Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jmcc wrote:
    I am all for critical national infrastructure remaining in state hands.

A public infrastructure bank should be setup for such activities, revenue from the use of services could be used to service the debts required from such a bank in order to create the infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 40,129 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

buried wrote: »
    I won't begrudge anybody into what they might enjoy, but at the same time lets not f**king fool ourselves either. The Toy show is nothing but a marketing gimmick, a huge advertisement for international toy companies such as the likes of Disney.corp to flaunt their wares for the splurge over the next month. If any adult actually thinks the likes of Tubridy and his crew up in RTE are doing this shtick to 'make us all feel good' and nothing else, time to wise the f**k up.

Nope.

There was no real toys on display last night, focus was on the kids.

The ones he did promote were largely Irish made.

jmcc wrote: »
    A 5G approach can make money. The Saorsat is primarily a one-way system while 5G is a two-way system that has many more options. In addition to TV delivery, it is possible to charge for other services with a 5G connection. It is that simple.

Regards...jmcc

No it can't.

If an ISP is to setup 5G in a remote area with a handful of users they will lose money. It's not that difficult to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

As long as your young ones are enjoying themselves that's all that matters. Probably and hopefully the only year we can give a pass to the noise as long as the young ones can feel a bit of Christmas early.

It would be good if RTÉ made programmes for children year round not just at Christmas or because of a pandemic.

Elmo wrote: »
    It would be good if RTÉ made programmes for children year round not just at Christmas or because of a pandemic.

They do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I won't begrudge anybody into what they might enjoy, but at the same time lets not f**king fool ourselves either. The Toy show is nothing but a marketing gimmick, a huge advertisement for international toy companies such as the likes of Disney.corp to flaunt their wares for the splurge over the next month. If any adult actually thinks the likes of Tubridy and his crew up in RTE are doing this shtick to 'make us all feel good' and nothing else, time to wise the f**k up.

There was very little branding or talking about toys this year. Just focusing on the kids. And given people are choosing to watch it and it's not being forced on them it's much more similar to choosing to flick through the Argos or Smyth's catalogue than it is an Ad.

Something simple and silly can be wholesome and entertaining. Everything doesn't need to be serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Hate horse racing but this female was there on merit and RTE let her go.
    https://evoke.ie/2020/01/31/showbiz/tracy-piggott-rte

She's an excellent presenter and knowledgeable. No doubt they will get vogue to replace her and talk about ladies hats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

jmcc wrote: »
    A 5G approach can make money. The Saorsat is primarily a one-way system while 5G is a two-way system that has many more options. In addition to TV delivery, it is possible to charge for other services with a 5G connection. It is that simple.

Regards...jmcc

5G is a communications protocol. It isn't really suitable for TV delivery.

Try watching YouTube over a data connection in many various locations. That's about the best that could be achieved. It's seriously dependant on proximity of the mast and obstructions in between. Now consider 5G has significantly less range than 4G. You need to be within 100meters of the mast in many cases with no obstructions between you and the mast. 5G offered high speeds than 4G in well served areas and lower speeds in poorly served areas.

4G is actually much more suited to TV delivery than 5G

It's not reliable enough for TV compared to our current solutions. You have to run expensive cabling to every mast so it would be hugely more expensive. And many masts.would only serve one property.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Bowlardo wrote: »
    She's an excellent presenter and knowledgeable. No doubt they will get vogue to replace her and talk about ladies hats

Worse, they got Ted Walsh's daughter, Kate, to replace her.

The unfortunate thing for Tracy was that her private life (and the problems within) crept into the media.
    Once your private stuff overshadows your TV stuff...it's a ticking time bomb until you're replaced.

How can an ex jockey with a life time of experience in racing be "worse" than a "model"?

Truly bizarre statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Boggles wrote: »
    How can an ex jockey with a life time of experience in racing be "worse" than a "model"?

Truly bizarre statement.

Was Tracey Piggott a model onetime? I do believe she is the daughter of the greatest jockey of all time with a lifetime spent around horses and in the horse racing industry and an ex jockey herself, so I suppose that amounts to something

Bowlardo wrote: »
    No doubt they will get vogue to replace her and talk about ladies hats
    Was Tracey Piggott a model onetime? I do believe she is the daughter of the greatest jockey of all time with a lifetime spent around horses and in the horse racing industry and an ex jockey herself, so I suppose that amounts to something

Vogue wasn't.

Vogue wasn't.

Truly bizarre statement.

It's not the jockey I have issues with (kinda) it's the Walshes.

Her brother, her dad, and herself.

It's not the jockey I have issues with (kinda) it's the Walshes.

Her brother, her dad, and herself.

What issues have you?

Do you know them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

fritzelly wrote: »
    This is all getting very tiresome
    I would like to second this motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Vincent was probably the best of both worlds in that his combative style was very entertaining and brought in good viewer numbers but it wasnt completely dumbed down either mainly due to the vast knowledge of current affairs by Browne himself. He would often be quoting the constitution or some obscure legal case from decades back when making his points. In many ways it was educational along with the sh1t hitting the fan at regular intervals.

Would agree that Prime Time is a shadow of its former self. I find it hard to believe Miriam is getting 300k a year to read off a teleprompter in 30 second segments. Thats all she does really, introduce some video package for 30 seconds and then kick back for 10 minutes, do it again for the next segment and then again for the programs conclusion. Shes just a presenter who reads off a teleprompter, shes not a journalist. Its astonishing she is on 300k for the little work she does.

Miriam has been shìte for years but she's got tits so she gets to stay. Look at what happened to Brian Dobson, no tits, no chance.

Switch over to Newsnight and watch Emily Matis as an example of being there on merit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭garrettod

Kivaro wrote: »
    I would like to second this motion.

What motion? 😊

Thanks,

G.

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Miriam has been shìte for years but she's got tits so she gets to stay. Look at what happened to Brian Dobson, no tits, no chance.

Switch over to Newsnight and watch Emily Matis as an example of being there on merit

While the info is slightly out of date, on the link below - it looks like Emily gets paid a lot less than our beloved Miriam too!

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jul/11/bbc-reduces-pay-gap-with-more-female-stars-earning-over-150000

.... Absolute madness !!!!!!!!

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say the success of the Toy Show this year, including the raising of 6mill for childrens charities, has probably saved Dee and RTE from getting asked any difficult questions about their finances for a while.

Dee owes Ryan and the LLS staffers a pay rise!;)

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd say the success of the Toy Show this year, including the raising of 6mill for childrens charities, has probably saved Dee and RTE from getting asked any difficult questions about their finances for a while.

Dee owes Ryan and the LLS staffers a pay rise!;)

Not even close to being funny :(

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

Back in the day, when the LLS was at the height of its powers- Gay Byrne would have been the one paying out 6 million to the charities.
    Easily-they could just throw the money away, because the LLS would pull in huge amounts in advertising.

Wouldn't need a fundraiser.

I think it's a bit rich to ask folks to pay money into a fundraiser when so many are facing an uncertain future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Back in the day, when the LLS was at the height of its powers- Gay Byrne would have been the one paying out 6 million to the charities.
    Easily-they could just throw the money away, because the LLS would pull in huge amounts in advertising.

Wouldn't need a fundraiser.

I think it's a bit rich to ask folks to pay money into a fundraiser when so many are facing an uncertain future.

In all fairness you don't have to pay money into a fundraiser if you don't want to or indeed can't.
    Gay Byrne and I'd say Ryan Tubridy could never afford to pay 6 million into anything as well as they've both done in their relative careers and sure who knows, Ryan could have made a donation himself either way...

That said there are generally questions to be asked about the need for charities in the first instance in a country that should do things far better but that's not a discussion for here.

Yeah, fúck sake asking people to make a completely voluntary donation for child cancer!!

Bloody Bastárds!

**** Shakes Fist *****

Yeah, fúck sake asking people to make a completely voluntary donation for child cancer!!

Bloody Bastárds!

**** Shakes Fist *****

So was the fund to stop child cancer, or give children cancer?

You've got me confused as to what it was fundraising for.

So was the fund to stop child cancer, or give children cancer?

That ain't funny lad.

Poor form out of you.

I would have liked to see the RTE high earners lead by example - they could easily have offered a weeks wages, for example, and never even noticed it.

Ironically, that way, the population would still be making the donation, given we pay the licence fee, that in turn pays RTE staff.

Thanks,

G.

garrettod wrote: »
    I would have liked to see the RTE high earners lead by example - they could easily have offered a weeks wages, for example, and never even noticed it.

Ironically, that way, the population would still be making the donation, given we pay the licence fee, that in turn pays RTE staff.

The Beeb docked people's wages if they weren't on TV. Didn't see RTE do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The Beeb docked people's wages if they weren't on TV. Didn't see RTE do the same.

They get a stint on the LLS if they ever seem to be forgotten about

• Registered Users Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

garrettod wrote: »

low earners that breaks rules shouldn't be punished?

• Advertisement

'Late Late Show draws record 1.7 million viewers'... :eek:(

...across the world...

from 138 countries... :rolleyes:(ahhh... so it's a number pulled out of their butts)

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/late-late-toy-show-watched-by-record-breaking-17m-viewers-across-the-world-39809772.html

RTE have a habit of inflating the figures when it comes to Ryan's TV shows.

Gay Byrne would easily pull in 1.7 million figures, as would Pat Kenny...

From TV alone, and not by inflating figures.

When Ryan Tubridy was presenting the Rose of Tralee (And making an absolute pigs ear of it) his numbers were well below Marty Whelan's. (Marty drew about a million plus viewers per night).
    Ryan got about 600, 000 viewers per night, but RTE would double them, adding the viewers before the newsbreak, and after the newsbreak, to give the 1.2 million figure.
    Didn't matter they were the same people tho, did it?

Especially when the figures kept dropping while he was there.

Advertisement