Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,507 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

^^^^
    And VM don't have a rake of ads for their own shows either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭garrettod

RTÉ expects financial results to be better than feared

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1022/1173309-rte-financial-results/

So, Dee playing the poor mouth didn't get her a big blank cheque a few months back, and now she's had to come clean and admit that the finances aren't as bad as she thought they were going to be....

But don't worry, Dee has a plan, she's now going to pay staff increments with the money that she's found - way to go Dee!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thanks,

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

garrettod wrote: »

So, Dee playing the poor mouth didn't get her a big blank cheque a few months back, and now she's had to come clean and admit that the finances aren't as bad as she thought they were going to be....

But don't worry, Dee has a plan, she's now going to pay staff increments with the money that she's found - way to go Dee!!!

Bunch of chancers at RTE ........... with no real oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

garrettod wrote: »

Yes, staff increments that were illegally withheld, i might add. The "Money she found" you say, will pay for 60-70 voluntary redundancy. Cutting staff is essential for RTE going forward, However, I fear they might hire with the other hand.

Insisting on being paid increments, even if they are contracted, during a major recession and pandemic with hundreds of thousands on short time or no time at all, just smacks of entitlement to me. We’re all in this together. Not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

So you agree with RTE to stop the ordinary joe staff member a little increment.
    And they have been criticised for sneaking in "inability to pay" clause in employment contracts, All this was done unilateral and the IRT ruled that it was wrong. Not everyone in RTE are massive salaries!
    I would guess most staff are on the top of their grades anyway, and this would only affect a minority of staff.
    It's a little victory for the TUG.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

elperello wrote: »
    I prefer not to prejudge the outcome and base a lot of conjecture on something that may not happen.

She said RTÉ cannot return to a stable financial position or make the investments it needs if the TV licence system is not reformed, and she said the establishment of the new Future of Media Commission , which looks at media funding, is a welcome development.

I would never prejudge anything either. Fortunately RTÉ are only to happy to wait for their increase revenue from the new reformed license fee rather than reforming RTÉ.

You could say that the Commission has not be set up to increase the revenues of RTÉ and such prejudgments are pure conjecture. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Elmo wrote: »
    I would never prejudge anything either. Fortunately RTÉ are only to happy to wait for their increase revenue from the new reformed license fee rather than reforming RTÉ.

You could say that the Commission has not be set up to increase the revenues of RTÉ and such prejudgments are pure conjecture. :D

My own preference is to remove the licence fee entirely and fund public broadcasting from direct taxation.

This would end the collection and enforcement expense and everyone would pay a small share of the cost.

Of course this assumes that public broadcasting is something worth having and is of benefit to the citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

My own preference is to remove the licence fee entirely and fund public broadcasting from direct taxation.

This would end the collection and enforcement expense and everyone would pay a small share of the cost.

Of course this assumes that public broadcasting is something worth having and is of benefit to the citizens.

I respect your view but at this point in time I would consider it to be detrimental to society at the moment rather than a benefit. It is an outdated model at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And this is exactly what RTE want; an open cheque book in the form of direct taxation. If we think that there is no accountability now at RTE, imagine if they get their funding through direct taxes? And it would further erode the national broadcaster's ability to question or investigate inappropriate government behaviour ..... as they will never bite the hand that feeds them.
    Not that they are holding the government to account now e.g. RTE's Covid coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

This makes the most sense. If we are agreed that public broadcasting is beneficial to a country, then it should be paid for by taxes, the same as other public services.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

rdwight wrote: »
    Second half just starting in streamed Champions League game. Nary an ad except quick sponsor flash and RTE competition during half time. Apart from analysis "Programme Resumes Shortly" displayed all through half time.

wtf, Dee. PSG v. Man Utd not attracting enough viewers to sell advertising?
    Second half just starting in streamed Europa League game. Ten ads during half time and no sign of a Virgin equivalent of "Fann Linn" screen. Easier to sell ads for Celtic v AC Milan than Man U game?

I'm still mystified as to what RTE are up to to.

Second half just starting in streamed Ukraine v Ireland Womens 2022 Europeam qualifer. Nary an ad during half time. Apart from analysis "Rte 2 Programme Resumes Shortly" displayed all through half time.

As I say elperello and have being saying I agree with the License Fee, but if I was in RTÉ I would not think the new system will or should increase my income. And I would not be waiting 10 years for the change to take place. (Yes there have been several times over the last decade the collection method has been raised).

In terms of collection I would rather it was regulated by ComReg and the BAI with the fund being added to telephony, broadband, pay content/TV bills. At the end of the year the public would be advised as to how much they paid into the Licence fee, I suspect less than €80 in most cases. This could be part of VAT, however businesses would not be able to reclaim this portion of VAT.

But even if my idea was adopted or yours or anyone else's it still remains that RTÉ are aloof from the realities of their situation and their audience.

In 2019 RTÉ spend just €3.2m on Independent Drama and Comedy (which included The Tommy Teirnan Show)
    In 2019 RTÉ spent just €3.5m on Children's Content.

These are two of RTÉ's core objectives for their 2020/2024 strategy!

Second half just starting in streamed Ukraine v Ireland Womens 2022 Europeam qualifer. Nary an ad during half time. Apart from analysis "Rte 2 Programme Resumes Shortly" displayed all through half time.

Any reply from RTÉ?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Any reply from RTÉ?

:) I haven't contacted them. I was more hopeful of a commonsensical answer here than possible obfuscation from them.

ligerdub wrote: »
    I respect your view but at this point in time I would consider it to be detrimental to society at the moment rather than a benefit. It is an outdated model at this stage.

I think there is a future for a Public Broadcasting Service. All we need to do is decide what form we want that to take and fund it.
    Kivaro wrote: »
    And this is exactly what RTE want; an open cheque book in the form of direct taxation. If we think that there is no accountability now at RTE, imagine if they get their funding through direct taxes? And it would further erode the national broadcaster's ability to question or investigate inappropriate government behaviour ..... as they will never bite the hand that feeds them.
    Not that they are holding the government to account now e.g. RTE's Covid coverage.

I don't recommend "an open cheque book". There would be a requirement to put in place the necessary financial controls. Editorial integrity could be protected too.
    As I say elperello and have being saying I agree with the License Fee, but if I was in RTÉ I would not think the new system will or should increase my income. And I would not be waiting 10 years for the change to take place. (Yes there have been several times over the last decade the collection method has been raised).

In terms of collection I would rather it was regulated by ComReg and the BAI with the fund being added to telephony, broadband, pay content/TV bills. At the end of the year the public would be advised as to how much they paid into the Licence fee, I suspect less than €80 in most cases. This could be part of VAT, however businesses would not be able to reclaim this portion of VAT.

But even if my idea was adopted or yours or anyone else's it still remains that RTÉ are aloof from the realities of their situation and their audience.

In 2019 RTÉ spend just €3.2m on Independent Drama and Comedy (which included The Tommy Teirnan Show)
    In 2019 RTÉ spent just €3.5m on Children's Content.

These are two of RTÉ's core objectives for their 2020/2024 strategy!

I agree that there is a role for ComReg and the BAI or some amalgamation or a new restructured oversight body.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with your proposal to link revenue to some sort of levy on services. The only fear I would have is that at some point in the future the means of delivery of those services may change due to improvements in technology. I think funding from direct taxation is the best long term system to ensure the future of a PBS.

If the Government was serious about this everything should be on the table with a view to delivering the best service to the audience.

I agree that there is a role for ComReg and the BAI or some amalgamation or a new restructured oversight body.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with your proposal to link revenue to some sort of levy on services. The only fear I would have is that at some point in the future the means of delivery of those services may change due to improvements in technology. I think funding from direct taxation is the best long term system to ensure the future of a PBS.

That's were ComReg and the BAI would come in, they would set the charge and determine if changes need to be made for its collection.

I would have issue with Direct Taxation funding the public service broadcaster, the Boaden report on the NSO talks about this it says:-
    Government involvement ensures wider stakeholder support, but also potentially leaves the NSO at the whim of future Government spending decisions

In the case of the decision by government at the budget the NSO will now be at the whim of the government with no RTÉ involvement as suggested by the report.

Both RTÉ and TG4 fell foul of government involvement in 2011 when TG4 up until 2018 was part funded by the license fee, with its direct grant from the exchequer reduce, only in 2018 was this reversed, nothing stopping the government de-funding TG4 as they did in 2011, with the gap being filled by what ever replaces the license fee.

I would have issue with Direct Taxation funding the public service broadcaster

Anyone in their right mind should take issue with direct taxation - there is no oversight in RTE
    The only way that would work is a cap on all wages in line with normal civil servants and all spending/budget to be approved but that will never happen
    They are a semi private organisation and I would guess VM would also take issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,560 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why are RTE running RTE News ads on Sky Sports, thought they were tight for cash? Who do they think they are, CNN?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Anyone in their right mind should take issue with direct taxation - there is no oversight in RTE

How is oversight any different if RTE are funded from taxation or through a mandatory licence fee?
    Either way they get their funds. At least through taxation the overhead of licence fee collection and enforcement is removed, and their funds have to be signed off by the Government.

• Advertisement

McHardcore wrote: »
    How is oversight any different if RTE are funded from taxation or through a mandatory licence fee?
    Either way they get their funds. At least through taxation the overhead of licence fee collection and enforcement is removed, and their funds have to be signed off by the Government.

And the government of the day may decide to removing funding if they don't like what is being said.

And the government of the day may decide to removing funding if they don't like what is being said.

Good point.

McHardcore wrote: »

Taxation everyone pays whether you use them or not

The only way that would work is a cap on all wages in line with normal civil servants and all spending/budget to be approved but that will never happen
    They are a semi private organisation and I would guess VM would also take issue with it.

Most RTE staff are on salary scales as it is. I think spending/budget issues could be sorted.

That is a danger but if the right structures were put in place an "arms length" funding model could be developed.

At the moment you have to pay the licence whether you watch RTE or not.

There are lots of things that Government funds that you do not directly use. For example I have no interest in horse racing but the Government will pay c. €76m to Horse Racing Ireland next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Why are RTE running RTE News ads on Sky Sports, thought they were tight for cash? Who do they think they are, CNN?

They are certainly behaving a lot like CNN in the last few years, and that's not a compliment.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

There are lots of things that Government funds that you do not directly use. For example I have no interest in horse racing but the Government will pay c. €76m to Horse Racing Ireland next year.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2020/1014/1171490-minster-defends-12m-increase-to-racing-funding/

€96million, of which €21million is given to gray hound racing.

I don't really under stand this funding, how much in ticket sales and betting is that industry making?

And why from the Min of Agriculture?

At the moment you have to pay the licence whether you watch RTE or not.

No, you pay the licence if you own equipment capable of receiving a broadcast signal - you have a choice
    Taxation means everyone pays regardless so you are paying for incompetent presenters on ridiculous wages on a station that thinks money grows on a tree

Which is practically the same as the current licence method since you have to pay "if you have equipment capable of receiving a television signal". Or even the proposed 2024 method, that will cover laptops, tablets and phones. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/qa-who-what-and-how-much-an-idiots-guide-to-the-new-broadcasting-charge-38370889.html

So I will ask the same question again:
    Either way they get their funds. At least through taxation the overhead of licence fee collection and enforcement is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

No, you pay the licence if you own equipment capable of receiving a broadcast signal - you have a choice
    Taxation means everyone pays regardless so you are paying for incompetent presenters on ridiculous wages on a station that thinks money grows on a tree

Little harsh here this poster would opine ?

MOST presenters are adequate but would agree that SOME are on ridiculous salary's.

How a Station could pay two afternoon presenters a wedge north of €450K beggars belief.

This really needs sorting or Dee Forbes can bleat about under funding until the cows come home .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Little harsh here this poster would opine ?

MOST presenters are adequate but would agree that SOME are on ridiculous salary's.

How a Station could pay two afternoon presenters a wedge north of €450K beggars belief.

This really needs sorting or Dee Forbes can bleat about under funding until the cows come home .

It all depends on what you think Irish radio presenters are worth I suppose.

Tubs, Duffy and Darcy get all the headlines because they cost RTE approx €1,500,000 annually in fees/salaries, but don't forget that there are big wages among the other 'big' names too.

Sean O'Rourke was on 250k or so before he left.
    Marian was on 300k+ before she died.

And don't forget Miriam, David McCullough, George Hamilton, Claire Byrne, Bryan Dobson, Mary Wilson. All of these are on an average of 200k too each.

Do you think they all earn that sort of money?

Advertisement