Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,123 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

RTÉ have 18,000 staff!!!!!

Eighteen thousand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Boggles wrote: »
    :confused:

That’s what Ingrid Miley said on SixOne News!!!

I actually had to rewind it and listen again, she said 18,000 staff!!!!

Has to be a mistake no?? She said the median salary was €60k, so that would mean a payroll of over a billion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,123 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Has to be a mistake no?? She said the median salary was €60k, so that would mean a payroll of over a billion!!

Ingrid was at the early cans.

Think it's around 1,800-1,900.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

That and the top 10 salaries were just 1% of the overall cost of running the operation as if that excused the ridiculous trousering of the lucky 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The bastards.
    I bet they have 180,000 staff!
    How else can they be spending all that money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,530 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dee Forbes would actually make 5th place herself in 2019 with her package so to speak...
    Recent accounts show Dee Forbes, the director general, receives a salary of €250,000, a €25,000 car allowance and pension contributions of €63,000 – bringing her total remuneration package to €338,000.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/salaries-for-10-highest-paid-rt%C3%A9-presenters-amounted-to-3m-in-2016-1.4075822

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

When Dee is on that kind of money there won't be too many changes in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

No mention of what the 'agent to the stars' Mr Kelly, pockets from these brilliant presenters then.

Speaking of Noel Kelly - Darcy doesn't show up in his talent portfolio but I'd say he is the agent alright. As sure as there's sh!te in a dog, Darcy didn't negotiate a 450k p/a fee for himself on his own.

So that would be the top 3 and CB in the NKM stables. Makes me puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Well Dee, you can keep banging your drum...ill tell you to f*ck off with your licence fee.....

Imagine trying to justify those overpaid undeserving presenters by saying it accounts for just 1% of overall spend.....

Using Dee Forbes Logic...

Sure covid isnt too bad if it killed off 1% of the worlds population....

Thats 70,000,000 people Dee!!!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

The politicians are afraid to tackle RTE. That's the main problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Also just read the small print, Contractors Fees are excluding VAT, I suppose RTÉ claim this back but still, add 23% to most of those figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

f*ck off with your licence fee.....

Imagine trying to justify those overpaid undeserving presenters...
    The toy show alone more than covers Tubridy's salary for the year. A few episodes of the Den covers Darcy. Opel paid €300k to sponsor Claire Byrne's radio show. The top presenters bring in enough to cover their costs.

€145m brought in from Advertising in 2019. Top 10 presenters earned less than €3.5m between them. An Post got €27m for collecting the licence fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Scotty # wrote: »
    The toy show alone more than covers Tubridy's salary for the year. A few episodes of the Den covers Darcy. Opel paid €300k to sponsor Claire Byrne's radio show. The top presenters bring in enough to cover their costs.

€145m brought in from Advertising in 2019. Top 10 presenters earned less than €3.5m between them. An Post got €27m for collecting the licence fee.
    Take away the licence fee and the annual bailouts from the taxpayers and what happens to RTE? It doesn't matter if a bunch of overpaid and undertalented "personalities" are covering their salaries. It matters that the business is insolvent without bailouts.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    It matters that the business is insolvent without bailouts.
    Business? RTE was never a business. It's a public service and from day one was set up to be funded by a licence fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,530 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Business? RTE was never a business. It's a public service and from day one was set up to be funded by a licence fee.

Until it then decided it needed to take in advertising income, then decided it needed to sponsor shows, then decided they needed premium rate text competions on all live shows to extract every possible avenue of income to keep itself inefficiantly afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

A monkey could be hosting the Toy Show and it would still get advertising - nothing to do with the incompetent host

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

If the advertising is covering the costs of the hosts, why the hell is RTe operating (continually) at a deficit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I imagine that any Muppet could present those shows and they'd still get sponsorship.

Just to add to this. Sorry Scotty.

The Toy Show would make that even if Tubs wasn't hosting the show.

Both of D'Arcy's TV shows lost audiences from Breadan O'Connor's Saturday Night Show, this loss of audience cost RTÉ money., much more money than his Radio Show brings in.

Opel paid to sponsor Today which has had 3 main hosts in the last 20 years and has not lost much of an audience it is on Radio 1.

RTÉ spend 1% of their total costs on Indpendent Drama
    RTÉ spend 1% of their total costs on Children's TV

No one has ever said An Post deserve the money they get for the collection fee, which they seem unable to collect. That's just whataboutery .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Why do have so much time off?

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    A monkey could be hosting the Toy Show and it would still get advertising - nothing to do with the incompetent host
    McGaggs wrote: »
    I imagine that any Muppet could present those shows and they'd still get sponsorship.
    It's irrelevant who the presenter is. The point is it's not the licence fee that's paying their wages, it's the advertising.

But even IF presenters wages were paid solely by the licence fee, it's €3.2m out of €224m collected, that's 1.4% of the fee, or €2.24 from each licence. An Post get €19.20 from each fee ffs! Yet all the whinging seems to be about how much presenters are paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Dee Forbes would actually make 5th place herself in 2019 with her package so to speak...

Recent accounts show Dee Forbes, the director general, receives a salary of €250,000, a €25,000 car allowance and pension contributions of €63,000 – bringing her total remuneration package to €338,000.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/salaries-for-10-highest-paid-rt%C3%A9-presenters-amounted-to-3m-in-2016-1.4075822

No wonder she makes so much noise, thats a disgusting amount, what does she actually do? puts it into perspective though, need widespread refusal to pay, Id be ok with a public broadcaster fee, but with commensurate wages, for staff, and services, thats the kind of money a CEO of a very profitable private enterprise/multinational might expect to be bringing in, not a loss making organisation.
    Do they think we should fund their millionaire lifestyles?
    I'd pay for 2 orchestras, over 1 Dee Forbes.

What is it she does? other than a vocal mouthpiece harping on for the tv licence.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Why do have so much time off?

why does who have so much time off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

It's irrelevant who the presenter is. The point is it's not the licence fee that's paying their wages, it's the advertising.

But even IF presenters wages were paid solely by the licence fee, it's €3.2m out of €224m collected, that's 1.4% of the fee, or €2.24 from each licence. An Post get €19.20 from each fee ffs! Yet all the whinging seems to be about how much presenters are paid.

If thats the case, why si there even a licence fee at all? and why do they bang on about it all the time in a woe is me, the peasants are causing the downfall of such a great public service.
    The gall of Forbes on her pay to suggest shutting down the Orchestra,

How can they be losing money? its disgusting they are that bad at managing finances, cut their cloth to measure, and start at the top earners.
    Fix their online player service, I keep hearing its unsuseable, and move to a subscription service for anything above public service broadasting

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Do they publish figures of non front of house staff?
    i would think the middle management figures would make interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

carq wrote: »
    Do they publish figures of non front of house staff?
    i would think the middle management figures would make interesting reading.

There has to be at least another 300-500 people in RTÉ taking in between €120-€150k, and doing next to nothing to get that salary.....

Bring back the Secret RTÉ Producer....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

There has to be at least another 300-500 people in RTÉ taking in between €120-€150k, and doing next to nothing to get that salary.....

And that’s a conservative estimate, I would suggest, Andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I wish, because if what they said was true, then you have staff who do the breakdown and moving of sets on something close to €80000-90000 a year. Their contracts demanded they be paid for "Office hours" or 9-5 timelines...so when they had to work the 6:01 or 9pm news they are on "after hours" and got paid more, same for weekend work.....in a f***ing television/radio station that does live broadcasts regularly.

The whole station is a headcase :mad:

1874 wrote: »
    The gall of Forbes on her pay to suggest shutting down the Orchestra,
    The orchestra cost €17m/year, €46,500 per day! that's 291 TV licences EVERY DAY just to fund the orchestra. Do you really think it's value for money? LyricFM and RnaG cost another €18m between them. Good value too?

Forbes is running a company with revenue of €342m (2019) and is head of 1,830 staff. €338,000 salary (less than 0.1% of TO) is not excessive in the least.

Again, RTE is not there to make a profit. It's a public service funded by the TV licence and subsided with advertising. According to the 2019 report (the latest report) it would have made money that year if it weren't for the General Election coverage which cost about €8m.

A quarter of the workforce are on up to €150k?? LOL!

The orchestra cost €17m/year, €46,500 per day! that's 291 TV licences EVERY DAY just to fund the orchestra. Do you really think it's value for money? LyricFM and RnaG cost another €18m between them. Good value too?

NSO has this year moved to the NCH RTÉ. RTÉ insisted on this and now they have got it.

Both are part of RTÉ as a Public Service Broadcaster and have been in their current form since 1946 moving to RTÉ in 1966 when it was established.

Again LyricFM and RnaG provide public services.
    Forbes is running a company with revenue of €342m (2019) and is head of 1,830 staff. €338,000 salary (less than 0.1% of TO) is not excessive in the least.

How much do similar roles in other countries get? I don't not particularly have an issue with her wage, but when she moved she got a 50,000 moving fee!
    Again, RTE is not there to make a profit.

The act actually stipulates that it should breakeven. I'd agree RTÉ aren't there to make a profit, but they are their to produce TV and Radio. Is the 4 to 6 million in licence fee funding to 2FM really worthwhile, why not cut to 2FM over the last 10 years?
    It's a public service funded by the TV licence and subsided with advertising. According to the 2019 report (the latest report) it would have made money that year if it weren't for the General Election coverage which cost about €8m.

This idea that coverage of events that are due to take place is bogus. RTÉ largely know that an election takes place every 4 to 5 years except in exceptional circumstances. The last 3 government lasted 4 years, 5 years and 4 years and the FF/Green government should possibly have lasted less, FG and Labour very stable gov in terms of get a full term and final the FG FF supply and confidence was also largely stable for a very minority government. And I don't see an election anytime soon.

The last elections

24 May 2007
    25 Feb 2011
    26 Feb 2016
    8 Feb 2020

Between them you also have Refs, Presidential Elections and Local and European Elections again almost all known about long in advance, for example only if M D Higgins dies during his term we know the next presidential election will take place in 2025 and I imagine that if he does die it is likely there will not be an election.

COVID effects us all and should not be used as an excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

very good value. Especially for LyricFM

Advertisement