Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Look forward to hearing tubs this evening on the late late show telling us how we are all in this together

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

National Union of Journalists now calling for a review...

Yikes... not a good look for RTe. Especially their 'we're all in this together' bullcrap.
    just an arse covering statement https://www.nuj.org.uk/news/covid-breaches-rte/

Boggles wrote: »
    Would they ever fúck of with their Helen Lovejoy'esque nonsense.

Nipping in to have a photo with someone wouldn't even deem you a close contact under the HSE definition.

They shouldn't have done it, but the fake outrage is just plain silly.

I would definitely consider putting my arm round someone close contact and so would the HSE, the definition is not just about time but also proximity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Thought it was gas on the news, 100 year old man getting a drive by birthday sitting out in the rain - meanwhile RTE having a big party.

“The truth matters”

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

walshb wrote: »
    I am quite flabbergasted at RTEs people..

8 months they have been dining off incessant Covid coverage...Sharing every detail ad nauseum, and reminding us ad nauseam about sticking with the guidelines..

Correct ... this is the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    Just a reminder that Sean O'Rourke was sacked over Golfgate. It wasn't a night of it but it doesn't excuse it and it's reprehensible. The Head of News John Williams is in one of those photos.

Miriam O'Callaghan already had covid like, what ridiculous behaviour.

SOR wasn't sacked. He'd already retired. RTE decided not to give him a new freelance project, for now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 40,129 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I would definitely consider putting my arm round someone close contact and so would the HSE, the definition is not just about time but also proximity

Nope
    spending more than 15 minutes of face-to-face contact within 2 metres of someone who has COVID-19, indoors or outdoors

You can spend up to 2 hours with someone and not necessarily be deemed a close contact.
    Spending more than 2 hours in an indoor space with someone who has COVID-19 will sometimes count as close or casual contact. This could be an office or a classroom. But it will depend on the size of the room and other factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

It’s all about the optics. If you spend eight months fear mongering and lecturing the people on the need to stay at home, avoid all non essential trips and to keep social distancing then you best not be having party’s and photographs taken of you hugging people. All the while not wearing a mask.

They should all be made to walk the plank. But this Ireland so they’ll give a bogus apology and get on with it.

Is Eileen Dunne claiming that the RTE campus has been Covid free for the past 8 months? when she said “Particularly to RTÉ colleagues who have worked so hard to keep this campus Covid free over the past eight months. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/rt%C3%A9-presenters-apologise-after-social-distancing-breaches-1.4414675

Nope

You can spend up to 2 hours with someone and not necessarily be deemed a close contact.

yes and they were more then face to face contact they were in direct contact with each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    The Head of News John Williams is in one of those photos.

Good to put a face to the name of the guy who has an on going battle with Sharon niBheolain. She walked off the job just before she was due to present the news after a full blown argument with him in the newsroom last year and apparently there is no water beneath the bridge and its still bubbling away between the two of them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Good to put a face to the name of the guy who has an on going battle with Sharon niBheolain. She walked off the job just before she was due to present the news after a full blown argument with him in the newsroom last year and apparently there is no water beneath the bridge and its still bubbling away between the two of them

Apparently Mr. Williams isn't the most pleasant himself. I think he, much like Ms. Ni Bheolain, has many bridges burning. But all heresay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Thought it was gas on the news, 100 year old man getting a drive by birthday sitting out in the rain - meanwhile RTE having a big party.

“The truth matters”

But, he’s not in RTÉ!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭garrettod

Everyone should be calling for resignations across social media, linking to senior politicans and RTE - there's absolutely no way that this should be tolerated.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,551 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

On the plus side I didn't see the RTE News truth matters ad on TV at all today, must have been pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

On the plus side I didn't see the RTE News truth matters ad on TV at all today, must have been pulled.

Well that is a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Haven’t listened back yet but from the thread I do think Herr Duffy was stirring it a little, I wonder who he was having a dig-een at? The “we axed RTE for a spokesperson but day woodn’t give us one” was clearly a pop from de shmart-arse so to speak.

As many have pointed out the only reason he wasn’t there is he was on-air at the time. You can only imagine him being front and centre otherwise, whether he was invited or not. And then this story would never have been touched.

Edit: wrong thread, apologies, the phonetic writing is for a reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The RTE apologies were literally straight out of South Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Now's the time to cut the cord for RTE. Weeks listening to them going on about the Bobby Storey funeral literally dozens of news updates about it and teasing out every little details.they're now going to fall on their own swords. They've become a mouthpiece for government parties and I think it's time Fine Gaels and Fine Fail pay for them themselves if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

What’s the difference between a golf dinner and a leaving party? One got weeks and weeks of coverage and ended in resignations. The other seems to end with some mealy mouthed apology.

They should all be sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Watched the late late on the dodgy box for the first time in years, christ it's awful virtue signalling tripe.

Tuned in cos I heard Mary Robinson and Micheal J Fox were on.

They really straw manned it by showing men from 1990 saying Women belong in the kitchen and for making babies ... even in 1990 that wasn't a general opinion, even nowadays you could find gob****es with the same opinion - doesn't reflect attitudes in todays society at all.

And that band of women - awful ****e, "they won't make it to the top of the charts because of a conspiracy against women making it ..." ... NO, you won't make it to the top cos it's a terrible song !! - that's it .

Defund that shyte .

Oh this ain't over for them. Guarantee you, behind the scenes, heads are gonna roll over this.
    When the government and the Union of Journalists are getting involved, and staff at RTE are raging from within (many who either had it, or know people who had it)... you can't just brush this off with an apology.

Oh this ain't over for them. Guarantee you, behind the scenes, heads are gonna roll over this.
    When the government and the Union of Journalists are getting involved, and staff at RTE are raging from within (many who either had it, or know people who had it)... you can't just brush this off with an apology.

Really? How do you know?

Really? How do you know?

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/rte-gathering-fury-among-staff-after-stars-covid-gaffe-39772635.html

It was in the Independent.
    Other staff feel their hard work throughout the pandemic has now been undermined.

“We can’t talk to each other at our desks, we can’t go for coffee or share birthday cake, we’re in every day exposing ourselves and putting ourselves at risk and working to serve the public and then this goes and undoes it all,” one RTÉ journalist told the Irish Independent.

We can’t talk to each other at our desks, we can’t go for coffee or share birthday cake, we’re in every day exposing ourselves and putting ourselves at risk and working to serve the public and then this goes and undoes it all,” one RTÉ journalist told the Irish Independent.

Why not? :confused:

I imagine it is one of those phantom quotes, but either way hardly raging enough to start an internal coup to get half dozen plus people sacked.

Yellow card for stupidity, but to start sacking people for posing for a photo would be next level dangerous stupidity.

Why not? :confused:

I imagine it is one of those phantom quotes, but either way hardly raging enough to start an internal coup to get half dozen plus people sacked.

Yellow card for stupidity, but to start sacking people for posing for a photo would be next level dangerous stupidity.

RTE probably have restrictions that the 'lesser' staff were following rigidly...

Now you see this s***e being pulled. and imagine how you'd feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

RTE won't have the balls to get rid of anyone, not a chance.

The only thing I think that might happen, if it doesn't die down in the next week, is that some may get less screen/air time. Or perhaps given a golden handshake if they are near retirement (what age is Dobbo?).

But no-one is getting let go over this, not a chance.

RTE probably have restrictions that the 'lesser' staff were following rigidly...

Now you see this s***e being pulled. and imagine how you'd feel.
    We can’t talk to each other at our desks

That is fair rigid all right, I'm also assuming it's complete bollíx.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say what they mean is that they can't talk to each other at their desks without wearing masks......thats a different thing.

And of course, that would be the right thing to do.

The stupid thing about the photos released is that some of them are actually holding the masks in their hands, so probably either took them off for the photos or else were just carrying them around without using them.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd say what they mean is that they can't talk to each other at their desks without wearing masks......thats a different thing.

And of course, that would be the right thing to do.

The stupid thing about the photos released is that some of them are actually holding the masks in their hands, so probably either took them off for the photos or else were just carrying them around without using them.

Tbf, if the RTE studios get shut down, Tubridy will have nobody to interview. The Canteen's already closed due to Covid-that's meant Tubridy has had to pay money to get actual guests on his show... tho he's getting them at a bargain, cos lockdown means they can do interviews over zoom/ teams.

All it takes is one woke celeb to be like 'I'm not talking to RTE because ya feckers flaunted Covid rules'... and they'll have to start making firings as a gesture of 'fixing the problem'.
    (I'd say Blathnaid might be first to go-she's got a target on her back since she decided to sue RTE, especially after the whole Sheana Keane debacle).

Advertisement