a better role, its madness paying €100k+ for someone to read a script.
    If they feel undervalued , then best of luck fûck off and test the free market.

Whatever happens to rte in the longrun I wouldn't like to see it go down this route. This would just result in a race to harvest the common denominater. There are enough channels for this besides a national broadcaster going down that road. The whole pay structure and the ridiculous sums paid out to mediocre at best presenters has to be dealt with sooner or later I agree but rte must maintain its identity as a national broadcaster and sometimes that may involve "niche" programming as you call it otherwise what is the point of its existence at all

Anyone with a C in the Leaving cert could be a news reader, €40k a year for the job, if you excel you move up in RTE to a better role, its madness paying €100k+ for someone to read a script.
    If they feel undervalued , then best of luck fûck off and test the free market.

A bit elitist there. Tests are only good at proving folks are good at tests.

Tommy Tiernan has admitted he was a poor student, but his chat show was one of the best things RTE had produced. And it had little to no expense, compared to the 'posh, highly educated' Tubridy.

Whatever happens to rte in the longrun I wouldn't like to see it go down this route. This would just result in a race to harvest the common denominater. There are enough channels for this besides a national broadcaster going down that road. The whole pay structure and the ridiculous sums paid out to mediocre at best presenters has to be dealt with sooner or later I agree but rte must maintain its identity as a national broadcaster and sometimes that may involve "niche" programming as you call it otherwise what is the point of its existence at all

This is a RTE "star" alt account

• Advertisement

A bit elitist there. Tests are only good at proving folks are good at tests.

Tommy Tiernan has admitted he was a poor student, but his chat show was one of the best things RTE had produced. And it had little to no expense, compared to the 'posh, highly educated' Tubridy.

Another RTE alt account.
    Anyone with a leaving cert could be a RTE presenter on 40k a year and still stealing a living

fritzelly wrote: »
    Thanks - hadn't heard about that

44 million a year seems like nothing
    How much does RTE2 get? Similar viewership. Schedule basically consisting of imported TV shows from years ago
    They have the News now and Oireachtas (seriously whats the point) channels that could be used for the football and special events

BBC 3 and BBC 4 were pretty much started to try and capture the younger audience.

Unfortunately, that didn't work. So instead it often shows repeats of dramas or documentaries, many of which one can find on youtube.

It's just the way technology/ media goes... a once thriving media (in this case, television, though you can factor in radio too) gets replaced by a new media (the internet, streaming services, spotify, podcasts, etc etc and they'll get replaced in the future too).

Television almost killed cinemas, and did enormous damage to radio. RTE's operating in a dying medium... they're not adapting, they're devolving.

Another RTE alt account.
    Anyone with a leaving cert could be a RTE presenter on 40k a year and still stealing a living

You're paranoid-I've been denouncing RTE for a long while.

This is a RTE "star" alt account

Ah for heavens sake I've heard it all now

Ah for heavens sake I've heard it all now

Did ya not hear? The fella who's been signed up since April of this year thinks we work for RTE.

Couldn't be further from the truth...

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to influence the US election for 2020.... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Minister stands by attack on RTE 'cocaine snorters'.
    Well, it would explain a lot of things at RTE.

For example, it would explain why Dee Forbes wants more money from us; cocaine ain't cheap you know.
    It would explain why the service RTE provides to the public is so poor in quality, and the removal/gutting of TG4 and programs that had value.
    It would explain why their 'stars' and overpaid presenters have this "lofty" air about themselves.
    And it would explain the nonsensical policies that RTE formulate at their meetings and then bombard the public and the gullible Irish politicians incessantly in order to get them enacted in Irish society.

Wonder can RTE employees add cocaine as an expense when submitting their weekly expenses?

Kivaro wrote: »

For example, it would explain why Dee Forbes wants more money from us; cocaine ain't cheap you know.
    It would explain why the service RTE provides to the public is so poor in quality, and the removal/gutting of TG4 and programs that had value.
    It would explain why their 'stars' and overpaid presenters have this "lofty" air about themselves.
    And it would explain the nonsensical policies that RTE formulate at their meetings and then bombard the public and the gullible Irish politicians incessantly in order to get them enacted in Irish society.

Wonder can RTE employees add cocaine as an expense when submitting their weekly expenses?

Funny how RTE always have something to say, but when contacted about the article their response was 'No comment'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Kivaro wrote: »

Funny how RTE always have something to say, but when contacted about the article their response was 'No comment'.

Just to clarify that you are quoting a piece of unsubstantiated nonsense from Frankie Feighan.

https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/39772-minister-of-state-for-drugs-policy-stands-by-attack-on-rte-cocaine-snorter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

elperello wrote: »
    Just to clarify that you are quoting a piece of unsubstantiated nonsense from Frankie Feighan.

https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/39772-minister-of-state-for-drugs-policy-stands-by-attack-on-rte-cocaine-snorter

Ah you're gas, as usual. Yep, there's no way an organisation in D.4 with a high proportion of very well paid middle class employees/contractors, would have any problem with a class A drug generally considered to be the drug of choice of the rich, cool and trendy. Absolutely no way. It's a total non story...right?

Maybe that's the problem. Perhaps management are so out of their faces that they are incapable of doing their jobs. Hence the basket-case that RTE have become. And make no mistake, it is a basket-case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We all remember this clip of Dunphy on the LLS dropping more than mischievous hint.

Listen from 4:15 or so

https://youtu.be/OWrQ-oWJpR0

Advertisement