Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

retalivity wrote: »
    God he was awful, I remember him doing football once and he hadn't a clue. And how do you go from a commentator to head of sport?? Actually, I think I already know...

I see he know works for Channel 4 - talk about failing upwards.

They tried Aidan Power on Sports (he who is now at Ireland AM)... it was a genuine 'what are you doing?' moment.

Aidan was no Bill O'Herlihy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

God he was awful, I remember him doing football once and he hadn't a clue.
    They tried Aidan Power... Aidan was no Bill O'Herlihy.

Lads have ye not been reading the thread? Any trained monkey on minimum wage can present TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Scotty # wrote: »
    Lads have ye not been reading the thread? Any trained monkey on minimum wage can present TV.

:D A monkey with a personality :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

See Ray D'Arcy for evidence

McGaggs wrote: »
    See Ray D'Arcy for evidence

I think Ray needs a refresher course. Especially on the sound desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I think Ray needs a refresher course. Especially on the sound desk.

Maybe a beginners course would be a better start!

To think in one of his recent interviews (i.e. I need to be relevant so I need some puff piece in a rag website) he said he's always fearful of being fired and having to be a wedding DJ - god save the couple that would ever hire him

fritzelly wrote: »
    Maybe a beginners course would be a better start!

To think in one of his recent interviews (i.e. I need to be relevant so I need some puff piece in a rag website) he said he's always fearful of being fired and having to be a wedding DJ - god save the couple that would ever hire him

'And Betty and James requested 'Baby it's Cold outside' as their first dance as a couple...

....Awww...

But we won't be playing that, because that song's problematic and encourages rape culture, so here's 'Perfect' by Ed Sheeran instead'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ray’s been on €450k a year for the last few years (paying contractor tax), so if he hasn’t got his financial future handsomely secured at this stage he is indeed a very silly man.

Ray’s been on €450k a year for the last few years (paying contractor tax), so if he hasn’t got his financial future handsomely secured at this stage he is indeed a very silly man.

Gerry Ryan was another fella on huge money, but never had spare change.

We all know, now, why that was. If Ray was one of those unfortunate people who bought property that's now worth nothing, or invested it in schemes that are now worth nothing, then that might explain why he's not... wise with money. That and why he's still working.

I'd say the flop of his chatshow has probably dented his value somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Gerry Ryan was another fella on huge money, but never had spare change.

We all know, now, why that was. If Ray was one of those unfortunate people who bought property that's now worth nothing, or invested it in schemes that are now worth nothing, then that might explain why he's not... wise with money. That and why he's still working.

I'd say the flop of his chatshow has probably dented his value somewhat.
    He has a chat show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Can you imaging having that miserable yoke as your wedding DJ?

"stay away from that wedding cake now, too many empty calories"

Kivaro wrote: »
    He has a chat show?

Had... it was quietly killed off after an embarassing run.

Lucky for Ray, he blamed covid for it ending.

https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/rtes-ray-darcy-explains-saturday-22975183

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

The Future of Media Commission Online Thematic Dialogue is taking place today at 4:30 if any of you would like to register and fire some questions.

“What should public service content look like in the future, and how
    can the media engage diverse, hard-to-reach, audiences, including
    younger people, with such content?” Subsequent dialogues will consider other themes of interest to the Commission, including: innovation challenges; the importance of professional journalism for society and democracy; funding, governance and regulation. Dates for these dialogues will be announced in due
    course.

Members of the public and interested stakeholders can register their
    interest in attending the Thematic Dialogues at
    www.futureofmediacommission.ie. The events will also be live-streamed on
    the Commission’s website."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

It used to be the case that the Main Evening News bulletin (usually broadcast at or some time before or after 9 on Saturday) was shown some time after 11 on the evening of the Eurovision Song Contest Final. However, the increased number of countries involved in the contest means the coverage is much longer.

On the evening of the final in 2019, the bulletin wasn't broadcast at all. Given that I had read the TV schedule for that evening, I wasn't surprised. But I was astonished that viewers didn't even bat an eyelid at this!

Why couldn't RTÉ have just shown the bulletin on RTÉ2 instead? That's what was done when the final and the announcement of the same-sex marriage referendum took place on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

It used to be the case that the Main Evening News bulletin (usually broadcast at or some time before or after 9 on Saturday) was shown some time after 11 on the evening of the Eurovision Song Contest Final. However, the increased number of countries involved in the contest means the coverage is much longer.

On the evening of the final in 2019, the bulletin wasn't broadcast at all. Given that I had read the TV schedule for that evening, I wasn't surprised. But I was astonished that viewers didn't even bat an eyelid at this!

Why couldn't RTÉ have just shown the bulletin on RTÉ2 instead? That's what was done when the final and the announcement of the same-sex marriage referendum took place on the same day.

Has this been eating you up all this time?

How could you??! Coming on here with your sensible suggestions, wondering why RTE is as it is, with its numerous foibles and idiosyncrasies, and by so doing utterly dismissing the union issues, not to mention custom and practice?? :D

Maysa07 wrote: »
    The Future of Media Commission Online Thematic Dialogue is taking place today at 4:30 if any of you would like to register and fire some questions.

I bet that they only allow questions via text and no time to allow people to ask a question, I asked a question at the FIS summit which was reduced down to the first part, had people been given the ability to ask a question they could put it as they like not in the way the moderator wants to call it out. Hopefully we will get to ask rather than type.

RTÉ had cut their late night bulletins at that point. The Friday night news on ONE was pretty much a replacement for NEWS2/NEWS ON 2 which used to air Monday - Thursday, it was always an extended edition of the late news on RTÉ ONE which no longer exists. Along with News on 2 and Morning news bulletins on RTÉ ONE.

I think the only TV news bulletins are now at lunch time on RTÉ ONE on Sat and Sun along with a bulletin before the TODAY show.

RTE2's only news is News2Day.

Not forgetting that 2FM lost its nightly news bulletins also.

This is an organisation that runs a 24 hour news channel !!!!!

Sorry the Late Night News Bulletin was re-Eurovision, so it aired on Saturday night and went out because the 9 news was moved from the schedule for the Eurovision, but the above still applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

celt262 wrote: »
    Has this been eating you up all this time?

I think it's worth mentioning because it's unprecedented.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

very good value. Especially for LyricFM

The orchestras are a complete waste of money. The general public are not forced to subsidise any other types of music. It's not as if people can't listen to whatever they want from around the world for free anyway.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

The orchestras are a complete waste of money. The general public are not forced to subsidise any other types of music. It's not as if people can't listen to whatever they want from around the world for free anyway.

NSO has moved to NCH, with €8m going to it from budget 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Yes, but they bring in no revenue, so it's funded entirely from the licence fee.

The big presenters bring in ad revenue, and therefor are not funded by the licence fee.

They do in their fuk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

I would disagree with that, Id have an Orchestra or two paid and sack all the top earners (arent they private contractors anyway to get around tax, so it should be used against them), I consider an Orchestra of musicians is more valuable than the handful of top earners, who imo are holding up positions, especially the like Joe Duffy, that guy is painful to listen to, is an Orchestra? Ray Darcy stutters a good bit too and seems to fumble his way through stuff, I would point blank turn him off if I happened to come across him and I did not use to mind him because he seemed more young at heart, but he has gotten quite self righteous imo and at one point I heard him cutting down someone, I had enough.
    Now I did used to think Tubridy wasnt bad on the Radio, I used to have him on when I was driving home but there was a risk of falling asleep, so he was moderately lively, I dont think he should be on TV, awful.
    Dont listen to any of them anymore, it'd be by chance.

Whatever they do does not justifiably command the money they are on, if they think so RTE should let them see how much they can get, small fish in a very small pond, wouldnt get the adulation and pay for the same work in the UK.

Elmo wrote: »
    NSO has moved to NCH, with €8m going to it from budget 2021.

Could you elaborate, they arent within the remit of RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Whatever happened the second orchestra, where is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Caspian Petite Corner

Who the hell produces the Late LATE and allowed that supposedly "light entertainment" show to see the light of day with one misery story after another...dont we get enough of it with the news/prime time/Claire Byrne ....It comes off as a show dedicated to getting Joe Duffy aroused

Who the hell produces the Late LATE and allowed that supposedly "light entertainment" show to see the light of day with one misery story after another...dont we get enough of it with the news/prime time/Claire Byrne ....It comes off as a show dedicated to getting Joe Duffy aroused

The promotion of Pieta House was sickening.

https://www.echo.ie/lucan/article/pieta-house-criticised-over-salaries-of-staff

Pieta has been raking in money, but those who need it are being abandoned. Some of their locations are closing down, across the country... relying on volunteers who've helped out close friends of mine (and some extended family) and yet the organisation is squandering money (and this is pre-covid, not post covid).

RTE has been misery 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for a long time now

Pretty much every show on RTE radio HAS to have at least one misery slot to make sure we never feel happy with our lives

RTE One is completely devoid of entertainment in fact more a case of forcing misery down your throat every evening is their warped sense of entertainment
    LLS being a prime example of if you're not feeling miserable you should be ashamed of yourself - it's like the Catholic church all over

It's quite sickening that we are paying for this (and soon to be everyone will be forced to pay for it) when you look at other broadcasters around the world who actually provide entertainment (and in many places you don't even have to pay a licence fee)

RTE has been misery 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for a long time now

Pretty much every show on RTE radio HAS to have at least one misery slot to make sure we never feel happy with our lives

RTE One is completely devoid of entertainment in fact more a case of forcing misery down your throat every evening is their warped sense of entertainment
    LLS being a prime example of if you're not feeling miserable you should be ashamed of yourself - it's like the Catholic church all over

It's quite sickening that we are paying for this (and soon to be everyone will be forced to pay for it) when you look at other broadcasters around the world who actually provide entertainment (and in many places you don't even have to pay a licence fee)

It's worse that there's few if any options right now, because folks are being hit in the pocket. And they can't go out.

So it's just 'stay home, watch tv'... tune into the most depressing thing on TV outside of a repeat of Schindler's List.

It's worse that there's few if any options right now, because folks are being hit in the pocket. And they can't go out.

So it's just 'stay home, watch tv'... tune into the most depressing thing on TV outside of a repeat of Schindler's List.

Or Mrs Brown Boys Christmas Special in summer - like WTF, do they even bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,529 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Whatever happened the second orchestra, where is that?

What I don't understand is whoy doesn't RTE tell Dept Of Music People, Arts (whatever it's called now) that financing of the Orchestras should not fall under their remit and exposure to this blowing of money should be to a government agency only.

Advertisement