Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

elperello wrote: »
    Not a major change to the core business of broadcasting.

I don't see the point in RTE holding on to the NSO if it can prosper at NCH.

I really don't know at this stage. Would prefer sooner rather than later.

What kind of improvements had you in mind?

But Elperello the point is this is 2% of RTÉ overall budget, its 6million in savings, not only that but in 2018 TG4's licence fee funding was return to RTÉ for 2019, 4.5million, and at the end of 2019 RTÉ was given 10m. From 2018 to 2021 RTÉ will have an extra €20m in funding.

Is this not a starting point.

Should RTÉ not attempt to reform their output, things they have control off.

Take RTÉ News Now which they supposedly rebranded, did you notice any difference to RTÉ News Now and RTÉ News other than a name change. There is something simple that RTÉ could reform in the morning. They have the ablity, if you saw budget coverage or business coverage on the 1pm news you'd see that RTÉ can have a simple ticker on the bottom of the screen. This is an improvement it costs nothing.

And how about the complaint brought up here where advertising on a broadcast channel is cut from their online stream?

Promoting shows RTÉ are a wash will million euro worth of Imports which are barely promoted.

They had an the first showing of The Lodgers (Irish Film) during the summer, put on at 11:30 at night on RTÉ2, no promos for it, but Pretty Woman is promoted and its put on at 9:30 the same night. Irish V content that is on a million times. Neither available on the player. Surely you promo Irish content.

None of that costs a penny. no no but lets wait.

Not pay rises.

Increment = annual pay rise. So yes, pay rises.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not pay rises.

Will RTE be paying out more money in wages?

Answer is yes, so if it looks like a duck.....

And them looking to save €60,000,000 too.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Either that or less work for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

NIMAN wrote: »

RTE put a freeze on increments and sneaked a "inability to pay" into some staff contracts without any consultation. It was wrong and they have been found out.
    Not all who work in RTE are on massive salaries so this is good news to the ordinary workers ,so to speak.
    It just shows how the senior managers at RTE operate and adds to the overall public criticism for how top level executives operate within RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,972 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Increment = annual pay rise. So yes, pay rises.

Increments only apply until you reach the top of the pay scale ie. the rate of pay for the job. Therefore no actual pay rises. Ask someone you know who works in the public service to explain it.
    NIMAN wrote: »

Have another look at the link you posted. It is quite clear that the suspension of increments only affected those on relatively lower pay.

The continued use of increments is out-of-date, lazy and rewards time served, not ability. More realistic is a meritocracy, with periodic reviews based on performance. But, of course, we are talking RTE here. If Noel Kelly is batting for you, the sky’s the limit

Elmo wrote: »
    But Elperello the point is this is 2% of RTÉ overall budget, its 6million in savings, not only that but in 2018 TG4's licence fee funding was return to RTÉ for 2019, 4.5million, and at the end of 2019 RTÉ was given 10m. From 2018 to 2021 RTÉ will have an extra €20m in funding.

Is this not a starting point.

Should RTÉ not attempt to reform their output, things they have control off.

Take RTÉ News Now which they supposedly rebranded, did you notice any difference to RTÉ News Now and RTÉ News other than a name change. There is something simple that RTÉ could reform in the morning. They have the ablity, if you saw budget coverage or business coverage on the 1pm news you'd see that RTÉ can have a simple ticker on the bottom of the screen. This is an improvement it costs nothing.

And how about the complaint brought up here where advertising on a broadcast channel is cut from their online stream?

Promoting shows RTÉ are a wash will million euro worth of Imports which are barely promoted.

They had an the first showing of The Lodgers (Irish Film) during the summer, put on at 11:30 at night on RTÉ2, no promos for it, but Pretty Woman is promoted and its put on at 9:30 the same night. Irish V content that is on a million times. Neither available on the player. Surely you promo Irish content.

None of that costs a penny. no no but lets wait.

It doesn't matter which part of the public purse the money comes from it all should be accounted for and the best value achieved.

You outline some interesting suggestions for low outlay improvements. I'm sure we could all come up with good ideas to improve RTE for little or no cost. The problem is getting those ideas implemented.

I have no problem with RTE doing the best they can until we decide on the long term future for Public Broadcasting.

I don't think the "fire someone, cut someone's pay, close something down, sell something" so called solutions are helpful.

The continued use of increments is out-of-date, lazy and rewards time served, not ability. More realistic is a meritocracy, with periodic reviews based on performance. But, of course, we are talking RTE here. If Noel Kelly is batting for you, the sky’s the limit

Largely increments are away to keep wages down in the Public Service. Instead of starting at the average salary point you are put on to a incremental system were by your starting point is much lower than that of the commercial sector. Over the course of 10 years you should end up just above the commercial sector.

Not saying that is how it is working but that is the idea.

That is an interesting suggestion and perhaps a new system of remuneration could be part of any new Public Broadcasting Service in the future. For now the current system applies and should be honoured.

Worth noting that increments don't apply to contractors pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That is an interesting suggestion and perhaps a new system of remuneration could be part of any new Public Broadcasting Service in the future. For now the current system applies and should be honoured.

Worth noting that increments don't apply to contractors pay.

Same question that I've asked you a couple of times before but which you refuse to answer... Do you work for/contract to RTE? I think you should at least give people full disclosure if you're going to blindly defend everything they do, no matter how bad it is, in this thread.

It doesn't matter which part of the public purse the money comes from it all should be accounted for and the best value achieved.

You outline some interesting suggestions for low outlay improvements. I'm sure we could all come up with good ideas to improve RTE for little or no cost. The problem is getting those ideas implemented.

I have no problem with RTE doing the best they can until we decide on the long term future for Public Broadcasting.

I don't think the "fire someone, cut someone's pay, close something down, sell something" so called solutions are helpful.

I am confused. Literally no one here has called on "firing staff, cutting pay, closing something down or selling something" all of those options have come from the top brass in RTÉ.

And yet they have done none.

There should be no issue implementing something better within an organisation. Are you suggesting that RTÉ News channel looks good?

Do you work for RTÉ? Because RTÉ are not doing the best the can under the current rules and if they are you should give examples.

Every job, without exception in my view, has a value to a particular business. Usually, it will be a band - to allow for employing a novice or an experienced person to the role, and allow the novice to become more competent, knowledgeable and able to operate without so much (if any) tutoring or mentoring. But there is an upper limit, no matter how fantastic the employee is. You don’t need pay for an Einstein to cut the grass in a public park.

Although I realise the extravagant sums paid to some contractors is only part of the salary bill, they are a real litmus test as to what RTE is forking out for such “Talent”. It’s high time that RTE published the top ten earners pay; there always seems to be a reason for not doing so. I expect them to blame GDPR at some stage. On a value-for-money basis, many of them aren’t.

RTE adopting a philosophy of cutting their cloth, and concentrating on their core business, stopping promoting woke and political agendas would at least be a start

Same question that I've asked you a couple of times before but which you refuse to answer... Do you work for/contract to RTE? I think you should at least give people full disclosure if you're going to blindly defend everything they do, no matter how bad it is, in this thread.

With respect, this forum allows anonymity. I go to some lengths to remain anonymous and give little detail of my home/work life here.

I'm not questioning anyone's bona fides and I'd prefer not to have to give answers to personal questions.

I'm here to discuss ideas, not to force my opinions on anybody.

Just for the record I don't think I "blindly" defend RTE.

Just for the record I don't think I "blindly" defend RTE.

It seems like you do, this is from some who supports RTÉ, though it may not seem that way at times.

I have no problem with your idea but they tend to just stop short.

for example you keep saying no changes until we know what we want from public service broadcast and I assume that this is when the Future of Media Committee meets at some point during 2021 or perhaps in Dec 2020. So lets say the Future of Media comes to the following conclusions which I believe they will.

1. The Licence Fee to be renamed and collect in a different manner (applied to all)
    2. That the sound and vision fund will go towards News and CA , and online media production, something that is not provide for in the Broadcasting Act 2009.
    3. Some funding toward non-broadcast news outlets.

They might, but I don't think the will, say move the NCO to the NCH and fund it from the exchequer like the NSO.

The above doesn't really change anything other then to hope that RTÉ will get out of its financial strangle hold and that independent news providers will be able to access some funding and that online video and audio provide also get something. all of which is pretty much what they are all asking for.

The SPI might see the percentage of the license fee going toward independent product rise but they seem to be pretty happy to let the license increase and in turn increase their funding.

I doubt that any new commitments will be put on RTÉ in terms of output.

So in saying and lets as an experiment suggest that the above happens what do you think should change once these are all implemented, particularly for RTÉ as this thread is about them.

I am confused. Literally no one here has called on "firing staff, cutting pay, closing something down or selling something" all of those options have come from the top brass in RTÉ.

And yet they have done none.

There should be no issue implementing something better within an organisation. Are you suggesting that RTÉ News channel looks good?

Do you work for RTÉ? Because RTÉ are not doing the best the can under the current rules and if they are you should give examples.

Just click back to the first page of the thread. Everything from close RTE to privatise it is there.

No problem with RTE trying to do a better job in the day to day stuff. Seeking improvements in the running of an organisation should be part and parcel of any management's brief.

Please see reply above re. my employment.

No problem with RTE trying to do a better job in the day to day stuff. Seeking improvements in the running of an organisation should be part and parcel of any management's brief.

and if they don't seek improvements?

Then they’re not doing their job, and a performance review would expose that.

It seems like you do, this is from some who supports RTÉ, though it may not seem that way at times.

I have no problem with your idea but they tend to just stop short.

for example you keep saying no changes until we know what we want from public service broadcast and I assume that this is when the Future of Media Committee meets at some point during 2021 or perhaps in Dec 2020. So lets say the Future of Media comes to the following conclusions which I believe they will.

1. The Licence Fee to be renamed and collect in a different manner (applied to all)
    2. That the sound and vision fund will go towards News and CA , and online media production, something that is not provide for in the Broadcasting Act 2009.
    3. Some funding toward non-broadcast news outlets.

They might, but I don't think the will, say move the NCO to the NCH and fund it from the exchequer like the NSO.

The above doesn't really change anything other then to hope that RTÉ will get out of its financial strangle hold and that independent news providers will be able to access some funding and that online video and audio provide also get something. all of which is pretty much what they are all asking for.

The SPI might see the percentage of the license fee going toward independent product rise but they seem to be pretty happy to let the license increase and in turn increase their funding.

I doubt that any new commitments will be put on RTÉ in terms of output.

So in saying and lets as an experiment suggest that the above happens what do you think should change once these are all implemented, particularly for RTÉ as this thread is about them.

You perception of my comments is your own.

I prefer not to prejudge the outcome and base a lot of conjecture on something that may not happen.

As I have said before I think there is a lot of mileage left in TV and radio as part of media. I hope we will have a sustainable Public Broadcasting Service in this country in the medium to long term.

To be honest I don't see what you or I could do about it but the people whose job it is should.

You perception of my comments is your own.

I prefer not to prejudge the outcome and base a lot of conjecture on something that may not happen.

As I have said before I think there is a lot of mileage left in TV and radio as part of media. I hope we will have a sustainable Public Broadcasting Service in this country in the medium to long term.

To be honest I don't see what you or I could do about it but the people whose job it is should.

Thanks! you're being very general. You not giving any real idea of your position, and its a very, very general position.

Lets have some conjecture, I have followed this I would be surprised if the Future of Media does anything major.

Do you think RTÉ are currently doing a good job?

Simple question the RTÉ News Channel what do you think of its rebrand from RTÉ News Now, did they do a good job?

• Advertisement

Then they’re not doing their job, and a performance review would expose that.

I believe the BAI carry out that review and it concluded they needed 30million a year extra.

I believe the BAI carry out that review and it concluded they needed 30million a year extra.

I’m talking about a review of people’s individual performance against a set of agreed objectives for the year. For my entire time in management, which is 35years, I have sat with my boss as part of a cycle of regular (usually quarterly) meetings solely to discuss how I’m getting on with delivering the objectives we have agreed before the year starts. And not just how I’m doing, but how I’m doing it - behaviours counted as well. I won’t go on and explain management by objectives to you.

No regulator of my sector, either financial or safety, would come into any organisation I have worked in and said - ah, you need €30m more.

I’m not talking about a draconian system. It’s simply about asking people to do their job, explaining clearly what you want of them and then monitoring the situation, taking steps to overcome any problems.

It sounds like RTE put their begging bowl front and centre, and the shortly to be disbanded BAI told them they needed more money.

I’d not looked at the BAI website before just now. They’re finished anyway, but they are - quite rightly in my view, because nobody knows the timescale for their demise/replacement (as usual!) - consulting on their three year strategy 2021 - 2023. It follows on from the previous strategy which ran 2017 - 2019. I guess they just forgot about 2020. It doesn’t fill you with a warm and fuzzy feeling about their paying full attention to their role, does it?

reflects the BAI’s expected role in leading and influencing change and transforming itself as an organisation for integration into the new Media Commission

Michael O’Keeffe
    CEO - IRTC (1988 - 2001) Irish Radio and Television Commission
    CEO - BCI (2001 - 2009) Broadcasting Commission of Ireland
    CEO - BAI (2009 - 20--) Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (Replacing both the RTÉ Authority and the BCI)

He might just make The Media Commission, though he's due for retirement.

The IRTC isn't going anywhere its just being rebranded, again.

Michael O’Keeffe
    CEO - IRTC (1988 - 2001) Irish Radio and Television Commission
    CEO - BCI (2001 - 2009) Broadcasting Commission of Ireland
    CEO - BAI (2009 - 20--) Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (Replacing both the RTÉ Authority and the BCI)

He might just make The Media Commission, though he's due for retirement.

The IRTC isn't going anywhere its just being rebranded, again.

He’s obviously a survivor. That’s one steady career path.

I see it took him nine years to agree his contract. I thought the CEO of such an institution could only get a seven year term.

Thanks! you're being very general. You not giving any real idea of your position, and its a very, very general position.

Lets have some conjecture, I have followed this I would be surprised if the Future of Media does anything major.

Do you think RTÉ are currently doing a good job?

Simple question the RTÉ News Channel what do you think of its rebrand from RTÉ News Now, did they do a good job?

Again, you are entitled to your assessment of my posts.

As I said I'd rather avoid speculation.

If you asked me to mark RTE's report card I'd say could do better.

Not really interested in dissecting the minutiae of how to run a broadcasting organisation but if you insist I think the News Channel is ok for my needs.

If you asked me to mark RTE's report card I'd say could do better.

Not really interested in dissecting the minutiae of how to run a broadcasting organisation but if you insist I think the News Channel is ok for my needs.

That's find "could do better" is an opinion.

So the News Channel is just "ok" for your needs. I am just trying to form a conversation.

So over all RTÉ need to do better, which largely speaking almost everyone here agrees with. Some will have over expectations and other will have under expectations. While other think RTÉ is doing a good job. All of that is fine.

You should not have a problem examine or dissecting what RTÉ do, or what anyone does.

Personally I think the RTÉ News Channel is badly presented, the screens around the squashy vision repeated programmes is unnecessary. I don't think they should spend millions on a news channel, but what they have produced is a mockery of any television viewer. But that's just an opinion.

I believe that RTÉ are wasting money hand over fist. 25million per year on imports an increase of 3million in 2018, decreased children's content by 3m the same year, I don't think they know what Public Service Broadcasting is. But just opinions, opinions I am happy to change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/rte-apologises-to-declan-ganley-over-prime-time-programme-he-claimed-linked-him-to-death-of-albanian-businessman-39655358.html

Another large settlement payout and apology by RTE in the High Court this morning.This is where taxpayers money is going folks. It doesn't say who covered the large legal costs either likely RTE.

RTE have defamed so many people now I've lost track. They are not fit for purpose and consistently peddle fake news and libel those who don't play along with their political agenda..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,507 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

#truthmatters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/rte-apologises-to-declan-ganley-over-prime-time-programme-he-claimed-linked-him-to-death-of-albanian-businessman-39655358.html

Another large settlement payout and apology by RTE in the High Court this morning.This is where taxpayers money is going folks. It doesn't say who covered the large legal costs either likely RTE.

RTE have defamed so many people now I've lost track. They are not fit for purpose and consistently peddle fake news and libel those who don't play along with their political agenda..
    RTE do not care because we are picking up on the tab on that settlement, as we will be doing on all future court settlements too.
    Don't forget that "Integrity matters" and "Trust matters" ..... oh, the irony when it comes to RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

rdwight wrote: »
    Second half just starting in streamed Champions League game. Nary an ad except quick sponsor flash and RTE competition during half time. Apart from analysis "Programme Resumes Shortly" displayed all through half time.

wtf, Dee. PSG v. Man Utd not attracting enough viewers to sell advertising?

Second half just starting in streamed Europa League game. Ten ads during half time and no sign of a Virgin equivalent of "Fann Linn" screen. Easier to sell ads for Celtic v AC Milan than Man U game?

I'm still mystified as to what RTE are up to to.

Advertisement