Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

we dont know who the talent is because they never get a chance... the only new "talent" they have rolled out lately are gerry ryans daughter and mileys daughter from glenroe

They keep what they have until they die and then hire more talentless replacements.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

kneemos wrote: »
    They keep what they have until they die and then hire the dead folks children/family

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

FYP

Aye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

we dont know who the talent is because they never get a chance... the only new "talent" they have rolled out lately are gerry ryans daughter and mileys daughter from glenroe

And they've been there for years-I mean, since they returned that is.

Ryan's daughter (yeah, I know that sounds like the film) hasn't even made a dent at RTE-she's a 'showbiz' reporter and sometime backup presenter on the behind the scenes Dancing with the Stars show.

She's been trying to get established for close to a decade, and that's as good as it has gotten for her.

I had this discussion with my brother, talking about how hard it is to break into the media, particularly tv. To give an example, the most recent 'star' to break onto TV is Muireann O'Connell. On tv3. Now, all dues to her, but she's been working in radio for over a decade. She's also in her mid 30s. Lottie Ryan isn't far off that age either. That's not 'young talent'-even if they are hardly old. And Muireann would not have gotten the gig only for Lucy Kennedy leaving the 6 O'clock Show.

But go back to the 90s, or even early 00s. It was all teenagers, or 20 somethings getting on to TV. Be it TG4, tv3, or rte-many got jobs after the Leaving Certificate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

And they've been there for years-I mean, since they returned that is.

Ryan's daughter (yeah, I know that sounds like the film) hasn't even made a dent at RTE-she's a 'showbiz' reporter and sometime backup presenter on the behind the scenes Dancing with the Stars show.

She's been trying to get established for close to a decade, and that's as good as it has gotten for her.

I had this discussion with my brother, talking about how hard it is to break into the media, particularly tv. To give an example, the most recent 'star' to break onto TV is Muireann O'Connell. On tv3. Now, all dues to her, but she's been working in radio for over a decade. She's also in her mid 30s. Lottie Ryan isn't far off that age either. That's not 'young talent'-even if they are hardly old. And Muireann would not have gotten the gig only for Lucy Kennedy leaving the 6 O'clock Show.

But go back to the 90s, or even early 00s. It was all teenagers, or 20 somethings getting on to TV. Be it TG4, tv3, or rte-many got jobs after the Leaving Certificate.

TV3 in fairness to them give new talent a chance, for example Muireann O Connell as you mentioned and Ciara Doherty off the Ireland AM plus they have some young news reporters such as Zara King and Gavan O Reilly
    In RTE the only really newish presenter in recent times is sinead kennedy off the winning streak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

TV3 in fairness to them give new talent a chance, for example Muireann O Connell as you mentioned and Ciara Doherty off the Ireland AM plus they have some young news reporters such as Zara King and Gavan O Reilly
    In RTE the only really newish presenter in recent times is sinead kennedy off the winning streak
    I wonder who she’s related to in RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Why do they need 2 people to read the news sometimes and other times 1? Why not only one all the time?

Why do they send newsreaders down the country to interview their own country correspondents?

I'm happy (well happy is a stretch) to pay license fee for good quality service but even if, even if they could just get rid of Tubs and let the BBC or whoever take him, I would be happier that the 500k saving would go to decent programming. Ditto the others on that money who only appeal to a minority.

Sinead Kennedy's hardly new-she's been in RTE for over a decade. Started on children's tv, I think it was 'S@ttitude', then 2tube, and got other tv spots, such as Nationwide, then finally Winning Streak-and she almost didn't have that when RTE bizarrely cancelled it for Nicky Byrne's travesty of a show.
    I wonder who she’s related to in RTE?

IF you mean Zara King is related to Martin King, that would be a no. 'Martin King' is a DJ name, like how Tony Fenton was really Tony Fagan (RIP). He took the name when he was working in pirate radio and didn't want his father to lose his job in case it was discovered. (Back in the day when ESB and Telecom Eireann were one single entity).
    Why do they need 2 people to read the news sometimes and other times 1? Why not only one all the time?

Why do they send newsreaders down the country to interview their own country correspondents?

I'm happy (well happy is a stretch) to pay license fee for good quality service but even if, even if they could just get rid of Tubs and let the BBC or whoever take him, I would be happier that the 500k saving would go to decent programming. Ditto the others on that money who only appeal to a minority.

Indeed-Sky News often only has the one. Tv3 only has one-RTE have far too many people sitting at a desk. It should be two onlyif one is reading the news, the other reading the sports-Weather is an entirely different scenario.
    RTE seem to just send Katrina Perry round the place so they don't have to keep her indoors-I bet she makes the studio ice cold.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Whomever is looking after their summer schedule on a weekend evening needs a talking to. 2 fairly new, but braindead enough films on either channel that would kind of attract the same audienc, or at least have an overlap. Some type of proper choice for those who only have Saorview wouldn't go amiss.

At least there's no Miriam I guess (though getting paid as much for working less)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I honestly don't care who bangs on about what there so long as the Govt don't do what some other countries in Europe have done and change the TV licence to a general broadcast licence that covers ownership of everything capable of accessing TV or radio reception from a mobile phone to a computer.

No need for a TV when I have a large screen computer I can watch TV programmes on. And no need for a licence either. Long may it last :)

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Whomever is looking after their summer schedule on a weekend evening needs a talking to. 2 fairly new, but braindead enough films on either channel that would kind of attract the same audienc, or at least have an overlap. Some type of proper choice for those who only have Saorview wouldn't go amiss.

At least there's no Miriam I guess (though getting paid as much for working less)

We're still saving money on her wardrobe budget, among other things. And those guests aren't cheap. Nor is the hotels, food etc etc etc that those shows require.

So there's that... :/

Greentopia wrote: »
    I honestly don't care who bangs on about what there so long as the Govt don't do what some other countries in Europe have done and change the TV licence to a general broadcast licence that covers ownership of everything capable of accessing TV or radio reception from a mobile phone to a computer.

No need for a TV when I have a large screen computer I can watch TV programmes on. And no need for a licence either. Long may it last :)

But isn’t that exactly what they’ve done? As in anything larger than a tablet (Pc’s Included) need to have a TV licence.

We're still saving money on her wardrobe budget, among other things. And those guests aren't cheap. Nor is the hotels, food etc etc etc that those shows require.

So there's that... :/

Don’t forget the cameramen getting their out of hours as well as weekend bonus uplift

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What other countries - only Germany and Denmark comes to mind
    Couple of other countries tried and it was abandoned after public outcry

But isn’t that exactly what they’ve done? As in anything larger than a tablet (Pc’s Included) need to have a TV licence.

Wasn't that shot down? It was deemed unfeasible since children would be classified as tablet or pc owners, and you can't legally charge a child a tv license.

Nope, need a device capable of receiving terrestrial or satellite

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dont worry...it will rear it's head again in the next few months, as the funding issue continues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Wasn't that shot down? It was deemed unfeasible since children would be classified as tablet or pc owners, and you can't legally charge a child a tv license.

They would just BS it that the childs guardians have to pay for it.......prob charge each child individually if they have separate phones/tablets/tvs too!

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    They would just BS it that the childs guardians have to pay for it.......prob charge each child individually if they have separate phones/tablets/tvs too!

Still not enforceable. With a wifi connection, there's no way to track who's watching what. It's much different than if you're using a sky box or a Saorview box.

IT would require them to not only prove you had an electronic device like a tablet or mobile phone, but also that you were using it to watch RTE player.
    Or use RTE services.

Nope. It was mooted as a possibility a few times but never implemented thankfully. So far anyway.

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    What other countries - only Germany and Denmark comes to mind
    Couple of other countries tried and it was abandoned after public outcry

Those were the countries I was thinking of. They tried to change it in Sweden to cover TV viewing on a computer or anything capable of receiving internet connection too but the courts shot it down and it went back to being for TV ownership only.

I'd be mightily pissed off being forced to pay €160 a year when I don't even own a TV and think most of what RTE produces is utter ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I'd be mightily pissed off being forced to pay €160 a year when I don't even own a TV and think most of what RTE produces is utter ****e.

three.ie etc block adult content unless you provide proof of age

It'd be easy to block RTE, RTE player etc unless you want to register with rte to be billed ~ €160 per year

BulldozeMontrose

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

gctest50 wrote: »
    three.ie etc block adult content unless you provide proof of age

It'd be easy to block RTE, RTE player etc unless you want to register with rte to be billed ~ €160 per year

BulldozeMontrose

Every teenager knows that you just use Opera browser. VPNs are getting better known. We have even had VPN adverts on TV.

Whats really annoying lately it that on almost every ad break, they show an ad for themselves, and after every news report, has that 'supported by your licence fee' screen ad in it.

Seems they are really trying to push/promote themselves as a bastion of cultural significance lately, when in reality they are just saying 'make sure and pay your licence fee' or 'get ready for an increase in your licence fee'

Before you might see teh licence fee ad once in a blue moon, now you are reminded daily about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Whats really annoying lately it that on almost every ad break, they show an ad for themselves, and after every news report, has that 'supported by your licence fee' screen ad in it.

Seems they are really trying to push/promote themselves as a bastion of cultural significance lately, when in reality they are just saying 'make sure and pay your licence fee' or 'get ready for an increase in your licence fee'

Before you might see teh licence fee ad once in a blue moon, now you are reminded daily about it.

exactly.
    if they sold those advertising slots properly they wouldnt need the licience

exactly.
    if they sold those advertising slots properly they wouldnt need the licience

If only they could sell those advertising spots...but really is like a poke in the eye spending money on advertising to tell us our money supports them
    I wonder how much it costs compared to TV3 et al

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

RTÉ has been carrying out broad restructuring of operations and infrastructure for the past several years, which has already seen the shedding of almost 300 jobs through voluntary exit and early retirement schemes.

The schemes are expected to cost the national broadcaster at least €25m to shed the jobs from more than 1,900 staff members.

That works out at about €83,333 per person to get rid of them
    If said person has a decent job and is under 60 years of age this is a good deal.
    Director General of RTÉ Dee Forbes pointed out at the time that while “it may appear to some that RTÉ has plenty of money. But given the scope and breadth of our statutory obligations, the range of services we must provide and the nature and scale of the competition we face, RTÉ now has inadequate resources”.

She just doesn't let up.
    RTE Management need to sit down with the Government and all other relevant stake holders and explain the following:

1) Internet TV is killing us. RTE will never be able to compete, with the like of Amazon, Disney, Netflix etc
    2) RTE should only be for news, national/international sport, Irish culture, etc. This means goodbye to 2FM, Non-Irish Soaps, Non-Irish comedy shows, etc, etc
    3) RTE should be doing WAY more to support sport in Ireland. They should have coverage of all the League of Ireland games (They should push L.O.I to conform with the calendar for the rest of a leagues in EU). They should be showing more GAA. More atheltics. They should have a van down at mondello park every weekend in the summer, there is always racing going on there. Rallying, Road racing always provide a good watch etc. These are things that the likes of Netflix and Amazon cannot compete against RTE with yet they will avoid taking on the likes of SKY.

In other words, RTE need to find their gap in the market and work a profit out of it. because asking the Tax payer to foot the bill for nothing is not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They still have a ton of land in Donnybrook, let them sell more of it!

How much of a vote winner would license fee abolition be? Let them stand on their own two feet by massive cost cutting or become a paid subscription service ... if people want to pay to watch their utter crap, let them. But I don’t see why the public is being asked to fund the montrose millions ...

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    They still have a ton of land in Donnybrook, let them sell more of it!

Sell it all, and move to a greenfield site about 20km outside the M50 that they could purchase at a fraction of what they's sell Montrose for.

Advertisement