Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Tbf, if the RTE studios get shut down, Tubridy will have nobody to interview. The Canteen's already closed due to Covid-that's meant Tubridy has had to pay money to get actual guests on his show... tho he's getting them at a bargain, cos lockdown means they can do interviews over zoom/ teams.

All it takes is one woke celeb to be like 'I'm not talking to RTE because ya feckers flaunted Covid rules'... and they'll have to start making firings as a gesture of 'fixing the problem'.
    (I'd say Blathnaid might be first to go-she's got a target on her back since she decided to sue RTE, especially after the whole Sheana Keane debacle).

Please god

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Slightly off topic.
    Why is there so many visitors to the RTE webpage from S. Korea.

Visitors by Country

Ireland
    73.2%
    United States
    8.4%
    South Korea
    4.5%

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/rte.ie#section_traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 82,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Please god

I get the feeling she's there for life, whoy would she go, basically can never be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

RTE probably have restrictions that the 'lesser' staff were following rigidly...

Now you see this s***e being pulled. and imagine how you'd feel.

the receptionist staff arn't lesser staff though?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Oh this ain't over for them. Guarantee you, behind the scenes, heads are gonna roll over this.
    When the government and the Union of Journalists are getting involved, and staff at RTE are raging from within (many who either had it, or know people who had it)... you can't just brush this off with an apology.

it was NUJ members who broke the guidelines?

why does the Independent say
    RTÉ staff are “furious” after some of the top earners at the broadcaster ignored social distancing guidelines and posed for photos without masks at a retirement gathering.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/rte-gathering-fury-among-staff-after-stars-covid-gaffe-39772635.html

are the receptionist staff top earners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Slightly off topic.

Visitors by Country

Ireland
    73.2%
    United States
    8.4%
    South Korea
    4.5%

To watch and listen to world class broadcasting talent like Tubs and D’Arcy, and to learn English and how to pronounce words correctly under Mr. Duffy’s tutelage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Slightly off topic.

Visitors by Country

Ireland
    73.2%
    United States
    8.4%
    South Korea
    4.5%

Bots, potential hackers and more possibly people using a VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

And that band of women - awful ****e, "they won't make it to the top of the charts because of a conspiracy against women making it ..." ... NO, you won't make it to the top cos it's a terrible song !! - that's it .

Defund that shyte .

I haven't heard this song yet, but their first one is awful. It's so jarring moving between the different voices. If they stuck to one or two it's be a decent song.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

McGaggs wrote: »
    I haven't heard this song yet, but their first one is awful. It's so jarring moving between the different voices. If they stuck to one or two it's be a decent song.

Last charity single folks tried (for Pieta House) was a total disaster...

Both in sales, and in quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zcr4CUhQls

So I see RTE now have to prove to the gardai that the party was not pre-planned, and was instead an impromptu event.

It will be pretty hard to explain away the special edition RTE guide, with the retiring staff member on the on the cover, as impromptu, innit?

Crowd of GENIUSES at that station...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

As if the gardai are really gonna do anything anyway

fritzelly wrote: »
    As if the gardai are really gonna do anything anyway

IT depends-if they find the party was 'last minute' then they'll be fine...

But if not, other media outlets will have a FIELD day blasting them for weeks and months.

Fun times for the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It was no way impromptu, cakes, balloons, and everyone there ffs

Yup...

Gonna be fun trying to explain that to an Oireachtas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Pictures of yer wan plastered all over the place,

Were they always there?

balloons. Just sprung up??

Impromptu, my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

They really take us for mugs. Now wash your hands and pay them their €160.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Must say I got a laugh out of David McCullough on the Six One news introducing a story about himself breaking social distancing rules complete with his photo with Miriam and Phil Collins

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Watched the late late on the dodgy box for the first time in years, christ it's awful virtue signalling tripe.

Tuned in cos I heard Mary Robinson and Micheal J Fox were on.

They really straw manned it by showing men from 1990 saying Women belong in the kitchen and for making babies ... even in 1990 that wasn't a general opinion, even nowadays you could find gob****es with the same opinion - doesn't reflect attitudes in todays society at all.

And that band of women - awful ****e, "they won't make it to the top of the charts because of a conspiracy against women making it ..." ... NO, you won't make it to the top cos it's a terrible song !! - that's it .

Defund that shyte .

Happened to watch it last night. How to get a plug in for the Toy Show at every corner. And then watched the video and realised that a certain Irish Times journalist's twin girls got to that bizarre Christmas song all year on social media she's being posting videos of her twins singing, followed by allot of, they are wonderful.

Who told you you could sing?

The internet, social media, youtube, facebook, twitter and the world!

I've just watched the news on BBC1, to catch the headlines, and then nipped over to RTE 6.1 news to complete my news fest for the evening.

What occurred to me, and I'm surprised I hadn't copped this before, was that the BBC has one news presenter on, whereas RTE fields two. Now, Dee, there's a cost saving opportunity for you.

I've just watched the news on BBC1, to catch the headlines, and then nipped over to RTE 6.1 news to complete my news fest for the evening.

What occurred to me, and I'm surprised I hadn't copped this before, was that the BBC has one news presenter on, whereas RTE fields two. Now, Dee, there's a cost saving opportunity for you.

Ah but then Dee would counter that RTÉ doesn't provide individual regional news programmes and doesn't provide news on TV before 1pm!

(Of course as a public service broadcaster it possibly should!) They can never win.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Ah but then Dee would counter that RTÉ doesn't provide individual regional news programmes and doesn't provide news on TV before 1pm!

(Of course as a public service broadcaster it possibly should!) They can never win.

They used to provide the news before 1pm... it was hosted by Keelin Shanley. :( (RIP)

There just wasn't a take for it, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

There were some few attempts to set up local TV stations in the 1970s and 1980s but the scum in government at the time wanted to protect RTE. Even the whole 2FM thing was an attempt to protect their buddies in RTE. If Ireland had a more enlightened/non-gombeen broadcast industry, then the cities would have their own TV stations much like some of them have radio stations. However, RTE would always be just a Dublin station with vague affectations of relevance to Ireland. And that just doesn't bring in a wider audience in a tough market.

Regards...jmcc

Slightly off topic.

Visitors by Country

Ireland
    73.2%
    United States
    8.4%
    South Korea
    4.5%

Because Alexa is rubbish. It gets some of its visitor stats from a browser plugin that records the sites a user visits. It is also wide open to being gamed for search engine optimisation purposes. Though given it is RTE, it is surprising that it doesn't have as many visitors from North Korea.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    There were some few attempts to set up local TV stations in the 1970s and 1980s but the scum in government at the time wanted to protect RTE. Even the whole 2FM thing was an attempt to protect their buddies in RTE. If Ireland had a more enlightened/non-gombeen broadcast industry, then the cities would have their own TV stations much like some of them have radio stations. However, RTE would always be just a Dublin station with vague affectations of relevance to Ireland. And that just doesn't bring in a wider audience in a tough market.

Regards...jmcc

2000s had city channel on UPC

TV3 should have been set up like ITV, but same old excuse we are a small country. Digital TV provide another opertunity but BAI ignored it thinking that pay tv might work on DTT when it failed to take hold in must countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,838 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't think we can count a few lads in the late 70s/early 80s who wanted to play pirate VHS films over the air as "regional broadcasting"

National media is finding it hard enough at the moment, where's the advertising revenue to keep any sort of non-crap regional broadcaster on the air going to come from? The saorview network isn't set up for it either.

Even in the UK, the audience for city based stations is tiny.

We should have got local radio a lot sooner, but it's easily forgotten now that the UK had no non-BBC radio until the mid 70s and it took many years to roll out to the lower population regions.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

2000s had city channel on UPC

TV3 should have been set up like ITV, but same old excuse we are a small country. Digital TV provide another opertunity but BAI ignored it thinking that pay tv might work on DTT when it failed to take hold in must countries.
    The problem with BAI is that it is a bunch of politically appointed people who were, and still are, quite clueless about Pay TV, Digital Tv and the Internet. When it came to Pay TV, there were a lot of Cargo Cult types who wouldn't have been out of place in the Irish Times "technology/lifestyle" section. The reasons why Pay TV didn't take off on DTT were simple. The programming wasn't there, the technology wasn't secure and the audience was too small. Ironically, RTE had a good DTT solution in the 1990s but it never got a chance. Instead there was this Dinny O'Brien abomination that crashed before launch:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_TV_Ireland

Regards...jmcc

I don't think we can count a few lads in the late 70s/early 80s who wanted to play pirate VHS films over the air as "regional broadcasting"
    Was a bit more than that. These people were generally from Pirate Radio and Pirate Radio was more successful that RTE in their local markets. They represented a real commercial threat to RTE's advertising revenue.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

They used to provide the news before 1pm... it was hosted by Keelin Shanley. :( (RIP)

There just wasn't a take for it, tbh.

Maybe if the started at 6.30/7.00am instead of 9.00am when most people are gone to work it might have gone down a lot better.

National media is finding it hard enough at the moment, where's the advertising revenue to keep any sort of non-crap regional broadcaster on the air going to come from? The saorview network isn't set up for it either.

I mean to say a regional set of broadcaster like ITV, with a composite company providing national programming. You'd possibly only get one Regional show, which may not be along county lines, instead areas would have to merge you'd probably only get 4 - 5 local areas, and would only marginally be along provincial lines, if even. By now there be local variants of Virgin Media as an entire company, much like what has happen with ITV.

The local UK channels are not much more than community TV, with no national footprint, unlike ITV of old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

jmcc wrote: »
    Because Alexa is rubbish. It gets some of its visitor stats from a browser plugin that records the sites a user visits. It is also wide open to being gamed for search engine optimisation purposes. Though given it is RTE, it is surprising that it doesn't have as many visitors from North Korea.

Regards...jmcc

It might well be from NK...possibly some spies within South Korea using the player as a means to contact their handlers remotely. I mean....could you see any self-respecting South Korean cyber affairs investigator subjecting themselves to digging through the RTE Player for more than 5 seconds?

Advertisement