Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    They haven't following the procedures in the rest of Europe so its willfully ignorant that they'll follow them here. And its not like the Gardai will do anything to them.

Besides if the Govt and Media give you a figure you can be damn sure its double or triple what they told you.

Plus EID involves the slaughtering of animals [They slit the animals throats and let them slowly bleed out] Remember that if the Govt and Media are crying about someone having 1 pint too many or daring not to follow any of their other rules.

yes, they slaughter animals the way our grand parents did it.
    no, it's not nice at all but something tells me the only reason it outrages you is because it's muslims doing it.
    by the way, some not following the rules, indeed if they are breaking any rules, is not an excuse for others not to follow rules that definitely exist.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

no, it's not nice at all but something tells me the only reason it outrages you is because it's muslims doing it.
    by the way, some not following the rules, indeed if they are breaking any rules, is not an excuse for others not to follow rules that definitely exist.

Got to love the cowardice. Leftists are celebrating how progressive they are on one hand while celebrating a backwards and outdated practice on the other.

Got to love the cowardice. Leftists are celebrating how progressive they are on one hand while celebrating a backwards and outdated practice on the other.

has nothing to do with what i stated, but anyway.
    i am certainly not celebrating anything, i have no time for religion.
    however people have a right to believe in a religion an practice, within reason, customs that go with the religion, unless the customs are a breach of the law.

has nothing to do with what i stated, but anyway.
    i am certainly not celebrating anything, i have no time for religion.
    however people have a right to believe in a religion an practice, within reason, customs that go with the religion, unless the customs are a breach of the law.

Kind of ironic that the people who want religion banned from the public sphere have no problem with a certain group practicing there's publicly.

I guarantee all the "Its no big deal" Lefties would be having a fit if a Church wanted hold a rosary service in Croke Park instead of letting this group slaughter animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Kind of ironic that the people who want religion banned from the public sphere have no problem with a certain group practicing there's publicly.

I guarantee all the "Its no big deal" Lefties would be having a fit if a Church wanted hold a rosary service in Croke Park instead of letting this group slaughter animals.

Firstly, what you're arguing is irrelevant to this thread, it's more suited for somewhere else.

It's got nothing really to do with RTE.

Secondly, there will be no animal sacrifices in Croke Park-maybe stop reading the Liberal (dot) ie.
    (God, I hate using The Journal(dot) ie... but they fact checked this, at least).

https://www.thejournal.ie/eid-al-adha-croke-park-factcheck-5150881-Jul2020/

As for religious celebrations... many faiths spoke at commemoration event for lives lost during war was last Sunday.
    Nobody had an issue with it.

Time to move back on to the topic at hand. Denouncing RTE and their wasting funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Firstly, what you're arguing is irrelevant to this thread, it's more suited for somewhere else.

It's got nothing really to do with RTE.

Secondly, there will be no animal sacrifices in Croke Park-maybe stop reading the Liberal (dot) ie.
    (God, I hate using The Journal(dot) ie... but they fact checked this, at least).

https://www.thejournal.ie/eid-al-adha-croke-park-factcheck-5150881-Jul2020/

As for religious celebrations... many faiths spoke at commemoration event for lives lost during war was last Sunday.
    Nobody had an issue with it.

Time to move back on to the topic at hand. Denouncing RTE and their wasting funding.

I agree with this post except for the last sentence.

Is it ok if non-denouncers post too?

elperello wrote: »
    I agree with this post except for the last sentence.

Is it ok if non-denouncers post too?

Of course, polite discussion and polite disagreement are ways to grow. You may mutually agree on some things, mutually disagree on others, and be in absolute agreement on many other topics.

It's all good. I have no issue with someone's opinion, unless it's veering towards possible xenophobia... which is what I felt the person bringing up the Eid celebration was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Now the Angelus. That's an RTE religion waste of time we can all get fussy about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Now the Angelus. That's an RTE religion waste of time we can all get fussy about.

Hasn't been religious in a long time (excepting the whole origin of it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ckerryman

There was talk about 10 or 15 years ago, about getting rid of the Angelus, but Jews and Muslims spoke in defense of it and that was the end of the talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

The TV licence inspectors are out once more, free'd from their Covid bondage ready to wreak havoc amongst suburbia. I got a signed card in the door this evening. Next stop court maybe. Better dust off my Gary Doyle Order terminology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

But isn't the TV license worth it?
    If you take the "What it says in the papers" section on RTE Radio 1 news this morning, the presenter spent at least twice as much time on the major news story of how the statue of a black Black Lives Matter protester has replaced the statue that was torn down in Bristol recently.

So, it was deemed that this BLM Bristol news item deserved a great deal more time on the limited time-slot of this news section than the pause in the lifting of restrictions in Ireland, the possible loss of jobs in Ireland due to the pause, the Covid deaths in Ireland yesterday etc. etc.

It seems that presenters and reporters at RTE try to out-liberal each other in order to impress Dee and the board. And we get to pay for all of this nonsense? RTE is a very odd place.

Kivaro wrote: »
    But isn't the TV license worth it?
    If you take the "What it says in the papers" section on RTE Radio 1 news this morning, the presenter spent at least twice as much time on the major news story of how the statue of a black Black Lives Matter protester has replaced the statue that was torn down in Bristol recently.

So, it was deemed that this BLM Bristol news item deserved a great deal more time on the limited time-slot of this news section than the pause in the lifting of restrictions in Ireland, the possible loss of jobs in Ireland due to the pause, the Covid deaths in Ireland yesterday etc. etc.

It seems that presenters and reporters at RTE try to out-liberal each other in order to impress Dee and the board. And we get to pay for all of this nonsense? RTE is a very odd place.

talking about something for a short section does not equal that matter being more important then a subject they are already dedicating a huge amount of time to.
    rte cannot spend it's days talking about covid, there are other issues going on as well, which believe it or not, many of us are actually interested in.
    it's not all about you.

fran38 wrote: »
    The TV licence inspectors are out once more, free'd from their Covid bondage ready to wreak havoc amongst suburbia. I got a signed card in the door this evening. Next stop court maybe. Better dust off my Gary Doyle Order terminology.

Let the New Irish foot the bill for RTE now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

our grandparents also did many other awful things, beat their children, their wives, cockfighting, bull-baiting etc., we have tried to eradicate things like that

Let the New Irish foot the bill for RTE now.

You seem to have an issue with immigration, and that's irrelevant to the discussion.

goose2005 wrote: »
    our grandparents also did many other awful things, beat their children, their wives, cockfighting, bull-baiting etc., we have tried to eradicate things like that

Tbf, wife beaters were treated with as much 'respect' as someone who just pooed on your doorstep.

Plenty of folks would have a 'word' with them, or in many respects, the woman's family would step in-make threats and so on.
    Nobody looked positively upon those individuals.

And yeah, blood sports are... divisive, to say the least. I understand why they were popular before (not that I accept it), I don't understand why they are still popular.

Thread gone very quiet - is everyone at an house party?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Thread gone very quiet - is everyone at an house party?

That, or folks are in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Just listening to morning ireland ( I know, getting old lol) and I've noticed that apart from the 2 presenters there's also someone to read the news, someone to read out the traffic report and someone to read out what it says in the newspapers......seems like a lot of people?

Just heard someone else read out the sports now as well lol lol....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

gifted wrote: »
    Just listening to morning ireland ( I know, getting old lol) and I've noticed that apart from the 2 presenters there's also someone to read the news, someone to read out the traffic report and someone to read out what it says in the newspapers......seems like a lot of people?

Just heard someone else read out the sports now as well lol lol....

That's the setup for nearly all radio shows.

That, or folks are in bed.

Wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

From my recent interactions with RTÉ I have come to the conclusion that any hope of reform is absolutely unlikely.

RTÉ do not want to hear any criticism, they fail to know their audience, the Executive board seem only interested in creating strategy rather than implementing it. They fail complete to look at their services to see if each of the individual services are actually meeting their own strategy. (RTÉ services are very simple while wide, RTÉ TV (including Player), RTÉ Radio, RTÉ Performing Groups and 2rn (networks and infrastructure)).

The idea of ONE RTÉ is purely a publicity stunt, RTÉ believe whole heartily that they are providing the best service that they can and can only continue to provide this service if, and only if, they see an increase in funding, weather that is from reform of the licence fee or an increase in the licence fee.

In anything that I have read I have rarely if ever hear RTÉ state that if the did see an increase in funding that more programming/content would be produced.

Do you honestly think that if RTÉ saw an increase in funding that their news service would continue through the month of August?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

This is slightly off topic, my Aunt worked at RTE from the very late 60’s on wards
    I was talking to her yesterday. She mentioned that she only looks at the RTE headlines on her App. I Asked her, why she didn’t click the headline to read the story. She said RTE has had a heavy bias in news since she started working at RTE.
    Section 31 of the broadcasting act, made it much worst. My Aunt was very anti Provo, but still wanted her news honest.
    If You want, I can ask questions. The information will be 30 years old LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

TBF, 30 years ago it was all who you know, not what you know and nepotism was rife....wait a minute!

Bowie wrote: »
    TBF, 30 years ago it was all who you know, not what you know and nepotism was rife....wait a minute!

Well, that was the late 80s, early 90s.

Yet even then, RTE were head hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Well, that was the late 80s, early 90s.

Yet even then, RTE were head hunting.

That was the time they were claiming the BBC and ITV would steal Gerry Ryan and Pat Kenny if we lowered their salaries and a young Ryan Tubirdy was doing review spots on radio and television.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

This is slightly off topic, my Aunt worked at RTE from the very late 60’s on wards
    I was talking to her yesterday. She mentioned that she only looks at the RTE headlines on her App. I Asked her, why she didn’t click the headline to read the story. She said RTE has had a heavy bias in news since she started working at RTE.
    Section 31 of the broadcasting act, made it much worst. My Aunt was very anti Provo, but still wanted her news honest.
    If You want, I can ask questions. The information will be 30 years old LOL

I'd be interest in Eoghan Harris and a number of other producers in RTÉ, who would have had similar views to your aunt. Harris was part of a group in RTÉ that was associated with the Official Sinn Fein/Offical IRA/The Workers Party AKA the Stickies, they split from or Provisional Sinn Fein split from Sinn Fein the the 1970s. But also the Document from Lelia Doolan, Jack Dowling and Bob Quinn called "Sit Down and Be Counted", Doolan at the time would have been in a position to become DG by the 1970s had she stayed with the broadcaster. https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/681-history-of-rte/704-rte-1960s/330731-sit-down-and-be-counted/

Bowie wrote: »
    That was the time they were claiming the BBC and ITV would steal Gerry Ryan and Pat Kenny if we lowered their salaries and a young Ryan Tubirdy was doing review spots on radio and television.

And their salaries were nowhere near the exorbitant insult that they became. (Off topic, but it's kind of ironic, in hindsight, that Gerry Ryan presented a show called 'Gerry Ryan's Secrets'. Seemed he had quite a few of them).

It wasn't just Ryan. I believe many's an RTE stalwhart came up thru TV. I remember some show showed Aidan Power, then as a pre-teen, reviewing...something. (IT was either a music CD, a movie, or book... can't remember, he was one of a couple of kids on the show reviewing).

Then Ray D'arcy 'embarrassed' (ie it was all a setup, more like) Johnny Ward by showing a clip of him from the Den when he was maybe 9 or 10.

Npwadays, folks are told 'create a blog/ instagram account and call yourself an influencer' to get on Tv.

Plenty of RTe 'folks' tried to push their kids onto the screen. The problem is... if the audience keeps switching off the tv everytime they see your face, you're not going to stay employed for too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

The problem is... if the audience keeps switching off the tv everytime they see your face, you're not going to stay employed for too long.

Only for commercial stations. RTE will force feed us Lottle Ryan and as many Gearaghtys as they can while the tax paying schmucks will pay for it all.

Advertisement