Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I don't even have a television, so I only encounter RTE when there is some local interest doc or something on that ive heard through word of mouth, which means that I have to try and negotiate the disaster that is the RTE player to see whats going on before I usually give up in frustration.

That, and the news articles about what inane crap Tubridy or Claire Byrne are waffling on about, or how they want to charge me €160 a year for having a computer and/or phone to continue funding them.
    They can fcuk off with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I feel it has a huge advantage about where it's positioned on TV sets within the Virgin Media, Eir, Sky etc boxes. I'd say most when browsing will always start from 101 - giving RTE1 an excellent advantage.

But also, just shows how crap RTE2 has become, because of their terrible ratings. Even though they have such a plum position in the TV guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

retalivity wrote: »
    I don't even have a television, so I only encounter RTE when there is some local interest doc or something on that ive heard through word of mouth, which means that I have to try and negotiate the disaster that is the RTE player to see whats going on before I usually give up in frustration.

That, and the news articles about what inane crap Tubridy or Claire Byrne are waffling on about, or how they want to charge me €160 a year for having a computer and/or phone to continue funding them.
    They can fcuk off with that.

I attempt to use the rte player once a year for the late late toyshow as it's on too late for the kids. It usually ends up with us trying to find a repeat on rte (usually easy enough).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

McGaggs wrote: »
    I attempt to use the rte player once a year for the late late toyshow as it's on too late for the kids. It usually ends up with us trying to find a repeat on rte (usually easy enough).

Last time I attempted to use it was to try and get the Gay Byrne tribute show on it.

It crashed at the first advert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Last time I attempted to use it was to try and get the Gay Byrne tribute show on it.

It crashed at the first advert.

You were lucky then.
    Usually it crashes after a loop of 48 adverts. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Kivaro wrote: »
    You were lucky then.
    Usually it crashes after a loop of 48 adverts. :)

Crashes part way through. Restart. Plays 6 ads. Go to skip ahead to roughly where it was when it crashed. 7 ads play. Crashes after 7th ad.

Crashes part way through. Restart. Plays 6 ads. Go to skip ahead to roughly where it was when it crashed. 7 ads play. Crashes after 7th ad.
    Yep, that's our RTE Player alright.
    Money well spent by them again. If anything though, it just shows how dysfunctional they are. I bet anyone could get a small team of college coders to do a better job in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Yep, that's our RTE Player alright.
    Money well spent by them again. If anything though, it just shows how dysfunctional they are. I bet anyone could get a small team of college coders to do a better job in a few days.

You're thinking too big... there are Coder Dojo's around the country where national and secondary school children are learning to code.

You could bring them in, have them code the player, and get it done for a box of mars bars.

There ya go Dee, I've saved you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 padraig47

Rte is full of arrogant presenters. Tonight on Prime Time we had Miriam O’Callaghan aggressively questioning the Minister for Health. However while I agree that the Minister should be aggressively questioned, it should not be by MOC, who flouted regulations re COVID. One of the reasons for the spread of COVID is people not conforming to the rules, people like MOC. When the presenter on Sky broke the rules , she was suspended. RTÉ allow their staff to do as they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

padraig47 wrote: »
    Rte is full of arrogant presenters. Tonight on Prime Time we had Miriam O’Callaghan aggressively questioning the Minister for Health. However while I agree that the Minister should be aggressively questioned, it should not be by MOC, who flouted regulations re COVID. One of the reasons for the spread of COVID is people not conforming to the rules, people like MOC. When the presenter on Sky broke the rules , she was suspended. RTÉ allow their staff to do as they like.

Well I didn't see it, but he missed a fantastic opportunity to get a dig in at Miriam and her rte colleagues.

"Well as you know Miriam, not everyone is adhering to the L5 lockdown restrictions".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Aha give poor Miriam a break she is heartbroken that she cant be in the USA for Biden inauguration tomorrow.
    Her usual jaunt to the USA at the expense of the Irish payer is cancelled this time.
    I suppose a positive covid story for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well I didn't see it, but he missed a fantastic opportunity to get a dig in at Miriam and her rte colleagues.

"Well as you know Miriam, not everyone is adhering to the L5 lockdown restrictions".

On the very day Bryan Dobson made his public apology at the start of the 1oc news, he was later talking to Michele O'Neill and at the end of that piece he had to reluctantly mention the Bobby Storey funeral (cringeworthy stuff) and O'Neill didn't put the boot in (although she wanted to)

I think they're afraid to poke the bear.

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    On the very day Bryan Dobson made his public apology at the start of the 1oc news, he was later talking to Michele O'Neill and at the end of that piece he had to reluctantly mention the Bobby Storey funeral (cringeworthy stuff) and O'Neill didn't put the boot in (although she wanted to)

Unfortunately that is a big part of the problem on why RTE gets away with so much. Elected officials are not calling them out for their poor quality service, waste of public money, the outrageous salaries of some of their stars, biased and partial reporting, and obvious violations of various guidelines and rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Unfortunately that is a big part of the problem on why RTE gets away with so much. Elected officials are not calling them out for their poor quality service, waste of public money, the outrageous salaries of some of their stars, biased and partial reporting, and obvious violations of various guidelines and rules.

Its all a game they play for the publics consumption, hard to tell the dancer from the dance most of the time, the dancers swing round until the music stops, a few of em change places or take their seats and the music starts up again and on and on it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »

I think the apology was the next day. So she wasn't aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

According to RTE, its working 100% as intended....the adverts played, so they can charge the companies for running them. Whats the problem?

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    According to RTE, its working 100% as intended....the adverts played, so they can charge the companies for running them. Whats the problem?

Have to say two players I don't go near RTÉ and Virgin Media.

RTÉ's even if it gets better I have decided it doesn't work and never will, its been tainted

Virgin Media Player few shows I would be interested in but on occassion I might have looked to see something only to be confronted by 3 minutes of ads at the start of what I want to watch, including 3 minute portions of shows.

I really dislike the idea of before the live streams of the channels and that they don't just air the channel with the broadcast ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Elmo wrote: »
    I think the apology was the next day. So she wasn't aware.

BD's apology was on fri the 20th of Nov at 1.00pm

The IT
    Dobson also addressed the issue at the start of the News at One on RTÉ Radio One on Friday.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1120/1179337-coronavirus-northern-ireland/

Told ya I had a good memory:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭StevenToast

RTE release the top earners figures on Inauguration day for biden......hoping it gets lost in the noise of that.

Scum move RTE. I will not pay the licence fee.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

RTE release the top earners figures on Inauguration day for biden......hoping it gets lost in the noise of that.

Lanky string of piss tops the list again

• Advertisement

Personality 2019 2018 2017
    1 Ryan Tubridy 495 495 492
    2 Ray D'Arcy 450 450 450
    3 Joe Duffy 393 405 399
    4 Marian Finucane 358 333 315
    5 Sean O'Rourke 328 325 321
    6 Miriam O'Callaghan 320 322 299
    7 Claire Byrne 250 250 240
    8 Brendan O'Connor 220 240
    9 Bryan Dobson 209 209
    10 Mary Wilson 197
    10 and 8 George Hamilton 193 192
    9 Darragh Maloney 184
    10 Nicky Byrne 182

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Nicky Byrne 182k Jesus H Christ. Stealing a living.

There 15% reduction is laughable

1. One of those people passed away in 2020
    2. Another retired in 2020

That's at least 518,000 saving there and okay 2 people at the bottom of the pay role are added to the list, 300,000 bringing that saving down to 200,000 with the remaining 300,000 to be found from the 8 others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I would love to see a full list of everyone earning 100k+.
    You can guarantee there's loads more than Nicky Byrne raking in 6 figures that would boil your blood.

retalivity wrote: »
    I would love to see a full list of everyone earning 100k+.
    You can guarantee there's loads more than Nicky Byrne raking in 6 figures that would boil your blood.

TBH I am surprised that

Jenny Z
    The Six One Hosts
    Sharon Ni B
    David McC
    McDermott
    Jenny Green
    Tommy T. (May not be due to being a host of an indo production)

aren't on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why do they only release the Top 10?

Surely a FOI request could get a full list?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Elmo wrote: »
    TBH I am surprised that

Jenny Z
    The Six One Hosts
    Sharon Ni B
    David McC
    McDermott
    Jenny Green
    Tommy T. (May not be due to being a host of an indo production)

aren't on that list.

Don’t forget RTÉ star for life Lottie Ryan.

I bet she’s taking in 6 figures..

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why do they only release the Top 10?

Surely a FOI request could get a full list?

From 10 down to 100 there’s probably not a whole lot of difference numbers wise.... and I’d bet you’d need to get town to the 400+ number before you find someone earning under €100k

That would be the scandal, not the top 10 earners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Ray effin Darcy....Jesus wept. We are paying this lad over 100k more than the US president gets. I wouldn't trust the flute to tie his own shoes..

• Advertisement

RTÉ have 18,000 staff!!!!!

Eighteen thousand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement