Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    I wonder how hard RTE will persue the Varadkar story?

My view is they definitely wont fan the flames but if the story isn't showing signs of dying by monday they'll half heartedly follow up on it but their hearts wont be in it, not when there aren't any shinners involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

My view is they definitely wont fan the flames but if the story isn't showing signs of dying by monday they'll half heartedly follow up on it but their hearts wont be in it, not when there aren't any shinners involved
    RTE are most definitely handling the story with kids gloves.
    And the reason why?
    They expect Varadkar to be taoiseach again in over a year, and they want him to provide the additional finances required to keep RTE's highly paid stars and staff at their current luxurious levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Kivaro wrote: »
    RTE are most definitely handling the story with kids gloves.
    And the reason why?
    They expect Varadkar to be taoiseach again in over a year, and they want him to provide the additional finances required to keep RTE's highly paid stars and staff at their current luxurious levels.

I feel like they're putting all their resources into the US election, hoping this blows over...

If Trump wins (which, sadly, is looking more and more likely) Leo's in trouble.
    Lots of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Anybody know if the TV licence inspectors are currently working or not? I presume with the current restrictions that they are not working doing house calls?

Of course I’m not suggesting that people don’t need a license if the inspectors are not working and I have obviously got mine up to date it’s just that I look forward to verifying with these agents of the state that my license is up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

They are definitely calling to houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Anybody know if the TV licence inspectors are currently working or not? I presume with the current restrictions that they are not working doing house calls?

Of course I’m not suggesting that people don’t need a license if the inspectors are not working and I have obviously got mine up to date it’s just that I look forward to verifying with these agents of the state that my license is up to date.

You are entered in the AN POST database as having paid your licence so they won't be around, If you want a visit, stop paying it and they will send your warning letters and eventually an inspector will show up. For your information there are between 45 and 55 of them.
    There are 85 full time staff, including 45 permanent inspectors, involved in the process as well as up to 10 additional temporary inspectors as needed.

source

For your information the TV licence inspector technically has a power to enter your house (without any particular suspicion or reason) to see if you have a TV (Broadcasting act 2009).
    (3) An officer of an issuing agent may enter at any reasonable time any premises or specified place for the purposes of ascertaining whether there is a television set there and a television licence is for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place authorising the keeping of a television set at the premises or specified place.

source

They are moving to tax us whether we watch RTE or not, the euphemisticly named device independent charge being tacked onto the local property tax. i.e. we will be taxed whether or not we use RTE services.

As always contact your local TD if you disagree.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

For your information the TV licence inspector technically has a power to enter your house (without any particular suspicion or reason) to see if you have a TV (Broadcasting act 2009).

They are moving to tax us whether we watch RTE or not, the euphemisticly named device independent charge being tacked onto the local property tax. i.e. we will be taxed whether or not we use RTE services.

As always contact your local TD if you disagree.

No that reports on the shelf. New one has begun will be ready in 9 months.
    https://futureofmediacommission.ie/
    eolas@futureofmediacommission.ie or info@futureofmediacommission.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

RTE have been a great platform for Leo. Who can remember his staged managed coming out with Miriam. Suppose that is one way to survive the Dept of health. RTE stand in judgment of the enemies and gloss over those they endorse. Did you not know liberals can do no wrong.

rightmove wrote: »
    RTE have been a great platform for Leo. Who can remember his staged managed coming out with Miriam. Suppose that is one way to survive the Dept of health. RTE stand in judgment of the enemies and gloss over those they endorse. Did you not know liberals can do no wrong.

And the interview with his mum and dad that was taken down from the RTE site because it was clearly manipulated and coaxed to make him look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,845 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So why'd they take it down then?

If you're going to come up with a conspiracy theory, it has to make some sort of sense.

BTW I think a universal charge is the way to go.

Cut out evasion and the cost of collection. Win-win.

Reduce the charge and obtain the same income. Win-win-win.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

BTW I think a universal charge is the way to go.

Cut out evasion and the cost of collection. Win-win.

Reduce the charge and obtain the same income. Win-win-win.

What happens after this?

What do you mean what happens after this? The sun rises and people get on with their lives, I expect.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

What do you mean what happens after this? The sun rises and people get on with their lives, I expect.

But we'll see RTÉ improve and provide Public Service Broadcasting. They'll invest more in Drama, Children's TV, News content, women's and minority sports coverage, scripted comedy?

Or will they increase funding to 2fm and give pay rises to their top stars?

What they do with the money has no relevance to the method of raising it. As I said, doing away with evasion and eliminating the cost of collection means more money so I think the fee should be cut correspondingly to keep the funding level the same. The public have suffered enough of RTE's poor quality output tbh so there is no way they should be given more money.

What they do with the money has no relevance to the method of raising it. As I said, doing away with evasion and eliminating the cost of collection means more money so I think the fee should be cut correspondingly to keep the funding level the same. The public have suffered enough of RTE's poor quality output tbh so there is no way they should be given more money.

Sorry I though you were suggesting adding more to the pool that will constantly call for more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,507 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why are RTE wasting their time (and our money) live broadcasting the US election - waste of money, just give the results on the news in the morning
    Apart from the fact that they are way behind in the results how exactly does it affect Ireland who wins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

fritzelly wrote: »
    Why are wasting their time (and our money) live broadcasting the US election - waste of money, just give the results on the news in the morning
    Apart from the fact that they are way behind in the results how exactly does it affect Ireland who wins?

It does affect us a bit - but no need for the live coverage and certainly no need for the absolutely biased trump bash fest every time the news is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,560 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why are RTE wasting their time (and our money) live broadcasting the US election - waste of money, just give the results on the news in the morning

They are backing Team Biden, you won't see much after tomorrow when Trump wins, they backed the wrong horse again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Have you looked at their coverage right now? ..3 people in a room that looks like it held a wedding last night....really amateurish looking. Not much money been spent on this.
    They'll probably repeat it 10 times over the next 12 months.

gifted wrote: »
    Have you looked at their coverage right now? ..3 people in a room that looks like it held a wedding last night....really amateurish looking. Not much money been spent on this.
    They'll probably repeat it 10 times over the next 12 months.

I assume this is Morning Ireland they are broadcasting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭bigroad

They have their reporter going up and down the main st of Ballina asking stupid question s to the locals about what they think about the election results in the US.

bigroad wrote: »
    They have their reporter going up and down the main st of Ballina asking stupid question s to the locals about what they think about the election results in the US.

Embarrassing stuff to be honest, same with Doonbeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Embarrassing stuff to be honest, same with Doonbeg

But did you see how they did it? Up and down ballina interviewing everyone, then wet empty doonbeg, so blatant lol.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    But did you see how they did it? Up and down ballina interviewing everyone, then wet empty doonbeg, so blatant lol.

Didn't see it im afraid, was listening on the wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I see Donal is back on RTÉ frying some steaks, with his hair dyed grey, presumably as an attempt to be taken more seriously.....

It’s nice that when his Los Angeles adventure didn’t work out he was back on the RTÉ train quicker than his hair was dyed.....

Mrs browns boys Christmas special and the Brendan grace tribute. On again tonight on the main Tv channel if anyone wants to catch them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Mrs browns boys Christmas special and the Brendan grace tribute. On again tonight on the main Tv channel if anyone wants to catch them
    Pure and utter contempt ... RTE has for the Irish public. Well, for the paying, thinking public.
    RTE keep getting away with this terrible service because ...... they can.

RTE; the quango that keeps taking and taking.

I suppose RTE are thinking if Brendan Grace got 40 years out of the same jokes, one more go around the block couldn't hurt :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭65535

Don't watch any TV myself but cant help seeing the billboard adverts for Claire Byrne being touted as the new Marian Finucane (RIP) who was a formidable presenter.
    Full ads like that don't come cheap.

• Advertisement

I suppose RTE are thinking if Brendan Grace got 40 years out of the same jokes, one more go around the block couldn't hurt :rolleyes:

And he used to steal material... :/

Shame.

Advertisement