Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

As I understand in other countries, including England with the BBC- they have a license fee like ours but as such they don't receive or generate advertising revenue as other private stations do.
    Here we have the worst of both worlds- an extortionate and ludicrous subvention to keep an eye wateringly expensive gravy train going supported further by private advertising revenue. And far as I'm aware, they still can't make a profit or break even.
    They are a classic quango living in a protected bubble hiding behind stupid legislation that keeps them there in the first place. The lot should be flogged off (not that there'd be many takers) and the "public broadcasting remit" tendered to prospective stations or production companies as appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

With all that's going on in the world today, including the 29 children among dozens of others killed today in an air strike in Yemen, and things kicking off again in Gaza with the possibility of a large-scale military offensive by Israel in the Gaza Strip, but what does RTE kick off the 6.1 and 9 o' clock news?

Yes, the lead story on both news programs was about a scammer forcing her 6 children to sleep at a Garda station. Now they didn't use the word "scammer" or "scam artist", but that's what 95% of the population believe. I am sure though that the editors and investigators did a full and impartial research of the story. RTE in their thorough investigation though missed the scammer's Facebook page that exposed her true intent and dubious background, and they missed the many reported court appearances by the scammer and her history of anti-social behaviour and criminality.

RTE News is a disgrace with little to no credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Care to share the FB page, read this in a few other places

But the sob story is always good for local news like RTE - they barely ever touch on world news unless they have a reporter there sapping up money from the licence payer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

road_high wrote: »
    As I understand in other countries, including England with the BBC- they have a license fee like ours but as such they don't receive or generate advertising revenue as other private stations do.
    Here we have the worst of both worlds- an extortionate and ludicrous subvention to keep an eye wateringly expensive gravy train going supported further by private advertising revenue. And far as I'm aware, they still can't make a profit or break even.
    They are a classic quango living in a protected bubble hiding behind stupid legislation that keeps them there in the first place. The lot should be flogged off (not that there'd be many takers) and the "public broadcasting remit" tendered to prospective stations or production companies as appropriate.

My understanding is that a licence fee plus advertising is quite common. You picked out the BBC, but they regard themselves as being an outlier in this respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thanks ButtersSuki. 297,000 earned by Duffy so far this year while he has already taken six weeks holidays. The Irish people are being taken for mugs by RTE.

Give Joe twice what he would be earning as a social worker,or whatever it is he was. Bet he stays.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

RTE is like Hotel California, you check in but you can never leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

RTE is like Hotel California, you check in but you can never leave!

Bit like Carole Coleman and George Lee and Charles Bird and Valerie Cox

“You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave”

Managed to lose Bowman and Pay Kenny,two epic political interviewers and replace them with Claire Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

kneemos wrote: »
    Managed to lose Bowman and Pay Kenny,two epic political interviewers and replace them with Claire Byrne.

Typo in bold? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

How many people who work in RTE got in because of relatives or friends who worked there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Kivaro wrote: »
    With all that's going on in the world today, including the 29 children among dozens of others killed today in an air strike in Yemen, and things kicking off again in Gaza with the possibility of a large-scale military offensive by Israel in the Gaza Strip, but what does RTE kick off the 6.1 and 9 o' clock news?

Yes, the lead story on both news programs was about a scammer forcing her 6 children to sleep at a Garda station. Now they didn't use the word "scammer" or "scam artist", but that's what 95% of the population believe. I am sure though that the editors and investigators did a full and impartial research of the story. RTE in their thorough investigation though missed the scammer's Facebook page that exposed her true intent and dubious background, and they missed the many reported court appearances by the scammer and her history of anti-social behaviour and criminality.

RTE News is a disgrace with little to no credibility.
    This needs highlighting in a big way.

Absolutely disgusting conduct by the national broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

steddyeddy wrote: »
    How many people who work in RTE got in because of relatives or friends who worked there?

75%?

If one digs deep enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

kneemos wrote: »

Well, Bowman I believe is retired or semi-retired. A fantastic impartial presenter who I always respected.
    This needs highlighting in a big way.

Absolutely disgusting conduct by the national broadcaster.

I didn't know about her scams-damn, that's a surprise.

I noticed none of the news outlets have 'spoken' to the mother. And many are questioning where the kids dad(s) is/ are.
    She certainly doesn't seem like a legit individual. She claimed she was offered a place but 'didn't like it'. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

steddyeddy wrote: »

I worked in RTE...unpaid student....one time the lighting guy's daughter was on make up and the sound lad's daughter was on wardrobe.
    How it works is they get in unpaid students for experience during the background slog and pre production, with the promise of credited paid work when it's being taped...but that's when the relatives come in and you hear nothing. Neither myself nor anyone else I'd worked with got the call back after weeks of 'experience'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I worked in RTE...unpaid student....one time the lighting guy's daughter was on make up and the sound lad's daughter was on wardrobe.
    How it works is they get in unpaid students for experience during the background slog and pre production, with the promise of credited paid work when it's being taped...but that's when the relatives come in and you hear nothing. Neither myself nor anyone else I'd worked with got the call back after weeks of 'experience'.
    lies

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Nicky Byrne on 200,000 a year. Grinds my gears. Hes got such a punchable face too.
    Doesn't even take the co-presenter he needs to hold his hand and do everything for him into account, nor probably the extra production staff/makeup for his ego.

It's unforgivable, but still not as bad as the Lottie Ryan situation.

14 year old transition year students would have been better than her, and have done the job for free.

I was on a bus today and had the misfortune to hear RTE radio coming from the speakers for the entire trip .

This Nicky Byrne person was on with his co presenter ( I think there was two co presenters on for a few minutes as well )

He gets 200,000 Euros a year for this drivel ?

At one stage he was telling "jokes" to people who rang in .

I've heard better jokes from a cheap Christmas cracker .

As for the music selection , crappy dance music from Scooter , or similar ( remember them ?)
    Sweet Jesus , how can anybody believe he warrants his salary .

Below , please find an open letter to Dee Forbes -

Dear Ms. Dee Forbes ,

Your organisation does not provide balanced unbiased news .

Your organisation does not represent value for money to the licence payer .

Your staff and "stars" are overpaid and most would find it near impossible to gain employment in a professionally run media organisation .

I suggest that you shove your "talented" stars the same place as the licence fee increase you want - up your hole !!!

:mad:

2FM is an endless array of gibberish. Dunno who the hell it's meant to appeal to.

Saw this on politics.ie

http://www.politics.ie/forum/media/162528-abolish-tv-licence-fee-11.html#post11325851

And that graph doesn't even give the full picture
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-does-your-licence-fee-pay-for-top13

Gives some idea of the value for money that the Irish licence fee gives

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

fritzelly wrote: »
    Saw this on politics.ie

http://www.politics.ie/forum/media/162528-abolish-tv-licence-fee-11.html#post11325851

And that graph doesn't even give the full picture
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-does-your-licence-fee-pay-for-top13

Gives some idea of the value for money that the Irish licence fee gives

And they still pay their high profile presenters less than RTE does.

• Advertisement

Take a look at Graham Norton - where do all the big stars go to advertise their film etc?

He's paid a fortune and makes a fortune for the channel - and not a penny is taken from Joe Public for it, we have the LLS trolling out the same ol' same ol'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

I see RTE are trotting out the now annual, "lets make up some sort of show for brendan o connor because we fecked him over by hiring ray darcy"
    more endless tripe and "gossip" with some z lister, first up is majella o donnell, a woman who happens to be married to a singer auld ones love... and this is what dee forbes wants us to folk out for a licence for?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mackmatic

I'm not paying a TV license when I don't even have any channels coming into the gaf.

Take me to court you absolute clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

fritzelly wrote: »
    Take a look at Graham Norton - where do all the big stars go to advertise their film etc?

He's paid a fortune and makes a fortune for the channel - and not a penny is taken from Joe Public for it, we have the LLS trolling out the same ol' same ol'

I guess there is a bigger cache of viewers in the UK to flog their wares to and so it's a case of two birds with one stone as the show is aired here too. Norton's pay for me is justified because he is brilliant at pretending that the films and songs the guests are promoting are great, although in fairness I'd say the celebs themselves feel the same way but it's a case of I scratch your back, you scratch mine. The typical way that an A-Lister might appear on the Late Late is if the product they're promoting has something or anything to do with Ireland.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

from said article;

"The stunning broadcaster"

Perhaps they mean stunning like being stunned after being hit by a stray hurley ?

Feeling vaguely dizzy and wanting to throw up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I've never had a TV licence and have been living out of home for 10+ years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've never had a TV licence and have been living out of home for 10+ years. :)

I've had one 20+ years. Where do i apply for a refund?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

My cousin had the same experience. Following extensive work experience and interning she was lead to an interview by a RTE employee who informed her that the position had already been filled and she shouldn't get her hopes up.

Advertisement