Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

When you see it in regular use in the average bar its not a far stretch to believe its well used in RTE
    He's not the first person to bring it up about RTE and it's not like RTE don't have form in this area...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It’s boards so you cannot confirm or deny these rumours about drug taking

All I can say is I do know Conor and Ryan have been known to be drinking buddies.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

NIMAN wrote: »
    We all remember this clip of Dunphy on the LLS dropping more than mischievous hint.

Listen from 4:15 or so

Yep, Eamonn has admitted to doing drugs, his famous 'you can't get good coke in Dublin' quote is probably his best known phrase.

He claims he quit shortly after the death of Gerry Ryan. Eamonn I mean.

And Lillie's Bordello... God, was there ever a dive bar that catered for a hive of scumbags and villains than that place?
    Nobody ever gave it a decent review, it just became known for coke heads so out of it they couldn't' tell it was a s**t house.

Overcharged for drinks, crap servers, hassled by bouncers... a dive.

I know there are some places around Ireland where they've started putting vaseline on the toilets so folks can't snort off of them. The 'powder' sticks there.

Other places, especially ladies toilets (friends have told me, I don't hang around in ladies restrooms-I'm not a creep) are notorious for coke residue being pretty much all over the facilities.
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It’s boards so you cannot confirm or deny these rumours about drug taking

All I can say is I do know Conor and Ryan have been known to be drinking buddies.....

Conor who?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Ah you're gas, as usual. Yep, there's no way an organisation in D.4 with a high proportion of very well paid middle class employees/contractors, would have any problem with a class A drug generally considered to be the drug of choice of the rich, cool and trendy. Absolutely no way. It's a total non story...right?

Maybe that's the problem. Perhaps management are so out of their faces that they are incapable of doing their jobs. Hence the basket-case that RTE have become. And make no mistake, it is a basket-case.

Gas is right, you'd need a sense of humour around here.

I just put up a proper link to show the source.

If you think Frankie is "the man" go ahead.

For me, this boils down to two simple facts

1. A number of people in RTE are paid ridiculous sums of money compared to what they are worth
    2. RTE has made no effort to reduce its cost base, even during a time of massive COVID-19 induced pressure

I count myself as lucky - I still have a job, albeit with a pay cut, and am ostensibly on reduced hours. There’s still the same amount of work to get through. Many people are far less fortunate, having lost their job. It seems to me that RTE is insulated from the real world. I don’t wish anyone to be unfairly treated in these sort of circumstances, but I do expect a “share the pain” approach.

It’s not possible for me to apply for a job in RTE. I’ve no relatives working there

• Advertisement

For me, this boils down to two simple facts

I count myself as lucky - I still have a job, albeit with a pay cut, and am ostensibly on reduced hours. There’s still the same amount of work to get through. Many people are far less fortunate, having lost their job. It seems to me that RTE is insulated from the real world. I don’t wish anyone to be unfairly treated in these sort of circumstances, but I do expect a “share the pain” approach.

It’s not possible for me to apply for a job in RTE. I’ve no relatives working there

I know a few people who work with TG4 and Virgin Media 1. Managed to get jobs behind the scenes, not 'in front of the camera' talent, but behind the scenes stuff like boom mike operators, production assistants on the floor, etc etc.

Despite it's complete disconnect with the audience, UTV Ireland allowed a few people I know to get their foot in the door of television production. Sadly, when the company died a death, so did their media careers.
    (Some got receptionist jobs, but I'd say their blacklisted by folks like RTE).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭bigroad

Sure what do they need advertising for as Dee will go crying to the government cap in hand for another bailout.
    If they were to hire a few kids studying accounts in secondary school ,Rte would have no financial problems.
    Its quiet obvious senior management are not fit for purpose and should be let go if they cannot meet their targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Why the hell do they need that many cars???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

fritzelly wrote: »

Yeah I can kind of understand 2rn's need for vehicles but "which comprises 60 corporate vehicles"

60 corporate vehicles!

Why dont they just use leaseplan?

It's 1.8 m over 3 years for 102 vehicles

That's 5,882 per vehicle per car per year.

Question still remains 60 corporate cars. 60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

RTE believe that they are untouchable and so will do whatever they want.
    How many licenses does it take to pay for those "60 corporate vehicles and 42 mainly four-wheel-drive vehicles" (from the link)?

It is also seeking an extra €55m a year from the Government to plug the hole in its finances, having recorded a deficit of €13m in 2018 - its fourth year in a row in the red. (Also from the link).

RTE = one huge money hole.

Average car has a good life span of 8 years with needing minimal servicing - so why is it costing nearly 600k a year
    Why does 2rn need 31 Mitsubishi Pajero's? What's wrong with bog standard vans - assume they are not chauffering people around and just used for engineering works

Average car has a good life span of 8 years with needing minimal servicing - so why is it costing nearly 600k a year
    Why does 2rn need 31 Mitsubishi Pajero's? What's wrong with bog standard vans - assume they are not chauffering people around and just used for engineering works

I think RTÉ are run like the civil service. Every division gets money to spend an it must be spent by the end of they otherwise its return back to main funding.

So you find that divisions will look for ways to spend money unnecessarily because their vote might be reduce next year. Rather than looking at what saving were made by a particular division, the financial division looks accross all divisions and if any of them have not spend all of their vote the following year that vote is decrease by the amount that the failed to spend.

So rather then looking at how one division made saving and heaping praise on them for a job well done and saying to all other divisions "that by examining the saving made in division A we have now decided that these sames savings can be made across almost all other divisions with a few exceptions".

Instead they ask you were given x amount and didn't spend 1m of it, what are you doing, make sure you spend all of your funding.

So in the same way RTÉ have 102 vehicles and rather then asking do we really need 60 corporate cars, they say we've always had 60 corporate cars we must continue with this policy.

Elmo wrote: »
    I think RTÉ are run like the civil service. Every division gets money to spend an it must be spent by the end of they otherwise its return back to main funding.

So you find that divisions will look for ways to spend money unnecessarily because their vote might be reduce next year. Rather than looking at what saving were made by a particular division, the financial division looks accross all divisions and if any of them have not spend all of their vote the following year that vote is decrease by the amount that the failed to spend.

So rather then looking at how one division made saving and heaping praise on them for a job well done and saying to all other divisions "that by examining the saving made in division A we have now decided that these sames savings can be made across almost all other divisions with a few exceptions".

Instead they ask you were given x amount and didn't spend 1m of it, what are you doing, make sure you spend all of your funding.

So in the same way RTÉ have 102 vehicles and rather then asking do we really need 60 corporate cars, they say we've always had 60 corporate cars we must continue with this policy.

This is how RTE is run, spend it or next year you wont get it. So if you get a budget of 100k then spend it because if you only spend 80k then next year you will only get 80k

This is where the mighty Dee Forbes is supposed to come in and drive cost savings across the business. So instead of giving incentives to the people to spend all the budget, give them incentives to save money.

This will never happen unless the government cuts them off, it is all to easy to walk up the road and get a couple of million with some BS excuse and waddle off back down with the pockets full.....

RTE doesn't need 102 vehicles. It would be interesting to see what is the exact purpose of those cars? what is the usage of the cars every year for business. Its not like they are out driving the countryside making TV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I hope it turns out that one of those corporate cars is a big filthy Merc/BMW, and its given to Dee, while she still gets a €30,000 annual car allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Mr. Karate wrote: »

Hardly seeing as it hasn't happened yet.

• Advertisement

It's hardly relevant. 500 people in Croke Park because of social distancing... it's kind of irrelevant.

There's probably more staff employed to maintain Croke Park than will be on the pitch.

Rte launching a new show called 'Boost my business'...

Taking advice from RTE (a failing entity) on how to make your own company not fail has to be like taking advice on Abstinence from Bristol Palin.

It's joke... unless Dee Forbes is the first guest.

https://about.rte.ie/2020/07/06/new-rte-series-open-for-business-to-guide-and-inform-the-business-community-consumers-as-the-country-emerges-from-lockdown-is-announced/

Rte launching a new show called 'Boost my business'...

Taking advice from RTE (a failing entity) on how to make your own company not fail has to be like taking advice on Abstinence from Bristol Palin.

It's joke... unless Dee Forbes is the first guest.

https://about.rte.ie/2020/07/06/new-rte-series-open-for-business-to-guide-and-inform-the-business-community-consumers-as-the-country-emerges-from-lockdown-is-announced/

Reminds me of How to be Good With Money - dumb program telling people if you want to have a nest egg you need to save money - well d'oh - and other useless tidbits of financial advice. Always thought the Eoin guy was a condescending twat

Reminds me of How to be Good With Money - dumb program telling people if you want to have a nest egg you need to save money - well d'oh - and other useless tidbits of financial advice. Always thought the Eoin guy was a condescending twat

Plus you can gather that many of those they 'vet' before bringing them on the show are total idiots.

I'm an idiot when it comes to saving money, but even those shows make me feel smart.

Maybe that's why RTE commission them?

(And yeah... that Eoin guy. HE reminds of the worst of John McGuire and Eddie Hobbs).

I liked him, better than half the sh*t on rte

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

On the cars thing wtf do they need and articulated tractor for? Is that just for mowing the lawns in Donnybrook?

I would have thought way less cars and far more vans or pickups would be required tbh. Carting all the gear around would be the main use, no?

On the cars thing wtf do they need and articulated tractor for? Is that just for mowing the lawns in Donnybrook?

I would have thought way less cars and far more vans or pickups would be required tbh. Carting all the gear around would be the main use, no?

You cant expect RTE staff to drive in vans

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

da_miser wrote: »
    Another RTE alt account.
    Anyone with a leaving cert could be a RTE presenter on 40k a year and still stealing a living

actually, they couldn't, at least if rte actually made an effort to insure the presenters they picked were good all of the time, rather then having the odd few.
    PieOhMy wrote: »

yes, they are refusing to advertise a competitor.
    not seeing the problem.
    bigroad wrote: »
    Sure what do they need advertising for as Dee will go crying to the government cap in hand for another bailout.
    If they were to hire a few kids studying accounts in secondary school ,Rte would have no financial problems.
    Its quiet obvious senior management are not fit for purpose and should be let go if they cannot meet their targets.

no i suspect they would be bankrupt altogether.
    kids in secondary school studying accounts are not qualified accountants.

because it has not happened, it's ultimately irrelevant, most don't actually care quite rightly.
    they reported it on the website, that should be enough for the few who really really care so much about it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

GMSA wrote: »

fleets need updating as older vehicles come to the end of their lives.

generally for engineers, technitions, reporters etc.
    people who have to travel around the country with their work as part of rte, for which the cars may require special equipment, or the ability to carry relevant equipment.
    Why dont they just use leaseplan?

perhapse the costs vs outright ownership didn't work in favour of it.

bog standard vans wouldn't be suitable for the work they do.
    they need such a vehicle or similar that they are getting as they may have to go up on the mountain sites in all sorts of conditions.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

It's hardly relevant. 500 people in Croke Park because of social distancing... it's kind of irrelevant.

There's probably more staff employed to maintain Croke Park than will be on the pitch.

They haven't following the procedures in the rest of Europe so its willfully ignorant that they'll follow them here. And its not like the Gardai will do anything to them.

Besides if the Govt and Media give you a figure you can be damn sure its double or triple what they told you.

Plus EID involves the slaughtering of animals [They slit the animals throats and let them slowly bleed out] Remember that if the Govt and Media are crying about someone having 1 pint too many or daring not to follow any of their other rules.

Advertisement