Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,847 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I recognised all of them except one - I had to look up who Nicky Byrne was :pac:

Radio 1 gets a huge audience share in fairness. Although, according to the Liveline boards thread, a lot of the "high value advertising" Joe Duffy brings in is just plugs for RTE shows or government ads (pre-covid I should add.)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

John Kelly, getting 200k for Jazz Club

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,471 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

retalivity wrote: »
    John Kelly, getting 200k for Jazz Club

200.gif

One of the greatest mysteries of our time......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Elmo wrote: »
    Sean O'Rourke 11 years replaced pat kenny, was host of news at one and the week in politics now retired...just
    Derek Mooney 12 years - did he present live at 3 decades ago? No echo island, he's still in RTÉ he was replaced by Ray D'Arcy on radio and hosted winning streak for about a decade
    Mary Wilson 1 year presented drive time for years on Radio 1, has since moved to morning Ireland, she seems like the most value
    Richard Crowley 1 year news reporter, sometimes host of prime time, former washington correspondent
    John Kelly 5 years lyric fm host had moved to radio 1 from today fm also hosted The View and The Works on TV art programmes
    Tommy Gorman 1 year european correspondent for years now in Northern Ireland
    Brian Farrell 1 year he retired around 2003 and has since died, today tonight and Farrell on TV both current affairs programmes, not sure if he was on radio

Nice and concise. All of the above would be household names whether dead, retired or still working.

One name stands out. Derek Mooney. They gave him a title of "head of nature and wildlife" or something like that. Other than that, what does he do? I know he does a weekend show and it's not bad in fairness. But, is he still on the same coin as he was or has it gone down?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,655 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

George Hamilton gets €180k for commentating on what, 12 matches a year?

Hamilton possibly has the best job of all of them in there, he has the perfect combination of a nice big wedge of cash and lots of foreign travel and great seats for the worlds biggest sporting events and finals. By my calculation he has been to
    - 10 World Cups (first one was Argentina 1978)
    - 9 Olympics (first one was the 1980 Moscow Olympics, his 10th will be Toyko next year)
    - 10 European Championships
    - At least 4 Rugby World Cups
    - multiple European Cup/ Champions League finals
    - multiple Six Nations away games

If you're a sports fan you would do all that for free but its even sweeter when it comes with a 180k per year salary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Skyfloater wrote: »
    He's on Lyric as well.

I did not know that! Thank you; you learn something new every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Not sure why people having a go George Hamilton.

He has been the best football commentator in Ireland for decades. Admittedly his powers are on the wane, but I wouldn't be focusing on him out of everyone on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,471 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I did not know that! Thank you; you learn something new every day!

Also a pianist up to concert pianist standard almost.

There’s more ‘Larnin ’ Butthers

Nice lad, George.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

sligojoek wrote: »
    Nice and concise. All of the above would be household names whether dead, retired or still working.

One name stands out. Derek Mooney. They gave him a title of "head of nature and wildlife" or something like that. Other than that, what does he do? I know he does a weekend show and it's not bad in fairness. But, is he still on the same coin as he was or has it gone down?

Derek Mooney presents Mooney goes wild on radio 1 on Monday nights. Since leaving his daily radio show he has not been on the list, 2014 is his last entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

He has been the best football commentator in Ireland for decades. Admittedly his powers are on the wane, but I wouldn't be focusing on him out of everyone on that list.

Nobody having a "Go" at George Brock...they are having a go at RTE for the insane salaries.....my feeling is that these front liners are only the tip of the iceberg.

Take Darc'y for example ..on a wedge north of €500k for a short afternoon programme ?

All those sports guys during the first lockdown....any salary cuts ?

For the record I think George H is a very good commentator but like all the other high earners I don't think his wedge is justified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Nobody having a "Go" at George Brock...they are having a go at RTE for the insane salaries.....my feeling is that these front liners are only the tip of the iceberg.

Take Darc'y for example ..on a wedge north of €500k for a short afternoon programme ?

All those sports guys during the first lockdown....any salary cuts ?

For the record I think George H is a very good commentator but like all the other high earners I don't think his wedge is justified.

Ray must have photos of someone, tucked away somewhere.

€500 000 for a now (cancelled) crappy tv show, an afternoon radio show...

And now some idiot in RTE (because RTE trades in nostalgia now) decided to revive the Den...

... if that show is as 'top quality' as his chatshow (and we know it won't be, because it's going to be on a Sunday night, the graveyard shift) then more questions will be asked, surely?

Re: George, I was pointing out how as one of the lower down top ten earns he pops in and out of the list, making me beleive that RTÉ staff are aware of the top ten and limit their income based on the number 10, I think Brian Dobson is a good example as he hoovers around 195,000 per year, which puts him in and out of the list depending on if number 10 gets less than 200,000. I doubt he's taken much of a cut.

Re: D'Arcy I assume he's taken a cut, we only have 2016 to go on, RTÉ have yet to announce 2017 or 2018, I think they are hoping to release 2019 with them as it will show cuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Re: George, I was pointing out how as one of the lower down top ten earns he pops in and out of the list, making me beleive that RTÉ staff are aware of the top ten and limit their income based on the number 10, I think Brian Dobson is a good example as he hoovers around 195,000 per year, which puts him in and out of the list depending on if number 10 gets less than 200,000. I doubt he's taken much of a cut.

Re: D'Arcy I assume he's taken a cut, we only have 2016 to go on, RTÉ have yet to announce 2017 or 2018, I think they are hoping to release 2019 with them as it will show cuts!

I doubt he'll take a cut.

It might be one of those 'cuts by deception'... as in 'Ray D'arcy took a pay cut'.. when in reality, he parlayed the money into his 'production company', just like Ryan Tubridy does. (Production company is one of those RTE presenter ways to say they took a pay cut, when really they pay it into their 'production company').

I doubt he'll take a cut.

It might be one of those 'cuts by deception'... as in 'Ray D'arcy took a pay cut'.. when in reality, he parlayed the money into his 'production company', just like Ryan Tubridy does. (Production company is one of those RTE presenter ways to say they took a pay cut, when really they pay it into their 'production company').

Well it might be more like Pat Kenny, I will take a pay cut for my 5 year contract, but I will need you to give me a big fat bonus at the end of the 5 years for completion, oh and I am off to Newstalk just to prove my worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

Yeah, leave George out of this, he's the voice of our childhood!

....well mine anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

RINO87 wrote: »
    Yeah, leave George out of this, he's the voice of our childhood!

....well mine anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

where do you even start on the below? the government now providing huge advertisting spends, to many media outlets, probably many on verge of collapse, all struggling financially. Explains the media lack of proper coverage of the criminal levels of governance here. The media failing is actually very damaging to the country... The media is critical, but they are bought off, rte in particular...

Media critical to Ireland’s democracy, says Taoiseach

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/media-critical-to-ireland-s-democracy-says-taoiseach-1.4394892?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Fmedia-and-marketing%2Fmedia-critical-to-ireland-s-democracy-says-taoiseach-1.4394892

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

There’s another method of deception on fees btw.

Say John Bluffy gets €2,000 per show and broadcasts 180 shows this year to “earn” €360,000.

Next year John’s agent secures John a raise to €2,500 per show, you know, to keep him away from the arms of the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, the American stations etc. that are always trying to poach RTÉ’s talent. John decides to only do 140 shows this year as he likes his time off. For his 140 shows at the new rate he now “earns” €350,000, but has 8 more weeks off.

Now RTÉ can say his overall fees were reduced (when in fact they went up per show) and John can say he took a cut because we’re all in this together etc.

There’s another method of deception on fees btw.

Say John Bluffy gets €2,000 per show and broadcasts 180 shows this year to “earn” €360,000.

Next year John’s agent secures John a raise to €2,500 per show, you know, to keep him away from the arms of the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, the American stations etc. that are always trying to poach RTɒs talent. John decides to only do 140 shows this year as he likes his time off. For his 140 shows at the new rate he now “earns” €350,000, but has 8 more weeks off.

Now RTÉ can say his overall fees were reduced (when in fact they went up per show) and John can say he took a cut because we’re all in this together etc.

John Bluffy is such an asshole for 2 hours on RTÉ Gold he can go .....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

John Bluffy is such an asshole for 2 hours on RTÉ Gold he can go .....:)
    Didn't Dee Forbes promise us that they were shutting down RTE Gold to save money? But then again, with RTE, that probably equates to the hiring of more staff and increase the salaries of those already there.

By the way, the threat to shut down RTE Gold was a cynical move by Forbes because she knows that a lot of workers out there actually listen to that station. She wanted to send out a message to the license fee payees that if we don't pay up (more money), then she will take away one of the few decent offerings that they provide.

Dee Forbes needs to go.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Didn't Dee Forbes promise us that they were shutting down RTE Gold to save money? But then again, with RTE, that probably equates to the hiring of more staff and increase the salaries of those already there.

By the way, the threat to shut down RTE Gold was a cynical move by Forbes because she knows that a lot of workers out there actually listen to that station. She wanted to send out a message to the license fee payees that if we don't pay up (more money), then she will take away one of the few decent offerings that they provide.

Dee Forbes needs to go.

So here what I think happened. Initially RTÉ thought it could just shut down the Radio Stations. I was at a conference where the head of radio (now the nominal head of content) address the BAI to say "they are trail services I think you will agree?" implying we can drop them when ever we want. The BAI (That 30 year suvivor, or lifer) nodded in agreement.

However.... see all the radio stations moved to Saorview and Virgin Media and aren't exclusively broadcast on trail DAB, meaning while RTÉ don't need permission to close DAB, they must under the Broadcasting act 2009 ask the Dept and the minister for permission to close the stations.

Last time I check in July they had yet to ask permission. I doubt that they have.

DAB AFAIK is due to close in the new year as planned.

Kivaro wrote: »

Dee Forbes needs to go.

If they threatened to close down the poxy orchestras or something only a handful would care, but no, threaten to take away something that a lot of people actually want, and that is cheap!

Remember when Dept. of Foreign Affairs were asked to make cost cuts and come up with a list of embassies for closure? This wasn't their first rodeo so they put the Vatican at the top of the list, every time previous it'd been "ah holy god, we can't close the Vatican embassy" and nothing got closed

Then their bluff was called - "hmm, costs a lot of money, generates no jobs, yeah close it" :pac:

We need a government that will give RTE a good solid kick up the fundament and unless they slash their costs they'll get what the bloated Greek broadcaster got.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Trial services?

Trial services?

DAB is consider a trail service. Digital Radio Stations RTÉ assume were only part of the DAB trail service, so if you kill DAB you kill Digital Radio Statios, no need to make a proposal to the minister, however all of the digital radio stations are available on Soarview and Virgin Media, neither being trial services. So RTÉ thread to close them came to nothing because they were unwilling to approach the Dept to approve the closure of the Digital Radio Stations.

Re: orchestras

They did threaten to close both them they had a big report written saying what the options were. one option was to close them. The other to move the NSO to the NCH with RTÉ involvement, the other to close the NSO and another to close the NCO.

The Governmnet have decided to move the NSO to the NCH, with funding of €8m but with no RTÉ involvement as proposed by RTÉ.

RTÉ given 6million in savings.

Is DAB a trail service or a trial service?

Is DAB a trail service or a trial service?

What? did I missspelt somethink in my dyslexia rant. 'tis a frightful suitutaion if does find me uneducationed self in. :rolleyes:

What? did I missspelt somethink in my dyslexia rant. 'tis a frightful suitutaion if does find me uneducationed self in. :rolleyes:

I have no idea but both you and Kivaro used trail service so it was a genuine question. No need for the :rolleyes:

I have no idea but both you and Kivaro used trail service so it was a genuine question. No need for the :rolleyes:

Sorry, though you were being a Spelling Nazi.

I swapped the spelling half way down, so I wasn't aware of the misspelling.

Sorry, though you were being a Spelling Nazi.

I swapped the spelling half way down, so I wasn't aware of the misspelling.

Time to invest in a spell czech program, methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

I wonder how hard RTE will persue the Varadkar story?

Advertisement