Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I believe, for legal reasons, they're not allowed comment on the incidents in Dublin due to the 'sensitivity' of the matter.

If there were a court case, RTE could be seen as unduly influencing the outcome of a trial.

I've never read such absolute nonsense. They reported on the Strokestown evictions, the Love Ulster Riots etc. There were court cases out of them and there was no mention of undue influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

It's some legal grey area bull crap.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/media-must-act-to-ensure-crime-reporting-is-fair-and-balanced-1.943313

There's also the reasons for the alleged inciting incident. It's still a sensitive topic, there's probably gonna be a an inquest as to the events leading up to it, and because of that, RTE have to sit on the sidelines.

There are also some very... dangerous, individuals stoking the flames rn.
    RTE put one foot wrong, and things could go very badly.

No criminal charges have been brought yet, so the sub judice rule doesn't apply now. Furthermore, the idea of an inquest jury being prejudiced is less serious than the idea of a criminal trial jury being prejudiced.

And who might those who are 'stoking the flames' be?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

No criminal charges have been brought yet, so the sub judice rule doesn't apply now. Furthermore, the idea of an inquest jury being prejudiced is less serious than the idea of a criminal trial jury being prejudiced.

And who might those who are 'stoking the flames' be?

When it applies to matters related to the Gardai, they have to be sensitive pending an inquest.

As for stoking the flames. Social media has made things a cesspit, honestly. Very easy for anyone to get folks angry.
    Lies spread faster than the truth gets time to put its shoes on.

We saw what happened in the US when social media went left unchecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

When it applies to matters related to the Gardai, they have to be sensitive pending an inquest.

As for stoking the flames. Social media has made things a cesspit, honestly. Very easy for anyone to get folks angry.
    Lies spread faster than the truth gets time to put its shoes on.

We saw what happened in the US when social media went left unchecked.

But failure to acknowledge the incidents shown in the videos shared on social media lets the proverbial wildfire spread, doesn't it?

RTÉ's only problem is an injunction that may prevent it from mentioning some details but there's no injunction that I know of. Surely, the only thing that matters on reporting is: is it legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Perry just stated on the 6.01 news that rte is to apologise re the new years eve blasphemy issue. It was against their own guidelines. This is the second time in recent weeks the rte has been incapable of following their own guidelines. This does well reflect well on the culture in the organisation in my opinion and makes me wonder what other guidelines they a liable to break that aren't as viable. I guess we'll never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Six One news still running at 50% duration seven days into the New Year despite all that’s going on in the world, presumably no change until next week. Smacks of laziness

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

amlinopta wrote: »
    Six One news still running at 50% duration seven days into the New Year despite all that’s going on in the world, presumably no change until next week. Smacks of laziness

There's barely enough news on our small island to fill the half hour slot. How many times do you want them to repeat the same bit of news they do have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Just in case you needed another reason not to pay the licence fee...

What in the name of f*ck is this **** on RTE2..."CLEAR HISTORY"

Absolute ****e...

Luke O'Neill is there fake laughing....is there no end to this pr1cks desire for attention?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just in case you needed another reason not to pay the licence fee...

What in the name of f*ck is this **** on RTE2..."CLEAR HISTORY"

Absolute ****e...

Luke O'Neill is there fake laughing....is there no end to this pr1cks desire for attention?

Can you elaborate please ?

Can you elaborate please ?

Im sorry, not really...i could only stomach a few minutes of it....

basically 5 odious people sitting around telling unfunny stories and fake laughing really loudly to make up for the lack of an audience....

I actually cant describe how bad it was....

I had to vent on here.....

Amazing that people pay the licence fee...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Im sorry, not really...i could only stomach a few minutes of it....

basically 5 odious people sitting around telling unfunny stories and fake laughing really loudly to make up for the lack of an audience....

I actually cant describe how bad it was....

I had to vent on here.....

Amazing that people pay the licence fee...

So just for clarity are you saying that you didn't watch the programme you are so critical of?

elperello wrote: »
    So just for clarity are you saying that you didn't watch the programme you are so critical of?

I tried....gave it maybe 5 minutes....

There was no way I was watching anymore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I saw the promo for it. It should come with a parental guidance warning. Looking at that Senator Lynn Ruane one and her false laugh was actually scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

You'll probably be counted as 500 viewers by RTE for advertising purposes. :)

The best thing that RTE could do, rather than run that dire Tubridy LLS, would be to give licence payers a free Netflix subscription.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ireland's national broadcaster not even aware where the border is.
    Height of laziness and/or ignorance.

ErKMMrxXYAA_i5c?format=jpg&name=small

https://www.irishmirror.ie/tv/rte-news-viewers-left-baffled-23283596

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Skyfloater wrote: »
    There's barely enough news on our small island to fill the half hour slot. How many times do you want them to repeat the same bit of news they do have?

The six one and nine o clock news are the same just with different presenters. The only slight difference this week was wednesdays 9oclock news with the riots in washington and even then the reporter didnt seem to have a clue what was going on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

retalivity wrote: »

The headline is worse , as if we’re “baffled “ at this , sitting at home scratching our heads shouting “how can this beeeeeee”

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

How long does it take to become comfortable in RTÉ?

https://twitter.com/WilliamsJon/status/1347236494721822724?s=19

Elmo wrote: »

He “doth protest too much, methinks"

Did the same thing happen in the Beeb? I think not

RTÉ repeating ‘The Test’ again....

Monday night at 8:30pm - prime time slot you’d say.....

It's because they can't compete with the soap operas (Coronation Street is on the same time, at 8.30).

If RTE put a new programme on at that time-it'll be buried, and a waste of money that they're already struggling to hold onto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The Oireachtais and the High Court are not public service broadcasters.

Disgraceful output over the Xmas and New Year period, it nothing new there.

Two things

1. I feel lucky to have a regular 9 - 5 last year & now this month
    2. I was lucky enough to take off on 22 dec and return the 4th Jan

As for not competing with coro st, not a great move but not everyone watches soaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

RTÉ repeating ‘The Test’ again....

Monday night at 8:30pm - prime time slot you’d say.....

See they Mrs Browns new year "special" repeated again this week aswell. OCarroll really is stealing a living off the BBC & RTE with that tripe

Two things

1. I feel lucky to have a regular 9 - 5 last year & now this month
    2. I was lucky enough to take off on 22 dec and return the 4th Jan

As for not competing with coro st, not a great move but not everyone watches soaps.

They bet against them, once-and lost heavily. RTE I mean.

Main problem is advertising-advertisers just won't pay to have their adverts aired during that time slot, because they know the audiences won't be there. They can pay to advertise on Corrie, which is more costly, but guarantees a wide audience.

For example, say a couple are living in a house, and only one watches the soaps. But the other person will be sitting on the couch, watching their phone or working on a tablet, while their partner watches Corrie or Emmerdale (to name a few different soaps).
    Advertisers have managed to reach both people, with a little extra spending.
    Now multiply that by 500,000 (the average audience for one episode of Corrie).

They bet against them, once-and lost heavily. RTE I mean.

Main problem is advertising-advertisers just won't pay to have their adverts aired during that time slot, because they know the audiences won't be there. They can pay to advertise on Corrie, which is more costly, but guarantees a wide audience.

For example, say a couple are living in a house, and only one watches the soaps. But the other person will be sitting on the couch, watching their phone or working on a tablet, while their partner watches Corrie or Emmerdale (to name a few different soaps).
    Advertisers have managed to reach both people, with a little extra spending.
    Now multiply that by 500,000 (the average audience for one episode of Corrie).

They did which show?

They did which show?

Remember Treasure Island? Or Treasure Ireland?

RTE's answer to Survivor?

Well, RTe had the show all set up for a Sunday. Sponsors and advertisers had paid up in advance, RTE had the schedule set (roughly months in advance too), the adverts were running, big money was paid down. Money was spent on NDA's so nobody would reveal who'd won etc.

Then Coronation Street announced that they were doing an episode, and it would be an hour long special that would air on Sunday. And it was set to air at the same time as the first episode of Treasure Island (IReland?) because the subject matter was rather sensitive. (Something about internet predators. Didn't go dark, or portray anything nasty-but the subject matter required them to show it later than normal).

Well, RTe had promised advertisers viewership in the 500, 000+ mark. The got less than half of that. And so advertisers wanted their money back. Or to get free advertising during another program with a guaranteed viewership.

Remember Treasure Island? Or Treasure Ireland?

RTE's answer to Survivor?

Well, RTe had the show all set up for a Sunday. Sponsors and advertisers had paid up in advance, RTE had the schedule set (roughly months in advance too), the adverts were running, big money was paid down. Money was spent on NDA's so nobody would reveal who'd won etc.

Then Coronation Street announced that they were doing an episode, and it would be an hour long special that would air on Sunday. And it was set to air at the same time as the first episode of Treasure Island (IReland?) because the subject matter was rather sensitive. (Something about internet predators. Didn't go dark, or portray anything nasty-but the subject matter required them to show it later than normal).

Well, RTe had promised advertisers viewership in the 500, 000+ mark. The got less than half of that. And so advertisers wanted their money back. Or to get free advertising during another program with a guaranteed viewership.

It is slightly different now and even then I have issues with the explanation though I understand it.

1. RTÉ ONE's prime time schedule (6 - 11) is made up of 25% repeats
    2. RTÉ2's prime time schedule is made up of 55% repeats
    3. When you exclude News from RTÉ ONE's prime time schedule 50% of programmes are repeats.
    4. When you exclude News from RTÉ2 .... well there is no news on RTÉ2

None of those 4 facts are due to Covid. This has been the case for at least a decade.

I'd argue Treasure Island (a New Zealand Suvivour knock off) is likely to attract the same type of people that watch Shortland Street (A New Zealand Knock off of Coronation Street).

I'd also argue, even back then, both RTÉ ONE and 2 should provided quality alternatives to TV3 (An Irish knock off of New Zealand's TV3) regardless of audience.

See what I did there!

It is slightly different and even then I have issues with the explanation though I understand it.

1. RTÉ ONE's prime time schedule (6 - 11) is made up of 25% repeats
    2. RTÉ2's prime time schedule is made up of 55% repeats
    3. When you exclude News from RTÉ ONE's prime time schedule 50% of programmes are repeats.
    4. When you exclude News from RTÉ2 .... well there is no news on RTÉ2

None of those 4 facts are due to Covid. This has been the case for at least a decade.

I'd argue Treasure Island (a New Zealand Suvivour knock off) is likely to attract the same type of people that watch Shortland Street (A New Zealand Knock off of Coronation Street).

I'd also agure even back then both RTÉ ONE and 2 should provided quality alternatives to TV3 (An Irish knock off of New Zealand's TV3) regardless of audience.

See what I did there!

They just know it's a losing battle to air anything in those timeslots. 9pm to 10/11 pm was also a complete disaster when Game of Thrones was popular. People turned over the Sky Atlantic to watch the show. RTE had nothing to offer. Treasure Island was their roughest lesson that the new millenium would bring new challenges. And they fell at the first hurdle.

It's long been established that RTE 2 is a deadzone. They don't even have a children's channel. They've let that channel die. The RTE player gets more help, and we all know what shape that's in.
    The supposed 'target age group' have far more options-RTE 2 is a relic now.

Similar to the last economic crash in 2008, the News on RTE tends to be the most watched program RTE produce. Especially when it comes to people wondering if they'll have a job tomorrow morning.
    But folks are noticing the bias creeping in. Family member's I know often tune into the BBC to get a better representation of the news... and even with the BBC's bias's, they're still less biased than RTE.

VM1 is more adaptive... but VM2 and VM3 are just graveyards for repeats. In the same bad shape as RTE 2.

They just know it's a losing battle to air anything in those timeslots. 9pm to 10/11 pm was also a complete disaster when Game of Thrones was popular. People turned over the Sky Atlantic to watch the show. RTE had nothing to offer. Treasure Island was their roughest lesson that the new millenium would bring new challenges. And they fell at the first hurdle.

RTÉ should at least try to put something different in those timeslots rather than just give up, I am not saying they should but their biggest shows at that time but they should put something up. I would suggest that TV3's Apprentice caused RTÉ2 in particular to loose faith in their own shows, and giving up on the Monday Night 9pm slot.
    It's long been established that RTE 2 is a deadzone. They don't even have a children's channel. They've let that channel die. The RTE player gets more help, and we all know what shape that's in.
    The supposed 'target age group' have far more options-RTE 2 is a relic now.

To me its a DEADZONE because RTÉ decided to give up on RTÉ2. They have nearly no original programming on the channel, and for the last 10 years have insisted on repeating RTÉ ONE's big Sunday night family entertainment shows.

Watch the RTÉ Player programmes start to deplete as someone in RTÉ suggests "well people have some many options now and really those Doireann Garrihy shows are good but no matter what we do we just can seem to tap that audience .... may be we should just I suppose I don't know GIVE UP, was I paid this week and anyone know when my next holiday is?"
    Similar to the last economic crash in 2008, the News on RTE tends to be the most watched program RTE produce. Especially when it comes to people wondering if they'll have a job tomorrow morning.
    But folks are noticing the bias creeping in. Family member's I know often tune into the BBC to get a better representation of the news... and even with the BBC's bias's, they're still less biased than RTE.

Because RTÉ have given up on any other type of programming since 2009.
    VM1 is more adaptive... but VM2 and VM3 are just graveyards for repeats. In the same bad shape as RTE 2.

Is VM1 more adaptive? When did this happen? Must have been that time they didn't broadcast Judge Judy. or more so the time the ran around like headless chickens on the arrival of UTV Ireland. Much like UTV Ireland they seem unable to broadcast many of the ITV shows they own, WWTBAM and The Chase both out of sync with ITV, and a number of other shows. There own programming depleted over the last 3 years with the return of Coro St and Emmerdale.

VM2 and VM3 were always going to be repeats but they should invest sometime as to what programmes they should repeat, because their isn't much difference between any of the Virgin Media Channels.

The only broadcaster taking risks is TG4 and even then I would say that they don't push it and have some of their own problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

retalivity wrote: »

That'd be hilarious if it wasn't so sad

Advertisement